Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 17:18   #8941
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 672 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Why not a good Prosumer Superzoom? Like this one: PowerShot SX40 HS - Canon India - Personal
Anshuman

The PowerShot SX40 looks really promising to me. Do you think it is capable of capturing as good low-light images as that of a DSLR (550D/D5100)? How is the image quality when all the optical zoom is used up, i.e. 35x? I am referring to say, birds or moon photography.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th December 2011, 17:30   #8942
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

Or you can also try the Nikon D90, since it is an outgoing model there also you'll get deals.
The D90 body-only will cost more than 30K. Canon 1100D or a Nikon D3100 is a good bet.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 17:31   #8943
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 6,851
Thanked: 4,824 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Anshuman

The PowerShot SX40 looks really promising to me. Do you think it is capable of capturing as good low-light images as that of a DSLR (550D/D5100)? How is the image quality when all the optical zoom is used up, i.e. 35x? I am referring to say, birds or moon photography.
Never used it, so no Idea. I have used a similar Sony camera. A prosumer camera is easier to use and has more predictable results for someone who does not have patience/time/interest to learn using DSLR. Plus it comes with zoom capability, not everyone wants to spend extra/ wants to carry extra lenses with DSLR.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 17:33   #8944
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore North
Posts: 1,403
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
....i need a good cam to shoot / record her performances. Need a good zoom feature so that i can shoot the stage area from some distance.......
If I am in your place, I would get Nikon D3100 and Nikon 70-300 VRII, thats all I would take with me for shooting images. Stage performances are well lit, (in fact professionally lit) so the above combination can rock. The kit lens can do all your other duties.

For video, get a decent HD cam from Sony, Canon or any such brand with good reviews.

If you want to do both in one, I cant find anything lower than Canon 7D.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 18:07   #8945
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 618 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If I am in your place, I would get Nikon D3100 and Nikon 70-300 VRII, thats all I would take with me for shooting images. Stage performances are well lit, (in fact professionally lit) so the above combination can rock. The kit lens can do all your other duties.

For video, get a decent HD cam from Sony, Canon or any such brand with good reviews.

If you want to do both in one, I cant find anything lower than Canon 7D.
I would also advise a separate system for video and still. Get a decent video which has HD capability.

What ever camera you use, you will require additional lights, unless you want to spend a fortune on very fast lenses. Please consult your wife on how much lights she can bear comfortably. Normally extra lights are not much of a problem in dance recitals (unlike plays and other functions).

In case extra lighting is approved by your wife, invest in at least one pair of professional grade lights of sufficient intensity and colour temperature.

You will also need a good sturdy tripod to mount your video and DSLR, else low (relatively) lights and camera shakes will mar the shots.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 19:25   #8946
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hello guys,

Thanks to all who have responded to my query. I wish to clarify certain things here.

1) My wife is not a professional dancer who will be on the stage very frequently. So, investing in a very expensive setup is out of question.
Maybe as Shajufx has advised, i may be able to stretch upto Nikon D3100 with kit lens + VRII.

2) Regarding lights- as pointed out correctly, the stage will be a well lit area and we cannot ask for extra lights unless specifically requested by the dance choreographer.

I have got lot of things to ponder and maybe i need to align and stretch my budget a little bit.

Also, i need to know how good the 'used' equipment will be and from where these can be procured.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions gentlemen.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 04:02   #8947
BHPian
 
chethan.ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes dear, trying to make some bucks after spending for the last 3 years nonstop. Everyone keeps saying DSLR is a money pit, now I am at the rock bottom of it not able to climb up and I need some hay to catch on to come up to the natural light around.

I will call myself a PRO only when I can cover the cost of my bag and its contents. Hope that happens before I need to start selling lenses to feed my kids Thanks for the wishes and I really need prayers and blessings than anything else. If its written for me, it will go well, otherwise no regrets too !
Congrats master on your new set of equipment. If you need a person for assisting you by carrying lights and stuff, you know whom to contact. I will be waiting for that call.
chethan.ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 08:31   #8948
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,239
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello guys,
.
.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions gentlemen.
I can see you want to shoot form a distance and want a long zoom, but it's going to be difficult, one because of lower aperture and slow speed you get at that range, and second the shake you will get at that range.

If you are ready to experiment, try getting a tripod and a remote release setup as close to the stage as possible. you can also try getting those motorized astronomical telescope mounts or do a DIY with a servo motor to adjust direction with a remote (hint, buy a chinese remote controlled car and use it's control circuit+motor). I have seen zoom controls on canon DSLR remotes, not sure what kinds of lenses they work with.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:46   #8949
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore North
Posts: 1,403
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
....the stage will be a well lit area and we cannot ask for extra lights unless specifically requested by the dance choreographer...... how good the 'used' equipment will be and from where these can be procured.....
Exactly what I meant, majority of the professional shows do not allow extra lights that would spoil the lighting set on stage and an insult to the audience who have paid for their time. Performer also gets badly affected if someone is using a high power flash. You will get plenty of used stuff through BPC and JJMehta site, just register there and keep checking the buy & sell sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Congrats master on your new set of equipment. If you need a person for assisting you by carrying lights and stuff, you know whom to contact. I will be waiting for that call.
You are returning my question now ! I am yet to get a contract with 'Metalica' or renowned international performers of India as you do ! Trying to convince some of the uncles and aunties around me to get married a second time, so I get a start

"No man can ever love you.....like I do....." You got my point !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 10:41   #8950
BHPian
 
MindSpeeDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 112
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Anshuman

The PowerShot SX40 looks really promising to me. Do you think it is capable of capturing as good low-light images as that of a DSLR (550D/D5100)? How is the image quality when all the optical zoom is used up, i.e. 35x? I am referring to say, birds or moon photography.
Ajay, the low light IQ of SX40 cannot be compared to the DSLRs. The sensor size plays a very important role in this. For that matter any of the compacts,2/3 sensors or even the Micro four thirds would not yet match the IQ of the DSLRs. The MFTs seem to be pretty close though.
From what I have heard the SX40 does a very good job across the zoom and its IS is supposedly very good.
Sony and Panasonic seem to have an edge when it comes to Video. I'd go with Canon over Nikon for Video though.
MindSpeeDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:46   #8951
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I can see you want to shoot form a distance and want a long zoom, but it's going to be difficult, one because of lower aperture and slow speed you get at that range, and second the shake you will get at that range.

If you are ready to experiment, try getting a tripod and a remote release setup as close to the stage as possible. you can also try getting those motorized astronomical telescope mounts or do a DIY with a servo motor to adjust direction with a remote (hint, buy a chinese remote controlled car and use it's control circuit+motor). I have seen zoom controls on canon DSLR remotes, not sure what kinds of lenses they work with.
Thanks !!! But the above sounds a very expensive proposition and also very pro.

I am yet to lay my hands on a DSLR and the above will just whizz over my head..
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:20   #8952
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Thanks !!! But the above sounds a very expensive proposition and also very pro.
I am yet to lay my hands on a DSLR and the above will just whizz over my head..
If you want to shoot good quality videos of dance performances, I will advice against a DSLR with HD video capability - mainly because most of them does have a time limit up to which it is recommended to record continuously. Moreover, they may struggle to acquire proper focus on the moving person because AF while you record can be suboptimal.

I'd say get a decent handy-cam for your video shooting needs.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th December 2011 at 14:21.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 15:05   #8953
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 20,059
Thanked: 9,088 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If you want to shoot good quality videos of dance performances, I will advice against a DSLR with HD video capability - mainly because most of them does have a time limit up to which it is recommended to record continuously. Moreover, they may struggle to acquire proper focus on the moving person because AF while you record can be suboptimal.

I'd say get a decent handy-cam for your video shooting needs.
Panasonic GH series do Video just fine, and offer very good AF while video shooting. This AF problem in video is more so for traditional canon/nikon DSLRS where video is not built into design, but a jugaad to stay with the competition
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 20:48   #8954
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Why am I getting vignetting?

Image details-

Aperture- f/5.6
Shutter- 1/800s
Focal length-98mm
EV- -0.3
ISO-200

D90 with 18-105, used the lens hood.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_1520_043.jpg
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:34   #8955
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Why am I getting vignetting?

Image details-

Aperture- f/5.6
Shutter- 1/800s
Focal length-98mm
EV- -0.3
ISO-200

D90 with 18-105, used the lens hood.

Attachment 852892
Nearly all lenses have some level of vignetting.

This should answer your question - check the light fall off @ F5.6 and 100mm which is close to the focal length that you are shooting at.

Nikon 18-105mm VR

Get rid of vignetting by PPing the file in PS5 or LR3, DXO Optics or similar tools.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 126 5th May 2014 00:13
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks