Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 15:51   #6841
BHPian
 
yajaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys in Bangalore looking to pick a DSLR rush to the nearest Reliance Digital Outlet. They are selling some gear at flat 50% of their price. I just picked up a D90 with 18-105 kit lets for rs 28K . These are demo units but come with warranty. An EOS1000D was there for 11K.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 15:58   #6842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Guys in Bangalore looking to pick a DSLR rush to the nearest Reliance Digital Outlet. They are selling some gear at flat 50% of their price. I just picked up a D90 with 18-105 kit lets for rs 28K . These are demo units but come with warranty. An EOS1000D was there for 11K.
Congrats! It's a great deal. Any other DSLR was out there?

BTW Which Reliance Digital Outlet did you buy ?
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 16:33   #6843
BHPian
 
yajaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

@CRV2010 - Thanks, i picked it up from the Cunningham road branch. The two they had was the D90 and EOS1000D. I would suggest trying their other branches, maybe at Mantri Mall.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 17:55   #6844
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 601
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
New full frame version of Tokina 116, priced slightly higher but initial reviews are only pouring in slowly.

Tokina

I would be very interested in seeing the 116 on a full frame, to be used at the 16mm end as if a prime, anyone having the facility to test? Seen the Ken Rockwell article already, looking for other images than that.

I have the 116 but on the Minolta alpha mount, finding a Sony FF is difficult in India and as such I am stuck on a decision, this lens is that good to me.

Search the Canon forum on 'photography-on-the.net' or FredMiranda. Few days back I came across a thread discussing Tokina 116 on FF. Apparently it works perfectly fine towards 15-16mm. No/minmal vignetting.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:08   #6845
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 601
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
That is only on the website. Walk in store and the prices change. Then comes the fact, if you need serious advice or rare items, you cannot go past Vanbar.

If I remember correctly, Vanbar is the only store that was able to organise Lens-a-thon successfully. Lens-a-thon is a small 2-3day fair kinda thing but with literally every single lens manufacturer (image related) present with full offerings and one just needs to bring there body and go nuts. There were models and other stuff to shoot. Idea being, try the lens you may buy in future. I tried Nikon 200 f2 for the first time that day and to this day cannot shake it off.
Thanks for the info. Will check their outlet here.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:09   #6846
BHPian
 
Furebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 312
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hey guys finally after the research and all picked up a Canon EOS 550D SLR (18-55mm Lens Kit) it cost me 34k.

And i managed to get a 4gb card free.
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:22   #6847
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
OK I should have mentioned, wildlife and bird photography.
Whats needed by wildlife and bird photographers is superb AF (the more cross type sensors the better), reach(very important), fast FPS and good ISO performance. So Only D3s would make the cut among your mentioned cameras for the above mentioned applications unless someone is a landscape photographer. So the best wildlife and birding cameras IMHO are the D300s, 7D, 1D and not the 1Ds and only one FF camera i.e. the D3s simply due to the awesome AF and ISO performance.
Just FYI, the D3S shares the same 51 point CAM3500FX autofocus module with the D3, D3x, D700 and D300s. All these cameras have very fast autofocus, sufficient for wildlife or birding.

As for ISO performance D3s is on tops followed by the D700. The D3s licks the D700 (and D3x) on frame rates..9 FPS versus 5 on the D700, useful with wildlife or birding. The D700 goes to 8 FPS with the optional battery pack.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:34   #6848
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 916
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Just FYI, the D3S shares the same 51 point CAM3500FX autofocus module with the D3, D3x, D700 and D300s. All these cameras have very fast autofocus, sufficient for wildlife or birding.

As for ISO performance D3s is on tops followed by the D700. The D3s licks the D700 (and D3x) on frame rates..9 FPS versus 5 on the D700, useful with wildlife or birding. The D700 goes to 8 FPS with the optional battery pack.

Cheers!
Yes I agree with all this but if I am a pro shooting birds and wildlife I will take a D3 or a D3s along with a D300 and not a D700 or a D3X. If I shot with canon then a 1D2 or a 1D3 or a 1D4 or a 7D but surely not a 5D or a 1Ds body. We have to accept that FF is just not for everyone.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:56   #6849
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Yes I agree with all this but if I am a pro shooting birds and wildlife I will take a D3 or a D3s along with a D300 and not a D700 or a D3X. If I shot with canon then a 1D2 or a 1D3 or a 1D4 or a 7D but surely not a 5D or a 1Ds body. We have to accept that FF is just not for everyone.
Honestly the combination of camera bodies is pretty much an individual's choice.

A confession - I didnt jump into photography in the recent past. My first experience with a good quality film SLR was the Canon AE-1 (my Dad's) back in 1977 whilst in school.

In the 90s and into the early 2000s I used various pro and semi pro Nikon film SLRs, including the classic F5 and have retained my Nikon F100 till today should I ever choose to shoot film. I held out on going digital because I believed that my lenses (albeit now sold, and building a new more contemporary FX collection is work-in-progress) were made for the 35mm frame and not the DX sensor.

I survived with a very decent Sony 4MP PNS from 2001 and another Sony in 2007. Once FX was introduced in '08 my interest in DSLRs revived and I went in for the D700 last year. The D3 series were out of budget for me, after all it is better to spend on quality lenses. All the lenses work equally well with my DSLR and film SLR. No silly crop factors to take care of. A big advantage for someone with 'old' roots in photography.

Technical reasons aside, I think DX or FX doesnt really matter. Its the person behind the camera and his/her creativity that does. If you are a pro go with FX, if you are a advanced amateur or amateur you have a choice if FX or DX. I choose the former.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 20:14   #6850
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

How rightly said. Instead of equipment why does one not harp on creativity? You know when you take a picture? It is only after you have composed & visualised in your mind that you pick the equipment and press the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Its the person behind the camera and his/her creativity that does.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 20:20   #6851
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
....the best wildlife and birding cameras IMHO are the D300s, 7D, 1D and not the 1Ds and only one FF camera i.e. the D3s simply due to the awesome AF and ISO performance.
To be frank, there are more Canon shooters in the field of wildlife and birding. Not limited there, whenever I have gone for a group photo walk, Nikon guys were less than 10% all the time. I always console myself with the thought 'Nikon owners are busy guys' !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Guys in Bangalore looking to pick a DSLR rush to the nearest Reliance Digital Outlet. They are selling some gear at flat 50% of their price.
Did you see or hear from them if D700 or 5D MII are part of this deal ? I am ready to run once you reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
.....and I went in for the D700 last year. The D3 series were out of budget for me, after all it is better to spend on quality lenses...... Its the person behind the camera and his/her creativity that does.
Good, got someone to ask doubts when I move to the world of FX. What you said last is an underestimated truth in this field. If one can not make good pictures with a point and shoot, he may not be anything better with an FX body with PRO glasses on it.

Last edited by shajufx : 26th March 2011 at 20:21.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 20:44   #6852
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 152
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Search the Canon forum on 'photography-on-the.net' or FredMiranda. Few days back I came across a thread discussing Tokina 116 on FF. Apparently it works perfectly fine towards 15-16mm. No/minmal vignetting.
Thank you, I will have to check those forums. This is a nice lens and as such I am reluctant to let go to the point that I would not mind cropping out the bad vignettes if need be, already enough field of view
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 22:33   #6853
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 916
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Honestly the combination of camera bodies is pretty much an individual's choice.

Technical reasons aside, I think DX or FX doesnt really matter. Its the person behind the camera and his/her creativity that does. If you are a pro go with FX, if you are a advanced amateur or amateur you have a choice if FX or DX. I choose the former.
Very true totally agree with you here. My only argument here was that DX is not a step child of the pros especially those who shoot longer focal lengths regularly and who need better subject isolation where DX IMHO is better especially over longer focal lengths. I mainly shoot wildlife and birds and so reach is everything for me and many times I have rued over the fact that I don't have enough reach reach on field even with my telephoto and TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
To be frank, there are more Canon shooters in the field of wildlife and birding. Not limited there, whenever I have gone for a group photo walk, Nikon guys were less than 10% all the time. I always console myself with the thought 'Nikon owners are busy guys' !!
Yes thats true as canon has had their IS big guns a lot longer than Nikon who have released their VR big guns only a few years back. Also Nikon long lenses have been significantly more expensive than their Canon counterparts inspite of not having any stabalization in most markets such as the USofA. The D3 along with the new VR lenses have promised to change that and Nikon is now seen at a lot more sporting events and also with a lot more nature photographers than ever before.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 23:50   #6854
BHPian
 
yajaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

@Shaju - unfortunately not, only the D90 and EOS 1000D was there on offer. I was hoping they would have a 150-500 Sigma at 50% off but no such luck.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 00:44   #6855
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
.... whenever I have gone for a group photo walk, Nikon guys were less than 10% all the time. I always console myself with the thought 'Nikon owners are busy guys' !!
That's why i don't even go for photo-walks. I shoot Olympus!


Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Did you see or hear from them if D700 or 5D MII are part of this deal ? I am ready to run once you reply
On seeing the ad about upto 25K discount on D700, i called up Whizz only to realize that the discount is NOT on body price....but the accessories.

:(

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 27th March 2011 at 00:54.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks