Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 21:04   #8191
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Do you share your photos on flickr or anywhere else on the web? Would love to follow.
Hi Dry Ice, I will start uploading to Picassa or Flickr soon and share the link with TBHPians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Nice glass R2D2! whats the cost in India? waiting for some pics from the monster and if possible do post actual photos of the lens mounted on your cam!
Thank you C300. Like I said before cost = expensive.


Here are 2 pics (sorry Shaju, I know you didn't want me to ) - one of my 70-200 F/2.8 AFS VR-II and Optimus Prime. Both lenses with hoods on and mounted on a tripod.


I will be uploading the very 1st samples in the other "non auto image thread" as posting 'em here would be off topic.

PS - photos taken with a Sony P&S.


Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-op2.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th July 2011 at 21:09.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 07:09   #8192
BHPian
 
Dr.Awesomeness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

hi everyone here. I'm in a fix, please help. I'm new to the forum and also a camera aficionado. I have a canon eos 550d, which i bought a couple of months back and was working like a dream. All of a sudden the camera started showing an error message. It read like this "Error 01: Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens and camera contacts". Does anyone else here have faced the same problem? Could someone shed some light on this issue?
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 10:41   #8193
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Here are 2 pics (sorry Shaju, I know you didn't want me to ) - one of my 70-200 F/2.8 AFS VR-II and Optimus Prime. Both lenses with hoods on and mounted on a tripod.
Congrats R2D2, thats a fine piece of equipment.

I see you're using the 055xpro legs and the ballhead seems to be the 488 series which may not really be enough for managing this setup. You may want to look at the 468mg atleast to keep things safe. Always remember that with such heavy pro equipment, you'll always need to think of the weakest links which may hamper the full potential of the glass. Alternately you can look at a sidekick kinda setup with any other heavy duty ballhead. More money down in the pit

Anyways, you'll love the setup even after knowing that its swooshed out your bank account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
hi everyone here. I'm in a fix, please help. I'm new to the forum and also a camera aficionado. I have a canon eos 550d, which i bought a couple of months back and was working like a dream. All of a sudden the camera started showing an error message. It read like this "Error 01: Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens and camera contacts". Does anyone else here have faced the same problem? Could someone shed some light on this issue?
A few questions,

- What lens are you using?
- Have you tried the camera with any other lens?
- Is the camera not functioning at all or the error is intermittent?
- Did you fix an old lens on it or the lens was kept out for a long time? Sometimes the lens contacts seems to get darkened/blackened which can be taken care of by rubbing it with a non-dust eraser. Do this carefully though!
- Lastly, was there any kind of shock or drop that may have caused this?
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:31   #8194
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Shaju, I've the 105 f/2.8D & a lot more cheaper than the G version. Why don't you go for this? I picked this glass in March for 26k.
Right now I am on a saving mode . I will also look for sale threads. Somebody is also suggesting Raynox 150 or 250, so far not seen them in real nor heard from anyone using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....Here are 2 pics ....
They both look best in the balcony
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 13:25   #8195
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Congrats R2D2, thats a fine piece of equipment.

I see you're using the 055xpro legs and the ballhead seems to be the 488 series which may not really be enough for managing this setup. You may want to look at the 468mg atleast to keep things safe. Always remember that with such heavy pro equipment, you'll always need to think of the weakest links which may hamper the full potential of the glass. Alternately you can look at a sidekick kinda setup with any other heavy duty ballhead. More money down in the pit

Anyways, you'll love the setup even after knowing that its swooshed out your bank account!
Thanks Amol. Indeed, the setup is lovable but I am still mindful of the dent in my wallet.

The set up is mounted on the 055CXPRO4 CF legs with the Manfrotto 468MGRC3 hydrostatic head. The legs have a capacity of 8 Kgs and the BH is 16 KGs. The telephoto + camera + ball head weigh ~5 Kgs which is within the limit. However, this is not a setup I would use outdoors with the 300mm prime. It's fine for the 70-200 zoom or smaller lenses.

Actually I do have heavy Gitzo legs (5541LS) and a Gitzo systematic ballhead that I was feeling too lazy to pull out. Plan to get a Wimberly head some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
They both look best in the balcony
Yeah! Nothing like seeing equipment with some greenery around it or in the background.

I'll be putting up my 1st test photos taken with OP today. Simple stuff, nothing fancy. I am getting used to the weight that is heavily front-loaded and puts a strain on your left arm after a while. They recommend adding a battery grip to balance the weight or using a tripod.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th July 2011 at 13:27.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 13:44   #8196
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....Plan to get a Wimberly head some day......I am getting used to the weight that is heavily front-loaded and puts a strain on your left arm after a while. They recommend adding a battery grip to balance the weight or using a tripod.....
So that adds 3 more immediate things to the list
1) Wimberly head
2) Annual membership to a prestigious gym
3) Battery grip

And by any chance you are not getting the correct link to the next thing to look at, here it is Nikon India Private Limited

I feel very happy when I can help someone in need
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:01   #8197
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So that adds 3 more immediate things to the list
1) Wimberly head
2) Annual membership to a prestigious gym
3) Battery grip

And by any chance you are not getting the correct link to the next thing to look at, here it is Nikon India Private Limited

I feel very happy when I can help someone in need
Ooh! Thanks Shaju! I was looking all over but could never find that link. Actually I was considering this - Nikon India Private Limited before selecting OP

<Jokes apart my wife will slaughter me if I think of any more lenses>.

Gym, battery grip - nopes, I aint interested. Wimberly head, umm maybe someday. I can manage with ball-heads till then
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:10   #8198
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
......Actually I was considering this - Nikon India Private Limited before selecting OP......
Hey that's the first time I am seeing a D lens costing more than the latest G !! Anything missing here ? Most of Nikon's G segment is much much higher than D, a major reason for me to settle with the 20mm and 50mm in the AF-D category.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:17   #8199
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hey that's the first time I am seeing a D lens costing more than the latest G !! Anything missing here ? Most of Nikon's G segment is much much higher than D, a major reason for me to settle with the 20mm and 50mm in the AF-D category.
I think they have switched the titles of each 400mm lens, a typo.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:42   #8200
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The set up is mounted on the 055CXPRO4 CF legs with the Manfrotto 468MGRC3 hydrostatic head. The legs have a capacity of 8 Kgs and the BH is 16 KGs. The telephoto + camera + ball head weigh ~5 Kgs which is within the limit. However, this is not a setup I would use outdoors with the 300mm prime. It's fine for the 70-200 zoom or smaller lenses.
Oops! My bad, it just looked similar to the 055xpro with a 488. You're right about this not being an ideal setup for outdoors, the wind can cause havoc at times.

The 5541LS is rock solid and should serve you well, but lugging it around is a big pain. I have the leg covers fitted on mine and they help in cushioning a bit when you move it around on your shoulders, but even then a 5 min continous walk starts getting tiring. May be I'm getting old too
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 17:54   #8201
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
The 5541LS is rock solid and should serve you well, but lugging it around is a big pain. I have the leg covers fitted on mine and they help in cushioning a bit when you move it around on your shoulders, but even then a 5 min continous walk starts getting tiring. May be I'm getting old too
Where did you get the leg covers from? Did you order them from abroad or are they available in India? As for lugging the 'pod around I hope you are aware that the systematic tripod's base plate just may come off with a heavy rig attached. Here's an article - The NatureScapes Safety Plate for Gitzo Tripods

The solution is to buy the safety plate or, if you want to save some cash, do as Gitzo recommends - detach your camera and lens from the tripod before walking any distance. I wouldnt dare to walk around with the tripod over my shoulder and the rig attached (as in the photo in that article).
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 21:31   #8202
BHPian
 
Dr.Awesomeness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Congrats R2D2, thats a fine piece of equipment.

I see you're using the 055xpro legs and the ballhead seems to be the 488 series which may not really be enough for managing this setup. You may want to look at the 468mg atleast to keep things safe. Always remember that with such heavy pro equipment, you'll always need to think of the weakest links which may hamper the full potential of the glass. Alternately you can look at a sidekick kinda setup with any other heavy duty ballhead. More money down in the pit

Anyways, you'll love the setup even after knowing that its swooshed out your bank account!


A few questions,

- What lens are you using?
- Have you tried the camera with any other lens?
- Is the camera not functioning at all or the error is intermittent?
- Did you fix an old lens on it or the lens was kept out for a long time? Sometimes the lens contacts seems to get darkened/blackened which can be taken care of by rubbing it with a non-dust eraser. Do this carefully though!
- Lastly, was there any kind of shock or drop that may have caused this?
-I am using a 18-55 lens which was supplied with vr kit.
-The camera works fine with another lens.
-The camera seems to be working fine. I tried cleaning the lens contacts with a lens cleaning kit and also tried to clean it as you had mentioned and still the error is persisting.
-No, the camera or the lens has never been dropped.
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 22:10   #8203
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Where did you get the leg covers from? Did you order them from abroad or are they available in India? As for lugging the 'pod around I hope you are aware that the systematic tripod's base plate just may come off with a heavy rig attached. Here's an article - The NatureScapes Safety Plate for Gitzo Tripods

The solution is to buy the safety plate or, if you want to save some cash, do as Gitzo recommends - detach your camera and lens from the tripod before walking any distance. I wouldnt dare to walk around with the tripod over my shoulder and the rig attached (as in the photo in that article).
You're right, I picked up the leg covers from the US. I dont think you get them here unless you order through int'l shipping from amazon or B&H.

On the safety plate, its not that bad a situation. You just need to periodically check if the screw has gotten loose as a precaution. Since there are no moving parts it wont loosen up so easily. The plate is an extra safety measure and it isnt really addressing a design flaw. The gitzo is a very nicely built product I feel. I was thinking of getting the plate but never gave it a serious thought.

I do carry my rig on my shoulders and move around in the field, your post has seeded dangerous thoughts in my mind again. Will see if I can have someone get it for me, but its not a show stopper for sure.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 23:16   #8204
BHPian
 
the VTEC guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 563
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hello friends, I have zeroed in on buying a Nikon D5100 with standard kit lens in next couple of days. couple of places that I inquired in Pune listed following prices.
Croma store - 38700 inr
V K Sales - 36500 inr (have offered him 35500 inr he has to get back to me on this)
Do you think 36500 is reasonable price? any one else who can suggest a different shop and/or better price. Have to make the purchase by this weekend.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 23:33   #8205
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 734
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

You can get it from letsbuy.com for Rs.34,500/-. In this price, you will also get SLIK F630 Tripod + Transcend 8GB Class-10 SD Card free in addition to the standard DSLR Bag + 4GB SD Card.

Buy Nikon DSLR D5100 (with AF S 18-55mm VR Kit) - The Best Selling Nikon DSLR with gifts worth over Rs.5,000 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

The price mentioned is Rs.35,700/-, enter coupon code "ICICILB" and you will get Rs.1,200/- discount. So the price will be Rs.34,500/-. (coupon code RCOMLB1 gives a discount of Rs.1,000/-)

You can buy it for Rs.34,999/- from buytheprice.com also.

You can buy it for Rs.38,752/- from flipkart.com and you will get a Free Apple iPod shuffle 4th Generation 2 GB (Silver) worth Rs.3200 in addition to standard 4 GB SD Card + DSLR Camera Bag .

Letsbuy.com offer is best. I have bought few products from all 3 websites and they deliver fast most of the time specially flipkart.com and letsbuy.com.

Hope it helps.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks