Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th July 2011, 11:09   #8116
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

There are a few OEM battery manufacturers who make the basic cells. All other manufacturers either lable them or put their own chip and packaging. It is the chip which defines how reliable the battery pack is. Unlike in old days when the battery was just a battery, modern rechargeable packs contain some electronics to maintain the charge/recharge history. Some advanced packs also regulate the charge and discharge rates. That is why in general the batteries supplied by the manufacturers last longer and are safer, as they are tuned to their product. Of course if a third party puts in the same chip, then you have a battery which is as good as the original one, but that is rare.

I have had perfectly good OEM battery for my Thinkpad go kaput after two years due to chip blowing, the cells were good, but the chip showed the battery dead. Changed the chip by an enterprising soul and it is back to normal.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 13:19   #8117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
.....Also, when you are spending a princely sum on D700 or D3 series, does this $50-$75 matters?......We are talking about a normal P&S camera and it really matters to me to pay an extra $50(don't know about others)......
Joy, does it mean you dont care about burning your hand with a P&S but care about your hand if D700 is in use ?

My hand and body are more important to me than the cost of any electronic device I use. I have had very very bad experience of even getting 'branded' batteries sold to me by fake brand labels. That included fake Panasonic and Sony rechargeable cells sold in its original packs, did not even last a month. The melted liquid came out from those cells on 2nd charging.

Its worth buying batteries from the brand, possibly from the authorized seller itself. Saving with the non-brand is a temporary relief which costs our peace of mind and risk to the gadget.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:54   #8118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My hand and body are more important to me than the cost of any electronic device I use. I have had very very bad experience of even getting 'branded' batteries sold to me by fake brand labels. That included fake Panasonic and Sony rechargeable cells
I've had bad experiences with these fake Panasonic cordless phone batteries. They dont pick up a charge as well as they should nor do they retain it. Talk time is low and the phone had to be kept continuously in the charging dock. They cost about 1/5th to 1/2 as much as the originals.

Safety is prime importance..I do not want to put my family's health at risk, or risk damaging my camera and lens for a few 100 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is why in general the batteries supplied by the manufacturers last longer and are safer, as they are tuned to their product.
Bingo! Roy you said it..that is precisely why I want an original battery and nothing else.

Lithium batteries in particular can be dangerous. Read about the chemistry and potential for bursting or starting a fire on the 'net.

What started this whole topic (of original v/s fake) was the issue of safety (fire hazard) followed by the risk of damaging the electronic product.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 17:47   #8119
Senior - BHPian

A 3 day old post on Ken Rockwell.com

Ken's post about Nikon Li Ion Batteries dated 8th July '11:

Ken Rockwell's Photography Updates

Quote:

"PRAISE Even though all of Nikon's Ni-MH batteries for the D1 series were defective by design, I just realized that every single one of my Nikon Li-Ion batteries for every one of my DSLRs is still working like new.
My 2004 Nikon D70 still works perfectly, and as I was shooting my D3 in the studio today, realized that even though I have over 55,000 shots on it with the same battery since I got it in November 2007, almost four years later, it still works like new. The battery health gauge still reads #2 out of four, so it's probably going to last me to 100,000 shots in another 4 years.
Good job Nikon!

This is another reason to skip 3rd-party knock-offs: most of the third-party batteries people have given me are already dead"

End Quote

I guess nothing more needs to be said.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th July 2011 at 17:48.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:44   #8120
Senior - BHPian

Default Leh, Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A 3 day old post on Ken Rockwell.com....
R2D2 dear, read him with a pinch of salt. He doesn't have a good reputation among international forums and photography communities. Certain Flickr groups have even added a rule to their list as "Strictly no mentioning of Ken Rockwell" !

Personally I read him as part of other 10 reviews, although he is heavily a Nikon-biased guy. There is not a single review by him without a mention of his all-time faithful D40 body !!! I even felt D40 is the only camera he bought with his own money

A request to our members:
Although its a long time I keep on postponing my Leh, Ladakh trip for photography, somehow I feel its never gonna be if it doesn't happen soon. Anybody here interested in making a trip regardless which state you are in right now ? Most of the guided groups are charging between 30k to 60k which I find a total waste of money. May be I can do it myself within 10k. But as I have never done similar climatic condition trip before, prefer to have couple of friends. Please PM if anyone is interested. Heard July-August is the right time to go. I dont dare to post it on my Facebook page because it might become a group travel with 500+ people ! That many people clicking together, Chinese army might get instigated on the other side
Old 10th July 2011, 10:08   #8121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Leh, Ladakh

Quote:
R2D2 dear, read him with a pinch of salt. He doesn't have a good reputation among international forums and photography communities. Certain Flickr groups have even added a rule to their list as "Strictly no mentioning of Ken Rockwell" !
Yes Shaju, I know the man is infamous for his childish comments etc in some circles.

But when it comes to the likes of you and me he's more experienced as a photographer and that much more knowledgeable. I've been reading his site since the early 2000s. He does give photography lessons & partners with other pros in his home state of CA for photo tours. I read various other sites like Thom Hogan, Moose Peterson, Nikonians, Nasim Mansurov to balance out some of the views Mr KR publishes.

As for the batteries, those were his personal opinions and experiences - you need to treat it that way i.e. take it or leave it. As for me, I am quite clear on what type of battery I will put in my cameras (Nikon Li Ion only), except in my good old F100 that takes Ni MH and alkaline AA cells (ah! the good old days) without having to spend ludicrous amounts on a battery grip.

Cheers!
Old 10th July 2011, 10:14   #8122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....As for the batteries, those were his personal opinions and experiences - you need to treat it that way i.e. take it or leave it......
Oh no, I did not mean anything about the batteries, I have already burnt my hands with fake batteries and its posted earlier. My reply was mainly about the 'man' behind the comment. If you liked my posts so far, please donate some dollars by clicking here, or here Now you know what I mean !!
Old 10th July 2011, 16:26   #8123
BHPian

Got my Canon EOS 1100D yesterday! Only just started meddling around with it, but I think it makes a positively charming shutter sound as compared to my sisters Nikon D90.

Got it from the reputed Cam Zone in Pallika Bazaar, CP, Delhi. Came with the spanking new IS2 lens and 6400 ISO! Paid Rs. 27,250 for the camera as well as a UV filter for the lens. (The UV filter was Rs. 550) so please do the math for the cost of the camera and 18-55 kit.

More later, but heres a pic for now!

Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  159.9 KB

Oh and I got a 4GB card, a years warranty (with another years warranty upon registration at the Canon website), and that bag you see in the picture.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 20:32   #8124
Senior - BHPian

Just got my Canon EOS 600 with a Tamron 18-270 Lens . As I am a complete novice, need to spend some time on the net and with the user manual to understand the thing.

Thanks Tanveer for your advice on the Tamron lens. Guys, please suggest a site that tells the basics of using a DSLR, one that is suitable for newbies.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 23:57   #8125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Got my Canon EOS 1100D yesterday!
Came with the spanking new IS2 lens and 6400 ISO! ...
and that bag you see in the picture.
Congrats!!! Didn't understand the highlighted part though.

Did you get the bag along with the cam itself? When I bought my 500D, I had to first register at the canon website and wait for a month to get the bag. Same was the case for my friend's 7D. Looks like canon has changed it for good
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 01:12   #8126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
page because it might become a group travel with 500+ people ! That many people clicking together, Chinese army might get instigated on the other side
500+ people will be the planned group. In reality, even if 5 go, its a miracle.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:15   #8127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats!!! Didn't understand the highlighted part though.

Did you get the bag along with the cam itself? When I bought my 500D, I had to first register at the canon website and wait for a month to get the bag. Same was the case for my friend's 7D. Looks like canon has changed it for good
Imagine Stabilizer 2. It's a feature in canon DSLR's. IS 2 is the 2nd version, probably upgraded and revamped a bit. ISO is the light sensitivity. From what I know, competitors like the Nikon D3100 have 3200 ISO, this one's got double. Take take pictures in extremely low light.

Yes, the bag came with the camera. I only need to register to get an additional year's warranty.
Old 11th July 2011, 08:55   #8128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Got my Canon EOS 1100D yesterday! Only just started meddling around with it, but I think it makes a positively charming shutter sound as compared to my sisters Nikon D90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Just got my Canon EOS 600 with a Tamron 18-270 Lens . As I am a complete novice, need to spend some time on the net and with the user manual to understand the thing.
Congratulations ByDesign & Rajneeesh. Welcome to the world of DSLRs.

Best place to learn how to use DSLRs - There are various sites on the 'net not the least of which is TBHP with friendly and very experienced and inexperienced photographers who will always help you with your queries.

A good way to start is by reading your camera's owners manual.

Regards,
Old 11th July 2011, 10:07   #8129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
500+ people will be the planned group. In reality, even if 5 go, its a miracle.
Tanveer, dont underestimate the number of DSLR guys around you Even for a '2 days 20 heads limited' within 150 kms around Bangalore walk we had a serious crowd of over 150 people from south, it was not a time pass enquiry but requesting the account number to transfer full cost per head, all this on a 5 days notice ! It was organised by Discovery Planet group.

There are 3 different groups organizing trips to Ladakh through FB itself and all of them are full (I think its a 30/40 people limit per group). According to me, they are overcharging and I hope to make it at 1/4th of their cost, I am ok to make it alone, but climatic differences is something I am not very sure of. So thought of checking if some similar minded crazy people are around
Old 11th July 2011, 14:53   #8130
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations ByDesign & Rajneeesh. Welcome to the world of DSLRs.

Best place to learn how to use DSLRs - There are various sites on the 'net not the least of which is TBHP with friendly and very experienced and inexperienced photographers who will always help you with your queries.

A good way to start is by reading your camera's owners manual.

Regards,
It's a world I love! I've already been experimenting with photographs throughout sunday. Will post up some pics later, I'm in office at the moment. I've also got my camera manual with me to my work place to read after lunch

The detailed owners manual is on a canon disk that came with the camera, the booklet now is just a basic features and settings manual. There's also a flash photography manual, and some other special photography manuals.

On Sunday, I messed around with the ISO settings. I learnt the hard way that using too high an ISO setting will get you grainy results! Also, for some outdoor shots, even on auto ISO and auto white balance, some bright parts of the photo are burnt out. Apparently I've to reduce my shutter speed for that manually.