Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:07   #10291
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Even after changing the settings I couldn't catch up to the speed of the Sports mode.

I changed the settings to Manual mode (F3.5, 1/4000), ISO 800/1600/3200, Center weighted metering, Manual Focus. I have attached the EXIF details of both the modes. One thing I see is the Pattern metering in Sports mode, is it because of this ?

Attachment 964583
Interesting....all things seem good. The only difference is Exposure bias...Metering should not make much difference

There is one thing I cannot clearly see - Exposure program for Sport says - biased towards???? can you tell me what exactly is that since Thats what making the difference,

You may wanna try this free utility for exif: PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:22   #10292
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Even after changing the settings I couldn't catch up to the speed of the Sports mode.

I changed the settings to Manual mode (F3.5, 1/4000), ISO 800/1600/3200, Center weighted metering, Manual Focus. I have attached the EXIF details of both the modes. One thing I see is the Pattern metering in Sports mode, is it because of this ?
Attachment 964583
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Interesting....all things seem good. The only difference is Exposure bias...Metering should not make much difference
Or it could be because in sports mode, the camera won't be having focus priority from the second picture onwards in the continuous shooting mode? With focus priority, camera will refuse to take the picture until it acquires focus everytime.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd August 2012 at 10:24.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:26   #10293
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

How does focus priority come into picture!! He is using Manual focus
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:33   #10294
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Or it could be because in sports mode, the camera won't be having focus priority from the second picture onwards in the continuous shooting mode? With focus priority, camera will refuse to take the picture until it acquires focus everytime.
Instead of manual focus, I also tried Auto focus and set it to One shot focus, so that only the first shot is focused, subsequent are not. Even that didn't work out.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:52   #10295
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,952
Thanked: 15,633 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Instead of manual focus, I also tried Auto focus and set it to One shot focus, so that only the first shot is focused, subsequent are not. Even that didn't work out.
Actually it depends on firmware implementation.
In some cameras, in burst mode, the camera will shoot has fast as possible depending upon file size, buffer size etc.,
However, many entry-mid level cams have the highest speed burst enabled only when you have "sports mode" enabled.
Otherwise, you get the regular continuous speed.


For example, if you camera has 7fps for 20 shots, and 3fps sustained, you will get 3fps in all modes, only a special mode will allow you to get burst.

High end cams do not have this restriction.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 19:50   #10296
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

This is not "Digital" but still could not resist posting it.
A Film SLR is available on Flipkart for 5k.
Would have had taken it if not for the lens.
They are not giving that 50mm 1.7 lens.

Vivitar V3800N SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

Last edited by download2live : 5th August 2012 at 19:54.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:34   #10297
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live
This is not "Digital" but still could not resist posting it.
A Film SLR is available on Flipkart for 5k.
Would have had taken it if not for the lens.
They are not giving that 50mm 1.7 lens.

Vivitar V3800N SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com
Is this a second hand one? Or are these in production at such cheap prices? Earlier in the thread i mentioned about my Yashica FX3 Super. Luckily i now found an online guide to maintain it as somebody else has the same camera.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:38   #10298
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This is not "Digital" but still could not resist posting it.
A Film SLR is available on Flipkart for 5k.
Would have had taken it if not for the lens.
They are not giving that 50mm 1.7 lens.

Vivitar V3800N SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

nice...my neighbour had this in his shop in as good as new condition with a regular zoom lens...never cared to ask the price but maybe about 3-4K...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 22:02   #10299
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Is this a second hand one? Or are these in production at such cheap prices? Earlier in the thread i mentioned about my Yashica FX3 Super. Luckily i now found an online guide to maintain it as somebody else has the same camera.
Please note: All products sold on Flipkart are brand new and 100% genuine

That is what they have written on the page.

Yes these camera are still in production. But the bulk buyers are the photography schools. These are used by the beginners to learn the basics of Photography. These cameras are also known as "Student Cameras".

Might sound weird to people who consider "iA" mode as birthright.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 18:35   #10300
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Today I got the Macro lens Raynox DCR 150, actually I ordered 150 instead of 250, which I came to know very late. When I used it's pretty good and DOF is very good. Still not sure how to use this to capture very small objects. Any special technique should be used ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have one more technique in my camera to get noise free low light images in high ISOs & faster shutter speeds without a tripod, that is the multi-shot NR. Works very well.

An ISO3200 handheld shot @1/15s (x6) in a room with very low lighting through a window, no post processing
Attachment 962972



Some DSLRs have a panorama mode, mine does. You just need to sweep while holding the shutter - it takes pictures in a burst and makes an in camera Panorama.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 20:46   #10301
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I got the Macro lens Raynox DCR 150, actually I ordered 150 instead of 250, which I came to know very late. When I used it's pretty good and DOF is very good. Still not sure how to use this to capture very small objects. Any special technique should be used ?
150 offers less magnification than 250 but will be easier to operate with, as far as DOF is concerned. If you use it with a 70-200 lens, it will be a good one to capture small objects. With kit lens, you won't get that much magnification. You can also use it with a 50mm lens.

These are taken with my 50mm lens + DCR250 just now. Picture is of a pipe wrench, hope it gives an idea about the magnification with a 50mm.

The DSLR Thread-_dsc7316.jpg

The DSLR Thread-_dsc7322.jpg

And this is with kit lens (18-55), picture of the buttons in a scientific calculator. This is taken at 55mm.

The DSLR Thread-dsc07201stacked.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 6th August 2012 at 20:51.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 21:13   #10302
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 1,100 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Sigh...here we go again. Nikon has raised the prices of some of its lenses about 7-9%. Thanks to the depreciating INR and Nikon India's interest in maintaining its margins.

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th August 2012 at 21:17.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 21:26   #10303
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks for your suggestion. I have a 55-250 mm lens, will try using it and see how it comes with the DCR 150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
150 offers less magnification than 250 but will be easier to operate with, as far as DOF is concerned. If you use it with a 70-200 lens, it will be a good one to capture small objects. With kit lens, you won't get that much magnification. You can also use it with a 50mm lens.

These are taken with my 50mm lens + DCR250 just now. Picture is of a pipe wrench, hope it gives an idea about the magnification with a 50mm.

Attachment 966310

Attachment 966311

And this is with kit lens (18-55), picture of the buttons in a scientific calculator. This is taken at 55mm.

Attachment 966314
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 11:46   #10304
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Tried this setup by connecting the SLR to the laptop and enabling live view in the laptop, so that all the settings including focus (except zoom) can be controlled from the laptop. Should be good for static objects.

The DSLR Thread-canoneosutility.jpg

The DSLR Thread-liveviewcomputer.jpg

The DSLR Thread-leaves1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-whiteflower1.jpg
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 12:35   #10305
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This is not "Digital" but still could not resist posting it.
A Film SLR is available on Flipkart for 5k.
Would have had taken it if not for the lens.
They are not giving that 50mm 1.7 lens.

Vivitar V3800N SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com
I would have ordered it already if it was available with the 50mm. Still, its a cheap way to enter the K-mount world.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks