Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 13:26   #10636
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
We should be very cautious when making a high value purchase through Ebay. I would prefer not to buy anything from Ebay which costs more than Rs. 5k. There are very high chance that you will get the refurbished piece instead of a brand new one. Even if it is couple of k's more get the cameras from the local dealer or through Flipkart.
I completely disagree. If you know what you're doing and understand how ebay works you can get some amazing deals. In the last six months I've bought a D90 and a BlackBerry Bold from ebay with no issues. I've got some of my best deals on used equipment on ebay, including an 80-200/2.8 and most recently a 50/1.4, both in pristine condition and at stunning prices. Your statement is so wrong and misleading that I couldn't help myself responding to it.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 17:25   #10637
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Nikon D7000 with kit lens was available under homeshop18 superdeals for 62k! Missed it
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 19:11   #10638
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I completely disagree. If you know what you're doing and understand how ebay works you can get some amazing deals. In the last six months I've bought a D90 and a BlackBerry Bold from ebay with no issues. I've got some of my best deals on used equipment on ebay, including an 80-200/2.8 and most recently a 50/1.4, both in pristine condition and at stunning prices. Your statement is so wrong and misleading that I couldn't help myself responding to it.
Different people have different experiences. For me, I would not prefer Ebay for high value purchases after my bad experience while getting Samsung Galaxy S2. Neither seller nor Ebay solved that amicably. As long everything goes smooth, it will work great. If you have a dispute, there comes the issue.

Best of luck for your purchases.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 00:13   #10639
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Different people have different experiences. For me, I would not prefer Ebay for high value purchases after my bad experience while getting Samsung Galaxy S2. Neither seller nor Ebay solved that amicably. As long everything goes smooth, it will work great. If you have a dispute, there comes the issue.

Best of luck for your purchases.
Ebay is a platform for buyers and sellers and you will always find those who misuse it. I have had a number of disputes both as a buyer and seller - all were resolved to my satisfaction. I know the rules and my rights and I have never lost money. I never buy from anyone with a feedback score less than 99%, I clarify all doubts by asking questions so that if anything goes wrong I have proof and I pay by the option that offers greatest buyer protection (full refund) - paisapay/PayPal. It's not about luck, it's about the method.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 13:44   #10640
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Here's an interesting article at Mansurovs, something that we've been discussing on and off here at TBHP.

http://photographylife.com/why-dx-has-no-future

The Nikon V2 is expected in Nov '12.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 00:23   #10641
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

The article talks about mirrorless cameras running over crop sensor DSLRs. I have no doubt in my mind that such a phenomenon will take its own sweet time. Even if technology and its swift movements take us by surprise with their speed in terms of churning out mirrorless cameras at the same price point as entry level DSLRs along with an equally effective range of lenses at equally reachable prices, I figure there will always be this large market that will have a psychological fetish for a DSLR for its looks and professional-like feel that it offers.

In the event that mirrorless cameras become the rage (they will appeal to a very large market of folks who value compactness, lightness, practicality and a different kind of 'style'), entry level DSLR sales may slow down but there's no doubt that it will still be running strong.

Consider having to adopt the great ergonomics, speed, high speed shutter capability, weatherproofing, etc. of a mid-level DSLR like a D7000 into an all new product built into different dimensions and from different materials. Not easy at all, I'd think. I'm guessing that there's still a long way to go for them to really hold a candle to a proper DSLR while also retaining their USP of low weight and compactness (I might be wrong - I have no experience with mirrorless cameras at all!)

As for holding back from investing on crop-sensor compatible lenses, perhaps it's always crystal ball gazing for most of us. Will I eventually move to mirrorless or full frame? I don't know myself, and in either case, I will have rendered most of my DX lenses ineffective at best, unusable at worst. How can anyone tell at all?

Last edited by skandyhere : 8th October 2012 at 00:27.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 12:59   #10642
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Need some advice on a camera equipment that I am contemplating to buy in the next month or so. Budget is 30K and type of photography is landscape, close-up and general photography. What i am looking from the camera are rich and true colors, latest features ( dont know what they might be as i am little behind on latest camera information) and reasonable price.

Current Equipment which i bought 3+ years ago is as follows :-

Nikon D40x with 18mm-55mm stock lens. However, stock lens auto-focus has gone kaput due to camera getting drenched in rains once. So it now works only in manual focus which is a pain to use. Therefore, I stopped using the stock lens completely

Nikon D40x Body : Whenever I take some sky shots, there is some light patch at bottom right hand corner which is visible ONLY against light background. Will this problem go away if i get the body serviced?

Tamaron 70mm-300mm : This one is in good condition but, this lens is practically useless at night as it just cannot focus.

Need suggestion whether to buy another Nikon and use the Tamaron Telephoto lens OR sell the entire current equipment and build the equipment from the scratch?

If it's the latter, i dont mind buying the Camera first and build the lens in a few months down the line.

Also, what price can i expect if i am selling the entire equipment away?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 18:25   #10643
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Here's an interesting article at Mansurovs, something that we've been discussing on and off here at TBHP.

http://photographylife.com/why-dx-has-no-future

The Nikon V2 is expected in Nov '12.

Regards,
Does it mean that Sony nex 7 is a better buy than the Nikon D7000?
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 18:59   #10644
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Need suggestion whether to buy another Nikon and use the Tamaron Telephoto lens OR sell the entire current equipment and build the equipment from the scratch?

If it's the latter, i dont mind buying the Camera first and build the lens in a few months down the line.

Also, what price can i expect if i am selling the entire equipment away?
If I were you I'd get rid of the entire kit, especially the camera and the Tamron, and rebuild from scratch. The 18-55 is a pretty decent lens if you plan to stick to DX format bodies, especially the new gen D3200. Not sure what price you'd get for your current kit.

Are you considering mirrorless? Do check the link to the article that I posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Does it mean that Sony nex 7 is a better buy than the Nikon D7000?
These cameras are pretty well matched. According to the DXO site the NEX is very slightly ahead in the overall score (81 NEX 7 and 80 D7K). But the Nikon is a bit ahead in low light and DR.

Do keep in mind that you are buying into a system and the Sony cannot match Nikon's range of lenses, accessories & resale value. Also, IIRC Sony has stopped selling the NEX range in India. You could get it from abroad.

If you are considering mirrorless, take a look at the delectable Olympus OM-D and Panasonic range instead of Sony.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 19:07   #10645
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Friends

Is the D90 still a good buy? Can we recommend this camera to someone, who is moving into DSLR territory for the first time? Its a 4 year old camera (Launch date Aug 2008), but a very very capable one.

EDIT:
Sony's NEX-7 is expected to be launched on the occasion of Diwali or near by. I was at a Sony center this weekend and I asked him the same question. But, it could be in the range of 30-35k with the kit lens. And yes, Sony has not stopped NEX series in India.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 8th October 2012 at 19:20.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 19:17   #10646
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

These cameras are pretty well matched. According to the DXO site the NEX is very slightly ahead in the overall score (81 NEX 7 and 80 D7K). But the Nikon is a bit ahead in low light and DR.

Do keep in mind that you are buying into a system and the Sony cannot match Nikon's range of lenses, accessories & resale value. Also, IIRC Sony has stopped selling the NEX range in India. You could get it from abroad.

If you are considering mirrorless, take a look at the delectable Olympus OM-D and Panasonic range instead of Sony.
But that articles says precisely that. Companies will support EVIL cameras more than the DX SLRs. which means that in time the same kind of equipment should be available for them also. Also it can mean crash in DX SLRs while EVIL might pick up. Also various experts like Nasim (Mansurov), Thom Hagen etc maintain that there are very very few capable lenses for DX cameras. The 35mm is one. But nobody is happy with zooms (This talking about Nikon world. Am not very sure about Canons). Very fast (f2.8) superzooms for DX are not available at all.

Its an interesting dilemma for me now really! I liked the D7000 but if 3-4 years down the line the DX line is extinct (or not supported anymore by Nikon) than obviously its value (alongwith its lenses etc) will be very less. So if mirrorless picks up then actually the Sony NEX-7 might make more sense. Is there any Panasonic I should look at that can compete with the NEX-7. With the NEX-7 still I can buy a 35mm prime and it can make for a very useful camera isint it? Thats why the Question was - Is NEX-7 a better "buy" than D7000. I know it is not a better "camera" than the D7000 (esp in low light photography)

And no, Sony has not stopped selling NEX in India. It is very much available though I have not seen the NEX-7. I think it is not yet introduced here in India. maybe our sony expert clevermax might know more about it.

Last edited by joslicx : 8th October 2012 at 19:20.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 19:46   #10647
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Friends

Is the D90 still a good buy? Can we recommend this camera to someone, who is moving into DSLR territory for the first time? Its a 4 year old camera (Launch date Aug 2008), but a very very capable one.

EDIT:
Sony's NEX-7 is expected to be launched on the occasion of Diwali or near by. I was at a Sony center this weekend and I asked him the same question. But, it could be in the range of 30-35k with the kit lens. And yes, Sony has not stopped NEX series in India.
I'd suggest your pal go in for the D3200 and drop the D90. As capable as it may be, the D90 is outpaced in almost every way by the D3200, with the possible exception of build.

Good to know about Sony continuing to sell ithe NEX series here, they probably had a change of heart. I now recall a dealer telling me back in Apr/May that the NEX series was discontinued and all NEX cameras sold the (3 and 5) were from old stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
But that articles says precisely that. Companies will support EVIL cameras more than the DX SLRs. which means that in time the same kind of equipment should be available for them also. Also it can mean crash in DX SLRs while EVIL might pick up. Also various experts like Nasim (Mansurov), Thom Hagen etc maintain that there are very very few capable lenses for DX cameras. The 35mm is one. But nobody is happy with zooms (This talking about Nikon world. Am not very sure about Canons). Very fast (f2.8) superzooms for DX are not available at all.

Its an interesting dilemma for me now really! I liked the D7000 but if 3-4 years down the line the DX line is extinct (or not supported anymore by Nikon) than obviously its value (alongwith its lenses etc) will be very less. So if mirrorless picks up then actually the Sony NEX-7 might make more sense. Is there any Panasonic I should look at that can compete with the NEX-7. With the NEX-7 still I can buy a 35mm prime and it can make for a very useful camera isint it? Thats why the Question was - Is NEX-7 a better "buy" than D7000. I know it is not a better "camera" than the D7000 (esp in low light photography)

And no, Sony has not stopped selling NEX in India. It is very much available though I have not seen the NEX-7. I think it is not yet introduced here in India. maybe our sony expert clevermax might know more about it.
Ok, here's the thing about mirrorless, they are fast evolving cameras in terms of technology and capabilities. This results in obsolesence at a far higher frequency compared with DSLRs that are far more 'mature'.

I am in over my head in my commitment to the Nikon system in form of camera bodies and lenses and other accessories and have no intentions of changing as of now.

That said, I am really not convinced, have been so for many months now, that Nikon is interested in developing its DX range further. Lack of new lenses and new bodies (only D3200 in 2012, after the D7000 in 2010) are an indirect pointer to the focus on FX and/or the DX line being crippled or even killed..forcing users to sell of their DX bodies and upgrade to FX.

The D400 if ever released in late 2012 or early 2013, would provide some hope.

I strongly believe this strategy of crippling DX will backfire, DX being Nikon's largest selling range. An upgrade to FX bodies and lenses is too expensive for a great majority of Nikon users. What would work IMHO is an APS-C sensor in a mirrorless body.

A mirrorless like the Oly OM-D would be a good walk around instead of large and heavy DSLRs, and a highly capable one at that. I am loathe to start feeding a new camera system instead of Nikon, but the Nikon V1 and J1 left much to be desired and I have not considered them at all after brief debate last year.

To be honest, I had enquired about a NEX camera (for my wife) as mentioned above and dropped the idea after I was told Sony India discontinued it. In the meantime the Oly OM-D came up and it is under serious consideration, though I hasten to add that I could also consider the Sony RX100

This article at Mansurovs only highlights the brief thoughts that I had about Nikon's DX range in a far more articulate manner.

I doubt DX will go for at least another 3-5 years. Would I buy a DX camera today? It is a tough decision and the answer is a may be. But in the end I'd rather save up some more and pop for a FX body.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:10   #10648
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suggest your pal go in for the D3200 and drop the D90. As capable as it may be, the D90 is outpaced in almost every way by the D3200, with the possible exception of build.
I agree that D3200 is a fresh camera in the market, but as far as I know, megapixels is the last thing you should chase for in a camera. Honestly, the 24 MP resolution on a crop sensor isn't really justified. Please correct me if i am wrong.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:34   #10649
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 407
Thanked: 142 Times
Thumbs up Re: The DSLR Thread

Ok folks,

I have finalised on the Nikon D5100 - and will be getting it by this weekend.
Now- I am interested in shooting - candid/street/portrait/low light(indoors) to begin with.

So I was wondering if I should :

1. Keep the Kit lens (18-55) AND get a 35mm (1.8) Nikon lens - @12K
Or
2. Swap the kit lens with the 35mm?
Or
3. Any other thing to do?

Camera (with kit lens) would cost me 30K - I find it ok to spend another 12K for lens ( as of now )
Is there any better lens - if I am definitely going to stick with street/candid/low light?

Thanks,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:42   #10650
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sony's NEX-7 is expected to be launched on the occasion of Diwali or near by. I was at a Sony center this weekend and I asked him the same question. But, it could be in the range of 30-35k with the kit lens. And yes, Sony has not stopped NEX series in India.
The NEX-7 costs about 1000+ USD for the body only. Are you sure of 30-35k price. How can they price it so cheap here in India? AFAIK it is around the same price point as the A77 (ok the prices are NEX-7 is $1200 while A77 is $1300 for body only checked on Amazon.) I was thinking around 60k for body only if it is launched in India, given that A77 body costs 69k here. 30-35k would be sweet price indeed and would make it a no brainer vis-a-vis the D7000.

Also D3200 is a very capable camera. It has the same sensor as the NEX7 or A77 and is very highly rated. Do have a look at it. I did try the D90 at one croma store and liked it a lot. It feels very solid in the hand (much better than D5100 in that aspect) and was joy to use. I'd say head on to a store and play with both. One good idea is to take a SD card, go to a store where you can spend some time with both, take some pics there with both, come back and have a look on your PC! Some work but will give you lot of answers.

@Ace

No other better/cheaper option than the 35mm for your particular usecase. That lens is a no brainer in any case and a DX must have.

Last edited by joslicx : 9th October 2012 at 10:45.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks