Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th February 2012, 19:01   #9301
BHPian

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

It should be available in camera accessories shop.

In ebay.in try step-up or step-down adapter
e.g below
72-58 Step-Down Adapter Ring 72mm to 58mm Thread NEW (Rs. 1236)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
@gopinathann: I am going to buy a Hoya UV+Circular Polarizer filter for my Sony HX100V. However, the filter doesn't fit the lens directly. I will need to get a adapter ring to fix the filter. Any idea where I can get this adapter ring? Its not available on EBay/Flipkart.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 02:19   #9302

My responses are not in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Alrightey, lets clear this up. responses inline below.

Not really. I obviously cannot guarantee anything but i have always had a good experience with ebay. Caveat being that the usual online shopping rules apply. Incidentally, why do you think ebay is riskier than Flipkart. Both are basically online shopping portals.

Ebay is more like medium between a buyer and a seller, whereas flipkart is the seller. I've only ordered once from ebay, and it was fine but i ordered once from Rediff shopping, got totally ripped off. So not sure. But i will definitely try and buy from ebay.

Quite possible that you wont want a tripod, esp. If you use only Image Stabilizer (IS) lens. Incidentally, it is recommended to turn the IS off when on a tripod. Images turn out blurred when the IS is on while using a tripod. However, the 50mm lens for 6XXX is not image stabilized so you will require steady hands or surface.

I think you have convinced me to get a tripod :P But only after a month or two after i get my camera because i already have a teeny tiny tripod for Bokeh.

Nope, the quality of the images depends a lot on the lens. Im not sure what a 550D can be compared to image quality wise but honestly, the 550D is a good body. You need some good glass and technique to really make it work. Check out the 550D gallery on Flikr if you like. I am underlining technique because that's one of the few things that is an abstract and completely dependent on you and no matter how much money you spend on good/expensive glass, good technique goes a long long way than the others.

I think i have understood the importance of technique and lens. I will make sure i get the appropriate lenses

- I want to get a prime 50mm lens. Canon or tamron or anything else? Approx price?

Get the Canon 50mm/f1.8. It costs some 6XXX from Flipkart. It is cheap enough to learn with and not have the missus screaming her head off.

Agreed

- I might get a 18-200mm lens. Canon or tamron or sigma? Approx price

One Q, Why? And I'm not sure which one you are referring to...Canon/Tamron/Sigma...I would suggest the 55-250 IS from canon. Doesn't require a tripod since it is IS.

Which brand should i choose for a 18-200mm lens? I'm asking about tamron and sigma, apart from canon, because they are cheaper. Atleast Tamron is :P
I dont want a 55-250 lens because then i would have to carry two lenses, 18-55 and 55-250. 18-200 just makes things easier when i'm going on a trip and want to do general photography. It adds to versatility.

- Brands for good bags, memory cards, and tripod (which model and make)? Approx price?

Good bags: Lowepro AW series is my personal preference. Check out Flipkart for the range of bags available, read up online, go the manufacturer websites...basically, pick your requirements, find the price point in flipkart and research online and see what options may be there.

Memory Cards: Sandisk extreme and extreme pro. Thats what I trust and run. Flipkart still had the 16gb for 1650/-, i believe. Thats what I got and recommend.

Tripod: Ah so finally, you DO want a tripod . leave that out for now. If you insist, I seriously think thats a different post.

Why is tripod a different post??!!!

- Filters, necessary? use? brand? Approx price?

For starters, I would recommend only a Polarizer. Depending on how much you advance your skills, when you advance, pick a grade of a ND filter. and then life just opens up and you wont have an idea of the number of lenses and filters and flash kits and rechargeable batteries and hoods and god knows whatnot. Important thing to note here, I recommended the 55-250 for 2 simple reasons: 1. Compatible IS large zoom lens for around the 15K mark. 2. The diameter: both the 18-55 and the 55-250 share a diameter size of 58 mm so compatible filters will work with both. FYI, The 50mm/f1.8 is 52mm.

Ohhhhh. God this is confusing :P I think i will just get the body, 18-55 kit, 50mm lens for now and keep things easy and simple till i get used to everything :P
My responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
If the OEM and third party is similarly priced, get the OEM.

What if OEM is cheaper??

Why do you want to overlap your range? If you are getting the 18-55 kit lens, buy a 55-200 instead.

Because then i would have to carry two lenses, 18-55 and 55-250. 18-200 just makes things easier when i'm going on a trip and want to do general photography. It adds to versatility. But im sticking only to 18-55 and 50 right now.

Lowepro,tamrac for bags. San disk for memory card, make sure you get a class 6 or best class 10. Tripod? Best would be to get a Manfrotto or a Benro, but they cost nothing less than 8k

You can try Vanguard, they are some serious value for money.

I bought a Vanguard Espod Plus 203AB for 4.3K, worth every penny and answers my need. IF you are very serious, get the head and the legs separate. Shajufx and others will be able to guide you more correctly on this.

When i get one, i will get Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I went to the camera shop to buy HOYA UV Filter which costs 950.

When I enquired about the canon lens, here is the price I got it. I tested the prime lens by fitting it in my camera, it is very good, I compared both the pics from the kit lens. My kit lens ISO jumped to 1600, but the prime lens was 480 with nice bokeh. This is in my wish list, but before that I wanted to have a zoom lens.

Canon 50mm prime lens - 6K
Canon 70-250 mm MKII - 14K
Canon 18-200 mm MKII - 19K

Any suggestions on the zoom lens, can I go with other brands like tamron and sigmna ?
Thanks for the prices mate. I have the same doubt. I will go for canon 50mm and maybe tamron for the others. I do not know anything about the quality of the lenses.
itspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 09:43   #9303
BHPian

I s it necessary to go for IS zoom lens when the stabilizer is built in, I believe 1100D has it.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:31   #9304
BHPian

A very Informative thread, really loved reading it. Its providing tons of information to me. Hopefully I will be absorbing a lot of that.
pushkark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:59   #9305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I s it necessary to go for IS zoom lens when the stabilizer is built in, I believe 1100D has it.
1100D has sensor stabilization? really?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:55   #9306
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
1100D is not equiped with in-body stabilization. Its only in-lens IS.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:00   #9307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
Thanks for the prices mate. I have the same doubt. I will go for canon 50mm and maybe tamron for the others. I do not know anything about the quality of the lenses.
Don't go in blindly for ANY lens, OEM or 3rd party without checking their reviews. You will be surprised at the number of duds they produce.

Rule of the thumb - OEM glass is generally , but not always, of better quality in image and construction compared with 3rd party manufacturers. Now, before Tamron/Sigma fans protest let me tell you that they too are known to make pretty decent lenses and a fraction of the cost of OEM. As for which one you need to go for - it is your budget and expectations from the lens that will determine the final choice.

Quote:
AFAIK Canon and Nikon do not make cameras with IS/VR built into the bodies. This feature is a part of the lens. It is the smaller camera mfrs that have used the IS-in-body feature to make their cameras a compelling choice against models offered by the larger companies.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:03   #9308
BHPian

Quote:
Erm....None of the Canon camera bodies have Image Stabilization (IS). They have them built into the Lens. I am reasonably sure thats true for Nikon also but would look to Nikon users to confirm. Olympus, Sony and others have them built into the camera body and that too in new models.

Read up here: Does Digital SLR Image Stabilization Really Work?

To answer your question, if Image stabilization is built in to the camera body, you would not require to buy a specific IS Lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nope.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:27   #9309
BHPian

I might be wrong, 1100D has built-in focus motor, so in that case I have to with IS lens.
Canon 1100D vs Nikon D3100
Old 28th February 2012, 12:30   #9310
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is searching this thread for buying a new camera, you may be interested in this announcement from Nokia ! 41 megapixel ONLY
Nokia 808 PureView first sample shots -- feast your eyes (update: GigaPan them!) -- Engadget
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:41   #9311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If anyone is searching this thread for buying a new camera, you may be interested in this announcement from Nokia ! 41 megapixel ONLY
Nokia 808 PureView first sample shots -- feast your eyes (update: GigaPan them!) -- Engadget
I had read about this yesterday but saw no samples. But these are great.

Camera phones are on a trajectory that will probably see them replacing compact cameras in the near future.

Cheers!
Old 28th February 2012, 12:54   #9312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I had read about this yesterday but saw no samples. But these are great.

Camera phones are on a trajectory that will probably see them replacing compact cameras in the near future.

Cheers!
This seems to be a good bait, but I am doubtful about the image quality at 41 MPs. The sensor on this phone is going to be very small, so not sure whether it can pack all the details. However, amazing marketing gimmick by Nokia. There will be millions of people falling for this, I am damn sure.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:07   #9313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This seems to be a good bait, but I am doubtful about the image quality at 41 MPs. The sensor on this phone is going to be very small, so not sure whether it can pack all the details. However, amazing marketing gimmick by Nokia. There will be millions of people falling for this, I am damn sure.
No doubt that this is a marketing tactic and for most people this provides them the 'wow' factor.

Tendency to pixel-peep and image quality discussions aside, what amazes me is the technology that has allowed squeezing in so much resolution into a tiny sensor.

I believe expectations need to be realistic. Of course the camera phone cannot hope to match the quality of images from cameras - compact or otherwise. I take more photos with my 8 MP iPhone 4s than my Nikon DSLR simply because that mobile is always with me. But I don't expect it to match the quality of the DSLR and it doesn't. The output is of acceptable quality. For most people a camera phone allows them to capture memories or instances in time where they were not carrying a camera.

Regards,
Old 28th February 2012, 16:55   #9314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....I take more photos with my 8 MP iPhone 4s than my Nikon DSLR simply because that mobile is always with me.....
Chase Jarvis said "the best camera in the world is what is always with you" ! Somehow I dont feel I am shooting unless I am carrying some weight, blame it on the 3 year habit, but its true.

Looking at the samples of Nokia 41MP cam, I find it worth as 'always on' camera. 99% of my images are used for web, only 1% gets printed. So, I have no chance to complain about quality here anyway.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 18:42   #9315
BHPian

Quote:
I just saw this and still cannot believe it. News should have been "From flailing phones to wicked camera's: Nokia moving on. :P

Whats the sensor size going to be? The size of the entire screen?
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote