Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 17:43   #11161
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
+1 to that. What battery life are you getting on your 60D? I have been getting around 500-600 odd shots (10% pictures with flash, LCD brightness set at level 3, seldom video recording). This is much lower than the Canon claimed life of 1600 shots without flash and 1100 with flash.
I have not been tracking this very closely as I have a spare battery and I tend to quickly swap them when I see the low battery warning. But yes mine would in a similar ballpark.

One reason for a lower battery life is that I do quite a bit of library management on the go. Browsing/zooming into photos and watching videos on the camera also drains the batteries quickly.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 22:57   #11162
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Recommended with reservations. If you have the budget for the 28-300 I'd say up your budget/save more and get the 24-70. You won't get the range but you will get a lens that you will keep for a long time.
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

I will have to stretch budget to get even this 28-300. It was recommended by one of my friend as it would avoid carrying other lenses if I have this. 24-70 will be too much of stretch and may not be possible for me think about it in the near future. How about 24-85 VR? It is relatively cheap and seems the output is pretty sharp. I am currently in US and this is available at $599.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 23:22   #11163
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,137 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
It was recommended by one of my friend as it would avoid carrying other lenses if I have this. How about 24-85 VR? It is relatively cheap and seems the output is pretty sharp. I am currently in US and this is available at $599.
I'd prefer the 28-300 over the 24-85mm. The former has better reviews.

Also, if you have to make a compromise it might as well be for the lens that gives you more convenience i.e. an 11x zoom. And that's where I agree with your friend...you don't need to carry additional lenses. It is also the reason I purchased one for myself.

The 28-300 will do perfectly as long as you accept and compensate for most of its shortcomings in post processing.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 23:43   #11164
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd prefer the 28-300 over the 24-85mm. The former has better reviews.

Also, if you have to make a compromise it might as well be for the lens that gives you more convenience i.e. an 11x zoom. And that's where I agree with your friend...you don't need to carry additional lenses. It is also the reason I purchased one for myself.

The 28-300 will do perfectly as long as you accept and compensate for most of its shortcomings in post processing.
Thanks again for the clarification. I would then go ahead with 28-300 now and probably plan to upgrade to 24-70 after 1/2 years.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:58   #11165
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 16
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
+1 to that. Recently I was in the market for a new body to replace my aging 20D. I too was in a similar fix. Using the 20D for seven years without a single issue (including use in light rain!) made me go for the one with the tougher build (weather sealed) and faster specs finally. The other advantage over 650D is the easier controls (less button pressing with the control wheel) and better feel to hold.



The 50 mm, being a very simple lens, offers amazing sharpness and bokeh at its focal length for the price. However, you are really comparing apples and oranges here. 15-85mm offers convenience (wide-angle to portrait) that 50mm will not, and the 50mm will offer a different perspective that the 15-85mm will not! Both are exclusive to each other.

If you are comparing with your existing 18-55mm kit lens, 15-85 will offer much better sharpness, plus it is an IS lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The 15-85 lens is very good optically. There is visible distortion at the wide end but this can be easily corrected. The lens is very well built, has very good image sharpness and the USM helps in achieving quick and silent autofocus. The lens is considerably heavier than the 18-55 kit lens. The lens will outweigh the 550D body.

Low light performance of the 15-85 will be the same as the 18-55 since they both have the same f/3.5 at the wide end. The15-85 will focus faster due to the USM. The wide end as well as telephoto end of the 15-85 make it a very good walk around lens. It is not the ideal lens for stopping fast moving subjects in low light but you can always bump up the ISO speed to compensate.

I have the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens too. The 50mm has it specific advantages and is certainly a better low light performer. But the fixed focal length and the slow AF are its sore points. Optically, it is comparable to the 15-85 in the f/3.5-8.0 range being a prime lens.

The 15-85 is expensive. Canon increased prices of all its lenses in Sept. which makes its worse. I purchased it off a brand new 7D kit and got a significant discount.



+1 to that. What battery life are you getting on your 60D? I have been getting around 500-600 odd shots (10% pictures with flash, LCD brightness set at level 3, seldom video recording). This is much lower than the Canon claimed life of 1600 shots without flash and 1100 with flash.
Thanks a lot guys !!!!
Yup i know they have increased the prices of the entire lens range by 10%.
I am thinking of getting it from abroad where the prices remains same.
Rajvir Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:10   #11166
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Was test driving my friend's newly acquired A57.

He's got a mouth watering setup for a budget which is totally insufficient to buy a similar package with Canon & Nikon -

A57
Minolta 70-210 f/4 (Beercan)
Minolta 75-300 f/4.5 - 5.6
Sony 18-55mm

Bowled over by the camera's performance, it has excellent low light performance and a frame rate like AK-47

Here'a picture of the camera taken with my A35 + Minolta 70-210mm, while my 50mm Minolta was mounted on the A57. It looks like an image flicked from a review site but no, it is taken at home

The DSLR Thread-_dsc9608_w.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd January 2013 at 21:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 11:27   #11167
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,946 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Upgrading to D5100 from a D40x seems like moving over to a new era.

Plenty of in-camera features to mod your pictures

There is one particular feature (Selective Coloring), I understand the concept and also tried keeping the point selected whose color will be selected and rest of the colors from the picture will be turned into monochrome

But, i am simply unable to do it as above.

Would appreciate if someone can do a step-by-step guide to accomplish this feature?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 14:41   #11168
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,708
Thanked: 7,605 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Upgrading to D5100 from a D40x seems like moving over to a new era.

Plenty of in-camera features to mod your pictures

There is one particular feature (Selective Coloring), I understand the concept and also tried keeping the point selected whose color will be selected and rest of the colors from the picture will be turned into monochrome

But, i am simply unable to do it as above.

Would appreciate if someone can do a step-by-step guide to accomplish this feature?
I know what you mean. The User Interface for this feature is not very easy and intuitive. I got a hang of it after playing with it for good 15-20 minutes.

Here's a tutorial from YouTube that can help:
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 14:58   #11169
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
He's got a mouth watering setup for a budget which is totally insufficient to buy a similar package with Canon & Nikon -
A57
Minolta 70-210 f/4 (Beercan)
Minolta 75-300 f/4.5 - 5.6
Sony 18-55mm
Hi clevermax,

Since you are a Sony user, what telephoto zoom or prime lenses are available for a Sony DSL(R/T) body? I was always fascinated by the high frame rate of the DSLT cameras, and sometime in future might get one also. I was particularly impressed after reading the review of Sony α99 DSLT on dpreview. If I do get a Sony; I am mainly thinking of using it in the jungle or on birding sessions, hence the question about the telephoto zoom lenses. What are equivalent Sony lenses similar to 300mm and above focal lengths in nikon & canon?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 17:44   #11170
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,137 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

My bro is deciding between a Canon 5D Mk3 and a Sony A99. Let's see what he finally buys. I'd prefer Canon as it is a superior photographic 'system'.

But the A99 scores higher on the DXO charts than the Canon. Now, why doesn't that surprise me?

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th January 2013 at 17:45.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 17:45   #11171
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,946 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I know what you mean. The User Interface for this feature is not very easy and intuitive. I got a hang of it after playing with it for good 15-20 minutes. Here's a tutorial from YouTube that can help:
Thanks for the video link. Now I understand that you have to set the effects to "SC" before taking a picture. And, I was trying to mod the "already" taken picture using the "SC" feature in the MENU

Now iam confused why should they provide SC in the menu under the pictures effect customization when it cannot be done AFTER taking a picture?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 20:18   #11172
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,708
Thanked: 7,605 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for the video link. Now I understand that you have to set the effects to "SC" before taking a picture. And, I was trying to mod the "already" taken picture using the "SC" feature in the MENU

Now iam confused why should they provide SC in the menu under the pictures effect customization when it cannot be done AFTER taking a picture?
You can choose to retouch an already taken photo and use 'selective color' to save another copy. Just tried, works!

PS: You need to use the "AE-L/AF-L" button to select a color.

Last edited by SDP : 5th January 2013 at 20:19.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 09:23   #11173
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hi clevermax,

Since you are a Sony user, what telephoto zoom or prime lenses are available for a Sony DSL(R/T) body? I was always fascinated by the high frame rate of the DSLT cameras, and sometime in future might get one also. I was particularly impressed after reading the review of Sony α99 DSLT on dpreview. If I do get a Sony; I am mainly thinking of using it in the jungle or on birding sessions, hence the question about the telephoto zoom lenses. What are equivalent Sony lenses similar to 300mm and above focal lengths in nikon & canon?
There's a SAL 70-400G lens available. Combine it with a 2x tele converter and you get very good zoom ranges for wildlife.

http://store.sony.com/c/Camera-Lense..._Lens_Families

This site lists all Sony lenses.. There are older Minolta and third party manufacturer lenses from Tamron etc.

There was a 500mm f/4 fixed zoom lens That costs a bomb!

Then there's a 500mm f/8 reflex lens which is currently unavailable. Probably that can be found on ebay.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th January 2013 at 09:37.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 11:51   #11174
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 936
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Whats the price that a new D800E is available for in India right now? I am thinking of picking up one asap to get a new body after my using my antiquated D50 for wildlife photography all these years. I am primarily looking for a lot of cropping ability that my 6 MP D50 sorely lacks to get more of that bird in frame along with good ISO and AF performance. The 25 MP 1.2X crop is quite intriguing and I am hoping that it should be pretty close to the 1.3 crop that the Canon has had on its pro bodies for all these years. Any help here will be appreciated.

Yes I know a longer lens will be needed and I have been looking at that 600 F4 for all these months. God if only I had not bought that Ford Figo TDCI Tiatanium when i had the funds mid last year
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 12:32   #11175
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

Hi Friends,

I have been using a Canon 450 D with kit lens. Can you please suggest me a lens with better zoom for clicking children (outdoor without flash)?

Nothing on big budgets, even I am ok for used stuff.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks