Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 23:23   #8716
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I and a P & S guy. I am planning to buy a entry level DSLR and am looking at the Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D. After going through a lot of user reviews and forums, I had decided to go for the D3100. Yesterday I went to a Camera shop and was shown both models. I was still with the D3100. The shopkeeper then said that he would suggest Canon for me.
Reasons were:
1. Nikon is simple to use so preferred by the lesser educated 'Professional Cameramen' but ad I seemed educated, I would be able to learn to use a Canon and use the better features.
2. World wide Nikon gives huge discounts and is a less premium brand whereas canon is never sold at a discount. This situation is reversed in India.
3. Nikon has a SLR service center only in Delhi while Canon can be serviced anywhere.

So now I'm confused again. I did not buy a camera and am going ahead only after your feedback.
Stay away from Nikon vs Canon wars.
Concentrate more on practicing the art of photography.
Camera is just a brush. The end results depend more on the hands using it.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 23:43   #8717
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
...
Nikon 3100(i am getting it with 2 lens) and the price is around 26000

...
I was quoted Rs.27000/- for Nikon 3100 with Kit Lens. Is this an offer by the company?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:56   #8718
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I was quoted Rs.27000/- for Nikon 3100 with Kit Lens. Is this an offer by the company?
No Currently i am in Prague and they have an offer running so they have offered it for 13000/- czk cronas, so if i pick it up i can claim the tax at prague airport and i would get a discount of 2600 czk and when i convert to indian rupees then its equivalent to 27000 rupees roughly.

so planning to pick that one. here 3100 is more costlier than 5100. and i have already used 5100 my brothers cam.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:18   #8719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

How is 5100 cheaper than 3100? isn't it a bigger sensor? 5100 is just a stripped down 7000.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:09   #8720
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How is 5100 cheaper than 3100? isn't it a bigger sensor? 5100 is just a stripped down 7000.
Yes i really don't know but the fact here in Prague(Czech) is that Nikon 5100 is more cheaper than 3100.

as an example i get 3100 for 12,000 CZK Crowns(2 lens) but no goodies.

i get 5100 for 10,000 /11,000 CZECH Crowns (2 lens) and extra goodies(like bag,memory card)

may be a clearance sale for the model. sicne i have picked up Sony Nx-5 in clearance sale which was sold at 7,000 CZK crowns (all goodies were included what we usually get in India) in May which i picked but didn't liked it so gave a gift to my sister.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:22   #8721
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,690
Thanked: 8,729 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Yes i really don't know but the fact here in Prague(Czech) is that Nikon 5100 is more cheaper than 3100.

as an example i get 3100 for 12,000 CZK Crowns(2 lens) but no goodies.

i get 5100 for 10,000 /11,000 CZECH Crowns (2 lens) and extra goodies(like bag,memory card)

may be a clearance sale for the model. sicne i have picked up Sony Nx-5 in clearance sale which was sold at 7,000 CZK crowns (all goodies were included what we usually get in India) in May which i picked but didn't liked it so gave a gift to my sister.
^^ D5100 is available for a price tag lesser than D3100, any reasons why you still want to buy D3100 when D5100 is a superior product with considerably better sensor?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:03   #8722
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
so planning to pick that one. here 3100 is more costlier than 5100. and i have already used 5100 my brothers cam.
Are you sure it is D5100 not D5000 [older] model? I don't see why one would put higher prices for lower variant.

D5100 = Stripped D7000
D5000 = Stripped D90.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:42   #8723
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ D5100 is available for a price tag lesser than D3100, any reasons why you still want to buy D3100 when D5100 is a superior product with considerably better sensor?
As i said earlier i have already used D5100 and i dont want to use the model which has been used

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Are you sure it is D5100 not D5000 [older] model? I don't see why one would put higher prices for lower variant.

D5100 = Stripped D7000
D5000 = Stripped D90.

Yes i am sure i get D5000 for less than 7 to 8000 CZK Crowns. where are D5100 there is some Clearance sale(in CZK the movement of D5100 is very less) so usually u get it for lower price if the movement of camera model is more then u get for lesser price.

also there are couple of Electra shops where we get D5100 more than the price of D3100 again it depends upon the Seller, i have almost spend visiting all the Electra shops and identified a final price with one seller.

P.S: the Price might surely differ between seller to Seller.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:57   #8724
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post

also there are couple of Electra shops where we get D5100 more than the price of D3100 again it depends upon the Seller, i have almost spend visiting all the Electra shops and identified a final price with one seller.
Is it possible that d5100 is factory refurbished or one which is returned by another user? For sure check the shutter count! Any case if you feel strong to buy 3100 paying extra, why not!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:32   #8725
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
A Friend of mine had picked it up for his Nikon D5000, he kept it for a few months and sold it. It all depends what you want to shoot with that lens.
I know the price is attractive, i too feel for the Nikkor 70-300G lens and the quality of the images were not great. If its not urgent try and save up and pick up a Nikkor 55-300mm (around 18K)
Disagree very strongly especially with the statement in bold! Though I do agree with the fact that the 70-300mm VRI and VRII are better in terms of results, a blanket statement on the G would be very misleading. It all depends on how you shoot within limitations. The optics are very nearly the same. Will post sample images when I can.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:51   #8726
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 88
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Disagree very strongly especially with the statement in bold! Though I do agree with the fact that the 70-300mm VRI and VRII are better in terms of results, a blanket statement on the G would be very misleading. It all depends on how you shoot within limitations. The optics are very nearly the same. Will post sample images when I can.
+1 to that. I have the G lens and I am sort of happy with it. It does the job, ofcourse there are some limitations and you have to work within that.

O- It would be great if you can please post some of your pics.
skartik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:22   #8727
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
....It all depends on how you shoot within limitations. The optics are very nearly the same. Will post sample images when I can.
I am not a fan of VR lenses too. Forget the 70-300, post more from your Tokina 100mm. There are millions of images from the G lens, but very less from that Tokina
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:28   #8728
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
O- It would be great if you can please post some of your pics.
There you go..
Flickr: Search -typeOnegative-'s photostream

My favorite from Type-O and this lens:
Unknown beetle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:45   #8729
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am not a fan of VR lenses too. Forget the 70-300, post more from your Tokina 100mm. There are millions of images from the G lens, but very less from that Tokina
Lately I have been shooting more with the Tokina. I think I am in need of a second body because I find that some of the more beautiful butterfiles do not like me very close.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Thanks buddy. I cannot access my flickr stream from office. I also have another limited portfolio at 500px.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 12:41   #8730
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
....I think I am in need of a second body because I find that some of the more beautiful butterfiles do not like me very close......
I did not get that point, did you mean you need more working distance and another macro lens ? I had Tamron 90mm for few months, sold it because of that limitation. If I buy another for real macro, that would be Sigma 150mm. Perfect for bugs and all such tiny moving things.

I just placed an order for a 43 inch circular reflector from Ebay HK, its Gold and Silver 2 in 1. Hope to receive it by month end.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks