Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 12:40   #11101
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
What would be a better option for a dslr strap-
  • strap with a plate and extra bolt on for tripod
  • strap with direct bolt on screw to camera body
Are there any long term users of third party remote users?do they last long as compared to OEM brands?

I prefer the stock strap eyelets on the camera body and have been using Op Tech Pro straps for years.

Tripod mount sockets are not meant to carry the weight of the camera or lens when suspended upside down. Change the strap if you wish to something better for e.g. Up Strap, OpTech Pro, Lowepro, Kata etc.

There are too many horror stories about screws/connectors coming out from the tripod mount socket..this is primarily related to Black Rapid and similar straps. BR is very comfortable but you need to be cautious. It is also quite pricey.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:53   #11102
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 933
Thanked: 299 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Flipkart has Simpex 333 for 845 rs. Though the tripod is nothing great, it is ok for a beginer and flipkart can be trusted on product quality aspect
Having no tripod is better than wasting money and ennergy on a poor tripod. tripods are sonmething that should be bought only once. So get the best the first time around. A poor tripod can be really detrimental to the health of your camera and lenses. Do it at your own risk as it will be too late to regret your tripod decision later.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:58   #11103
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Having no tripod is better than wasting money and ennergy on a poor tripod. tripods are sonmething that should be bought only once. So get the best the first time around. A poor tripod can be really detrimental to the health of your camera and lenses. Do it at your own risk as it will be too late to regret your tripod decision later.
I suggested it because it costs half of some unknown "sonia" brand tripod from "ebay"

Agree with your point
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 13:02   #11104
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 933
Thanked: 299 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I suggested it because it costs half of some unknown "sonia" brand tripod from "ebay"

Agree with your point
Well I would suggest to avoid even 'Sonia' if possible
On a serious note. Look at some entry level offerings from Manfrotto, Slik, Vanguard and the cheap gitzo knockoffs from benro, feisol etc. Remember to have a load capacity of atleast 3 times more than the max load your tripod will bear. If you planning heavy expensive lenses in the future factor those right now instead of getting a new triipod later.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 13:30   #11105
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Flipkart has Simpex 333 for 845 rs. Though the tripod is nothing great, it is ok for a beginer and flipkart can be trusted on product quality aspect
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Having no tripod is better than wasting money and ennergy on a poor tripod. tripods are sonmething that should be bought only once. So get the best the first time around. A poor tripod can be really detrimental to the health of your camera and lenses. Do it at your own risk as it will be too late to regret your tripod decision later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I suggested it because it costs half of some unknown "sonia" brand tripod from "ebay"

Agree with your point
LOL!!!
Raj, I wasn't exactly looking for the cheapest Tripod available. I hope you get what I mean .
And to dispel any doubts, the tripod exceeds my expectation. And I didn't also mention anywhere that I had problems buying from Ebay. Infact, barring one instance, I have never bought from Flipkart. I prefer buying from Ebay and have had no problems in last 7-8 years.

I looked at Benro, Velbon,Simpex(cheapest),etc, but I wasn't happy with the price-feature combination. This one fits the bill perfectly and the build quality is very good for it's price. The feature list mentioned in the link I gave in my last post is genuine to the T.

I don't intend to buy any serious heavyweight lenses anytime soon, so a 4kg weight rating is good enough for me. And the day I'll buy such lens, I won't mind buying another Tripod too.
What say ?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 13:54   #11106
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hey Friends,

Can I please get some guidance on getting remote shutter-release thingy's... With the New Year Eve fast approach I would like to try capturing some fireworks and on reading around I find that remote (wired/wireless) works well because with the self-timer one can miss shots and without a remote or self-timer if I press the shutter button myself for longer exposure especially Bulb mode then I am sure to induce shake/blur, even if a tripod is used.

So what are your suggestions for a remote? wired or wireless either will do, but not infrared because of the line-of-sight limitation. The important thing for the remote i guess is to have compatibility with the B-mode, so that shutter can be opened to whatever I want.

Oh yeah, I need this for the Canon 600D.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 14:17   #11107
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I have a Nikon d3100 and have the standard 18-55 lens plus a 70-300 mm lens. I donot find these lens good enough to take a landscape pic, e.g. a view of the city from a rooftop, or a view of the sea with the boats, from the beach.
do i need a wide angle lens? which ones should i buy ?
siddutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 15:00   #11108
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
I have a Nikon d3100 and have the standard 18-55 lens plus a 70-300 mm lens. I donot find these lens good enough to take a landscape pic, e.g. a view of the city from a rooftop, or a view of the sea with the boats, from the beach.
do i need a wide angle lens? which ones should i buy ?
Can you please make it clear - in what all aspects you find these lenses not good enough for landscape? With the 18-55 kit lens, you can take nice landscape pictures. For more FOV, you need to go for a wide angle lens.

Mind you, even a 70-300 can sometimes be used for landscape photography!

Last edited by clevermax : 11th December 2012 at 15:02.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 15:06   #11109
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
.. in what all aspects you find these lenses not good enough for landscape? .....
thanks for answering.
I am new to slr photography dont know much. but the picture qualities come out good only for inside room pics and potrait kind of pictutes in the outdoors.

I would like to know if need to adjust aperture / focal lenght / any other settings for landscape photographies.
siddutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 15:34   #11110
Newbie
 
C4CAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hosur
Posts: 9
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
thanks for answering.
I am new to slr photography dont know much. but the picture qualities come out good only for inside room pics and potrait kind of pictutes in the outdoors.

I would like to know if need to adjust aperture / focal lenght / any other settings for landscape photographies.
What mode you use? Please share some pictures/links so that its easy for us to comment on.

1. I guess your interior pictures are good because you would have set it in Auto mode and camera could have fired flash.
2. or White balance is set to tungsten and you shot the outdoor with same white balance and it would have thrown bluish picture.
3. Since you are new to photography i suggest this site for further reading http://digital-photography-school.com/

Happy Clicking
JC
C4CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 16:40   #11111
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Friends,

Can I please get some guidance on getting remote shutter-release thingy's... With the New Year Eve fast approach I would like to try capturing some fireworks and on reading around I find that remote (wired/wireless) works well because with the self-timer one can miss shots and without a remote or self-timer if I press the shutter button myself for longer exposure especially Bulb mode then I am sure to induce shake/blur, even if a tripod is used.

So what are your suggestions for a remote? wired or wireless either will do, but not infrared because of the line-of-sight limitation. The important thing for the remote i guess is to have compatibility with the B-mode, so that shutter can be opened to whatever I want.

Oh yeah, I need this for the Canon 600D.
BUMP!!

And I found this Aputure device for remote wireless trigger http://www.ebay.in/itm/Aputure-Pro-C...ht_3345wt_1009

Is this any good? or should I stick to Canon wired/wireless remotes?
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 00:04   #11112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
thanks for answering.
I am new to slr photography dont know much. but the picture qualities come out good only for inside room pics and potrait kind of pictutes in the outdoors.

I would like to know if need to adjust aperture / focal lenght / any other settings for landscape photographies.
Since you are new to SLR photogaphy, I would suggest you try shooting in A (or Auto) mode to start with. You can go through the web to get some basic concepts cleared up before you start using the other modes.

As outlined in the post above, if you are shooting in a room in Auto mode, the camera may be using flash and getting the exposure right, but it wouldn't work in a dark outdoor environment.

You can try setting everything to auto (camera on A mode and with autofocus on) and try and shoot pictures in broad daylight and check how they turn out. Don't try to shoot moving objects like birds and cars, but focus on buildings or trees or other stationery objects. If the photos turn out clear, there's nothing to worry about.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 00:19   #11113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
thanks for answering.
I am new to slr photography dont know much. but the picture qualities come out good only for inside room pics and potrait kind of pictutes in the outdoors.

I would like to know if need to adjust aperture / focal lenght / any other settings for landscape photographies.
Exactly I started out like you, in fact even worse than you. I would recommend you watch a couple of videos on youtube about basics of digital photography and understand Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. Once you get to understand the relation between the three, things will start getting interesting for you.
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:04   #11114
BHPian
 
gr8guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 649
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
BUMP!!

And I found this Aputure device for remote wireless trigger http://www.ebay.in/itm/Aputure-Pro-C...ht_3345wt_1009

Is this any good? or should I stick to Canon wired/wireless remotes?
Any basic remote shutter release cable should do, don't bother spending too much on it. Infact if you use timer, that will do too.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 13:09   #11115
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 138
Thanked: 45 Times
Thumbs up Re: The DSLR Thread

If anyone is looking for a full frame, this is one heck of a deal,

Nikon is having a massive $500 rebate just for TODAY on D600+ 24-85mm VR kit, sets you back by $1996.95, the deal is live on BHPhotoVideo, Adorama and BeachCamera, use MyUS to ship it to India, shipping is depending on the weight, I guess would be about 2.5kg to 3kg, would be in the range of $65 to $95. (add $10 for account setup fees if you are a new member)

Total 1996.95+ (approx 110 for shipping) $2106.95 for a D600 + 24-85mm kit

If you have an Amex card you get free Premium membership at MyUS

I'm inveseted in Canon else this is sweet, I've used Bhphotovideo and their shipping and packaging is real neat, you can opt for DHL or Fedex. Ah regular disclaimer, please go through the fine print.
kartikk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks