Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 10:53   #9796
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Thanks Autocrat, Navin and clevermax. Appreciate your input. From few of the reviews I have read (DP review), the 60D does an ordinary job with AF in live view during video shooting. Looks like MF is the best way to record videos. That is the one aspect which bothers me a bit. Of course, the 600D is similar in this respect; so the other advantages of the 60D work in its favour.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 27th May 2012 at 10:56.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 11:44   #9797
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict
Thanks Autocrat, Navin and clevermax. Appreciate your input. From few of the reviews I have read (DP review), the 60D does an ordinary job with AF in live view during video shooting. Looks like MF is the best way to record videos. That is the one aspect which bothers me a bit. Of course, the 600D is similar in this respect; so the other advantages of the 60D work in its favour.
Its the same with 7D. Infact most SLRs are same when it comes to video. You can overcome this problem by setting AF mode to 'face detect'. Greatly solves the problem if you have people in the video, but when there are too many people, its back to manual focus

My biggest worry when I shoot video has never been AF. Its memory. At full HD, a 25 second video consumes 150Mb :lol . Can barely shoot video for 20 minutes.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 13:59   #9798
BHPian
 
bilalsyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 63
Thanked: 19 Times
Smile Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
That GH2 is one mean machine. Only fly in the ointment was the price when it was launched.
got a quote of 95,500 in Delhi !! are the prices that high now ? Why in India only ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My only point was (as others noted) was if you already have a set of Canon lenses, do
you want to move to Nikon? If you can get good value for your lenses, then you should surely consider Nikon.

Now that you have clicked so much with 550D, any thoughts of upgrading to
full frame? (I know you mentioned about budgets). But just a thought !

Also how about 600D?
Now i get the point sir the lenses I have ain't gonna fetch any money. A full frame will sure join the stable in some time(advantages of having a photographer brother). Right now its more budget oriented as its gonna be my B'day gift !

600D under consideration.

Any users of the new sony Alpha series cameras ? A55,57 and 65 ? need reviews here.
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 19:45   #9799
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
got a quote of 95,500 in Delhi !! are the prices that high now ? Why in India only ??
Seems that there are not many pieces floating around. GH3 is coming so manybe they have stopped making them. Whatever be that, at 95k I won't touch this with a 10 foot barge pole.

But on the lighter side, if 95k is your budget then can I recommend FujiFilm XPro?
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

Or X100?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

But seriously, camera matters only that much. Most important is your skill.
It is very difficult to outgrow the capabilities of an average DSLR.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 21:14   #9800
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 141
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
My biggest worry when I shoot video has never been AF. Its memory. At full HD, a 25 second video consumes 150Mb :lol . Can barely shoot video for 20 minutes.
The 60D has limitation of shooting full HD for a max of 12 mins/4 Gb
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 21:24   #9801
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
got a quote of 95,500 in Delhi !! are the prices that high now ? Why in India only ??
That's because Panasonic just released the camera and didn't bother to update the price. You should get it from US, it will cost you $700-$800. That's one heck of a camera if you want to do video. Get adapters and you can use almost any lens out there. Check out the review of it on EOSHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Seems that there are not many pieces floating around. GH3 is coming so manybe they have stopped making them. Whatever be that, at 95k I won't touch this with a 10 foot barge pole.

But on the lighter side, if 95k is your budget then can I recommend FujiFilm XPro?
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

Or X100?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

But seriously, camera matters only that much. Most important is your skill.
It is very difficult to outgrow the capabilities of an average DSLR.
I had a chance to try the X-Pro1 a while back and hated the AF. Having said that, X100 is supposed to be a bit better. A friend of mine is selling his X100 to get the OM-D:

WTS: Fuji X100 with Custom-made Leicatime Italian leather case
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 22:26   #9802
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Seems that there are not many pieces floating around. GH3 is coming so manybe they have stopped making them. Whatever be that, at 95k I won't touch this with a 10 foot barge pole.

But on the lighter side, if 95k is your budget then can I recommend FujiFilm XPro?
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

Or X100?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Mirrorless: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

But seriously, camera matters only that much. Most important is your skill.
It is very difficult to outgrow the capabilities of an average DSLR.
Panny GH2 @ Rs 1L, Rs 1L for the Fuji X-Pro 1 (US$ 1699 at B&H) and and Rs 75K for the X100 (US$ 1199 @ B&H), both Panasonic and Fuji seems to be imbibing some strange substance when fixing their prices in India. No way I will pay these atrocious prices.

Oh yes, check Nasim Mansurov's review of the X-Pro 1, the AF is rather weak.

You are right, very few people can master modern digital cameras be they FX, DX or m4/3rds.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 22:27   #9803
BHPian
 
bilalsyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 63
Thanked: 19 Times
Smile Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Seems that there are not many pieces floating around. GH3 is coming so manybe they have stopped making them. Whatever be that, at 95k I won't touch this with a 10 foot barge pole.

But on the lighter side, if 95k is your budget then can I recommend FujiFilm XPro?
budget as of now 40-45K maaax ! please don't tempt me with x ! i wist i had that much moolah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
That's because Panasonic just released the camera and didn't bother to update the price. You should get it from US, it will cost you $700-$800. That's one heck of a camera if you want to do video. Get adapters and you can use almost any lens out there. Check out the review of it on EOSHD.
thinking of doing the same. These people in delhi would have planned to order it online for $700 and sell it to me for approx. for $ 2K !! Thats why he said it will take a week..
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 22:50   #9804
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
budget as of now 40-45K maaax !
Stick to a Canon then since you already have some glass for it.
Just make sure that there is a built in motor in it.

BTW OM-D is also available in India.
Olympus EM-5 with M.ZUIKO ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ Lens

77k
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 23:15   #9805
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
BTW OM-D is also available in India.
Olympus EM-5 with M.ZUIKO ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ Lens

77k
That's a crazy price and it's the price on the box. I saw the OM-D and got a quote of 59k+ (body only) at Fotocircle and 66k+ (for body and lens). Plus, the rupee killing it right now. Their prices fluctuate according to that. Eventually, I think the price will hit 50k or lower (body only), if the rupee falls below 50.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 01:31   #9806
BHPian
 
bilalsyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 63
Thanked: 19 Times
Smile Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Stick to a Canon then since you already have some glass for it.
LOL. for the glass all i have is a 50mm/f1.8, a 18-55 IS a Helios 44M and Hanimar Auto 'S' with some DIY to mount it on the body

Thinking of getting the Sony A55 from the SLT series with a 75-300 mm. But will wait till the prices of D3200 are confirmed.

A55 is anyways better than the 1100D and 550D in some aspects. What about its Comparison with 60D/600D ??
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 06:58   #9807
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed

LOL. for the glass all i have is a 50mm/f1.8, a 18-55 IS a Helios 44M and Hanimar Auto 'S' with some DIY to mount it on the body

Thinking of getting the Sony A55 from the SLT series with a 75-300 mm. But will wait till the prices of D3200 are confirmed.

A55 is anyways better than the 1100D and 550D in some aspects. What about its Comparison with 60D/600D ??
Entry level Sony does not have an optical viewfinder, but an electronic one. (you see a lcd display through viewfinder) Personally its not to my liking, but do check thoroughly before you buy.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 09:09   #9808
BHPian
 
bilalsyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 63
Thanked: 19 Times
Smile Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Entry level Sony does not have an optical viewfinder, but an electronic one. (you see a lcd display through viewfinder) Personally its not to my liking, but do check thoroughly before you buy.
have used an EVF before in my fuji S5800. didn't have any problems as such. But I'd now like to ask everyone here who have used both EVF and Optical VF to please share their experiences...
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 23:39   #9809
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default Firmware Updates - D4 and D800

First set of firmware updates were released for the D4 and D800 cameras today 29th May.

D800 - The updates fixes primarily the lockup problem and issues with the wireless transmitter and playback of photos captured with active D lighting.

D4 - the lock up issues, data transfer, in the D4 and a fix for Custom settings Playback zoom.

This is an indication that any D4 & D800 bodies with focus issues need to be sent to the service centre for adjustments. It probably cannot be done via firmware.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th May 2012 at 23:42.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 09:21   #9810
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
Thinking of getting the Sony A55 from the SLT series with a 75-300 mm. But will wait till the prices of D3200 are confirmed.
A55 is anyways better than the 1100D and 550D in some aspects. What about its Comparison with 60D/600D ??
May be it will be better with AF while shooting videos, because of the continuous phase detection AF..

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Entry level Sony does not have an optical viewfinder, but an electronic one. (you see a lcd display through viewfinder) Personally its not to my liking, but do check thoroughly before you buy.
A correction, none of the Sony SLT cameras has an optical view finder now. It is not only the entry level ones but the semi-pro top end ones also have EVF. Sony has ditched the traditional SLR technology and they have already announced sometime back that SLT will be their preferred technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
have used an EVF before in my fuji S5800. didn't have any problems as such. But I'd now like to ask everyone here who have used both EVF and Optical VF to please share their experiences...
I came from OVF and now loving the EVF in my A35. I do not miss the OVF at all. EVF helps me take pictures with precise adjustments (right exposure, right DOF and accurate WB) in the first click itself, rather than fiddling around with settings to get the shot right in two or three clicks. Many a times, it allows me to look at the LCD screen while shooting rather than having to look through the view finder when it is physically difficult to do so.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th May 2012 at 09:29.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks