Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:54   #10411
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi guys,

Taking delivery of the Nikon D5100 with kit lens + 50mm f/1.8D prime lens tomorrow. The solid 10,000/- savings over a Canon 600D made the decision very simple. Ordered it online from gizmo.bz for 34.8k (for the body+ kit lens), and have been entirely satisfied with their responsiveness.

Unrelated to that, I see there's a lot of uncertainty about whether the Canon 600D has an in-built AF motor or not, on the web. It's amusing to see a generous number of people saying it has while others swear that it doesn't. Could anyone here please give a 100% sure answer to this question?
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:01   #10412
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 720
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Hi guys,

Taking delivery of the Nikon D5100 with kit lens + 50mm f/1.8D prime lens tomorrow. The solid 10,000/- savings over a Canon 600D made the decision very simple. Ordered it online from gizmo.bz for 34.8k (for the body+ kit lens), and have been entirely satisfied with their responsiveness.
I hope you know that the 50mm f/1.8D will not auto-focus on the D5100 body. You need the 1.8G lens for AF with D3x00 or D5x00 bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Unrelated to that, I see there's a lot of uncertainty about whether the Canon 600D has an in-built AF motor or not, on the web. It's amusing to see a generous number of people saying it has while others swear that it doesn't. Could anyone here please give a 100% sure answer to this question?
No, Canon bodies do not have AF motors per se. Canon right from the start when switching lens mount to EF-mount, decided to implement AF as in-lens motors while Nikon chose to retain the AF motor in the body initially, slowly switching to in-lens motors over time. For the D3x00 and D5x00 , you need to use AF-S lenses for autofocus, some AF-I lenses will work too.


Meanwhile, here's a Canon 1DX review :
http://www.fredmiranda.com/1dx-review/
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:04   #10413
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I hope you know that the 50mm f/1.8D will not auto-focus on the D5100 body. You need the 1.8G lens for AF with D3x00 or D5x00 bodies.
Yes, I'm aware that I will have to use manual focusing. For starters, that should hopefully not be a big deal. Let me get old-school for a while and buy an entry-level tripod with the savings. In the back of my head, I am slowly nurturing the thought of buying a 35 mm 1.8G AF-S though that's mainly for the larger field of view I think I will want. I intend to make any future purchase only after spending a reasonably good amount of time on the field photographing, and for photography-sake, not merely for equipment-sake. Let me see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
No, Canon bodies do not have AF motors per se. Canon right from the start when switching lens mount to EF-mount, decided to implement AF as in-lens motors while Nikon chose to retain the AF motor in the body initially, slowly switching to in-lens motors over time. For the D3x00 and D5x00 , you need to use AF-S lenses for autofocus, some AF-I lenses will work too.
Thank you, that confirms my conclusion.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:18   #10414
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
My guess is D400 will be closer to the D7000 current price and should be around $1250 (70K Inr) while the D600 should be in the range of $1800 (1L). At these prices they will both be good successes and will give the competition a run for their money! I have myself been aspiring to upgrade from my D90 to the D800, but can't seem to convince myself for the 1.6L price of the D800 (body only!).
I am also awaiting eagerly the D400 and D600 and hopefully some clarity should happen on the Sep 13th.
Same here. Want to upgrade to a D400. If that doesn't come out, then the D800 or perhaps the eventual D7000 successor.

The D90 is serving me well, but I could do with better DR and high ISO performance. As well as with some more megapixels for cropping.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:22   #10415
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,320
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Meanwhile, I have a sincere suggestion to first dSLR buyers. Please checkout the mirrorless/EVIL options first before hanging your hat on the dSLR stand. I am desperately trying to get out of the dSLR gig onto mirrorless/EVILworld for the sake of convenience and practicality.
+1.

If I were to buy my digital cameras today, I would not go for a DSLR. Heck, I do much more shooting with my mob ph than my SLR's.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:30   #10416
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1.

If I were to buy my digital cameras today, I would not go for a DSLR. Heck, I do much more shooting with my mob ph than my SLR's.
And why is that? Does it have to do with anything other than the inconvenience of having to lug around the weight and volume of an SLR, and of course, maybe having to change your lens (which you wouldn't when using super zoom point-and-shoots and bridge cameras)?
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:11   #10417
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,320
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

my SE C905 is far more handy than my Nikon's. Doesnt attract attention either.
But I havent said that the C905 replaces the Nikon in those situations.

But I'd still rather have a more compact, handy camera than a DSLR.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:41   #10418
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Any knows quirks / problems on nissin 622 mk2? Any other options in about the same price range?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 00:09   #10419
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
And why is that?
iPhone 4S camera is really giving a run to camera makers. Point and shoot are simply slaughtered in terms of image quality+convenience of carrying it everywhere. DSLR might be safe now but the boat is getting rocked.
Check out the pics this guy have taken with iPhone 4S. Please ignore the fact that he is an iPhone fanatic and has a fetish for white things.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2011...iphone-4s.html
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:48   #10420
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
iPhone 4S camera is really giving a run to camera makers. Point and shoot are simply slaughtered in terms of image quality+convenience of carrying it everywhere. DSLR might be safe now but the boat is getting rocked.
Check out the pics this guy have taken with iPhone 4S. Please ignore the fact that he is an iPhone fanatic and has a fetish for white things.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2011...iphone-4s.html
well these cameraphones and other point and shoot types are OK from convenience perspective but if you want to learn finer nuances of photography and want more control on your camera then you have to go the DSLR way. Most of these camera phones (including iphone 4S) and point n shoots suffer badly (and become very slow) in dimly lit situations. These are pretty good in good lighting situations though.

I have a good camera phone and also a very good point and shoot (Panasonic Lumix TZ15) but now I want to learn more about photography. With these two cameras its always just focus and press the shutter. But I guess theres more to photography than just that. A DSLR should be a good tool to learn little bit more.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:25   #10421
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
iPhone 4S camera is really giving a run to camera makers. Point and shoot are simply slaughtered in terms of image quality+convenience of carrying it everywhere. DSLR might be safe now but the boat is getting rocked.
Check out the pics this guy have taken with iPhone 4S. Please ignore the fact that he is an iPhone fanatic and has a fetish for white things.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2011...iphone-4s.html
You DO realize that those pix look good because of the way they have been composed. It's got nothing to do with whether they were shot by a iPhone or Kabonn/Lava or a Hasselblad.

And against the convenience of the Mobile phone cameras - what about the dust that finds its way inside the cam? What happens after 1 year of carrying the phone in your pocket?

Point and shoot are still much better than iPhone in terms of zoom, shallower depth of field, dust factor, price!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:57   #10422
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
but if you want to learn finer nuances of photography and want more control on your camera then you have to go the DSLR way.
No really, even EVIL cameras can do equal justice for a learner or amateur photographer.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:09   #10423
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No really, even EVIL cameras can do equal justice for a learner or amateur photographer.
What do you mean when you say EVIL camera? Is it like the Sony NEX-7? That is very expensive and not yet available in India. I didnt like the NEX-3/5 though. For starters, they didnt have a viewfinder.

Any recommendations among the EVIL lot? Budget is anything upto 75k but idea is not to just buy an entry level model but a more serious and feature rich camera.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:27   #10424
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You DO realize that those pix look good because of the way they have been composed. It's got nothing to do with whether they were shot by a iPhone or Kabonn/Lava or a Hasselblad.

And against the convenience of the Mobile phone cameras - what about the dust that finds its way inside the cam? What happens after 1 year of carrying the phone in your pocket?

Point and shoot are still much better than iPhone in terms of zoom, shallower depth of field, dust factor, price!
The photographs look good mostly because of the light. Composition makes a difference, but without good light, you can't do much. Check these:

http://fstoppers.com/iphone

http://www.slrlounge.com/the-iphone-...-by-slr-lounge

Of course, a lot was involved in terms of lighting, make-up, hair, post processing etc. But, with the right light, camera almost doesn't matter. I am not saying iPhone is the best camera out there, but it can't be beat for convenience.

Kaushik (kaushik_s here), I and couple of other friends went to Hassan last month to shoot at the famous church. When we got there, it was raining, so we couldn't get our cameras out. But, I thought let me give my Galaxy S and camera 360 a try and see what comes out. And, needless to say, I am very very happy with what I got (that's Kaushik in the frame, btw):

The DSLR Thread-581011_10151989810020524_1224927042_n.jpg

Most of us are chasing gear, but I think we need to chase the right light . I prefer mobile phones over P&S cameras, because you have always have it on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What do you mean when you say EVIL camera? Is it like the Sony NEX-7? That is very expensive and not yet available in India. I didnt like the NEX-3/5 though. For starters, they didnt have a viewfinder.

Any recommendations among the EVIL lot? Budget is anything upto 75k but idea is not to just buy an entry level model but a more serious and feature rich camera.
Nex-7 is available in India and I know someone who is selling for 45k over at JJMPF. A new OM-D with kit lens is available for around 75k here in Bangalore. And feature wise, it is packed with so many of them, that you'll be stunned. Do check both out.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:12   #10425
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
The photographs look good mostly because of the light. Composition makes a difference, but without good light, you can't do much.
Yes of course!
Its the light that we set out capture in our cameras!!!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks