Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 21:29   #8101
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
You could have explained that the invoice amount is already inclusive of the shipping and that is a popular ploy of the ebay sellers to attract customers.......
I told that atleast half a dozen times buddy, but he does not want to agree to the term of 'free shipping' by any chance. He even went to the extend of opening and showing me several files on his table stating the product cost and shipping cost typed bold and clear.

Total time taken 2.30 hours (for the info of others who might go through the same):
Official visiting hours permitted: 3pm to 5pm
I reached exactly at 3.00pm (first victim) and met the assistant outside the cabin.
He went in to check the officer in the cabin, said he is having lunch (3pm ?? )
Officer comes out at 3.15pm and goes to the toilet
Comes back at 3.25pm (must have cleared his stomach )
Someone older than me who came after me went rushing inside (10 mts)
I was asked to go in by the assistant at 3.35
Searching for my file first by the officer inside and then joined by the assistant and me myself (it was fun ! ) (5 mts)
Submitted my invoice print
"No free shipping, No free shipping, No free shipping, NO WAY" which included showing different files on the table ( 20 mts )

Almost 30 mts to reach this place and 60 mts to reach back home.

Now an open question:
You pay money, wait for 30 days, spend hours checking on it, calling or visiting post office few times, visiting customs, waiting for luck to be in your favor for an unknown day, ready to pay an unknown figure at the time of delivery... Is it really worth ?

Last edited by shajufx : 6th July 2011 at 21:32.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:37   #8102
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Now an open question:
You pay money, wait for 30 days, spend hours checking on it, calling or visiting post office few times, visiting customs, waiting for luck to be in your favor for an unknown day, ready to pay an unknown figure at the time of delivery... Is it really worth ?
Nope, that's why I prefer buying used flashes in India (I had two YN-460IIs that I sold to Santanu before I left for the US) and you get them for pretty cheap. Luckily, here it's not such a big problem, I hope to stock up on everything before I leave this country .
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:50   #8103
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,352
Thanked: 14,192 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Now an open question:
You pay money, wait for 30 days, spend hours checking on it, calling or visiting post office few times, visiting customs, waiting for luck to be in your favor for an unknown day, ready to pay an unknown figure at the time of delivery... Is it really worth ?
NO. For any expensive item, don't order without a clearing agent.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 22:01   #8104
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Now an open question:
You pay money, wait for 30 days, spend hours checking on it, calling or visiting post office few times, visiting customs, waiting for luck to be in your favor for an unknown day, ready to pay an unknown figure at the time of delivery... Is it really worth ?
Shaju, dont mind me saying this but I had a good laugh reading your post because it reminded me so much of my experience with the infrared port and the Mumbai Customs back in 2003.

Is it really worth it? If you had asked me 1st I'd have said 'No'...an answer you probably would not have liked to hear. I have never ordered any photographic or electronic item from Ebay yet and certainly not via the Postal service. DHL and UPS charge you much more but it is door step delivery with all docs in order. I dont have the time nor the inclination to visit Customs again. Therefore courier service it is.

Yes, I travelled abroad to Europe quite frequently (twice a month) but some items were only available in the US. My entire approach towards online purchases has been to factor in Customs @ 25% of the landed cost (CIF) and then check if I really want to pay THAT price. That would be the deciding factor..not some dim hope that it would escape Customs.
If it does then it is a pleasant surprise, if not..well it was expected.

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 22:18   #8105
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks for the comments HW, Samurai san and R2D2, its a lesson learnt the hard way. I am no more game for this postal service orders. The only relief in this particular order is, with all the cost put together, its still lower than a used TTL-flash available in the market here, unless they goof up the custom duty calculation before delivery.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 22:38   #8106
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
NO. For any expensive item, don't order without a clearing agent.
+1 to that. I completely agree. Whatever you do, pls don't let it above $20-30 or max. $50-70. Anything above $100 (seen from one of my friend's experience) are scrutinised and can be liable for duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
.....
Is it really worth it? If you had asked me 1st I'd have said 'No'...an answer you probably would not have liked to hear. I have never ordered any photographic or electronic item from Ebay yet and certainly not via the Postal service. DHL and UPS charge you much more but it is door step delivery with all docs in order. I dont have the time nor the inclination to visit Customs again. Therefore courier service it is.
....
Cheers!
I have ordered and got delivery of my Panny TZ-5 battery, my Chevy Beat's mini USB to USB and other stuff from abroad but never faced any problem with customs. In fact, Indian Postal Service has delivered it at my home without any fuss. And max. of these are free shipping.

Don't intend to cross anybody but these are my personal experience in Kolkata.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 22:52   #8107
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
+1 to that. I completely agree. Whatever you do, pls don't let it above $20-30 or max. $50-70. Anything above $100 (seen from one of my friend's experience) are scrutinised and can be liable for duty.


I have ordered and got delivery of my Panny TZ-5 battery, my Chevy Beat's mini USB to USB and other stuff from abroad but never faced any problem with customs. In fact, Indian Postal Service has delivered it at my home without any fuss. And max. of these are free shipping.

Don't intend to cross anybody but these are my personal experience in Kolkata.
You probably have kind Customs officers in Kolkata. That said, when I say electronic I mean something that is a sub-assembly (comp hard disk, CPU, RAM, cooling fan, fan controllers etc) or an assembled ready to use article.

Batteries for electronic items, cables etc are probably not going to attract attention unless they are expensive. For e.g. I ordered a case for my BB and IP4 which came through without any extra charges.

As I said before..always expect to pay Customs. If you do it is expected if you don't then it is good luck or a bonus.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 23:39   #8108
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
+1 to that. I completely agree. Whatever you do, pls don't let it above $20-30 or max. $50-70. Anything above $100 (seen from one of my friend's experience) are scrutinised and can be liable for duty.


I have ordered and got delivery of my Panny TZ-5 battery, my Chevy Beat's mini USB to USB and other stuff from abroad but never faced any problem with customs. In fact, Indian Postal Service has delivered it at my home without any fuss. And max. of these are free shipping.

Don't intend to cross anybody but these are my personal experience in Kolkata.
Generally for low priced items, there will not be any duty issues.
I had purchased few items and got it delivered within 3 weeks without any issue. Even I got one pack of aerosol product(VHT Niteshade), which is generally not allowed for air freight.

@ Joy: Me too own a Panny TZ5. How much did you paid for the spare battery?
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 17:23   #8109
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
....
@ Joy: Me too own a Panny TZ5. How much did you paid for the spare battery?
I paid around INR 500/- for two batteries. Both are still working for more than two years now.

Original battery was around 3.2K to 3.5K a piece at that time.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:31   #8110
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Seriously guys, don't mind me asking this but aren't these fake batteries a fire risk?

We've all read about cases where mobile phones heated up and melted or even caught fire because non genuine lithium battery packs were used.

Cheers!

PS - A Nikon D700 replacement battery (EL-EN3e) costs Rs 1805 @ smartshoppers. And some weird brand called "Yes" offers a D700 battery for Rs 945. With this pricing I dont see any reason to use a non genuine battery.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th July 2011 at 21:36.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:33   #8111
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,952
Thanked: 15,633 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Seriously guys, don't mind me asking this but aren't these fake batteries a fire risk?

We've all read about cases where mobile phones heated up and melted or even caught fire because non genuine lithium battery packs were used.

Cheers!
Actually, non genuine batteries have also caught fire. So it does not really matter, because the same factory makes both batteries(or similar factories). You pay the extra 50$ for the manufacturer label.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:42   #8112
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually, non genuine batteries have also caught fire. So it does not really matter, because the same factory makes both batteries(or similar factories). You pay the extra 50$ for the manufacturer label.
Even if they did I am sure that the Nikon batteries are more reliable than the no name or cheaper ones.

Granted I am probably paying more for the label but it also gives me peace of mind that an expensive camera has fewer chances of going up in smoke (literally). Just look at the cost of the D700 or a D3 series camera v/s the cost of a genuine battery, you will know what I mean.

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 22:23   #8113
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Even if they did I am sure that the Nikon batteries are more reliable than the no name or cheaper ones.
...
May I know how would you know that those Nikon batteries are not manufactured by the same manufacturer? Just because they are labelled "Nikon", they are the best whereas the same unknown thing from the same manufacturer is not a reliable at all.

Also, when you are spending a princely sum on D700 or D3 series, does this $50-$75 matters?

We are talking about a normal P&S camera and it really matters to me to pay an extra $50(don't know about others). Anyway, it is an decade old argument of branded vs non-branded products. No offence to anybody
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 23:04   #8114
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Also, when you are spending a princely sum on D700 or D3 series, does this $50-$75 matters?
I think that is what R2D2 is trying to convey and I'm with him on this one. If I am spending almost a lakh on a D700, I wouldn't mind spending that extra 2k to get the original battery. Yes, if it's not that expensive P&S, then it's a different story altogether.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 23:25   #8115
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
May I know how would you know that those Nikon batteries are not manufactured by the same manufacturer? Just because they are labelled "Nikon", they are the best whereas the same unknown thing from the same manufacturer is not a reliable at all.

Also, when you are spending a princely sum on D700 or D3 series, does this $50-$75 matters?

We are talking about a normal P&S camera and it really matters to me to pay an extra $50(don't know about others). Anyway, it is an decade old argument of branded vs non-branded products. No offence to anybody
Joy I am afraid you got me wrong or you haven't read my post properly. I can turn your argument on its head by asking you a simple question - how do you know that the 3rd party battery and the Nikon battery ARE made in the same factory or by the same Mfr?

It is not a matter of unbranded v/s branded or about PNS and DSLRs, but safety - of the user and the equipment, in that order. Added to that is the claimed superior performance and life which is another debate by itself.

Safety, performance and longevity are the reasons people are advised to use original spares in vehicles or battery packs in mobile phones.

There are many who choose not to use spares from OEMs because they are expensive and it is the same logic that applies when people use battery packs made by some Chinese manufacturer. I have a Sony PNS too and paid for an original battery pack. I do not compromise on safety, that's how I am. And with a Rs 900 difference between the original Nikon battery and a fake one (in the example from Smartshoppers I quoted earlier) I will choose the original every time.

But then to each his own.

Rgds,
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks