Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:15   #10156
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Do we have a separate thread on the topic 'Mirrorless vs Mirrored cameras'? The Sony'x NEX-5 interests me a lot, especially with the price its coming at. I am only concerned about the extremely small lens portfolio of Sony based on their official website data.

Whatever I have read and from some expert's opinions is that the sensor on Mirrorless cameras still cannot match the one on the DSLRs. How true is that? The sensor on the NEX-5 is 10x times bigger than the one on my Sony HX100V superzoom.

What I would love to start with is the NEX-5 with the kit lens and a nice low light(35mm or 50mm f/1.8) PRIME lens. Any expert comments?
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:42   #10157
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

BIG news! Canon finally enters the mirrorless market

Canon U.S.A. : About Canon

Canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
After some research I have now decided to go ahead with the purchase of Nikon D7000. Now, I need advice on getting best deal for this Camera. I checked out Flipkart and their's is the best price at Rs. 57666. But, currently they are out of stock. Ezone online is also quoting the same price but I don't know how genuine they are. Do I have any other options?
If you cannot get it online, try your local/Delhi based retailer. I think there are several mentioned here in this thread itself - please use the search function. Or you can wait till some Delhi based BHPians respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Do we have a separate thread on the topic 'Mirrorless vs Mirrored cameras'? The Sony'x NEX-5 interests me a lot, especially with the price its coming at. I am only concerned about the extremely small lens portfolio of Sony based on their official website data.
There's one thread here where EVILs have been discussed at length.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...l-cameras.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Whatever I have read and from some expert's opinions is that the sensor on Mirrorless cameras still cannot match the one on the DSLRs. How true is that? The sensor on the NEX-5 is 10x times bigger than the one on my Sony HX100V superzoom.?
Yes a DSLR sensor is superior as it larger, and that pays off in better DR (IMHO) and only if you shoot under extreme i.e. low light conditions. I think you would have fun with an EVIL camera as well.

Why are you stuck on Sony? I recall reading somewhere that they aren't importing the NEX series to India any longer. BTW it's not mentioned on their India website either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
What I would love to start with is the NEX-5 with the kit lens and a nice low light(35mm or 50mm f/1.8) PRIME lens. Any expert comments?
Keep in mind EVIL lenses can get expensive, some near the price of premium or pro DSLR lenses. People are really keen about the the Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X Pro range. I think you should browse thru the EVIL camera thread. Also remember that resale values, if it matters to you, of EVIL cameras drop like a stone as a new model is introduced every 6-12 months on an average.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:12   #10158
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you cannot get it online, try your local/Delhi based retailer. I think there are several mentioned here in this thread itself - please use the search function. Or you can wait till some Delhi based BHPians respond.
Thanks for responding R2D2. I am based in Chennai not Delhi .

I have contacted few retailers here in Chennai. Most of them have D7000 with 18-105 VR Kit lens. Only 2 retailers have the body alone and their price seems be 8k higher than the online price of Flipkart. Unfortunately, Flipkart is currently out of stock for D7000. I think you might have got my situation now.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:35   #10159
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Thanks for responding R2D2. I am based in Chennai not Delhi .

I have contacted few retailers here in Chennai. Most of them have D7000 with 18-105 VR Kit lens. Only 2 retailers have the body alone and their price seems be 8k higher than the online price of Flipkart. Unfortunately, Flipkart is currently out of stock for D7000. I think you might have got my situation now.
Oh my bad Ramesh..sorry, for some reason I thought you were in Delhi.

Anyways, for whatever it is worth, I like to buy my cameras and other expensive items from local retailers as it gives me a chance to inspect the item(s) before forking out the money.

BTW, I just checked Flipkart - the D7000 KITis very much in stock @ a price of 74,950. I don't believe they have only the body for sale.

Nikon D7000 SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

Have you tried smartshoppers.in? They have the D7K kit again @ 72700. http://smartshoppers.in/product/niko...105mm-vr-lens/

They are based in Chennai and you could probably visit them.

Smart Shoppers Pvt Ltd,
Ground Floor, Sindhur Pantheon Plaza,
No 346, Pantheon Road,
Egmore , Ch - 600008
Next to Fountain Plaza
Phone: 044- 43508550, 28252071

Between these 2 I would prefer Flipkart but there's a price difference of Rs 2,250.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:52   #10160
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Whatever I have read and from some expert's opinions is that the sensor on Mirrorless cameras still cannot match the one on the DSLRs. How true is that?
People who are making those comments are only thinking Nikon V1/J1, which uses a much smaller sensor. Rest of the mirrorless world uses the same sensor as their dSLR counterpart, so why can't they match their dSLR cousins who use the same sensor? The trouble is rest of the mirrorless camera world is not visible to them since those are neither Canon nor Nikon.

But now Canon has made a very smart move. They didn't take the garden path lead by Nikon with their tiny sensor. Instead, they are offering the APS-C size sensor, same as their entry/mid level dSLRs, a path taken by every other mirrorless make except Nikon.

This changes the game significantly. Now the Canikon crowd has only Canon to look towards in the mirrorless world. Nikon V1/J1 with its tiny sensor can no longer stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Canon in the mirrorless world.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd July 2012 at 20:53.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:58   #10161
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Oh my bad Ramesh..sorry, for some reason I thought you were in Delhi.
Never mind R2D2.

I was actually looking for D7000 body alone. It is listed in flipkart but currently out of stock.

Nikon D7000 SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

At 57,666, this is the best price I have seen so far online.

I did talk with smartshoppers as well. The price quoted by them is well below the flipkart price as well. But, heard from one of other retailer that their landing price itself is higher than that of quoted by smart shoppers. So, I ruled out smart shoppers because of these suspicions.

Why I am looking only for the body is that I wanted to get better lenses like 18-200 or 18-300.

I have now contacted another retailer in Chennai who is quoting Rs. 56000 for the body alone. I will check out with them sometime this week.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:04   #10162
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Why I am looking only for the body is that I wanted to get better lenses like 18-200 or 18-300.
Aren't these like budget lenses? I am not familiar with Nikon lenses, but their zoom range alone is making me suspicious. Good lenses rarely have more than 5X zoom range.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:13   #10163
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Rest of the mirrorless world uses the same sensor as their dSLR counterpart, so why can't they match their dSLR cousins who use the same sensor?
Of course that applies only to DSLRs with cropped sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But now Canon has made a very smart move. They didn't take the garden path lead by Nikon with their tiny sensor. Instead, they are offering the APS-C size sensor, same as their entry/mid level dSLRs, a path taken by every other mirrorless make except Nikon...Nikon V1/J1 with its tiny sensor can no longer stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Canon in the mirrorless world.
+1

That Nikon V1 was a nice try by Nikon, but not good enough. Canon using an APS-C sensor in their mirrorless camera was a real smart move. But I don't recall a EV - only a monitor which can be a drawback in bright sunlight.

I wont be surprised if Nikon too ups the game in the 2nd generation Nikon 1 cameras. That's the good thing about mirrorless - exciting because the format is evolving so fast while the downside is loss of value over a short period of time. DSLRs are comparatively stodgy and revolutionary changes are few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aren't these like budget lenses? I am not familiar with Nikon lenses, but their zoom range alone is making me suspicious. Good lenses rarely have more than 5X zoom range.
I wont call them budget as the 18-200 is nearly Rs 54K (USD 850 MSRP in the US), and the 18-300 will be more expensive (USD 1000 MSRP) in the US. Their IQ is acceptable in line with the convenience ie zoom range they offer

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd July 2012 at 21:17.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:19   #10164
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aren't these like budget lenses? I am not familiar with Nikon lenses, but their zoom range alone is making me suspicious. Good lenses rarely have more than 5X zoom range.
Even, I am not that familiar Samurai. What ever I have told is based on the reading I did and the talk I had with my friends who own Nikon.

18-200 is one popular lens from Nikon which may cost around $760.
Nikon 18-200mm VR II

18-300 is a new release from Nikon which costs upwards of $1000.

I may mostly end up with getting the 18-200 VR II.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:26   #10165
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I wont be surprised if Nikon too ups the game in the 2nd generation Nikon 1 cameras.
That will really piss off people who invested in the 1st gen Nikon cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's the good thing about mirrorless - exciting because the format is evolving so fast while the downside is loss of value over a short period of time. DSLRs are comparatively stodgy and revolutionary changes are few and far between.
That is why I am just sitting back and watching the scene. If Canon comes out with a fast EOS M zoom starting at 15mm by next year, I might switch over to EOS M family. As much as I love my Olympus Camera/lens collection, I am getting really tired of not being able to sell any of my old gear.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:27   #10166
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,351
Thanked: 8,168 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
18-300 is a new release from Nikon which costs upwards of $1000.

I may mostly end up with getting the 18-200 VR II.
I would say do check it out.
Just to compare by price Canon has a 18-200 IS (f3.5 - 5.6) which costs <600$. (in Amazon)
At least going by the price, the Nikon has to offer something much better.

But Nikon specs are also the same (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II )
But that costs 850$ ! Dont know why the price difference?

Amazon.com: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:38   #10167
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I wont call them budget as the 18-200 is nearly Rs 54K (USD 850 MSRP in the US)
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 is effectively 27-300mm lens. That is F/5.6 at 300mm.

My Olympus Zuiko 50-200 F/2.8-3.5 cost me only $800. The effective EFL is 100-400mm. This one offers F/3.5 at 400mm, and one of the best lenses I own. This is why I ended up in Olympus family. But the same economy is not working out in micro 4/3.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:39   #10168
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say do check it out.
Just to compare by price Canon has a 18-200 IS (f3.5 - 5.6) which costs <600$. (in Amazon)
At least going by the price, the Nikon has to offer something much better.

But Nikon specs are also the same (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II )
But that costs 850$ ! Dont know why the price difference?

Amazon.com: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
As per bhphotovideo.com, 18-200 costs $846.
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens 2192

18-300 VR is quoted at $999.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor DX 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens 2196 B&H
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:47   #10169
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That will really piss off people who invested in the 1st gen Nikon cameras.
Very true!

However, I think if one buys a mirrorless they need to factor in relatively quick obsolescence and a correspondingly quick drop in resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say do check it out.
Just to compare by price Canon has a 18-200 IS (f3.5 - 5.6) which costs <600$. (in Amazon) At least going by the price, the Nikon has to offer something much better.

But Nikon specs are also the same (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II )
But that costs 850$ ! Dont know why the price difference?
That's because the Canon was introduced in 2008 and a refresh should be on its way. It will be more expensive.

For e.g. the new Canon 24-70 USM II is 44% more expensive @ USD 2299 than its predecessor @ USD 1599.

While Nikon introduced the 1st version of the 18-200 in 2005 and followed up with a revised version of the 18-200, with VR II, in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
18-300 is a new release from Nikon which costs upwards of $1000. I may mostly end up with getting the 18-200 VR II.
The 18-200 is a good walk-about lens and you should go in for that if you are not too fussy about IQ in the extremes of zoom ranges.

BTW the 18-300 is listed at INR 72950 in India v/s USD 1000 in the USA. If you can get it from the US it will be great as Nikon offers international warranties on lens and accessories (local on camera body).

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd July 2012 at 21:52. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:47   #10170
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,351
Thanked: 8,168 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
As per bhphotovideo.com, 18-200 costs $846.
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens 2192
I don't know about 18 300. My comparisons were for 18-200 Canon versus Nikon where the specs are same. But Canon costs about 579 to Nikon's 846.


What I would suggest is start with the humble 18 55 and the 50mm prime.
Play with them for some time before you decide what you actually like to shoot. (Landscapes/Portraits/Wild Life etc)

One lens covering all the range may not be a good idea.



Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's because the Canon was introduced in 2008 and a refresh should be on its way. It will be more expensive.
For e.g. the new Canon 24-70 USM II is 44% more expensive @ USD 2299 than its predecessor @ USD 1599.
While Nikon introduced the 1st version of the 18-200 in 2005 and followed up with a revised version of the 18-200, with VR II, in 2009

The 18-200 is a good walk-about lens and you should go in for that if you are not too fussy about IQ in the extremes of zoom ranges.

BTW the 18-300 is listed at INR 72950 in India v/s the USD 1000 in the USA. If you can get it from the US it will be great as
Nikon offers international warranties on lens and accessories (local on camera body).
Thanks for that R2D2. If the specs and optical quality are similar, that makes the Canon 18 200 VFM compared to Nikon
(Of Course one needs a Canon body).

When I started even I was in the same dilemma whether to go for all purpose zoom. But some how decided other wise.
However I did not repent. I saved and later got a 70-200 F4 IS L and a 10-22 based on my need.

After getting these guys I am sure if I had got a 55-250 at the start, I would not have use it at all.
Thats why I was telling Ramesh not get carried away by the zoom but start with the basics and then build up a lens collection
based on need and style.

Though I don't know about 18 300.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2012 at 21:55.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks