Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 17:29   #10456
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why on earth you are not using the camera? In the digital world, UV filters doesn't serve any purpose other than protecting the lens. Most people believe that cheap UV filters do more harm to the picture quality than any good.
If you can be a bit careful, you can get by without any filter. Or just buy a cheap one and remove it when taking shots.

PS: I personally haven't felt any difference in picture quality with or without my cheap UV filter and leave it on most of the time.
Thanks to you and clevermax for the advice. I guess I'd get started without any filter at least within my home and get a cheap UV filter when taking it outdoor or on trips.

I think I got a little too finicky here.

Last edited by fine69 : 9th September 2012 at 17:32.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 18:34   #10457
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 618 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69
Thanks to you and clevermax for the advice. I guess I'd get started without any filter at least within my home and get a cheap UV filter when taking it outdoor or on trips.

I think I got a little too finicky here.
I am not an expert here but i don't think uv filters serve any special purpose for which you are not taking outside.

Any specific fear you have? Just curious. Keep the lens hood on when not in use.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 18:44   #10458
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am not an expert here but i don't think uv filters serve any special purpose for which you are not taking outside.

Any specific fear you have? Just curious. Keep the lens hood on when not in use.
Fear of accumulating dust / other particles and scratching the lens by cleaning it too often.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 20:01   #10459
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 618 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Fear of accumulating dust / other particles and scratching the lens by cleaning it too often.
True, even i have same fear. but then have the hood covered except when you are shooting, that should keep it clean.

Off late, UV filters are only being used for this purpose

I use a blower to remove dust(after i come back from trip) and you dont need to clean it so often unless you are working in dusty environment continuously.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 21:48   #10460
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Cheap DRY Box for Hobbyists

I have found a cheap solution to keep my lenses off that heavy humidity of Kerala weather. Just bought two airtight containers (yes, they are really airtight with rubberized washers on the edges and a latching mechanism to keep the lid really tight)

The idea is to simple keep your lenses (1 per container for long lenses or two per container for shorter lenses) with dry silica gel packs. Let the pictures explain more:

The DSLR Thread-dsc08387.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc08385.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc08389.jpg

I still have to buy silica gel sacks but managed to close the lids in dry air - just took them to my car, ran the AC for some time, put the lenses in and closed them inside the car.

Total cost of the setup - 240x2 = 480Rs.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th September 2012 at 21:50.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:17   #10461
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Sony Engineers might have been smoking something exotic when they decided to design this one:

Sony RX1 - Full frame fixed lens camera, cost is rumored to be around 2800/- USD!

One more shocker - which is the fixed lens? Zeiss 35mm f/2!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/amazi...-new-a99-pics/

These are rumors, but let's wait and see what Sony have in store.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th September 2012 at 10:29.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:58   #10462
BHPian
 
CLIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have found a cheap solution to keep my lenses off that heavy humidity of Kerala weather. Just bought two airtight containers (yes, they are really airtight with rubberized washers on the edges and a latching mechanism to keep the lid really tight)

...........

....ran the AC for some time, put the lenses in and closed them inside the car.

Total cost of the setup - 240x2 = 480Rs.
Very innovative
Further it lets in light too - darkness too has an accelerating effect on fungus growth I am told...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Sony Engineers might have been smoking something exotic when they decided to design this one:

Sony RX1 - Full frame fixed lens camera, cost is rumored to be around 2800/- USD!

One more shocker - which is the fixed lens? Zeiss 35mm f/2!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/amazi...-new-a99-pics/

These are rumors, but let's wait and see what Sony have in store.
This should be majorly interesting!!
CLIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 11:52   #10463
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Sony Engineers might have been smoking something exotic when they decided to design this one:

Sony RX1 - Full frame fixed lens camera, cost is rumored to be around 2800/- USD!

One more shocker - which is the fixed lens? Zeiss 35mm f/2!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/amazi...-new-a99-pics/

These are rumors, but let's wait and see what Sony have in store.
That news made my day!! FF with Zeiss 35mm, a street photographer's dream. Man, I should admit that Sony has a winner on their hands with this one.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 12:10   #10464
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
That news made my day!! FF with Zeiss 35mm, a street photographer's dream. Man, I should admit that Sony has a winner on their hands with this one.
The optics will be super. But what about the price? I can buy an A99 with that price If the rumored prices doesn't change much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Very innovative
Further it lets in light too - darkness too has an accelerating effect on fungus growth I am told...
This should be majorly interesting!!
Thanks. Yes, it lets in light. But I realize that I need to keep them horizontal now with the lens caps and aperture open, for letting light into the lens..

Last edited by clevermax : 10th September 2012 at 12:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 12:12   #10465
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The optics will be super. But what about the price? I can buy an A99 with that price If the rumored prices doesn't change much.
You can but will it be pocketable? . I think this one's aimed at the street photographers who want a FF with an awesome lens and still remain fairly inconspicuous with their gear. I have always thought the X100 or the Leica X2 or the Sigma DP1M/DP2M were/are/will be awesome cameras. But, this one seems to trump them all. Trust me, this one will sell very well in the US/UK. I doubt anyone will even stock this on here in India .
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 17:39   #10466
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NO ID(e)A
Posts: 60
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Whatever you do or decide, do not get rid of the 80~200 f/2.8. It is an extra-ordinary piece of glass.
No plans to get rid of the 80-200 at all, GD sir.

Actually, I was trying to get a comparison of the image quality from a D90 + say Sigma 150-500 .vs. Nikon 1v1 + JT1 adapter + Nikon 70-300 AFS VR combo. My gut feeling is that the 1v1 combo will offer equal if not better image quality than the D90 combo with a Sigma 150-500 (inspite of 1" sensor size of 1v1). What I have seen on the web with the 1v1 combo is pretty confidence inspiring, but one needs to try out themselves to be sure. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my circle who owns the Sigma or a Nikon 1 V1 or J1.

Right now I think I am going to wait and watch.
chaudhrysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 09:54   #10467
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 807 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Ok. Let me come back to Nikon .
Any news on the D600? Will it be announced before the Photokina?

Name:  NikonD600font.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  135.5 KB
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:16   #10468
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 619
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The optics will be super. But what about the price? I can buy an A99 with that price If the rumored prices doesn't change much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
You can but will it be pocketable? . I think this one's aimed at the street photographers who want a FF with an awesome lens and still remain fairly inconspicuous with their gear. I have always thought the X100 or the Leica X2 or the Sigma DP1M/DP2M were/are/will be awesome cameras. But, this one seems to trump them all. Trust me, this one will sell very well in the US/UK. I doubt anyone will even stock this on here in India .
Is this fixed lens on RX1 share the optics with Zeiss Distagon 35mm F2? If yes then the lens itself costs a bomb. Its more than USD 1k last time I checked on B&H.
So its a FF with one of the best Zeiss lenses and AF to top it all.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:19   #10469
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Is this fixed lens on RX1 share the optics with Zeiss Distagon 35mm F2? If yes then the lens itself costs a bomb. Its more than USD 1k last time I checked on B&H.
So its a FF with one of the best Zeiss lenses and AF to top it all.
Yes it should be the same lens. AF can be phase detection on the sensor itself, just like the newer NEX models.

As HW said, it won't see daylight in India but it seems there are people who are longing to buy such cameras elsewhere, like in the US!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:55   #10470
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Is this fixed lens on RX1 share the optics with Zeiss Distagon 35mm F2? If yes then the lens itself costs a bomb. Its more than USD 1k last time I checked on B&H.
So its a FF with one of the best Zeiss lenses and AF to top it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes it should be the same lens. AF can be phase detection on the sensor itself, just like the newer NEX models.
Not sure if it's a distagon. AFAIK, the distagon lenses are pretty huge. This might be similar to the ZM biogon made for Leica mount. That lens is pretty small and this one could be similar. I got my hands on a Planar 35mm f2 last weekend and man what a lens, love the rendering.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks