Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 03:41   #9286
BHPian
 
thewhiteknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 101
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Alrightey, lets clear this up. responses inline below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
2L?! :O Flipkart started selling motorbikes? Anyhow, how is the camera?!

Hey! I've been ordering from them for a while now and irritatingly enough, their service is so good that when i'm randomly sitting at home, if nothing else, i end up ordering pots of books and comics. Seriously, compare their prices to a Landmark or Crossword, there is a huge price differential. That's why the 2L figure; mobiles, laptops, lenses, cameras, books, memory cards, and even a machine machine...it all got delivered without a hitch and a much lower price than what i was getting in the shops. And yes, i have a room dedicated to my books, my entire family is like that.

The camera, ah, the camera, honestly, for a beginner (I'm talkng about me here), is brilliant. I can think of a couple of options v. the 550D but I got the canon because of the lens options.


Ebay? Isn't it risky to order it from there? You know, the packaging, warranty, genuine stuff, customer support...

Not really. I obviously cannot guarantee anything but i have always had a good experience with ebay. Caveat being that the usual online shopping rules apply. Incidentally, why do you think ebay is riskier than Flipkart. Both are basically online shopping portals.

However, I think you have saved me a lot of money if I order from ebay. 34k with the kit lens is an amazing deal. The saved 5k can be used for a memory card, bag, and filters. I'm not sure about getting a tripod, I dont see myself using it.

Quite possible that you wont want a tripod, esp. If you use only Image Stabilizer (IS) lens. Incidentally, it is recommended to turn the IS off when on a tripod. Images turn out blurred when the IS is on while using a tripod. However, the 50mm lens for 6XXX is not image stabilized so you will require steady hands or surface.

I'm aware of the kit lens being amazing. And I'm not comparing images from 550D with the ones from P&S. Even when compared with other DSLRs, I guess 550D gives amazing results(correct me if I'm wrong :-P ).

Nope, the quality of the images depends a lot on the lens. Im not sure what a 550D can be compared to image quality wise but honestly, the 550D is a good body. You need some good glass and technique to really make it work. Check out the 550D gallery on Flikr if you like. I am underlining technique because that's one of the few things that is an abstract and completely dependent on you and no matter how much money you spend on good/expensive glass, good technique goes a long long way than the others.

Now for the doubts:

- I want to get a prime 50mm lens. Canon or tamron or anything else? Approx price?

Get the Canon 50mm/f1.8. It costs some 6XXX from Flipkart. It is cheap enough to learn with and not have the missus screaming her head off.

- I might get a 18-200mm lens. Canon or tamron or sigma? Approx price

One Q, Why? And I'm not sure which one you are referring to...Canon/Tamron/Sigma...I would suggest the 55-250 IS from canon. Doesn't require a tripod since it is IS.

- Brands for good bags, memory cards, and tripod (which model and make)? Approx price?

Good bags: Lowepro AW series is my personal preference. Check out Flipkart for the range of bags available, read up online, go the manufacturer websites...basically, pick your requirements, find the price point in flipkart and research online and see what options may be there.

Memory Cards: Sandisk extreme and extreme pro. Thats what I trust and run. Flipkart still had the 16gb for 1650/-, i believe. Thats what I got and recommend.

Tripod: Ah so finally, you DO want a tripod . leave that out for now. If you insist, I seriously think thats a different post.

- Filters, necessary? use? brand? Approx price?

For starters, I would recommend only a Polarizer. Depending on how much you advance your skills, when you advance, pick a grade of a ND filter. and then life just opens up and you wont have an idea of the number of lenses and filters and flash kits and rechargeable batteries and hoods and god knows whatnot. Important thing to note here, I recommended the 55-250 for 2 simple reasons: 1. Compatible IS large zoom lens for around the 15K mark. 2. The diameter: both the 18-55 and the 55-250 share a diameter size of 58 mm so compatible filters will work with both. FYI, The 50mm/f1.8 is 52mm.

I'm sorry for all these questions but I'm a beginner and this is my first camera/big investment so have to make sure everything if planned correctly. Hope you understand.

whataa, da! I'm also a beginner. I am just passing onto you what I learnt...And seriously, trust me, the sorrier you are, the most time/money/effort you expend getting to where you actually want to be.

Any input/suggestions/advice/arguments regarding 550D are appreciated.

Personally, not for a moment do i regret my decision. The 550D is inherently well equipped so all you need to do is build on it. Lenses, Filters, Flash kits, Hoods, Bags.....as always, the most pertinent factor is the the human operating the equipment.

Thanks

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 26th February 2012 at 03:54.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 09:38   #9287
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 16
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
+1 to sachinj12 post.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of scratches you can get to the tripod head or base plate. Can we have a lookee?
I am not talking about the scratches on the tripod head or plate. I am talking about the scratches on the base of the camera.
Here is the picture of what i meant.
Please ignore the number markings as i have taken this pic from internet.
Attached Images
 
Rajvir Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 09:58   #9288
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post

- I want to get a prime 50mm lens. Canon or tamron or anything else? Approx price?

If the OEM and third party is similarly priced, get the OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post

- I might get a 18-200mm lens. Canon or tamron or sigma? Approx price
Why do you want to overlap your range? If you are getting the 18-55 kit lens, buy a 55-200 instead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post


- Brands for good bags, memory cards, and tripod (which model and make)? Approx price?
Lowepro,tamrac for bags. San disk for memory card, make sure you get a class 6 or best class 10. Tripod? Best would be to get a Manfrotto or a Benro, but they cost nothing less than 8k

You can try Vanguard, they are some serious value for money.

I bought a Vanguard Espod Plus 203AB for 4.3K, worth every penny and answers my need. IF you are very serious, get the head and the legs separate. Shajufx and others will be able to guide you more correctly on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
- Filters, necessary? use? brand? Approx price?
Try sticking to Hoya
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 11:20   #9289
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
I am not talking about the scratches on the tripod head or plate. I am talking about the scratches on the base of the camera. Here is the picture of what i meant.
A decent quality tripod head + tripod combination will have non slip material affixed to the quick release plate - it serves two purposes viz prevents the camera from turning around on its axis when framing shots in portrait orientation and prevents scratches to the camera's base. If you are looking to buy a tripod that is reasonably priced with high VFM start off with Vanguard. SachinJ12's tripod (the Vanguard Espod Plus 203AB) is a good start. You can then graduate to higher end tripods and ball heads if you wish in the future.

A tripod is generally one of those items where people start off with dirt cheap models (who wants to spend on a tripod?!) and then slowly realise that they need a better one. After all there's a considerable amount of money being supported by those spindly legs. The tripods that come as freebies are, well, flimsy and that is putting it diplomatically.

So I would advise you not to make the mistakes most amateurs (including me) made and go in for a good quality set of legs and ball head at the beginning. It would save you some money.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th February 2012 at 11:21.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 11:50   #9290
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

A tripod is generally one of those items where people start off with dirt cheap models (who wants to spend on a tripod?!) and then slowly realise that they need a better one. After all there's a considerable amount of money being supported by those spindly legs. The tripods that come as freebies are, well, flimsy and that is putting it diplomatically.

So I would advise you not to make the mistakes most amateurs (including me) made and go in for a good quality set of legs and ball head at the beginning. It would save you some money.

Testament to this statement is here



Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

They do their work,yes. But its always wise to invest in a nice sturdy tripod and a good carry case. Personal experience,take it from me. I hadn't bought a tripod back then and was making use of the el cheapo 500 buck pod. My heart popped when the damn thing toppled. Luckily I had the strap around me neck!

To all those who think a tripod is a junk investment, all I can say is they are penny wise and pound foolish.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:04   #9291
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

Testament to this statement is here

To all those who think a tripod is a junk investment, all I can say is they are penny wise and pound foolish.
Though i am fully convinced on the need of a sturdy tripod, i am too shy to use that. Hence i have not bought one till now. Buying one for shooting star trails on my terrace would be an overkill.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:45   #9292
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Though i am fully convinced on the need of a sturdy tripod, i am too shy to use that. Hence i have not bought one till now. Buying one for shooting star trails on my terrace would be an overkill.

A tripod is not just for night shots but any situation where there is a combination of one or more of the following:

a) low light (most obviously ) for a given shutter and lens aperture setting.
b) You use telephotos w/o VR or IS where hand shake is a strict no-no even during day light
c) You need auxiliary support. Some lens and camera combinations can get heavy to carry around for extended periods.


A relatively compact monopod is discrete and can help. Some of my friends and relatives also use bean bags to prop up their cameras on trips to wild-life reserves.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th February 2012 at 13:47.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 14:17   #9293
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A tripod is not just for night shots but any situation where there is a combination of one or more of the following:
a) low light (most obviously) for a given shutter and lens aperture setting.
b) You use telephotos w/o VR or IS where hand shake is a strict no-no even during day light
c) You need auxiliary support. Some lens and camera combinations can get heavy to carry around for extended periods.
A relatively compact monopod is discrete and can help. Some of my friends and relatives also use bean bags to prop up their cameras on trips to wild-life reserves.
Regards,
May be you didn't get what I said
I very well know various uses of a tripod. But since I am shy to use that outside (I don't want those looks) I will end up using it for shooting star trails from my terrace, where I don't need to be shy And buying one for that purpose only would not make sense!

I use a 70-210 without VR/IS but my sensor has stabilization so I can live with it.
A handheld shot with that for example:

Last edited by clevermax : 26th February 2012 at 14:23.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 16:14   #9294
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
May be you didn't get what I said
I very well know various uses of a tripod. But since I am shy to use that outside (I don't want those looks) I will end up using it for shooting star trails from my terrace, where I don't need to be shy And buying one for that purpose only would not make sense!

I use a 70-210 without VR/IS but my sensor has stabilization so I can live with it. A handheld shot with that for example:
Nice photo Clevermax. Not sure which 70-210 this is but with IS in the body you would probably not need a tripod with most lenses. Do you use a Pentax or Sony/Minolta?

I am with you on a tripod, especially the larger ones, attracting attention of people whilst shooting outside. I too like to be discrete for various reasons.

Also, the intention wasnt to imply that YOU don't know what a tripod is used for, but it was a slightly verbose response for the benefit of those starting off with a new DSLR kit and photography.

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 16:24   #9295
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Today I went to the camera shop to buy HOYA UV Filter which costs 950.

When I enquired about the canon lens, here is the price I got it. I tested the prime lens by fitting it in my camera, it is very good, I compared both the pics from the kit lens. My kit lens ISO jumped to 1600, but the prime lens was 480 with nice bokeh. This is in my wish list, but before that I wanted to have a zoom lens.

Canon 50mm prime lens - 6K
Canon 70-250 mm MKII - 14K
Canon 18-200 mm MKII - 19K

Any suggestions on the zoom lens, can I go with other brands like tamron and sigmna ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
2L?! :O Flipkart started selling motorbikes? Anyhow, how is the camera?!

Ebay? Isn't it risky to order it from there? You know, the packaging, warranty, genuine stuff, customer support...

However, I think you have saved me a lot of money if I order from ebay. 34k with the kit lens is an amazing deal. The saved 5k can be used for a memory card, bag, and filters. I'm not sure about getting a tripod, I dont see myself using it.

I'm aware of the kit lens being amazing. And I'm not comparing images from 550D with the ones from P&S. Even when compared with other DSLRs, I guess 550D gives amazing results(correct me if I'm wrong :-P ).

Now for the doubts:

- I want to get a prime 50mm lens. Canon or tamron or anything else? Approx price?

- I might get a 18-200mm lens. Canon or tamron or sigma? Approx price

- Brands for good bags, memory cards, and tripod (which model and make)? Approx price?

- Filters, necessary? use? brand? Approx price?

I'm sorry for all these questions but I'm a beginner and this is my first camera/big investment so have to make sure everything if planned correctly. Hope you understand.

Any input/suggestions/advice/arguments regarding 550D are appreciated.

Thanks
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 17:24   #9296
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 601
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Any suggestions on the zoom lens, can I go with other brands like tamron and sigmna ?
Of course . Both Tamron and Sigma make excellent 17-50/2.8 lenses for Canon. I own the Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC which offers great VFM.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 22:20   #9297
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Nice photo Clevermax. Not sure which 70-210 this is but with IS in the body you would probably not need a tripod with most lenses. Do you use a Pentax or Sony/Minolta?
I am with you on a tripod, especially the larger ones, attracting attention of people whilst shooting outside. I too like to be discrete for various reasons.
Also, the intention wasnt to imply that YOU don't know what a tripod is used for, but it was a slightly verbose response for the benefit of those starting off with a new DSLR kit and photography.
Cheers!
Yes, I am on Sony Minolta.. Sony's body and Sony+Minolta lenses!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 17:44   #9298
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 263
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I am looking to buy a Lens Filter for my Canon 600D (18-135mm lens). What filter to choose for this? The filter size is 67mm.
1. Hoya 67mm Uv (C) or - Price is Rs. 1100
2. Hoya PRO1 D 67mm UV (0) - Price is Rs. 2100

I really have no idea what is the difference. I don't mind paying Rs. 1000 extra for getting the UV (0) lens if it makes sense.
Animesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 17:52   #9299
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,334
Thanked: 3,838 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I really have no idea what is the difference. I don't mind paying Rs. 1000 extra for getting the UV (0) lens if it makes sense.
Thinner and better coating. It may not be a big difference if you're not a finicky type. But it does make a difference. Choice is entirely yours.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 18:55   #9300
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I went to the camera shop to buy HOYA UV Filter which costs 950.
@gopinathann: I am going to buy a Hoya UV+Circular Polarizer filter for my Sony HX100V. However, the filter doesn't fit the lens directly. I will need to get a adapter ring to fix the filter. Any idea where I can get this adapter ring? Its not available on EBay/Flipkart.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks