Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 19:01   #5551
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Are you getting that new 2.8L lens? What price you're getting it for?
Rudra sir, it is the non-IS USM, I paid 437 EUR. Tthe IS version is for 747 EUR. Is there any other difference apart from the IS ? If so please let me know what are the differences, I can return upto 1 month, can go for the IS version.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 19:05   #5552
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
......I dropped a plan to buy wide angle....next buy is Canon 7D, if budget permits I will go for Canon 5d Mark2 for its full frame capability.
You should get the 5D Mark II, someone was selling it on team-bhp classifieds few days back for 1 lakh (body only) in 'few months used' condition. Its reviewed to be a fantastic bang for the buck ! The 55-250 is a basic lens, cant expect any miracles from it anyway ! All these 'kit' category is only good for properly lit situations.

I think Rudraji recently picked up a 5D Mark II with his Diwali bonus , you can ask his professional opinion.

If your new lens (100mm) is solely for macro, you wont need auto-focus nor IS, because majority of the macros are done in 100% manual, on a tripod.

Last edited by shajufx : 11th November 2010 at 19:11.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 19:34   #5553
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You should get the 5D Mark II, someone was selling it on team-bhp classifieds few days back for 1 lakh (body only)

If your new lens (100mm) is solely for macro, you wont need auto-focus nor IS, because majority of the macros are done in 100% manual, on a tripod.
I just checked classified for 5D Mark II, seems like the ad is removed. But Amazon price is 1887 EUR = 1,15,000 Ru, so it is not really deal breaker.

I am coming to Indian on 28 Jan 2011 for 1 month. Please let me know if someone selling 5D Mark II in good condition, I will buy it.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 19:50   #5554
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Quoted price may not be always the selling price, I am sure people bargain to their best. And its very rare that you find someone selling a full frame body thats a latest launch from leading brands like Canon or Nikon. I keep searching classifieds for friends in need, but never came across a Nikon D3S or D3X or Canon Pro series (1D Mark IV, 5 D Mark II, 1 Ds Mark III etc.). Because these are high-end models which doesn't have an upgrade yet !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 10:05   #5555
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,110
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I just checked classified for 5D Mark II, seems like the ad is removed. But Amazon price is 1887 EUR = 1,15,000 Ru, so it is not really deal breaker.
Please remember that you have to pay a duty of about 25%, so the price quoted here is not all that bad.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:15   #5556
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Please remember that you have to pay a duty of about 25%, so the price quoted here is not all that bad.
I am staying in Europe, so, no duty

Guys, check this 80 Mega Pixel camera, Leaf Aptus-II 12 80MP digital camera back
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:41   #5557
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Pawan, dont get carried away with higher Megapixel cameras, if you want to create a high megapixel image, you can also do it with your normal DSLR through stitching. Its a fact not known to many. I stitched a church image from 19 images last week, original result was 31 MB file with 146 Megapixel !! I had posted it on image thread too (5% of the original) .

So, if you want to print a huge wall paper of your favorite landscape, click more images from left to right or bottom to top, technically 30% should overlap each other, use exposure lock, you will get the sharpest, widest and tallest image at your disposal. Have fun !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 14:01   #5558
BHPian
 
Speed Pujari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 385 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pawan, dont get carried away with higher Megapixel cameras, if you want to create a high megapixel image, you can also do it with your normal DSLR through stitching. Its a fact not known to many. I stitched a church image from 19 images last week, original result was 31 MB file with 146 Megapixel !! I had posted it on image thread too (5% of the original) .

So, if you want to print a huge wall paper of your favorite landscape, click more images from left to right or bottom to top, technically 30% should overlap each other, use exposure lock, you will get the sharpest, widest and tallest image at your disposal. Have fun !
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 14:18   #5559
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pawan, dont get carried away with higher Megapixel cameras, if you want to create a high megapixel image, you can also do it with your normal DSLR through stitching. Its a fact not known to many. I stitched a church image from 19 images last week, original result was 31 MB file with 146 Megapixel !! I had posted it on image thread too (5% of the original) .

So, if you want to print a huge wall paper of your favorite landscape, click more images from left to right or bottom to top, technically 30% should overlap each other, use exposure lock, you will get the sharpest, widest and tallest image at your disposal. Have fun !
I saw your 19 stitch image . I tried stitching 2 images earlier, but I was not aware about 30% overlaping and exposure lock, these are good tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
make a building small the size of image
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 14:22   #5560
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 415 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
I said 'landscape' buddy
If you want to post a portrait on a 10 storied building, you might be shooting a film-star or celebrity probably, pay a PRO photographer for that. I heard there are also ways to increase the quality through Photoshop and similar programs. Not very sure how good the output will be. I am sure Gurus here could give some tips.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 14:29   #5561
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I said 'landscape' buddy
If you want to post a portrait on a 10 storied building, you might be shooting a film-star or celebrity probably, pay a PRO photographer for that. I heard there are also ways to increase the quality through Photoshop and similar programs. Not very sure how good the output will be. I am sure Gurus here could give some tips.
Well Leaf is exactly for these kind of uses without photo-shop or multiple-shots.

They manufacture only digital backs which can be attached to few high end cameras from hasselblad , mamiya , rollei , contax and few other brands which I have never heard of. No Canon , Nikon , Pentax , Olympus in the list. So in nutshell leaf digital back is expensive to the core pro stuff and not for ordinary mortals.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:53   #5562
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,391
Thanked: 4,075 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Rudra sir, it is the non-IS USM, I paid 437 EUR. Tthe IS version is for 747 EUR. Is there any other difference apart from the IS ? If so please let me know what are the differences, I can return upto 1 month, can go for the IS version.
Just don't bother about any exchange or upgrading. I've seen this new 2.8 IS and in fact checked it out too. Frankly, I didn't find a reason to upgrade. Contrast looked little more but which also could be my imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I think Rudraji recently picked up a 5D Mark II with his Diwali bonus ,
Yes, I did pick up a 5D Mark II body and you're right here.
I didn't get any bonus and I don't get any bonus as I'm a consultant. You are wrong here.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 19:35   #5563
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,110
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
What you put up on the wall is a low resolution banner, which is different from a gallery display of say 5 feet or more. You can relate the banner to a TV display. The huge projection screen still has the resolution of normal TV, so a banner may have the same number of pixels as a normal photo.

Regarding Leaf 80MP it is a digital back meant for medium and large format cameras. As far as I know the back would be in the region of 45K USD and the camera another 2-5K. Each lense in the region of 2-8k.

There are situations where stitching is not feasible, say in portrait, fashion, action even in landscape where light is changing or clouds are moving. That is where higher MP backs come on their own.

If you want even more MP Seitz Phototechnik AG - Seitz 6x17, a 160MP camera.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 10:29   #5564
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,372
Thanked: 3,788 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
if budget permits I will go for Canon 5d Mark2 for its full frame capability. Also I am not happy with Canon 55-250 IS, it needs too much of light, planning to put it on ebay.
Try the 70-200/4 IS for a VFM tele. O a FF (your future 5D2)so you will need a 2x teleconverter to push to real tele (300mm+ mode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
No FF, right now I am using 400D :(
but you are looking at FF na? Is three any reason you prefer the 5D2 over APS-C like the 7D/550D/60D? I have found that unless I am looking a huge crops or big blow ups the differences are minor.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 12:19   #5565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Try the 70-200/4 IS for a VFM tele. O a FF (your future 5D2)so you will need a 2x teleconverter to push to real tele (300mm+ mode).


but you are looking at FF na? Is three any reason you prefer the 5D2 over APS-C like the 7D/550D/60D? I have found that unless I am looking a huge crops or big blow ups the differences are minor.
Thanks for suggestion, the reason for upgrading is, 400D I bought for trial purpose, that was my first DSLR and when I bought I was not sure if it is going to be my hobby. So upgrading is just to fullfill my new hobby . I got my hands completely on manual mode, all my photos are shot in manual mode.

Here is my first macro from my new lens, Rice
Name:  rice.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  115.3 KB

100% crop
The DSLR Thread-rice_macro.jpg
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks