Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th November 2010, 17:46   #5596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
All Canon lenses come with international warranty. Its only the body that has limited warranty. Also, bodies bought from some countries like Singapore come with India warranty.
Yes am aware that lenses come with International Warranty but bodies don't. Especially ones from the US. Please read the context.

And since body has much more electronics than lenses, I would rather shell a little more than buy peace of mind. In anyways in this case the difference seems to be about 12-13k, makes sense to get from US.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 17:54   #5597
Senior - BHPian

Which lens for my D3100. Dental photography??
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 18:07   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Tell me something, are kit lens are so bad that you suggest to stay away from it? Becuase, I always thought it is not a bad idea to start the DSLR innings with kit for a beginner as it is cheap, gives fair idea and experience and allows purchasing good body combination within the possible budget.
Nothing bad actually but if someone has money to spare there will always be something which is faster , better built , faster autofocus and more expensive on the shelf.

Todays Canon 18-55 IS Kit lens is much better then what people used to buy as kit replacement earlier when kit was 18-55 (non IS)

read this discussion
EF-S 18-55 IS vs EF-S 17-85 IS - Photo.net Canon EOS Forum

I would say asses your usage and then buy rather then just going by somebody's advice.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 18:53   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
.....are kit lens are so bad that you suggest to stay away from it? Becuase, I always thought it is not a bad idea to start the DSLR innings with kit for a beginner as it is cheap
Yes, the answer is within your post itself. Its just a good start for someone new to photography and it ends there. A genuine hobbyist will dump the kit lens within 6 months and go for fast lenses like f/2.8 or f/1.8 or even f/1.4. I dont think I need to explain about the difference. BUT, if the requirement is just shooting family gatherings, occasional outings and stuff, kit lens is more than a kit lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Which lens for my D3100. Dental photography??
Franky, you should get a 1:1 macro lens. If you could mention your budget, its easy to suggest. Nikon has 60mm and 105mm, Tamron has 90mm and 180mm, Sigma has 50mm, 70mm, 105mm and 150mm. As your subject will not fly away when you approach with the lens, its economical to get a 50/60/90 range . Another important part is the lighting, so you will have to buy a ring-light which is used for macro photography ! And lastly, a tripod for your shaking hands , hope the tips help !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 18:57   #5600
Senior - BHPian

I dont have a fixed budget, but yes, long term planning is not what I can afford right now. I need the CHEAPEST and the best that I can accommodate. A ring flash for sure, but what lens? I have a Vivitar tripod which is quite good. It's almost new!
Old 18th November 2010, 19:09   #5601
Senior - BHPian

Check Tamron 90mm which should be around 19k, its good value for money. Dont bother about Nikon, its terribly expensive. I really do not know anything good that can be below 20k.

Last edited by shajufx : 18th November 2010 at 19:11.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:18   #5602
Senior - BHPian

:-(

How about filters/lens magnifiers like these?

Amazon.com: Zykkor 58 mm +10 Close Up Macro Lens in Pouch: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more
Old 18th November 2010, 19:38   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have a fixed budget, but yes, long term planning is not what I can afford right now. I need the CHEAPEST and the best that I can accommodate. A ring flash for sure, but what lens? I have a Vivitar tripod which is quite good. It's almost new!
Since you are dentist I believe you should already have good lighting arrangement for inside the mouth so In your case ring flash is not absolute necessity in the beginning,

What you need to find is what is the working distance from the subject where you can place the camera on tripod and then buy lens accordingly.

IF you are not sure on what to buy borrow a Sigma 70-300 from some one and use the Macro mode it will give you 1:2 psudo macro and will give a fair idea on what you actually need.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th November 2010 at 19:40.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:20   #5604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Franky, I suggested Tamron 90mm, because I have seen a friend of mine using it for the same purpose. I also owned the same for 6 months, its a very sharp lens. Sold mine because I wanted a 150mm for shooting bugs and tiny flies with better working distance. Even a 50mm should be fine for you but I am not sure about the prices. Best thing is to cross check with your senior friends in the profession, they will give an accurate practical suggestion as yours is an exclusive usage.

I assumed ring light requirement, because you might be shooting mostly in f/8 or f/12. So specific camera flash comes handy and ring lights are not expensive.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:50   #5605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What's the point of buying something for 500/- and paying almost equal the amount for shipping?
Amazon is saying "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address" (at least that's what I'm seeing on my Amazon page).

Why not find something from your local proper camera shop? I'm sure you'll get a good one here and not at that high cost.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:57   #5606
Senior - BHPian

eBay India: 52MM MACRO CLOSE UP LENS FILTER KIT SET FOR NIKON D3100 (item 220698303300 end time 24-Nov-2010 18:51:10 IST)

Is THIS good enough?
Old 18th November 2010, 21:05   #5607
Senior - BHPian

So you have decided on filters ?
Why dont you check with J J Mehta store before going the online way ? You can even try it on your camera before putting money on the table. Kenko brand is good as commented by others.
Old 18th November 2010, 21:52   #5608
BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately almost every macro lens is sharp and you can get some real cheap options if you can get used. Manual macro and micro lenses including Nikkors can be got for real cheap. Don't be concerned about manual focus coz macros are best shot with manual focus. Even the super cheap Vivitar 100 f3.5 will do a good job but I am not sure if you can get these in India. But I don't think sourcing it from out of India is such a great problem nowadays. A close up lens like a canon 500D is also pretty good if you can source it. Even an extension tube set will be a good option. A lot people also take close up shots by reversing a lens. These will by far be your cheapest options. But I guess if you really are going to be doing this fairly regularly then it will be worth while to go in for a proper macro lens. As suggested previously a Tamron 90, Tokina 100 or a Sigma 105 macro will be good options if you don't want to go for expensive nikkors.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:17   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Nothing bad actually but if someone has money to spare there will always be something which is faster , better built , faster autofocus and more expensive on the shelf.

Todays Canon 18-55 IS Kit lens is much better then what people used to buy as kit replacement earlier when kit was 18-55 (non IS)

read this discussion
EF-S 18-55 IS vs EF-S 17-85 IS - Photo.net Canon EOS Forum

I would say asses your usage and then buy rather then just going by somebody's advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
There is nothing bad about the kit lens. If you are new to photography, it would take years to even use the full potential of the kit lens. Just do a flikr search for the lenses you are interested and see the results for yourself.
Btw, I too use the 18-55IS + 55-250IS combo and I am very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes, the answer is within your post itself. Its just a good start for someone new to photography and it ends there. A genuine hobbyist will dump the kit lens within 6 months and go for fast lenses like f/2.8 or f/1.8 or even f/1.4. I dont think I need to explain about the difference. BUT, if the requirement is just shooting family gatherings, occasional outings and stuff, kit lens is more than a kit lens.
Thanks guys. It helped. I totally understand what the message is now, more clearly.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 23:02   #5610
Team-BHP Support

Frank a close up filter is a very poor substitute for a true macro lens. Read this link and see the photos there and you'll get a better picture.
A Comparison of Close-up Filters and Macro Lenses - Tim Trott Photography

Since you have adequate light I would recommend the Nikon AF-S DX Micro 85mm/3.5G VR or the Tamron 90mm/2.8 Di. Both cost less than $500.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote