Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 21:33   #4666
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Jac, there are plenty of body and lenses on sale on a daily basis at BPC forum. Please have a look BPC Forums • Login. Also have a look at JJ Mehta forum. You will get many choices.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th August 2010 at 21:35.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 21:47   #4667
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jac, there are plenty of body and lenses on sale on a daily basis at BPC forum. Please have a look BPC Forums • Login. Also have a look at JJ Mehta forum. You will get many choices.
Can you / anyone answer the below"

For canon 1000d, i would need the following lens :
1. 18-55 lens ?? for normal / portrait photography
2. 50-200 lens ?? for zoom based pics + focal length advantage
3. A macro lens ?? which one ?

Q: Is that all that i would require ?
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 22:51   #4668
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Can you / anyone answer the below"

For canon 1000d, i would need the following lens :
1. 18-55 lens ?? for normal / portrait photography
2. 50-200 lens ?? for zoom based pics + focal length advantage
3. A macro lens ?? which one ?

Q: Is that all that i would require ?
If you want to cover "normal circumstances" like some pictures of landscape, some normal events, you would need a 18-55.
If you want speciality portrait lens, I would recommend a 50mm f1.8 which costs around 5K(one of the inexpensive in the canon stable)

For 3. Sigma 105mm macro or Tamaron 90mm macros are one of the best. 100mm is a good working distance for most macros.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 10:35   #4669
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Can you / anyone answer the below"

For canon 1000d, i would need the following lens :
1. 18-55 lens ?? for normal / portrait photography
2. 50-200 lens ?? for zoom based pics + focal length advantage
3. A macro lens ?? which one ?

Q: Is that all that i would require ?
Here is a basic lens list for the D1000/550D
18-55 IS
55-250 IS
60/2.8 Macro
50/1.4

a step higer
15-85/3.5-5.6 IS or 17-40/4 (if you are willing to sacrifice the 40-70 range)
70-200/4 IS
100/2.8 Macro
50/1.4

After a 24-70/2.8 IS or 70-200/2.8 IS (my friend was playing with both) stripped my friend's 550D's mount (my friend admits he was not careful and did not hold the lens) I wonder if these big lenses make sense on the smaller bodies.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 11:43   #4670
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jac, there are plenty of body and lenses on sale on a daily basis at BPC forum. Please have a look BPC Forums • Login. Also have a look at JJ Mehta forum. You will get many choices.
Thanks Shaju, I started my journey in BPC but not convinced in paying more than a 1000D Kit for a 2+ year/20000 clicks used body without any warranty.

As you know, this is my first DSLR and need to live with it for 3-4 years. My preference is Macro>Wildlife & Birds>Landscapes>Portraits, need some solid help here since my budget is strictly 30~35K only due to various family commitments.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 11:53   #4671
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
For canon 1000d, i would need the following lens :
1. 18-55 lens ?? for normal / portrait photography
2. 50-200 lens ?? for zoom based pics + focal length advantage
3. A macro lens ?? which one ?
Q: Is that all that i would require ?
To be frank, if you are new to DSLR, an 18-55 kit lens is all what you will need for atleast 6 months or more. There is a wide range of things that comes within this basic lens, at the same time, learning technical aspects of the ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, Metering, Exposure, DOF etc. Tele lenses are easy attraction to everyone, but not necessary it should be of a great help unless your field of interest is exclusively that.

If you dont mind moving yourself than zooming functions, get a 50mm 1.8 prime, enjoy the versatility, sharpness and quality of shots before planning any other lenses. Macro should be your last priority, its a very tough thing which needs a dedicated lens, lots of patience and time. Have the body with one lens, than swapping between lenses and inviting trouble to the mount and sensor before getting a knack of the basic things.

Jac, dont hurry. There have been plenty of excellent condition body and kit sold in the recent weeks. Just wait for the right one within your budget and taste, you will find it. Your budget upto 35k includes even brand new D3000 and D5000 easily (grey). Pick up a new body and get a 18-55 lens from the forums, you would eventually stick to the body and keep eying for lenses.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 12:13   #4672
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Your budget upto 35k includes even brand new D3000 and D5000 easily (grey). Pick up a new body and get a 18-55 lens from the forums, you would eventually stick to the body and keep eying for lenses.
One feature I wish my camera (40D) had (it just makes LiveView so much more useable) is a tilt screen. The Nikon D5000 has it. It is a lot of fun.

Spend a greater portion of your budget on the lens. Bodies get obsolete faster.

If I were getting the D5000 I'd consider the 18-105 VR or 16-85VR over the 18-55 VR. This will allow you to get a 70-300 VR later without leaving a hole in your zoom range. Nikon has a 55-200 which a touch shorter than Canon's 55-250 and at least I noticed the 50mm difference.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 12:28   #4673
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
.....a tilt screen. The Nikon D5000 has it. It is a lot of fun......Spend a greater portion of your budget on the lens. Bodies get obsolete faster.
Navinji, very true, D5000 tilt screen will save the photographer from crawling on the floor for that unusual angles and even jumping over a wall of people to get that hidden view. What I meant by used 18-55 kit lens is the potential of ditching a kit lens for something better later, so we dont lose anything by the buy and sell action. I had bought Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 for low light indoor needs as the kit 18-55 was giving very noisy indoor images and a totally flattened, blown out image with the built-in-flash.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 12:54   #4674
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jac, dont hurry. There have been plenty of excellent condition body and kit sold in the recent weeks. Just wait for the right one within your budget and taste, you will find it. Your budget upto 35k includes even brand new D3000 and D5000 easily (grey). Pick up a new body and get a 18-55 lens from the forums, you would eventually stick to the body and keep eying for lenses.
Sure Shaju, I'm not at all in hurry. My 35K budget is for all mandatory accessories like Body, Lens, Carrybag, Battery pack, Memory card etc to start with and may not be in a position to invest anything quickly after this. I'll PM you for consultancy services .

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
One feature I wish my camera (40D) had (it just makes LiveView so much more useable) is a tilt screen. The Nikon D5000 has it. It is a lot of fun.

Spend a greater portion of your budget on the lens. Bodies get obsolete faster.

If I were getting the D5000 I'd consider the 18-105 VR or 16-85VR over the 18-55 VR. This will allow you to get a 70-300 VR later without leaving a hole in your zoom range. Nikon has a 55-200 which a touch shorter than Canon's 55-250 and at least I noticed the 50mm difference.
Thanks Navin, thats what I'm trying to do by sourcing a slightly body saving 60% of my budget for Lens eventually when I learn things.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 14:58   #4675
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Sure Shaju, I'm not at all in hurry. My 35K budget is for all mandatory accessories like Body, Lens, Carrybag, Battery pack, Memory card etc to start with and may not be in a position to invest anything quickly after this. I'll PM you for consultancy services .

Thanks Navin, thats what I'm trying to do by sourcing a slightly body saving 60% of my budget for Lens eventually when I learn things.

Jacs, I am of the following opinion

1. Anything in Electronics, there is no point in buying an old/second hand or the stuff which is on the verge of getting discontinued, if the value of the goods being bought is >5000 RS. It is difficult to get the support if anything goes bad/wrong, one is left with the crying baby.


2. no one would need everything at the same time. even if it is bought, one may not be able use it. Any artform needs time to learn, more time to mature, still more time to perfect, more and more time to master.
Photography is an art, any one would need time learn even the basics.

If i were you, i would buy a decent enough camera e.g. D5000 or D550 or D90. If i do not have the budget, then i would save for few months and then buy the thing what i would use atleast for next 3-5-7 years.

That is what exactly i did when i bought my D90 with 18-105VR kit lens with 4GB memory card with one battery. Many cameras would come with a standard bag which is good enough to be used during initial months.

This was in June, In july i bought a memory card 16GB. I found the camera battery lasts for 2 full days, i do not think i will use them for any longer period continuously, hence i have still not bought any battery pack etc.

One also needs time to master the settings and the camera controls.
this coupled with initial learnings about exposure, ISO, shutter speed etc would take several weeks/couple of months easily.

My next purchase would be Sept, i might buy a sack just prior to Kaas Trip
i think, i will need a tripod only after i fully master the hand held photography.

Your kit should follow your knowledge and not the other way round.
just my opinion.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 10th August 2010 at 15:15.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 16:34   #4676
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Jacs, I am of the following opinion

1. Anything in Electronics, there is no point in buying an old/second hand or the stuff which is on the verge of getting discontinued, if the value of the goods being bought is >5000 RS. It is difficult to get the support if anything goes bad/wrong, one is left with the crying baby.


2. no one would need everything at the same time. even if it is bought, one may not be able use it. Any artform needs time to learn, more time to mature, still more time to perfect, more and more time to master.
Photography is an art, any one would need time learn even the basics.

If i were you, i would buy a decent enough camera e.g. D5000 or D550 or D90. If i do not have the budget, then i would save for few months and then buy the thing what i would use atleast for next 3-5-7 years.

That is what exactly i did when i bought my D90 with 18-105VR kit lens with 4GB memory card with one battery. Many cameras would come with a standard bag which is good enough to be used during initial months.

This was in June, In july i bought a memory card 16GB. I found the camera battery lasts for 2 full days, i do not think i will use them for any longer period continuously, hence i have still not bought any battery pack etc.

One also needs time to master the settings and the camera controls.
this coupled with initial learnings about exposure, ISO, shutter speed etc would take several weeks/couple of months easily.

My next purchase would be Sept, i might buy a sack just prior to Kaas Trip
i think, i will need a tripod only after i fully master the hand held photography.

Your kit should follow your knowledge and not the other way round.
just my opinion.
Sorry guys, I'm going bit OT.

Thanks Star, I know you always talk from experience. I am also a strict no second hand guy when it comes to Electronics. But having serious budget constraint due to some recent investments (read as future planning) and may not be able to budget more for my personal things (this is something I buy to satisfy me, family is happy with our beloved Fuji) even if I wait for an year (my son will be a school going kid in another 2 years and I had to plan very tight to ensure things are safe). Only options I have is

1) I should start with brand new 1000D + a kit lens and add a Sigma 55-300 IS Macro or suitable ones in another couple of months when I am comfortable with the stuff. If this would keep me running for 2 to 3 years, I'm a happy guy waiting for free time.

or

2) Live with my P&S cam for another 1 to 2 years so that I have enough pocket money to afford a D90 or similiar one with required accessories (60-70K). Is it worth the wait? I could become a DSLR guy by that time if choice 1 is taken?

or

3) Get hold of slightly used one (<20K) but better models and start action. Have 15K in hand for any repairs, but beyond that would pause my fun.

Last edited by jacs : 10th August 2010 at 16:40.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 16:56   #4677
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,488 Times
Default

About 3 weeks back I found myself in a strange situation. I was about to go to an Offroad event, but my primary dSLR E3 was in Bangalore and I was in Manipal. So I was forced to take the old faithful dSLR E-500, which was originally released in 2005.

Apart from struggling a little in low light and with lesser wide angle, it didn't make much of a difference. So much for the latest and the greatest...
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:35   #4678
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
If you want to cover "normal circumstances" like some pictures of landscape, some normal events, you would need a 18-55.
If you want speciality portrait lens, I would recommend a 50mm f1.8 which costs around 5K(one of the inexpensive in the canon stable)

For 3. Sigma 105mm macro or Tamaron 90mm macros are one of the best. 100mm is a good working distance for most macros.
Thanks for the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Here is a basic lens list for the D1000/550D
18-55 IS
55-250 IS
60/2.8 Macro
50/1.4

a step higer
15-85/3.5-5.6 IS or 17-40/4 (if you are willing to sacrifice the 40-70 range)
70-200/4 IS
100/2.8 Macro
50/1.4

After a 24-70/2.8 IS or 70-200/2.8 IS (my friend was playing with both) stripped my friend's 550D's mount (my friend admits he was not careful and did not hold the lens) I wonder if these big lenses make sense on the smaller bodies.
Thanks. The basic setup, i think, would be more than enough to keep me occupied for sometime. I will buy the 1000d with the basic lens now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
To be frank, if you are new to DSLR, an 18-55 kit lens is all what you will need for atleast 6 months or more. There is a wide range of things that comes within this basic lens, at the same time, learning technical aspects of the ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, Metering, Exposure, DOF etc. Tele lenses are easy attraction to everyone, but not necessary it should be of a great help unless your field of interest is exclusively that.

If you dont mind moving yourself than zooming functions, get a 50mm 1.8 prime, enjoy the versatility, sharpness and quality of shots before planning any other lenses. Macro should be your last priority, its a very tough thing which needs a dedicated lens, lots of patience and time. Have the body with one lens, than swapping between lenses and inviting trouble to the mount and sensor before getting a knack of the basic things.
Thanks. I am not new to DSLR. I have been practising on my friends and family DSLR for sometimenow (Nikon D90 / Cannon 400d / Sony cyber shot DSCW5 ).

Question: What basic accessories should you buy along with the cam:
1. memory card ? how many gb would be decent ? ( i would prefer to invest here in one shot)
2. tripod (not as of now)
3. camera bag (I personally like lowerpro backpacks) Any other bags already tested & recommended ?? (must be WATERPROOF)
4. Extra battery ??
5. Anything else that i am missing above ??
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 18:39   #4679
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Upgrading from 400D to 50D

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my Canon 400D. So far I have chosen 50D. My requirement is not the mega pixel or shutter speed. I am expecting crystle clear photos of landscap as well low light photography. Can anybody suggest if 50D is good buy for my requirement?

I am also planning to buy Tokina 11-16/2.8, i read lense review, seems good to me.

Please provide your input.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 18:42   #4680
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Find my answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks for the update

Thanks. The basic setup, i think, would be more than enough to keep me occupied for sometime. I will buy the 1000d with the basic lens now.

Question: What basic accessories should you buy along with the cam:
1. memory card ? how many gb would be decent ? ( i would prefer to invest here in one shot)
A 4GB SD Card would be more than enough. Look for high speed cards. No point in investing for the future here. Memory will get bigger, faster and cheaper with time. You'll end up loser if you invest in high capacity for higher price now.
2. tripod (not as of now)
3. camera bag (I personally like lowerpro backpacks) Any other bags already tested & recommended ?? (must be WATERPROOF)
The choices are endless. What's your budget?
4. Extra battery ?? Not Required
5. Anything else that i am missing above ?? No
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 128 26th June 2015 20:49
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks