Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 00:03   #6691
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,148
Thanked: 13,728 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Although the author has used a very harsh language, he does have a point. There is too much emphasis on tricks in every example he picked, and none on composition. You should treat each technique like a tool in your toolbox. You should use the technique like a tool. If you have a size 7 bolt, you will be picking up size 7 spanner. If you want to hit a nail, you pickup the hammer. If you want to hit a peg, you pick up a sledge hammer. In other words, pick a tool based on the need.

But trick based photography is more like, pick the tool and try to do something with it. That is what he is ranting against.

Hobby photography should be like you decide what you want to shoot, then pick up the right equipment and technique to achieve it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 03:17   #6692
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 2,154 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Okay guys, Its camera buying time. Tomorrow morning Cannon 550 D it is. I am getting the 18-55 lens free with camera, before I was going to buy the body only from UK and get the 18-200 Cannon IS from india when I get back in May, but since i am getting the 18-55 free, I might as get that and click pictures in the 2 more months I am here

Shall post test shots tomorrow
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 16:34   #6693
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Just entered the DSLR world with a new T2i/550D($899 from Newegg.com) with an 18-200mm kit lens. I decided to sell off the 18-200(approx $270) as I was very new to the whole digital photography process and settled down for the basic 18-55($100) instead. Purchased a new 1.8 50mm prime ($120) as a spare. Bought 2 8GB SDHC Class 10 ($12/each) cards to store pics and Full HD video. Can anyone suggest some good ebooks or websites specifically for the T2i? I am strictly a learner and I need to start from the very basics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:27   #6694
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 557
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just entered the DSLR world with a new T2i/550D($899 from Newegg.com) with an 18-200mm kit lens. I decided to sell off the 18-200(approx $270) as I was very new to the whole digital photography process and settled down for the basic 18-55($100) instead. Purchased a new 1.8 50mm prime ($120) as a spare. Bought 2 8GB SDHC Class 10 ($12/each) cards to store pics and Full HD video. Can anyone suggest some good ebooks or websites specifically for the T2i? I am strictly a learner and I need to start from the very basics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
T2i is a nice buy. Do join the Canon Digital Photography Forums. A wealth information there.
Here is a good thread for beginners Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 18:53   #6695
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks guys, I am super excited thinking about the potential of 50mm f/1.4 in the night/street/low light situations ! Although not a professional to comment officially my thoughts in 24 hours of owning one:, 50mm f/1.4 is razor sharp. Its bit soft at 1.4 but kills all my previously owned lenses in the f/2 to f/4 range. Bokeh is out of the world and this shallow DOF makes it tough to get the focus in low light.

Test shots taken few minutes before getting dark. At f/1.4 got 1/60 speed with ISO 100 which might be possible at ISO-400 on a f/2.8 lens. Notice the grills almost disappear within a foot difference of the subject position.
Name:  41.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  348.4 KB

Name:  40.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  311.4 KB
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 22:36   #6696
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 713 Times
Question Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
At f/1.4 got 1/60 speed with ISO 100 which might be possible at ISO-400 on a f/2.8 lens. Notice the grills almost disappear within a foot difference of the subject position.
Fantastic shots! And, your daughter is cute! How old is she? I think, kid's are most difficult to photograph, but you have done that very well in both these photos.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 22:44   #6697
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks guys, I am super excited thinking about the potential of 50mm f/1.4 in the night/street/low light situations ! Although not a professional to comment officially my thoughts in 24 hours of owning one:, 50mm f/1.4 is razor sharp. Its bit soft at 1.4 but kills all my previously owned lenses in the f/2 to f/4 range. Bokeh is out of the world and this shallow DOF makes it tough to get the focus in low light.

Test shots taken few minutes before getting dark. At f/1.4 got 1/60 speed with ISO 100 which might be possible at ISO-400 on a f/2.8 lens. Notice the grills almost disappear within a foot difference of the subject position.
Attachment 514570

Attachment 514571
Looks like you got yourself a better prime shaju!
One shot from my 50mm f/1.4 Minolta to compare. Taken at 1/40, ISO100, f/8.
Name:  DSC01874_800.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  167.5 KB
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 05:08   #6698
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Looks like we are having some healthy discussion about photography in general and am happy to see it as it's a good sign of evolution . On a funny note, here's something that might take some heat off ,

You are a photographer when | Facebook
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 08:49   #6699
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
.... On a funny note, here's something that might take some heat off ,

You are a photographer when | Facebook
hahaaaa, very true!! Some more listed here:
Flickr: Discussing You know you are obsessed with Photography, when... in Hyderabad Photography Club (HPC)

PS: I think I posted a portion of it some time back too in this thread!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 20:04   #6700
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread



On March 19, the Moon will be only 221,567 miles away from our planet. Point your eyes and camera lenses toward the night sky on 19th. If the sky is clear, you’re gonna get an exceptional celestial treat. The Giant Moon
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 21:50   #6701
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 918
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post


On March 19, the Moon will be only 221,567 miles away from our planet. Point your eyes and camera lenses toward the night sky on 19th. If the sky is clear, you’re gonna get an exceptional celestial treat. The Giant Moon
Thanks for this info. Not my camera, but my spotting scope surely will be pointing to the heavens on this day.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 22:02   #6702
BHPian
 
pratim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bagalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys,

I have finally decided to jump into the digital world of photography. I have a N75 with two inexpesive kit lens 28-80 mm and 70-300 mm. I have zeroed on Canon 550D and Nikon D90. I want to use the new camera at least for next 8 years or so. I can't call myself even an ametaur; I'm just a beginner, who likes photography. I like to shoot kids in the the family and around, various people and their moods, jestures and emotions. Please suggest which to pick among the two cameras along with the respective kit lens and one 50 mm prime lens.

PS: A bit of video shooting for couple minutes is also what I am looking for.

Thank you in advance.

-Pratim
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 22:08   #6703
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Go with the 550D. Has everything that you need and the lens combination it packs with the 18-55 and 55-250 is fantastic.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 00:42   #6704
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Guys,

I have finally decided to jump into the digital world of photography. I have a N75 with two inexpesive kit lens 28-80 mm and 70-300 mm. I have zeroed on Canon 550D and Nikon D90. I want to use the new camera at least for next 8 years or so. I can't call myself even an ametaur; I'm just a beginner, who likes photography. I like to shoot kids in the the family and around, various people and their moods, jestures and emotions. Please suggest which to pick among the two cameras along with the respective kit lens and one 50 mm prime lens.

PS: A bit of video shooting for couple minutes is also what I am looking for.

Thank you in advance.

-Pratim
I just recently bought the T2i/550D along with the basic 18-55 and another 50mm prime lens. The full HD recording feature on the 550D is mindblowing - nothing like you've seen before. Although, I love what I invested in, I cannot deny the fact that the D90 can take exceptional pictures and the quality is just a tad better than the T2i. Now, I am a beginner too, and had read tons of reviews before finalizing on the T2i, but from what I read I can derive, with the 'newer' T2i and the technology that it has, it will definitely have a longer usage life(even more than 8 yrs) than the much older D90, which I believe is already some 3-4 years old. Take your pick. And happy clicking!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 00:52   #6705
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 980
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@Gandhi,

Lovely. So you were brave enough to go for something that requires bravery. Tell us how you reached your decision.
I have written a small post on my website about the same. You can take a look at it here -

« RonakG.in | Why did I choose Pentax K-x over Canon 500D and Nikon D3100?
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks