Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 14:13   #11206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Help me to decide a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi all,
After lots of delay and other issues,i'm finally in mood of picking up a DSLR. I did some research as per my budget and have zeroed down on Nikon D3200 with 18-105mm lens.18-105mm lens because if at all i require to upgrade it later,it'll be much later.I checked on Flipkart and its available with them.Moreover i read in this thread that Flipkart is an online dealer for Nikon.I request all of you to help. I'm a newbie to DSLRs. My use will be mainly for some regular snaps and for railfanning. I also read a blog which did help me somehow. (http://www.tristanshu.com/Blog/En/20...anon-to-nikon/). My sister-in-law uses a Canon 550D and i also used it for a few days.Thats a nice buy but the one with 18-135mm lens is out of my budget and i don't intend to buy 18-55mm kit. So please give some inputs. Thanks in advance.
Buy only the Canon Body and whatever lens you like. You can then share lenses with your SIL.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 16:30   #11207
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Nikon D400???

Have been waiting this camera (replacement of D300s) for a while now. Lots of rumors, but nothing tangible.

Unless Nikon comes up (in the next 6 months) with the D400 or D8000 (whatever they choose to call it even if they merge the D300 and D7000 lines), I am tempted to start looking at the 7D Mk II, which should appear soon. Very interesting specs. The 100-400L lens is another attraction.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 23:38   #11208
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Help me to decide a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Buy only the Canon Body and whatever lens you like. You can then share lenses with your SIL.
That make sense, it is good to go for Canon so lens can be shared.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:43   #11209
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post

Buy only the Canon Body and whatever lens you like. You can then share lenses with your SIL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post

That make sense, it is good to go for Canon so lens can be shared.
My bad,forgot to mention,we stay in separate cities and sharing lenses might not be possible always.The other option if I really stretch my budget is Canon 550D with 55-135mm lens but not keen on it as I feel it'll be good if that lens is offered with Canon 600D.Anyway,more the delay,more I can think on other models also.But somehow my mind is set on Nikon D3200.Is it advisable to buy it from Flipkart?I don't have any dealer here.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:32   #11210
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cyberabad / hyderabad
Posts: 132
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Help me to decide a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi all,
After lots of delay and other issues,i'm finally in mood of picking up a DSLR. I did some research as per my budget and have zeroed down on Nikon D3200 with 18-105mm lens.18-105mm lens because if at all i require to upgrade it later,it'll be much later.I checked on Flipkart and its available with them.Moreover i read in this thread that Flipkart is an online dealer for Nikon.I request all of you to help. I'm a newbie to DSLRs. My use will be mainly for some regular snaps and for railfanning. I also read a blog which did help me somehow. (http://www.tristanshu.com/Blog/En/20...anon-to-nikon/). My sister-in-law uses a Canon 550D and i also used it for a few days.Thats a nice buy but the one with 18-135mm lens is out of my budget and i don't intend to buy 18-55mm kit. So please give some inputs. Thanks in advance.

Any reason you will not be looking at a sony A57?
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:21   #11211
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Friends, I am looking for a tele lens for my 450D kit. Primary requirement is to shoot close images of kids outdoor.
Found few used lenses very cheap at ebay.co.uk. Can anyone recommend the suitable one for above purpose please?

CANON ZOOM LENS 75-300mm ZOOM LENS 1:4-5.6 II 58mm FOR CANON COMPATIBLE DIGITAL - GBP 38

Canon 28-80mm EF Zoom Lens F/1:3.5-5.6 II - GBP 37

Canon EF 28-90mm F4-5.6 Zoom Lens for EOS SLR - GBP 39

Any feedback on Ebay UK purchases? I plan to buy it through my brother there.

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th January 2013 at 13:23.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:47   #11212
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My bad,forgot to mention,we stay in separate cities and sharing lenses might not be possible always.The other option if I really stretch my budget is Canon 550D with 55-135mm lens but not keen on it as I feel it'll be good if that lens is offered with Canon 600D.Anyway,more the delay,more I can think on other models also.But somehow my mind is set on Nikon D3200.Is it advisable to buy it from Flipkart?I don't have any dealer here.
Considering your location, it becomes even more important to see what your friends etc. are using.

IMHO, the difference between bodies between Nikon and Canon is negligible at your current expertise level.

See how much of access do you have to lenses from various sources - family, friends, shops for renting, etc.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:49   #11213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Friends, I am looking for a tele lens for my 450D kit. Primary requirement is to shoot close images of kids outdoor.
Found few used lenses very cheap at ebay.co.uk. Can anyone recommend the suitable one for above purpose please?

CANON ZOOM LENS 75-300mm ZOOM LENS 1:4-5.6 II 58mm FOR CANON COMPATIBLE DIGITAL - GBP 38

Canon 28-80mm EF Zoom Lens F/1:3.5-5.6 II - GBP 37

Canon EF 28-90mm F4-5.6 Zoom Lens for EOS SLR - GBP 39

Any feedback on Ebay UK purchases? I plan to buy it through my brother there.
What lenses do you own currently?

PS : Go stand closer to the subject :P
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:52   #11214
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
What lenses do you own currently?

PS : Go stand closer to the subject :P
I own a 18-55 kit lens and used friends 50mm and 55-250 few times.

(Can't go too close to kids as I like to get natural snaps)
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 14:20   #11215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I own a 18-55 kit lens and used friends 50mm and 55-250 few times.

(Can't go too close to kids as I like to get natural snaps)
Then I guess 70-300 is only one from the list which has the reach. Why not 55-250 IS if you can find one, or any lens with IS? All of them are cheap, so don't expect great sharpness. But hey, for second hand lenses, they are worth it, provided they are not damaged or anything majorly wrong with them
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 14:41   #11216
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Then I guess 70-300 is only one from the list which has the reach. Why not 55-250 IS if you can find one, or any lens with IS? All of them are cheap, so don't expect great sharpness. But hey, for second hand lenses, they are worth it, provided they are not damaged or anything majorly wrong with them
Thank you for your advise. I will look for 55-250 IS as well (Any serious difference between IS and IS II?)

I am on a tight budget and not looking for any expensive glasses
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 14:51   #11217
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 83
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thank you for your advise. I will look for 55-250 IS as well (Any serious difference between IS and IS II?)

I am on a tight budget and not looking for any expensive glasses
IS and IS II would be the same on low end lenses; just a guess, but never heard otherwise. Get one in your budget. The reason I recommend IS lenses is because you will most probably be hand holding it, and not be using a tripod, which makes a huge difference.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:07   #11218
BHPian
 
srivatsahg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thank you for your advise. I will look for 55-250 IS as well (Any serious difference between IS and IS II?)

I am on a tight budget and not looking for any expensive glasses
If you want to gauge the quality of the images by yourself before buying the desired lens then i would suggest you to rent out the shortlisted set of glasses (both IS and ISII). Take some RAW shots in low light or twilight conditions. By the end of it you would be able to tell by yourself which one suits you the best.

I see that you're based in Bangalore. You should try this
http://www.toehold.in/rentals.php
srivatsahg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:29   #11219
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I have a Canon 70-200 2.8 L Lens. The lens has some evident fungus in it. But does not have any effect on IQ.

The Lens works 100% fine, But just wanted to check if clearing it will improve the AF or performance of the lens.

I'm not sure if i should send it to canon service to open up the lens & clean it. Have the following questions about the fungus:

1) Will it affect the AF performance if the lens is opened up?

2) Should i ask them to recalibrate the lens themselves or is it an activity i need to perform with my own Body?

3) Will a fungus spread from One Lens to Another through the same body?

4) If cleared, Is it possible for the fungus to grow again in the same lens?

Google gives me varied results with many saying not to open the lens and few others opting in favour of it. Any one here who has actually opened the lens to clean it of?

Advice please.

Pic of the fungus:
Attached Images
 

Last edited by MadBiker : 15th January 2013 at 15:39.
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:54   #11220
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
If you want to gauge the quality of the images by yourself before buying the desired lens then i would suggest you to rent out the shortlisted set of glasses (both IS and ISII). Take some RAW shots in low light or twilight conditions. By the end of it you would be able to tell by yourself which one suits you the best.

I see that you're based in Bangalore. You should try this
http://www.toehold.in/rentals.php
I never thought of this
Thanks for the link.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks