Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 11:46   #11626
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Taking the plunge into SLR domain. I'm a complete novice compared to the experts around here. After quite a few years with P&S and against some stiff opposition (from FM) I decided to plunge into the black hole. Hopefully it doesn't suck me dry


On a serious note, I want to up my learning curve. Have tried to readup on the exhaustive information in the prior pages.

Was thinking to start the journey with Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR kit. What do you guys think?

Saw this today on flipkart - Nikon D5100 (body) with Sigma 18-125mm F/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM combo for 40k. Think this is good?
Do some more reading around this probably you will not find it as best deal or best combo either.

Also flipkart is priced little higher then brick and mortar DSLR shops ( this excludes Whizz and GK Vale kind of places in Malls)
If you are in a metro look for dedicated camera dealers and places for better deals.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 11:58   #11627
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 1,311 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Was thinking to start the journey with Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR kit. What do you guys think?

Saw this today on flipkart - Nikon D5100 (body) with Sigma 18-125mm F/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM combo for 40k. Think this is good?
Check out www.camshot.in . You would usually find the best price here. If you are coming down to Pune, you can pick it up yourself.

Here's the price on the camshot site of D5100:

Name:  camshot_D5100.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  63.7 KB
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:08   #11628
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Check out www.camshot.in . You

Here's the price on the camshot site of D5100:
Well this price is with 18-55 VR Nikon lens the combination he has provided is
Sigma 18-125 F3.5- 5.6 DC OS HSM lens.

Now that is why I suggested to study more Nikon 18-105 VR has similar performance but better corner sharpness at the extreme ends wide open.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...3556vr?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...3856os?start=1

Finally why exactly Nikon D5100 is another question you need to ask yourself.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:16   #11629
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 1,311 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well this price is with 18-55 VR Nikon lens the combination he has provided is
Sigma 18-125 F3.5- 5.6 DC OS HSM lens.

Now that is why I suggested to study more Nikon 18-105 VR has similar performance but better corner sharpness at the extreme ends wide open.
I agree to an extent. The site also shows Body-only price. Probably you were in a hurry to commrent on my post. Arup can get the body at the best price and buy a lens from somewhere else.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:32   #11630
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Do some more reading around this probably you will not find it as best deal or best combo either. Also flipkart is priced little higher then brick and mortar DSLR shops
Thanks Amit, If you point me the right page it'll be really helpful. Else sifting through 700+ pages will cause a burnout.

I thought flipkart was cheaper than Brick shops. Now that you have mentioned, will put my legs to better use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Check out www.camshot.in . You would usually find the best price here.
Thanks Ajay, Yeah I had heard (oopps read) about it. But from what I understand only flipkart is listed as official online retailer by Nikon. Is that true?
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:37   #11631
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 1,311 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I thought flipkart was cheaper than Brick shops. Now that you have mentioned, will put my legs to better use.

Thanks Ajay, Yeah I had heard (oopps read) about it. But from what I understand only flipkart is listed as official online retailer by Nikon. Is that true?
Flipkart is NOT cheaper than shops, well most of the shops.
Camshot is not a Nikon authorised dealer, but from whatever experience I have had in the last 3-4 years, they are pretty reliable. Also, since anyway you are going to visit a shop physically, why not this too. The only interest I have with Camshot, is that they give the best price, be it any camera. So I usually advise the place to people.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 15:47   #11632
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

One important thing to check out with retail shops is to phone beforehand and check on availability. Not to say anything about camshop in particular (which could have the entire range as attested by members her), but not all shops in a particular city are equal. For example, in Delhi, shops in less affluent areas may have only a limited range while shops in central locations or in big shopping complexes may have the full range in stock.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 11:23   #11633
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,733
Thanked: 877 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Flipkart is NOT cheaper than shops, well most of the shops. Camshot is not a Nikon authorised dealer, The only interest I have with Camshot, is that they give the best price, be it any camera. So I usually advise the place to people.
Flipkart has one of the highest prices in recent months. Probably pressure from their VCs to increase profits and provide them better ROI.

Don't buy from them unless you can't find it any other (reliable) dealer at a lower price.

I think there was a discussion earlier about Camshot not being an authorised Nikon dealer. SPARKled had called Nikon India directly to enquire.

They also confirmed that Flipkart is an authorised online dealer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3011365 (The DSLR Thread)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 11:34   #11634
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 1,311 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think there was a discussion earlier about Camshot not being an authorised Nikon dealer. SPARKled had called Nikon India directly to enquire.

They also confirmed that Flipkart is an authorised online dealer.

[/url]
Yes, thats what I mentioned in my post. Camshot is NOT the authorized dealer of Nikon.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 11:42   #11635
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,733
Thanked: 877 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Yes, thats what I mentioned in my post. Camshot is NOT the authorized dealer of Nikon.
Yups Ajay, I was only reiterating what you said via a link to SPARKled's post.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 13:06   #11636
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 705
Thanked: 355 Times
Post Re: Help me to decide a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm a newbie to DSLRs. My use will be mainly for some regular snaps and for railfanning.
Why not the (older) Nikon D3100, cheaper and enough for practical purposes (I own it).

Check-out:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/upgrades.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Last edited by manim : 10th April 2013 at 13:08.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 18:35   #11637
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 839 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I have Canon's 550D with the kit lens and wanted to buy a tripod for it.

I narrowed down the search to Simpex 2400 at 1100/- and Slik F 630 at 2125/-, both available on Flipkart.

Now Slik offers lifetime warranty whereas Simpex only 18 months, but Simpex is half the price. I'd not be carrying the tripod around on treks or anything so I don't need a super-tough tripod but would definitely be buying heavier lenses in future so it should be able to hold that extra weight without any fuss.

The load capacity of Simpex is rated at 2900 gms but Slik doesn't show anything with respect to load or anything. What say?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:10   #11638
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 918
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have Canon's 550D with the kit lens and wanted to buy a tripod for it.

I narrowed down the search to Simpex 2400 at 1100/- and Slik F 630 at 2125/-, both available on Flipkart.

Now Slik offers lifetime warranty whereas Simpex only 18 months, but Simpex is half the price. I'd not be carrying the tripod around on treks or anything so I don't need a super-tough tripod but would definitely be buying heavier lenses in future so it should be able to hold that extra weight without any fuss.

The load capacity of Simpex is rated at 2900 gms but Slik doesn't show anything with respect to load or anything. What say?
I'd say avoid both. Buy something with at least 7-10 kgs capacity. Slik is good with support products but simpex I frankly have no idea. Your tripod should be able to support at least 3 times the maximum weight you are going to load it with. Check out manfrotto as well.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:22   #11639
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,105
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

A good rule for tripods is the heavier the better. So get one which has sturdy legs. Beware of tripods which extend more than 4 feet. These will normally sway and shake, unless they are of the more expensive variety - Carbon Fiber or Wood, but then these are in the 15k+ category.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 17:18   #11640
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,733
Thanked: 877 Times
Default Nikon Image Space introduced in India

Guys,

Nikon has introduced its Image Space photo sharing and hosting facility to India based users. Nikon camera users get a 'special' account i.e. 20 GB storage space. The service is free and has an IOS/Android app downloadable from the iTunes/Play Store.

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/announc...ace-Launch.xml

http://info.nikonimagespace.com/en_US/special.html

I signed up earlier today.

I read the service is not without issues, but then its free.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks