Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd March 2012, 22:08   #9331
BHPian

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The link is outdated. A suggestion - please buy your cameras from authorised dealers only. Hope the one on eBay is authorised?
Please try this link ... I hope this works. I am told beach camera is a fairly reliable seller.
EOS 60D SLR Digital Camera with EF 50mm F/1.8 II Standard Auto Focus Lens (678881649405) | eBay

Does Canon's prime lens EF 50mm f/1.8 II have image stabilization (IS) ? I dont see that mentioned anywhere on canon's website
Canon Direct Store- EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Or do the DSLR bodies have inbuilt IS ?
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:15   #9332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Please try this link ... I hope this works. I am told beach camera is a fairly reliable seller.
EOS 60D SLR Digital Camera with EF 50mm F/1.8 II Standard Auto Focus Lens (678881649405) | eBay
Link is invalid again and you are looking at a New Jersey US based seller. Please keep in mind the Shipping, Customs duties and other levies that you will incur should you purchase from this seller. One more thing - US purchases are not covered under warranty in India. Please purchase the camera in India if you require/wish for warranty coverage.

Quote:
Does Canon's prime lens EF 50mm f/1.8 II have image stabilization (IS) ? I dont see that mentioned anywhere on canon's website
Canon Direct Store- EF 50mm f/1.8 II
No, this lens does not have IS

Quote:
Or do the DSLR bodies have inbuilt IS ?
Yes some brands have in-body IS/VR. But NOT Canon and Nikon.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:29   #9333
BHPian

Quote:
Link is invalid again and you are looking at a New Jersey US based seller. Please keep in mind the Shipping, Customs duties and other levies that you will incur should you purchase from this seller. One more thing - US purchases are not covered under warranty in India. Please purchase the camera in India if you require/wish for warranty coverage.
Not sure why the link's not working, anyways here's the deal
Canon 60D + EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens for $900.

Currently i am stationed in the US, so shipping custom duties wont be applicable . I am aware that US warranty is not applicable to India, but i'm willing to take that risk.

So now, your opinions abt the Canon 60D and the deal as such please.
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:08   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Currently i am stationed in the US, so shipping custom duties wont be applicable . I am aware that US warranty is not applicable to India, but i'm willing to take that risk.

Will be good if you can avoid paying Customs at the airport.

As for the deal, I think some Canon owners (I own a Nikon) would be in a better position to comment.

Good luck!
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:27   #9335
BHPian

Quote:

IMO, Its a good deal. The 60D is a good camera; gives you everything the 550D (which is usually compared to the 7D) and more.
A price compare ebay v. Flipkart

ebay US: (Camera Body+50mm f1.8) 900*50=45000
flipkart Ind: (Camera Body+50mm f1.8)= 61386 (54606+6780)

A price difference of 16386 and more....and for that you lose warranty in India. however, if you travel to the US frequently, you can possibly get it serviced there IF you have problems.

Overall, i think its worth it is you travel to the US somewhat frequently. Also, if you really need to use the warranty, ugh, bad luck or bad camera company. I haven't had any issues with my 6 month old 550D and doubt you will too...afterall, tons of people around the world swear by it.

Or if you have a problem with the camera, you could evaluate the price of a trip to the states or getting it fixed in India.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 2nd March 2012 at 23:29.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 00:04   #9336
BHPian

Quote:
Will be good if you can avoid paying Customs at the airport.

As for the deal, I think some Canon owners (I own a Nikon) would be in a better position to comment.

Good luck!
I like Nikon and for long time now I've been eyeing the D7000, but unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to afford it. Being my first DSLR, I was looking to get a mid-range / upper mid-range body and this (canon 60D) here suits my budget of $1000 including a couple of lenses if possible. But if I had the money I would most definitely get the D7000.

Edit: I had gone out for lunch and when I returned the deal expired

Last edited by donarun : 3rd March 2012 at 00:15.
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:09   #9337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This seems to be a good bait, but I am doubtful about the image quality at 41 MPs. The sensor on this phone is going to be very small, so not sure whether it can pack all the details. However, amazing marketing gimmick by Nokia. There will be millions of people falling for this, I am damn sure.
3x crop sensor, same as Nikon v1 and Nikon white paper says its pixel binning and lossless/silent zoom that is the major highlight but looks like the noise of 41mp will not let other features known.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:18   #9338
BHPian

Quote:
I like Nikon and for long time now I've been eyeing the D7000, but unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to afford it. Being my first DSLR, I was looking to get a mid-range / upper mid-range body and this (canon 60D) here suits my budget of $1000 including a couple of lenses if possible. But if I had the money I would most definitely get the D7000.

Bad luck buddy...Get the 550D instead. Its pretty good.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:05   #9339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125

3x crop sensor, same as Nikon v1 and Nikon white paper says its pixel binning and lossless/silent zoom that is the major highlight but looks like the noise of 41mp will not let other features known.
What is the final max resolution of pictures taken with it? If it is pixel binning, then the noise will be much much less. i'd prefer a binned lower (8mp or so) resolution image than a noise-full full res one.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd March 2012 at 10:06.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:33   #9340

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What is the final max resolution of pictures taken with it? If it is pixel binning, then the noise will be much much less. i'd prefer a binned lower (8mp or so) resolution image than a noise-full full res one.
I haven't read the papers but they were posted on Engadget too. I did remember someone telling me it will be 5mp but that could be wrong, 8x pixel binning is way too much, 4x cam be accepted but 8x seems way odd.

Also lens is 2.4 which kinda gives a bit of dof and supposedly has decent bokeh.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:00   #9341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are you planning to upgrade to? Shajufx had a D90 before he sold it and went in for a D700. May be able to advise you. You can expect D700 prices to drop now that the D800 is here.
I am waiting for the D400. I like the 1.5X more reach of DX, and D700 doesn't have enough MPs to get me a good DX crop.

I need a camera good for low light, fast action (e.g. wildlife). D300s or D7000 is not that big an upgrade over D90 for me - can't justify the extra money spent.

Basically, a DX with D700's capabilities.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:51   #9342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you like Nikon, may I suggest the D90. It's listed for $830 on B&H and is 90% the camera that the D7000 is. And is a lot of camera for a first SLR. Post the D7000, the deals on the D90 are sweet.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 20:53   #9343
Senior - BHPian

Who doesn't. I'm waiting for the D800 to be launched in India. Heard that it has good low-light capabilities but nowhere near the D4. Wish Nikon had done that instead of giving humungous MPs. I'm no great worshipper of huge MPs. 12-15 MPs is fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

I need a camera good for low light, fast action (e.g. wildlife). D300s or D7000 is not that big an upgrade over D90 for me - can't justify the extra money spent.

Basically, a DX with D700's capabilities.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 11:39   #9344
BHPian

My query is not exactly related to DSLRs but related to bridge cameras. I currently own a basic sony point and shoot camera. I am planning to upgrade to a bridge camera and I have shortlisted a few, 1) Nikon L120, 2) Panasonic fz-35, 3) Fujifilm s-3300.

My basic requirements are picture clarity, specially in low light and should have less blur while zooming. Out of these three I am more confused between the fujifilm n panasonic models as they both have viewfinders and I really like that feature. Experts in photography please help me find the best camera in my price range. My budget is a max of 15k. Also let me know if any other model which comes in my budget it better than these three.

Thanks in advance
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 13:26   #9345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
My query is not exactly related to DSLRs but related to bridge cameras. I currently own a basic sony point and shoot camera. I am planning to upgrade to a bridge camera and I have shortlisted a few, 1) Nikon L120, 2) Panasonic fz-35, 3) Fujifilm s-3300.
You may want to post your queries here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...sions-etc.html (The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.)

This thread is about DSLRs and related accessories only

Regards,