Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 12:32   #10846
BHPian
 
arun_kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderbad
Posts: 206
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, I need help. I have canon 550d and I use16 gb SD card . After taking pics for family occasion, I tried to load them in to my mac. But error is thrown saying card is not readable. Again I tried to check in my DSLR, same error is shown. Can anyone please help me out. How can i recover my photos from the card. If I format now all the pics will be gone. I want those pics badly.

Thanks in Advance,
Arun Kun
arun_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 12:39   #10847
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun
Guys, I need help. I have canon 550d and I use16 gb SD card . After taking pics for family occasion, I tried to load them in to my mac. But error is thrown saying card is not readable. Again I tried to check in my DSLR, same error is shown. Can anyone please help me out. How can i recover my photos from the card. If I format now all the pics will be gone. I want those pics badly.

Thanks in Advance,
Arun Kun
You might have already tried this. I suggest you clean the terminals of the SD card where contact is made. Not being able to read the card in two devices may mean the card is damaged or has dust/grime on the contact area. Hope it's the latter in your case.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 14:59   #10848
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Thanks.

BTW, where is the choice 5

Somehow I inclined to Option-4 becase...a deal on D300, 1-1/2 old with just 7k clicks for 40k incl (18-55 lens, battery charger, 16GB Sd card and a bag)
That is a good deal, considering all the kit but the body alone shouldn't be more than 25-30k. If you're spending 40k - then a new D90 kit should be in that range.

Two more points - I think what amitk26 is saying about the Nikon range of bodies is that the full functionality really starts (in the current line up) D90/D7000 onwards. Why? because they allow you to use all their AF lenses, including the older AF-D ones, with full functionality. And one gets some wonderful deals on that glass in the secondhand market. The D3100 and D5100 limit the user to the AF-S lenses, if you want full functionality (essentially AF).

The other point is about the camera being a tool. That is true but the only reason to invest in a better body is so that it gives you some headroom to grow i.e. as you get better you discover more use and functionality in your camera rather than as you get better the limitations of the camera hold you back.

The D90 and D300 may be a generation old but they are still very good cameras to upgrade to, for a good price, even from a D3100.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 15:07   #10849
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Re asking my question since it got masked by other informative posts..

Quote:
I'm using a Canon 40D and would like to upgrade it. I shoot mostly Landscapes and Portraits. Looking at Selling my 40D and Buy a Used Canon 60D.

It is a tough choice to make, Since the sensible upgrade would be a 7D, But a Used 7D costs about 55,000 Rupees, whereas a used 60D is available for ~ 35,000 - 40,000 Rupees.

Would you think it would be wise to go in for a 60D or save up more and get the 7D instead? Advice please
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 15:08   #10850
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,703
Thanked: 7,836 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Congratulations!!Did the coupon code work on zoomin? It worked about a week back, but now when I actually want to place an order the code is not working.
As already mentioned, I exchanged my old DSLR with D5100. When I type my old camera details, webpage generates an offer price and if i accept that offer, subsequent page generates a coupon code which I apply at check-out

While using above, i cannot use any other coupon code from Zoomin so no idea if normal discount coupons are still working or not.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 19:27   #10851
BHPian
 
arun_kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderbad
Posts: 206
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

You might have already tried this. I suggest you clean the terminals of the SD card where contact is made. Not being able to read the card in two devices may mean the card is damaged or has dust/grime on the contact area. Hope it's the latter in your case.
Yes, I have tried this but does not seem to work. SD card is getting detected in the system.
arun_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 11:11   #10852
BHPian
 
ariendj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 503
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

for those looking to buy an entry level dSLR..here is the best offer on nikon D3100.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_6871wt_754


New Nikon DSLR Camera D3100 Black + 18-55mm VR Kit Lens+4GB+Case+2Yr Nikon Wrnty+VAT Paid Bill & Lenspen+Dust blower+Cloth Worth Rs.990
for 23270

Last edited by ariendj : 1st November 2012 at 11:13.
ariendj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 11:54   #10853
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 592 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Awesome video.. Future of imaging, well it might be..

neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 16:49   #10854
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

So finally the news is out. The Nikon D5200 is being announced on Nov 6th!
More details here (speculative)
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/10/31/ni...mber-6th.aspx/

While D5100 stocks last, grab the deals as pricing for the D5200 is bound to be much higher.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 22:56   #10855
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, can anyone guide me on what is the ideal length for a tripod ?
I am looking for a minimum of 5ft extended length , will it be okay?
Do I need more ? or even a 4.5 ft lengt tripod would do good ?

I am planning to buy it before Diwali.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:58   #10856
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau
Guys, can anyone guide me on what is the ideal length for a tripod ?
I am looking for a minimum of 5ft extended length , will it be okay?
Do I need more ? or even a 4.5 ft lengt tripod would do good ?

I am planning to buy it before Diwali.
Most tripods will extend to 5 feet, but get something that can take low angle shots too... I got a velbon sherpa - not too heavy, sturdy and stable.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:46   #10857
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,399
Thanked: 4,085 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
I'm using a Canon 40D and would like to upgrade it. I shoot mostly Landscapes and Portraits. Looking at Selling my 40D and Buy a Used Canon 60D.

It is a tough choice to make, Since the sensible upgrade would be a 7D, But a Used 7D costs about 55,000 Rupees, whereas a used 60D is available for ~ 35,000 - 40,000 Rupees.

Would you think it would be wise to go in for a 60D or save up more and get the 7D instead? Advice please
Interesting! Is there anything wrong with your camera?
40D is one real good one from Canon as I've seen. And what's the idea selling this and going for a second hand body?
What's the shutter count as of now? If you're worried about that then check out your shutter count with this.

If your reason is only changing for the sake of changing, then it's a different matter all together.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:30   #10858
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Interesting! Is there anything wrong with your camera?
40D is one real good one from Canon as I've seen. And what's the idea selling this and going for a second hand body?
What's the shutter count as of now? If you're worried about that then check out your shutter count with this.

If your reason is only changing for the sake of changing, then it's a different matter all together.
Nothing wrong at all sir. Total Shutter count was ~ 94,000 and the shutter was replaced at 89,000. The New shutter count is about 5000 odd.

I feel I am cropping my images a lot these days, and wanted to take a suggestion if it is a worth while upgrade upgrading to a used 60D or push it further for a 7D?

I shoot mostly portraits and landscapes.
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:48   #10859
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,521
Thanked: 8,443 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Nothing wrong at all sir. Total Shutter count was ~ 94,000 and the shutter was replaced at 89,000. The New shutter count is about 5000 odd.
Do also note that prices of 7D will fall, because 6D has come out. If you really want to change, you might get good deals.
(I am not saying you should change. All I meant was in case you want to, you may find good offers for new pieces also)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:55   #10860
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,399
Thanked: 4,085 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
I shoot mostly portraits and landscapes.
And what size enlargement you normally go for? For A3 or even A2 size prints your camera is more than enough. And why are you cropping your images? Little bit of cropping here and there is perfectly alright but if you're going beyond that, means you're not concentrating on your composition.

That said, both the cameras you mentioned are surely good. But I would not suggest any second hand purchase. Gremlins if any, come out after few days of usage.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks