Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 16:27   #5746
BHPian
 
Ho0ligaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
So whatever image was being projected on your screen using 50mm lens on FF on APS-C is similar to what an 80mm lens will project on FF.
My question exactly, 10mm on APS-C is similar to 16mm on FF. What gives?


@Shajufx - Do you have some sample shots from your 2 day experiment? I would like to see . BTW the fx in your name stands for the "fx"?

Last edited by Ho0ligaN : 8th December 2010 at 16:34.
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 16:56   #5747
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
My question exactly, 10mm on APS-C is similar to 16mm on FF. What gives?
I tried explaining using very basic optics and still you ask What gives ?

Yes it is the same 10mm on EF-S == 16mm lens on EF but point is 10mm lens is more difficult to make and costlier then 16mm because with smaller focal lengths barrel distortion increases.
Now think if you have 10-20 on FF you actually get 10mm but for APS-C you need 6-7mm lens which is not sold in market.

BTW If you need still wider canvas you need to go to a medium format camera like Mamiya 645 or Pentax amd today I saw some one is selling a Mamiya 645J on BPC and JJmehta forum for 12K you can get a digital back for the same :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I heard Nikon is 1.5 and Canon is 1.6 ! Thanks for confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Its actually other way around. Nikon's Crop factor 1.5, Canon crop factor 1.6.
hey don't nit pick it was long post and today I don't have much work and I am on T-BHP whole day typing.
He wanted to understand why and how part of it and I explained

it is not important what is 1.5 or 1.6 camera manual and websites tell that but IMHO why part is explained beautifully , He still asks What gives is another matter , It's good that I did not take up teaching as a carrier.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th December 2010 at 17:12.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 17:10   #5748
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
@Shajufx - Do you have some sample shots from your 2 day experiment? I would like to see . BTW the fx in your name stands for the "fx"?
Hi buddy, you know how the training sessions are done, we shoot to glory with half a dozen bodies and lenses given to us by the trainer. So nothing belong to us. But you will find many similar tests through Google.

Thanks for bringing that idea about 'fx' in my name. Its my profession FOREX since 10 years, but now I realize I can continue the name if I switch to Photography with a full frame body

Just to initiate your search, here is a link which I found
- NIKON Fx vs DX: HOW WIDE IS WIDE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
.....I don't have much work and I am on T-BHP whole day typing.......It's good that I did not take up teaching as a carrier.
First part is clear without explaining
Second part, I think its not late to try, LOL

Last edited by shajufx : 8th December 2010 at 17:11.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 17:29   #5749
BHPian
 
Ho0ligaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I tried explaining using very basic optics and still you ask What gives ?

Yes it is the same 10mm on EF-S == 16mm lens on EF but point is 10mm lens is more difficult to make and costlier then 16mm because with smaller focal lengths barrel distortion increases.
Now think if you have 10-20 on FF you actually get 10mm but for APS-C you need 6-7mm lens which is not sold in market.

BTW If you need still wider canvas you need to go to a medium format camera like Mamiya 645 or Pentax amd today I saw some one is selling a Mamiya 645J on BPC and JJmehta forum for 12K you can get a digital back for the same :-)
Hey thanks for trying to explain, I know that 50mm on FF is 80mm on APS-C, and 10mm on APS-C is 16mm on FF. I wanted to know why I can't take similar looking pictures if both can be compared. I am not looking to go eye ripping wide, I just want to know if I can attain 16mm kind FF pictures with a 10mm focal length on a crop sensor body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for bringing that idea about 'fx' in my name. Its my profession FOREX since 10 years, but now I realize I can continue the name if I switch to Photography with a full frame body

Just to initiate your search, here is a link which I found
- NIKON Fx vs DX: HOW WIDE IS WIDE?
yes will go home tonight and look around for some sample images and decide for myself
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:06   #5750
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I am not a guru but i can answer your question.

This is how you calculate the effective focal length

50mm on a APS-C sensor is 80mm (1.6 x 50mm = 80mm)
Hi, it is not the effective focal length, instead it is the effective field of view(fov).
Quote:
50mm on a full frame is 50mm itself.
50mm lens is always a 50mm lens, no matter on which camera it is used. Its only the fov which changes.

Quote:
The same lens would appear to be wider on the 5D MkII.
This is true if you are moving from a cropped body to a full frame body!!

FOV and focal length confusion is a common thing. Even I was confused till I read some info in a link mentioned here in this thread earlier(I think it was from luminous landscape website!!) and also some time with a full frame camera (5D) and a crop body(50D) side by side with the same lens (EF 50mm f1.8).


EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
..., I just want to know if I can attain 16mm kind FF pictures with a 10mm focal length on a crop sensor body....
The answer is both YES and NO.

As I said at the starting of this post, the answer is YES, since you get same fov.

The answer is NO because, the pic taken with a cropped body is like taking a pic with full frame body and cropping the image. Obviously there will be a drop in the image. Also the hardware and software capabilities are higher in the full frame bodies and hence you may not get the same quality in a cropped body by using a wider lens to off-set the crop factor!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 8th December 2010 at 18:14.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:24   #5751
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
Hey thanks for trying to explain, I know that 50mm on FF is 80mm on APS-C, and 10mm on APS-C is 16mm on FF. I wanted to know why I can't take similar looking pictures if both can be compared. I am not looking to go eye ripping wide, I just want to know if I can attain 16mm kind FF pictures with a 10mm focal length on a crop sensor body.
Yes you can provided DOF is not important in the picture, So if you are focussed at infinity and shooting with narrow aperture then pictures taken by APS-C at 10mm should look same as FF at 16mm

The below link explains crop factor and image circle with diagram .

Crop Sensor (APS-C) Cameras and Lens Confusion

APS-C will have greater DOF but does not make difference for landscape however for images focused nearer with wider aperture the picture should look different.

Depth of Field, Digital Photography and Crop Sensor Cameras - Bob Atkins Photography
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:25   #5752
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
.....check out one set of images which I took using Takumar below.
This is not necessarily best of this lens due to my limited expertise in manual focusing and on moving objects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Today I went to nearby Agara Lake with my 4 year old for father son activity and to test the Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens with adaptor on my Canon 500D. Needless to say I am pleased with results.
You have a wonderful lens in your hand. Happy clicking!!
Quote:
I need to learn a lot in Manual Focusing.
.....
You may try split screen, if you are OK with that idea!!!
Another thing, I am not sure about its availability for canon bodies + takumar lenses but I think there is something called AF confirm chip. Try in that angle too!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:30   #5753
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
You have a wonderful lens in your hand. Happy clicking!!

You may try split screen, if you are OK with that idea!!!
Another thing, I am not sure about its availability for canon bodies + takumar lenses but I think there is something called AF confirm chip. Try in that angle too!!
Yeah I have adapter with AF Confirm chip now took some 65 days to receive the package by post.

About changing the focusing screen to split screen it is high on my agenda but hesitating because of shipping time and will loose the illuminated 9 individual focal points of my 500D also 500D has spot metering which will not work. individual focal point selection will still work but in absence of visibility of selected focal point .
So will evaluate for few days how the AF confirm chip works and decide on split screen based on that.

Based on this I suggested cheaper Canon 1000D few posts back for such a setup you don't loose anything because it ain't there to begin with

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th December 2010 at 18:32.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:02   #5754
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 507
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, need some explanation/ advice here.

I'm trying to imitate the Bokeh produced by canon 50mm 1/8 (referring pictures from internet) on my kit (18-55) lens and it is more or less impossible to get it.

Please refer the reference pictures below taken by 50mm 1/8 (pics taken from internet again)

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  79.8 KB

The DSLR Thread-2.jpg

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  101.7 KB

the distance between the object and the background is very less, even then the 50mm lens produced noticeable bokeh. tried with my 18-55, impossible to get the same effect.

Does it mean it is possible only with a prime ? I have 55-250 IS which gives decent bokeh on a long end. But i am looking for some bokeh on a close end.

Im not good with techincal jargon's, hope someone understood what i am trying to say
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:41   #5755
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
....
I'm trying to imitate the Bokeh produced by canon 50mm 1/8 (referring pictures from internet) on my kit (18-55) lens and it is more or less impossible to get it....
Try this one:
Shoot at the tele-end(at 50 or 55mm) and choose / place the subject such that the distance between the subject and background is greater, you shall get a decent bokeh with 18-55 as well!!!

EDIT:
Include these too:
Maximum aperture (smallest f-number)
Minimum distance to your subject.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 8th December 2010 at 19:44.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:49   #5756
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 507
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Try this one:
Shoot at the tele-end(at 50 or 55mm) and choose / place the subject such that the distance between the subject and background is greater, you shall get a decent bokeh with 18-55 as well!!!

EDIT:
Include these too:
Maximum aperture (smallest f-number)
Minimum distance to your subject.
Yes, have tried this, im concerned about the bokeh on very less distance between background and the object just like the pic shown above. Does buying a canon 50mm 1/8 suffice my requirement ?
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 20:40   #5757
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Yes, have tried this, im concerned about the bokeh on very less distance between background and the object just like the pic shown above. Does buying a canon 50mm 1/8 suffice my requirement ?
A 50mm f1.8 is a safe bet!!!

And if you are adventurous, you may even try Manual Focus lens like Pentax SMC Takumar 50 f1.4 with a suitable adapter(M42) and chips(Focus confirm chips)!!! This adapter and chip combination can open door lot of other options(M42 lenses) like a 135mm f2 or jupiter-9 85mm f2(this one is highly regarded)!!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 22:44   #5758
BHPian
 
arunsasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Its impossible to get f1.8 bokeh on the kit lens which is f3.5 wide open. You should get the 50mm lens which is the best vfm lens you can find
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 01:18   #5759
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,528
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

amitk26
shajufx
thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
anything more than 3 lines will be confusing for a newbie in DSLR world unless he is ready to get confused !


BTW what do you think about used DSLR's.

for reference
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...her-Lens.html/
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 05:49   #5760
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 507
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks for the response guys .
so it is 1/8 which is doing the job.

So is 50 mm 1/8 is the answer for my requirement ?
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks