Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:57   #10861
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

People interested in photography should/can look at Ted Forbes' podcasts available on youtube (some of us might already be following him).

He talks about lots of interesting stuff related to photography and its certainly very informative. I am just a beginner in this domain so I am finding it really very very good. For a change this podcast is not just about cameras or lenses or taking pictures. He talks about all sorts of stuff related to photography (for examples there are episodes on dark room or old style medium frame mechanical cameras and about various famous photographers/books etc).

Search for theartofphotography on youtube to follow him. I'd advise start from first episode.

Last edited by joslicx : 2nd November 2012 at 11:01.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:02   #10862
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
And what size enlargement you normally go for? For A3 or even A2 size prints your camera is more than enough. And why are you cropping your images? Little bit of cropping here and there is perfectly alright but if you're going beyond that, means you're not concentrating on your composition.

That said, both the cameras you mentioned are surely good. But I would not suggest any second hand purchase. Gremlins if any, come out after few days of usage.
Agreed. Thanks for the inputs sir!
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:25   #10863
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,163
Thanked: 877 Times
Default

Ok guys, i am almost a noob when it comes to DSLR's .
My father is getting a Nikon D90 fitted with an opthalmic equipment of his. So we could probably use it occasionally for personal use as well.
So here is my simple question.
How good is the D90? It's almost a 3 year old model. is it competent enough even now?

Thanks

Last edited by agambhandari : 2nd November 2012 at 11:26.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:25   #10864
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Ok guys, i am almost a noob when it comes to DSLR's .
My father is getting a Nikon D90 fitted with an opthalmic equipment of his. So we could probably use it occasionally for personal use as well.
So here is my simple question.
How good is the D90? It's almost a 3 year old model. is it competent enough even now?

Thanks
Its indeed a brilliant choice. Very capable camera. Cameras dont become incompetent just because they have been discontinued...there are marketing pressures too

You will love the D90 if it comes for right price :-)
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:01   #10865
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 1,384 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Awesome video.. Future of imaging, well it might be..

Wow! A must view video!

Thanks Neo!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:50   #10866
BHPian
 
dreamseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Just came across this deal at next.co.in. Use the code "CAM-DIWALI" and get 10% off on their price. To give a perspective, the Nikon D7000 with 18-105 retails for about 69.8k.
dreamseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:22   #10867
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

A gem from the master himself. Heavy cropping of an image means it has not been properly composed.

"Old Man", more gems from you awaited..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

And why are you cropping your images? Little bit of cropping here and there is perfectly alright but if you're going beyond that, means you're not concentrating on your composition.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:37   #10868
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,028
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do also note that prices of 7D will fall, because 6D has come out. If you really want to change, you might get good deals.
(I am not saying you should change. All I meant was in case you want to, you may find good offers for new pieces also)
6D and 7D are different segments there is a rumored 7D MK2 coming up early next year.

6D is full frame with fewer AF points , slower AF and polycarbonate body perfect fit for consumer level APS-C users who want a cheaper full frame body.

7D gives weather sealing , fast AF tracking , Fast frame burst rate and must of birding / action. Actually there is nothing between 7D and 1D series today.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:09   #10869
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,535
Thanked: 8,464 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
6D and 7D are different segments there is a rumored 7D MK2 coming up early next year.
That is true. 6D was introduced to compete with Nikon D600. It is actually a logical upgrade to 7D. But as you said AF is not good.

6D meant to replace 5D MK II. But 5D MKII I think has much better ergonomics compared 6D while 6D has a smaller body.


Quote:
7D gives weather sealing , fast AF tracking , Fast frame burst rate and must of birding / action. Actually there is nothing between 7D and 1D series today.
Valid points. The only guy between 7D and 1D is the 5D MK III. I think 5D MK III also has a 1D AF system.
Also note 5MD MK III requires LR4 which now runs only on Windows 7. So if one is on windows XP he needs to upgrade that too !

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2012 at 18:30.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:54   #10870
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,028
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is true. 6D was introduced to compete with Nikon D600. It is actually a logical upgrade to 7D. But as you said AF is not good.

6D meant to replace 5D MK II. But 5D MKII I think has much better ergonomics compared 6D while 6D has a smaller body.
I think 6D was to break open a new category as of today there are lots of hobbyists who lurk for used fullframes as they can not justify money spent on a new fullframe for hobby. Both Canon 6D seems to capture this market.

I think it was never meant to be a replacement of 7D or 5DMKII.
Why exactly a fullframe for enthusiasts can be envisioned as logical upgrade to a pro level APS-C , I think people who do bird photography will always prefer APS-C over a Fullframe. Similarly 5D MKII is replaced by MKIII and I think will be discontinued soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Also note 5MD MK III requires LR4 which now runs only on Windows 7. So if one is on windows XP he needs to upgrade that too !
Well lightroom itself is not a must for RAW processing lot of people use Canon DPP , I personally prefer Canon DPP and UFRaw over lightroom.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:37   #10871
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,535
Thanked: 8,464 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think it was never meant to be a replacement of 7D or 5DMKII.
Why exactly a fullframe for enthusiasts can be envisioned as logical upgrade to a pro level APS-C , I think people who do bird photography
will always prefer APS-C over a Fullframe. Similarly 5D MKII is replaced by MKIII and I think will be discontinued soon.
That is true. I did not mean as a replacement to 7D. The only issue is that Canon is pricing it at the same point as 5D
MKII and discontinuing the MKII. So it might be a good point to buy MKII for its falling prices.


Quote:
Well lightroom itself is not a must for RAW processing lot of people use Canon DPP , I personally prefer Canon DPP and UFRaw over lightroom.
DPP has to be used for the best colour reproduction. But if you still need LR/Aperture/PS, I think the best option is :
RAW -> TIFF via DPP and then import the TIFF to LR/Aperture/PS.

But since TIFF eats out on space, that aspect needs to be taken care off.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:52   #10872
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai , Tamil Nadu
Posts: 282
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I will be most prolly getting a tripod this week. It will be used mainly with a D3100 with kit lens, a 50mm prime and the occasional 70-300 Sigma. I also want the tripod to be future proof since I foresee myself upgrading a year down the line so I am thinking of the Manfrotto Aluminium 294 kit with the 3-way head. I know a ball head is better but I prefer the 3-way for my shots. Any idea as to what the price of this 294 Aluminium kit maybe? Or are there any better models from other brands?

I was thinking of getting a Cullmann Magnesit series but there is no one to bring it to me from the US of A as of now.

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:52   #10873
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi All,

Is there a difference between DSLR's manufactured in Taiwan and Japan? One of my friend is looking to buy a 550 and visited Canon outlet and few other retailers.

The Canon showrooms has told him that the price is high as they sell Japan made ones and other sell Taiwan mades.

Is that true or really a factor to be considered ?

Suggestions please
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:11   #10874
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy
Hi All,

Is there a difference between DSLR's manufactured in Taiwan and Japan? One of my friend is looking to buy a 550 and visited Canon outlet and few other retailers.

The Canon showrooms has told him that the price is high as they sell Japan made ones and other sell Taiwan mades.

Is that true or really a factor to be considered ?

Suggestions please
I bought mine from ebay and it was Japan made. Not sure if this model is made in Taiwan, but if it is then see the price diff. And decide

Personally i prefer Japan over anything
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 23:18   #10875
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,394 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
The Canon showrooms has told him that the price is high as they sell Japan made ones and other sell Taiwan mades.

Is that true or really a factor to be considered ?

Suggestions please
AFAIK all 550Ds are made in Japan.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks