Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 16:48   #8131
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Also, for some outdoor shots, even on auto ISO and auto white balance, some bright parts of the photo are burnt out. Apparently I've to reduce my shutter speed for that manually.
You will have to increase the shutter speed not decrease it to expose less !!!
Old 11th July 2011, 19:31   #8132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I know, competitors like the Nikon D3100 have 3200 ISO, this one's got double. Take take pictures in extremely low light.
try clicking at "extremely low" light at ISO 6400, you will get noise and nothing else. IMHO at low lights usable ISO is 1600 at the max for starting range D-SLRs (with good lens). yeah but if one has Canon 5D or Nikon D700 and F/1.4 lens then yes one can shoot at "extremely low" light

Any thoughts by experts?

@shaju,

one of my photographer friend/ enthusiastic regular trekker went to Leh year back with lot of expectation. Couple of week back after while talking he said "dude, yes we think its nice to go there. but believe me we just wanted to reach Leh and get a flight back. you will see same pattern of mountains for miles and miles , decreasing level of oxygen, you will get hell tired etc".

again, more expert thoughts on Leh Ladhak photo-walk please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign
Got my Canon EOS 1100D yesterday! Only just started meddling around with it, but I think it makes a positively charming shutter sound as compared to my sisters Nikon D90.
yes you are right. many a times my Canon Nikon friends keep justifying thier shutter sounds. According to them Canon makes femalish click sound ( i mean charming) where as Nikon sounds are manly

Last edited by recshenoy : 11th July 2011 at 19:35.
Old 11th July 2011, 21:41   #8133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a world I love! I've already been experimenting with photographs throughout sunday. Will post up some pics later, I'm in office at the moment. I've also got my camera manual with me to my work place to read after lunch
Beware! The world that you have fallen in love with is like a pit that loves to swallow money. Body upgrades, lenses, tripods, ball heads, gimbal heads, speedlights/flashes, photo editing software, bags, camera straps, filters, SD/CF cards..it goes on and on and on. Just keep a tight control on the urge to spend more money than time with your camera.

IMHO the best way to start off is to read the manual and some photography sites. The more you use the camera the more you learn.

There's a fabulous thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html where you will see some superb photos taken by TBHPians.

Happy clicking!

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 21:58   #8134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
.....if one has Canon 5D or Nikon D700 and F/1.4 lens then yes one can shoot at "extremely low" light ......
......one of my photographer friend/ enthusiastic regular trekker went to Leh .....we just wanted to reach Leh and get a flight back. you will see same pattern of mountains for miles and miles , decreasing level of oxygen, you will get hell tired etc"
......where as Nikon sounds are manly....
D700 and D3s are known for its best performance at high ISO 6400+. Its a golden combination with a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. I had posted test shots here few pages back.

About the Ladakh trip, its tiring and unpredictable as many of my friends witness, but majority go there with an adventurous mind and no guarantee that a trip could end up in satisfaction. Its a chance taking by all means ! I remember the telecast of interview with '3 Idiots' director, the whole crew had returned as the weather turned bad in few hours. Then the final shoots were done after few months of patient waiting ! Actors also went through breathless situations few times.

Nikon sounds manly ? Never heard of that so far. If you meant the cropped bodies, you should hear how a full frame sounds. Its powerful, authoritative and addictive
Old 12th July 2011, 19:35   #8135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You will have to increase the shutter speed not decrease it to expose less !!!
Yikes! I meant make it quicker so less light comes in. Pardon my English!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Beware! The world that you have fallen in love with is like a pit that loves to swallow money. Body upgrades, lenses, tripods, ball heads, gimbal heads, speedlights/flashes, photo editing software, bags, camera straps, filters, SD/CF cards..it goes on and on and on. Just keep a tight control on the urge to spend more money than time with your camera.

IMHO the best way to start off is to read the manual and some photography sites. The more you use the camera the more you learn.

There's a fabulous thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html where you will see some superb photos taken by TBHPians.

Happy clicking!

Regards,
I am reading, and there's no worry of spending more. I have absolutely no time from my job as it is. I have a host of loves I'd like to spend time on, but my job restricts it to about 1 love at a time on each weekend
Old 12th July 2011, 21:48   #8136
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, Its been sometime that I bought my T2i/550D with Kit lens. After a short while I also bought the Nifty Fifty. I have played around a bit & feel the lack of zoom specially as my other camera is a 20x Zoom SX20 IS.

Now I have two options

1) Go for Canon 55-250
2) Go for Tamaron 18-270

The first is cheaper alternative & the second one is costlier but much convenient option. Is there a big difference in IQ amongst these?

Also There are two models for the 18-270 currently in market, one is the Older Non PZD model & other is the newer PZD one which is reportedly lighter & quicker.

I would prefer less weight but I just dont know how less it is between the two when you put them on a camera.

The older & heavier model is available for around $150-$200 cheaper.

So you see I am super confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if there are other better options. Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 22:10   #8137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hi guys, Its been sometime that I bought my T2i/550D with Kit lens. After a short while I also bought the Nifty Fifty. I have played around a bit & feel the lack of zoom specially as my other camera is a 20x Zoom SX20 IS.

Now I have two options

1) Go for Canon 55-250
2) Go for Tamaron 18-270

Thanks
Now that you have a kit-lens already, it doesn't make sense to go for the latter as it will be a overlap. And thumb rule is, higher the zoom factor, number of elements in the lens tend to go up resulting in inferior picture quality. There are very few exceptions though.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:16   #8138
Senior - BHPian

Yes I am aware of this, But the practicality of an all time lens keeps making me think of the 18-270, also I can sell off my Kit Lens if I were to go for the 18-270.

Alternatively, keeping that logic in place, what are the alternatives to the 55-250, how good the 70-300 mm lenses when compared to the 55-250? How important is that 55-70 mm gap?
Old 13th July 2011, 00:27   #8139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am aware of this, But the practicality of an all time lens keeps making me think of the 18-270, also I can sell off my Kit Lens if I were to go for the 18-270.

Alternatively, keeping that logic in place, what are the alternatives to the 55-250, how good the 70-300 mm lenses when compared to the 55-250? How important is that 55-70 mm gap?
well it depends on kind of photography you are interested in IMO. if you want to pursue bird photography, or you want to stand little apart from crowd then 300mm lens is for you to start with so 55-70 range absence wont be felt . but if you want to cover everything from landscape to group photo to portrait to close ups then 18-270 is the lens for you.

i guess its better to use both the lens once, take some shots and decides which one you feel good.

PS: i have 18-55 and 55-200 (nikon) but i don't remember last time i used kit lens same is opinion from my friend who uses Canon 55-250 and has completely stopped using kit lens
Old 13th July 2011, 01:53   #8140
Senior - BHPian

Hmm interesting, you mean to say you guys dont use 18-55 range

Btw my Kit Lens is an IS lens

Quote:
but if you want to cover everything from landscape to group photo to portrait to close ups
Yes it would be great if I can do this, hmmm

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2011 at 01:54.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:59   #8141
BHPian

Hi,

Buy the 18-200mm IS lens from Canon. It costs around 29K ... It's one of the best walk around lens. I use it too. You will not go wrong with this choice.

-Harshavardhan
Old 13th July 2011, 08:23   #8142
Senior - BHPian

Why even a dslr if you are wanting one lens solution. These wide range lenses are just a compromise lenses. The 18_55 and 55_250 are the best combo for beginners. If you want one lens solution from 18mm to 200 mm. you have to get some good point and shoot that is smaller and suits your needs. Instead get a 50mm prime and enjoy new ways of shooting things.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:43   #8143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now I have two options

1) Go for Canon 55-250
2) Go for Tamaron 18-270

The first is cheaper alternative & the second one is costlier but much convenient option. Is there a big difference in IQ amongst these?

Also There are two models for the 18-270 currently in market, one is the Older Non PZD model & other is the newer PZD one which is reportedly lighter & quicker.

I would prefer less weight but I just dont know how less it is between the two when you put them on a camera.

The older & heavier model is available for around $150-$200 cheaper.

So you see I am super confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if there are other better options. Thanks
Technocrat, for whatever its worth, ever since I bought my Nikon 18-200 VR its hardly come off my camera. My rationale to buy it was as a travel lens to reduce weight but it became my standard lens. The lens is a key reason for me to hold upgrading to full frame.

I own a lot of other glass from primes to expensive zooms - this lens has superseded everything. All the criticisms of such a zoom are valid but if you know the weaknesses its a great tool to have. There is little to be gained from missing a shot because you were changing lenses or had the wrong lens.

I don't know how good the Tamron is but if the Canon version is better, spend the extra money on it - You wont regret it.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:49   #8144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Techno.

1. The Tamron 18-270 does not focus as fast as the Canon 18-200 so if you were getting a super zoom I'd recommend the 18-200.

2. The 70-300 (non -L) "should" have less distortion than the 55-250 since you are using only the center of the 70-300 on a APS-C body. But in what little real world use I ahve seent eh 55-250 is very good. It is also lighter but mind you the mount is not as rugged than the old 70-300 (non-L).

3. Again the 55-250 should offer better IQ than the 18-200 (over the 55-200 range) but in real world conditions I have not notice huge differences. The 55-250 is slightly sharper though.

I have the 18-270 (non-PZD). I use it only when I travel (along with a 50/1.4 and 10-22) but my 17-55/2.8 stays on my camera most times as 90% of what I shoot is indoors and every stop gained in essential.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:00   #8145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Hi,

Buy the 18-200mm IS lens from Canon. It costs around 29K ... It's one of the best walk around lens. I use it too. You will not go wrong with this choice.

-Harshavardhan
I checked it but its only slightly cheaper than the the Tammy & then too I have read the Tammy to be a better VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Why even a dslr if you are wanting one lens solution. These wide range lenses are just a compromise lenses. The 18_55 and 55_250 are the best combo for beginners. If you want one lens solution from 18mm to 200 mm. you have to get some good point and shoot that is smaller and suits your needs. Instead get a 50mm prime and enjoy new ways of shooting things.
Well I hate changing lenses & the places I frequent over weekends ((NYC))require such usage & having two lenses will make me keep the camera at home.

Also if you read my post, I already have SX20 IS which has 20x Optical zoom & I also already have the 50mm 1.8 prime lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Technocrat, for whatever its worth, ever since I bought my Nikon 18-200 VR its hardly come off my camera. My rationale to buy it was as a travel lens to reduce weight but it became my standard lens. The lens is a key reason for me to hold upgrading to full frame.

I own a lot of other glass from primes to expensive zooms - this lens has superseded everything. All the criticisms of such a zoom are valid but if you know the weaknesses its a great tool to have. There is little to be gained from missing a shot because you were changing lenses or had the wrong lens.

I don't know how good the Tamron is but if the Canon version is better, spend the extra money on it - You wont regret it.
Thanks, this is encouraging, the Tammy is actually more expensive but also more VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Techno.

1. The Tamron 18-270 does not focus as fast as the Canon 18-200 so if you were getting a super zoom I'd recommend the 18-200.

2. The 70-300 (non -L) "should" have less distortion than the 55-250 since you are using only the center of the 70-300 on a APS-C body. But in what little real world use I ahve seent eh 55-250 is very good. It is also lighter but mind you the mount is not as rugged than the old 70-300 (non-L).

3. Again the 55-250 should offer better IQ than the 18-200 (over the 55-200 range) but in real world conditions I have not notice huge differences. The 55-250 is slightly sharper though.

I have the 18-270 (non-PZD). I use it only when I travel (along with a 50/1.4 and 10-22) but my 17-55/2.8 stays on my camera most times as 90% of what I shoot is indoors and every stop gained in essential.
Thanks Navin, I think I will go for the big zoom lens, so which has better IQ in your experience between canon 18-200 & Tamaron 18-270?

Also like I said, my other confusion is to whether get the new PZD one which is lighter but more expensive or the old one which is available at discount.

Normally since both of them cover the same range I would go for the Non PZD one but then weight is important for me, I rejected a 60D due to its heavy weight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks