Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 19:10   #4681
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my Canon 400D. So far I have chosen 50D. My requirement is not the mega pixel or shutter speed, I am fine with my 400D's 1/4000. My main requirement is, I am expecting crystle clear photos of landscap as well low light photography. Can anybody suggest if 50D is good buy for my requirement?

I am also planning to buy Tokina 11-16/2.8, i read lense review, seems good to me.

Please provide your input.
Attached word document contains the major specification differences between 50D, 500D, 550D extracted from Canon webiste. I do not understand most of them, your experties should help.

Canon50D.doc

Last edited by Samurai : 10th August 2010 at 19:20. Reason: remove font tags
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:09   #4682
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my Canon 400D. So far I have chosen 50D. My requirement is not the mega pixel or shutter speed. I am expecting crystle clear photos of landscap as well low light photography. Can anybody suggest if 50D is good buy for my requirement?

I am also planning to buy Tokina 11-16/2.8, i read lense review, seems good to me.

Please provide your input.
Eh? Whats the current set of lens you have?

Wont a good lens like a 50mm/f1.8 or 1.4help?

@shaju: D5000 with kit lens etc costs less than 35k with bill these days

Last edited by jkdas : 10th August 2010 at 20:18.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:35   #4683
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
.......So much for the latest and the greatest...
Couldnt agree more ! Infact thats the truth. Nikon D40 was introduced in 2006 as far as I know, I still find it with studio guys who cover functions and events with a prime lens to match. Can I beat them with my D90 in quality? I doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
...What basic accessories should you buy along with the cam.....
Infact nothing. Whatever you need usually comes as part of the kit or you can bargain for including them (memory card, basic bag etc.). Anything extra is out of our intention to upgrade or add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
......I am planning to upgrade my Canon 400D......I am expecting crystle clear photos of landscap as well low light photography.
Pawan, if your intention is sharp photos, dont upgrade your 400D, thats more than enough. Get a prime lens (single 'mm' value like 35mm, 50mm, 85mm etc. and fixed aperture like 1.4 or 1.8 or 2.8), which will change your perspective towards sharpness and clarity. Invest in good lenses, retain the 400D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
@shaju: D5000 with kit lens etc costs less than 35k with bill these days
Yes, I meant he could get every basic accessories what he wants with his 35k choosing a D5000 body in grey.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:46   #4684
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Find my answers in bold.
Thanks Jaguar. My budget is around 5k ish. If you could list some brands / models etc, that be great.
AFAIK, lowerpro seems to be good, not sure if they fit in my budget.
What are most of team-bhp shutterbugs using ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Infact nothing. Whatever you need usually comes as part of the kit or you can bargain for including them (memory card, basic bag etc.). Anything extra is out of our intention to upgrade or add.
True, very true.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 21:19   #4685
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
1) I should start with brand new 1000D + a kit lens and add a Sigma 55-300 IS

2) Live with my P&S cam for another 1 to 2 years

3) Get hold of slightly used one (<20K) but better models and start action.
If you can get hold of a old 20D or 30D and a 17-85 lens for 25K or so and spend another 10K of service go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Question: What basic accessories should you buy along with the cam:
1. memory card ? how many gb would be decent ? ( i would prefer to invest here in one shot)
2. tripod (not as of now)
3. camera bag (I personally like lowerpro backpacks) Any other bags already tested & recommended ?? (must be WATERPROOF)
4. Extra battery ??
5. Anything else that i am missing above ??
memory - 8GB extreme III
tripod - manfrotto
bag - tamrac, kata and thinktank - kata offers good VFM, Thinktank is just plain superb just look at their backpacks.
battery - i'd consider a battery pack
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:17   #4686
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Blr -> Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Hi Guys

I am planning to buy Nikon D90 with 18-200 VR II lens to start with. First thought of buying 18-55, 55-200 & 50 f/1.8, then one of my friend sugested to go with 18-200 as its convinient & covers entire range.
I have used P&S camera for around 8-9yrs & now want to upgrade.
On the budget front I am stretching a bit but its ok.
I use for travel photography & yet to learn tricks of SLR cameras. Also I rarely take printout.

Does my choice of 18-200 suffice or any other option i have.
Will be getting it from US, D90 - 900$(JR) & lens around 650$(B&H).
This week i need to confirm for purchase..

Pl help to decide.
Tks, Hemanth
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:45   #4687
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Thanks Navin, Shaju and all others. I am not in a hurry, will wait patiently for a slightly used one in warranty with a 20-30% savings.

@Tiger, D90 body sells less than 40K in Indian grey market as updated by other BHPians. Is USD 900 worth the efforts if warranty could be a problem in future.

JJ Mehta price for D90 with 18-105mm VR kit is 54.9K.

Last edited by jacs : 10th August 2010 at 22:47.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:47   #4688
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
memory - 8GB extreme III
tripod - manfrotto
bag - tamrac, kata and thinktank - kata offers good VFM, Thinktank is just plain superb just look at their backpacks.
battery - i'd consider a battery pack
Thanks Navin. Will start researching on the same.

FYI - Tamrac's local distributor is Shetala :: Home Page - chennai based

Kata, NGC are available on photosystem india
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 23:18   #4689
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Hi Guys

I am planning to buy Nikon D90 with 18-200 VR II lens to start with. First thought of buying 18-55, 55-200 & 50 f/1.8, then one of my friend sugested to go with 18-200 as its convinient & covers entire range.
I have used P&S camera for around 8-9yrs & now want to upgrade.
On the budget front I am stretching a bit but its ok.
I use for travel photography & yet to learn tricks of SLR cameras. Also I rarely take printout.

Does my choice of 18-200 suffice or any other option i have.
Will be getting it from US, D90 - 900$(JR) & lens around 650$(B&H).
This week i need to confirm for purchase..

Pl help to decide.
Tks, Hemanth
Coming from p & S, this looks good set-up. If you are planning lots of portraits, you can still buy 50 f/1.8 or 35 f/1.8!

Any particular reason for D90? You should look also at D5000 or D3000 as well. You can save some money on cam body! Saved money you can invest on lens!

The prices in Amazon for D90 are around 850! Any reason choosing JR?
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 11:39   #4690
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Eh? Whats the current set of lens you have?

Wont a good lens like a 50mm/f1.8 or 1.4help?

@shaju: D5000 with kit lens etc costs less than 35k with bill these days
I have Canon 18-55 IS and Canon 55-250 IS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pawan, if your intention is sharp photos, dont upgrade your 400D, thats more than enough. Get a prime lens (single 'mm' value like 35mm, 50mm, 85mm etc. and fixed aperture like 1.4 or 1.8 or 2.8), which will change your perspective towards sharpness and clarity. Invest in good lenses, retain the 400D.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try with fix aparture lens first, EF 20mm f/2.8 or EF 50mm f1.8, huge price difference. The advantage is 20mm wide angle which I want but f/2.8, other lens advantage is f/1.8 but it is only 50mm. What are the advantage of USM ? How much difference will make 2.8 over 1.8 ?
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:10   #4691
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
FYI - Tamrac's local distributor is .......Kata, NGC are available on...
Remember Shetala sells it close to MRP, so its a huge difference for any item they sell. How many people pick up a bag with bill and warranty, you must be kidding. Shetala prices are published on their website, cross check with Jayesh or RK and see the difference of price. If someone wants to take things from Chennai, search for Millenium Photos (Dass) or FotoTrade, both are known for its own merits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I have Canon 18-55 IS and Canon 55-250 IS.........EF 20mm f/2.8 or EF 50mm f1.8, huge price difference. The advantage is 20mm wide angle.....
Get the 50mm 1.8, you wont regret it ever. Its a multi purpose lens. You already have a 18-55, so going for another 20mm may not make much of a difference. Best landscapes are mostly shot on a tripod, so you can play with a higher ISO or a slower shutter speed without quality issues. If you are very particular about landscapes, Tokina 11-16 (which you had in mind) will serve the purpose perfectly. But that will be an exclusive ultra wide angle lens hardly useful for other fields.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 15:01   #4692
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

If anybody has landscape photographs out of Canon 50mm 1.8, please post here.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 15:08   #4693
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default

hi pawan, why do you specifically want landscape shots?
If you want to see what landscape at 85mm(35mm equivalent looks like) any lens will do.
If you are wondering about the sharpness of this lens in general, well let me assure you, its a real gem with biting sharpness, esp around F3.5-F5.6.
Its a little soft wide open, but nothing which cannot be fixed in PP.
I used it for landscape photography while shooting Infrared. Its tough to compose such narrow landscapes, here is a sample
Name:  515158280_ez7p5L.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  513748071_JiPcRL.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  512527849_QzTizL.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  130.8 KB
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 16:57   #4694
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Remember Shetala sells it close to MRP, so its a huge difference for any item they sell. How many people pick up a bag with bill and warranty, you must be kidding. Shetala prices are published on their website, cross check with Jayesh or RK and see the difference of price. If someone wants to take things from Chennai, search for Millenium Photos (Dass) or FotoTrade, both are known for its own merits.
Thanks Shajufx for the clarity. Its small details like these which make t-bhp a great knowledge hub.

cheers
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 17:25   #4695
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
hi pawan, why do you specifically want landscape shots?
If you want to see what landscape at 85mm(35mm equivalent looks like) any lens will do.
If you are wondering about the sharpness of this lens in general, well let me assure you, its a real gem with biting sharpness, esp around F3.5-F5.6.
Its a little soft wide open, but nothing which cannot be fixed in PP.
I used it for landscape photography while shooting Infrared. Its tough to compose such narrow landscapes, here is a sample
Thanks for comments on 50mm. Basically I am in Europe and planning to return this year end. Before returning I want to capture the beauty of Europe as much as possible. So looking for good lens, I placed an order on amazon for 111 EUR, I should get it day after tomorrow. Will post the result.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 128 26th June 2015 20:49
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks