Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 13:31   #8731
BHPian
 
vikash49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 141
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
... you need more working distance and another macro lens ? I had Tamron 90mm for few months, sold it because of that limitation. If I buy another for real macro, that would be Sigma 150mm. Perfect for bugs and all such tiny moving things.
+1 to that.

I've owned multiple lenses over the years and currently carry the following in my bag:

Canon - 10-22mm f/3.5 | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | 400mm f/5.6 L .
Sigma - 30mm f/1.4 EX | 150mm f/2.8 Macro EX
Tamron - 17-50mm f/2.8 VC.

However, its the Sigma 150 Macro that just blows me away with its excellent sharpness and wholesome contrast. Its a great macro lens that also works extremely well for portraits

Here are a few examples:

The Fearless Spider! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dragonfly - Close Up | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dragonfly - True Macro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ladybird.. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

First Rain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Untouched | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Candy Floss | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My First TAG | Photobucket!

Growing Old Together | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by vikash49 : 4th November 2011 at 13:54.
vikash49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 18:04   #8732
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I did not get that point, did you mean you need more working distance and another macro lens ? I had Tamron 90mm for few months, sold it because of that limitation. If I buy another for real macro, that would be Sigma 150mm. Perfect for bugs and all such tiny moving things.
Well, yes and no. Yes, because working distance is higher for some species of bugs, but then, the minimum requirement is 300mm. And no precisely because of that. A long range lens is enough.

I am happy with the Tamron because I am relatively patient with insects. However, there are times when there is this beautiful specimen a long way away and I do not have time to change lenses. Hence the requirement of a second body. Though I will look funny.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 4th November 2011 at 18:08.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 18:18   #8733
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
...I am happy with the Tamron .....I do not have time to change lenses. Hence the requirement of a second body. Though I will look funny.
Did you mean, you are happy with the Tokina ?
Got your point about second body, I have seen few people carrying 3 bodies, so dont think about looking funny or weird, end justifies the means !!!

My first test shot with a product, using Elinchrom. This is the lowest intensity of FX200 lights.
The DSLR Thread-vua.jpg
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 18:37   #8734
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 1,320 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
However, its the Sigma 150 Macro that just blows me away with its excellent sharpness and wholesome contrast. Its a great macro lens that also works extremely well for portraits

Here are a few examples:
Man Vikash
Those are some stunning photos. Kudos!
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 19:17   #8735
BHPian
 
yajaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 370
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

@-ve - i was refering to the Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, i had this lens with my D50, the images were always soft, i had used it as telephoto lens and not for macro shots. I then picked up the 55-200mm lens, i had done some test shots and found the 55-200 gave a better pics at the same setting. Hence my opinion was to save up and buy a lens if one can wait. BTW saw your flickr stream fantastic shots.
yajaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 07:21   #8736
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
......
Great shots Vikas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Did you mean, you are happy with the Tokina ?
Got your point about second body, I have seen few people carrying 3 bodies, so dont think about looking funny or weird, end justifies the means !!!
Freudian slip? LOL. Yeah I meant the Tokina. It is close to being my favourite lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@-ve - i was refering to the Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, i had this lens with my D50, ..... BTW saw your flickr stream fantastic shots.
I have the same lens. Thank you for your appreciation. All my long shots (200mm+) have been taken with this lens.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 09:48   #8737
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 901
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

How is the Pentax K-r compared to Nikon D3100 in real world usage? (Am from South India). On paper the Pentax Looks better. But not sure of availability and service. Also presence in online stores is non-existant.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 10:22   #8738
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How is the Pentax K-r compared to Nikon D3100 in real world usage? (Am from South India). On paper the Pentax Looks better. But not sure of availability and service. Also presence in online stores is non-existant.
If you are worried about service, don't go for Pentax. I own a Pentax K-x since 9 months and enjoying it to the core. There are no Pentax authorized dealers or service centers in India. We do have a small but very helpful community of Pentax users in India.

Check out pentaxforums.com, especially this thread - Pentax users from India? - PentaxForums.com
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 10:49   #8739
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 901
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

@ Gandhi; What is the cost of Pentax k-r with kit lens?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 11:24   #8740
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,637
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
However, its the Sigma 150 Macro that just blows me away with its excellent sharpness and wholesome contrast. Its a great macro lens that also works extremely well for portraits
Stunning pics bro !! Excellent bokeh and are crisp sharp
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 11:31   #8741
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
@ Gandhi; What is the cost of Pentax k-r with kit lens?
It is selling at around 580 USD on Amazon with just 18-55mm kit lens. Im sure you can find cheaper option on other websites like buy.com or buydig.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 14:10   #8742
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 479
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju

same debate I had couple of months ago to replace my kit canon 17~85 lens with 24~105L and ended with Tamron 17~50 f2.8 with out VC lens.
It's nice lens and had good picture quality. AF makes some noise. For the price and constant f2.8 its good replacement for Kit lens.

If he's looking to replace the kit lens for more range and cost is not a issue then 24~105L or 24~70 f2.8 is one of the BEST lens.
unable to figure out where I can get the best deal for this lens. can you pls specify some sources where I can get a good deal?
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 05:14   #8743
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 619
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
unable to figure out where I can get the best deal for this lens. can you pls specify some sources where I can get a good deal?
If you are open for International sellers then check out the HK based retailers like T-Dimension, DWI electronics. They offer competitive prices for third party lenses. Drop a note to them and check whether they ship to India.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:12   #8744
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 479
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
If you are open for International sellers then check out the HK based retailers like T-Dimension, DWI electronics. They offer competitive prices for third party lenses. Drop a note to them and check whether they ship to India.
Even if they ship to india, the problem would be the excise duty, which can be crazy and the cost will shoot up like anything.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 04:58   #8745
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Olympus Admits to Fraud - Shares Drop 29% Overnight

Pretty poor from world`s largest medical supplier of endoscopes.

Olympus Admission Executives Hid Losses Yields More Questions Than Answers - Bloomberg
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks