Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 16:13   #9496
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Gone through all the DSLR cameras of Nikon. I could find that none of the SLR is with in my budget range. Thinking of going for a used one. If any of our Teambhp members want to sell I would give the first preference to them. If some one can suggest a reliable website for used goods,
I just PMed you some links since I an not sure if I can share links to third party sites.

Last edited by coolclouds : 27th March 2012 at 16:16.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:45   #9497
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 980
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Need some help folks. A friend owns 550d with 18-55 kit lens and now wants to purchase a telephoto lense. His budget is around 10k and plans to get it via a friend in US. There are couple of lenses available in his budget on Amazon, but he is not sure which one to go for.

Any suggestions?
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:55   #9498
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Need some help folks. A friend owns 550d with 18-55 kit lens and now wants to purchase a telephoto lense. His budget is around 10k and plans to get it via a friend in US. There are couple of lenses available in his budget on Amazon, but he is not sure which one to go for.

Any suggestions?
In that budget I'd recommend the 55-250IS. I love this lens. It's much better than 75-300mm. If he can afford, ask him to look at 70-300mm IS. He might get a used one for about $350-$400.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:03   #9499
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 980
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
In that budget I'd recommend the 55-250IS. I love this lens. It's much better than 75-300mm. If he can afford, ask him to look at 70-300mm IS. He might get a used one for about $350-$400.
There are two versions of 55-250 lens. One is IS and other is IS II. What is the difference between the two?


IS II version - Amazon.com: Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

IS version - Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:09   #9500
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys there is a 16GB SD card offer on Sulekha.com for INR 499

Get Sandisk Memory Card SDHC 16GB - Sulekha Deals

But the only issue is that its a Class 4 card.

My question is - will it work alright on a Canon 500D? or will it slow it down?

Is anybody using a 16gb class 4 card on a Canon?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:13   #9501
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have not used the IS MKII version, but supposedly it has better IS (gives you more stops). Not sure about it though, a bit of research on google gives me this:

Flickr: Discussing Canon EF-S 55-250 IS II in Canon EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II VS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS ?
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 18:43   #9502
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Only AFS lenses will work i.e. AF with these bodies. To make older D lenses or earlier AF lenses work, you need a D90 or D7000 atleast or one of the older D50,D70,D200,D80,D100 or earlier bodies.
AF with the bodies meaning? The lens need to have the AF motor?
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 19:06   #9503
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waukesha
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
AF with the bodies meaning? The lens need to have the AF motor?
As far as I know, the older lens don't have an in-built focus motors. Hence, to autofocus, you need a camera in which the AF motors are in built. The D90, D7000 and higher models have these. The lower bodies don't have an internal focus motor which means the lens will be a manual focus lens.

Others might be able to provide a better explanation. This is the best I could put, sorry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
That is what I thought too. A manual focus lens is fine by me; what I want to know is whether they can be used with the D3100 body
P.S. Thanks
Don't you have the manual with you? I think the manual gives a list of all the compatible lens. Else, google baba is always there

I am guessing the lens will act as a manual one on a D3100.

And, you are welcome, :-)

Last edited by sachinj12 : 27th March 2012 at 19:27. Reason: Seesh! Grammar! (:-
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 19:22   #9504
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
As far as I know, the older lens don't have an in-built focus motors. Hence, to autofocus, you need a camera in which the AF motors are in built. The D90 and D7000 above have these. The lower bodies don't have an internal focus motor which means the lens will be a manual focus lens.

Others might be able to provide a better explanation. This is the best I could put, sorry.
That is what I thought too. A manual focus lens is fine by me; what I want to know is whether they can be used with the D3100 body
P.S. Thanks
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 19:35   #9505
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 918
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
AF with the bodies meaning? The lens need to have the AF motor?
Yes AFS lenses. Lenses with built in motors.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 19:44   #9506
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,223 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my opinion a 5MP+ cell phone camera does 90% of the job for travel photography, of course as long as the light is right. I have shot tens of thousands of photos with cell phone, mostly for documenting site conditions, and nothing beats the "always available" factor of a phone camera. My latest Nokia Windows phone has an excellent "Macro" capability, hard to beat in a normal DSLR without a macro lense.
+1 to that. Ever since I bought the SGS2, I use its camera for landscape pictures. Always available - in your pocket.

One can avoid changing lenses or can travel with just one lens - usually 70-300mm in my case.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 08:27   #9507
BHPian
 
vsathyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 282
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
That is what I thought too. A manual focus lens is fine by me; what I want to know is whether they can be used with the D3100 body
P.S. Thanks
Are you sure you want to do manual focusing? Believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds... and even if you're off by a bit, your images turn out to be out of focus. If I were you I'd not be risking taking pictures of some unforgettable event/experience/location with a manual focus lens. Sure, over time and practice, you will get it right, but to jump off auto focus and say I'll be fine with manual focus is not something I'd be confident about.

One trick to lower your focusing errors if you go on manual focusing - try and use a small aperture, around f/15 or smaller. This way, you are increasing your depth of field and chances of missing out on focusing are reduced. Similarly, I'd not try manual focusing on a f/1.8 or f/1.4 prime lens with the aperture anything bigger than f/5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Gone through all the DSLR cameras of Nikon. I could find that none of the SLR is with in my budget range. Thinking of going for a used one. If any of our Teambhp members want to sell I would give the first preference to them. If some one can suggest a reliable website for used goods, I would be grateful to them. I realized how much I missed the DSLR during my last tour to the South East Asia. Any how I could manage with my Iphone and the quality was not up to my satisfaction.My preference is Nikon D90 or D48 in reasonable price with good condition.
I have a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm kit lens. I have another 55-200mm lens and 2 spare batteries (total 3 batteries). I have not yet thought of selling my equipment but I am surely looking at upgrades. If you feel this is something you can try your hands at, PM me and we can take it ahead. Other goodies include UV filters, lens pouches, remote shutter trigger, etc.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2012 at 11:48. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 08:40   #9508
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 918
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
That is what I thought too. A manual focus lens is fine by me; what I want to know is whether they can be used with the D3100 body
P.S. Thanks

Yes these lenses will mount and i guess even meter but believe me its not easy as it sounds. Unlike the huge viewfinders of manual focus SLRs, the viewfinders of new consumer SLRs are small and dim so manual focusing is going to be a huge task.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:00   #9509
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Thumbs up Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Are you sure you want to do manual focusing? Believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds... and even if you're off by a bit, your images turn out to be out of focus. If I were you I'd not be risking taking pictures of some unforgettable event/experience/location with a manual focus lens. Sure, over time and practice, you will get it right, but to jump off auto focus and say I'll be fine with manual focus is not something I'd be confident about.

One trick to lower your focusing errors if you go on manual focusing - try and use a small aperture, around f/15 or smaller. This way, you are increasing your depth of field and chances of missing out on focusing are reduced. Similarly, I'd not try manual focusing on a f/1.8 or f/1.4 prime lens with the aperture anything bigger than f/5.6.
Thank you for your input. I had that I-can-do-anything feeling that newbies have, but looks like it is quite difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Yes these lenses will mount and i guess even meter but believe me its not easy as it sounds. Unlike the huge viewfinders of manual focus SLRs, the viewfinders of new consumer SLRs are small and dim so manual focusing is going to be a huge task.
I checked with my dad, and it turns out that the lens is an AFS one. So manual focusing fears are gone. Now to get my hands on those lenses
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:02   #9510
BHPian
 
Racer_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I am a complete noob at the DSLR thing and have been using a digi cam till date. I am planning to graduate to an DSLR and have a budget of around 50-55k. The brand I have in mind is Canon as my FIL has a Canon & collection of lenses which I can use

I need advice on the model and kit which would be most appropriate for regular travel photography to begin with and one of visits to National parks.

Also please suggest decent camera stores in Pune where I can get a good deal along with freebies if possible.

Last edited by Racer_X : 28th March 2012 at 11:10.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks