Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:31   #11971
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,670
Thanked: 789 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks a lot for the news. Just in time.
However, it would be of great help if you could let me know some genuine dealers in Pune for Nikon/Canon gears. We can continue the discussion on PM, so that I do not spam this thread.

Cheers !
No worries Ajay, will be glad to help via PM

@Vasudeva - IIRC there Nikon initiated 2 hikes last year between May and July 2012 making for a pretty steep hike overall. There was a single very steep hike by Canon at around the same time. Canon's lenses that were traditionally less expensive than equivalents from Nikon suddenly became more expensive. All this was due to the INR tanking to between 50-55/$ at that time. It is now at 60/$ so I am quite sure that many companies are contemplating a price increase. Gosh! I remember it being at 44-45 in August 2011. The INR has received quite a bashing all right while the UPA Govt. was either asleep at the wheels or more focussed on petty politicking with other parties.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:08   #11972
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 327
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, i am finally thinking of taking the plunge from a point and shoot to a SLR. I visited a showroom in Fort, Mumbai who quoted me 19k for the Canon 1100D with the 18 -55 IS II lens. My question is

1. What is the difference between 18 - 55 IS II and 18 - 55 IS III ?
2. Any news of Canon increasing the prices, the sales person was forcing me to buy it else there would be price hike
3. Is the price mentioned reasonable ? The price includes a 16 GB card, camera, lens and a filter
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:51   #11973
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Guys, i am finally thinking of taking the plunge from a point and shoot to a SLR. I visited a showroom in Fort, Mumbai who quoted me 19k for the Canon 1100D with the 18 -55 IS II lens. My question is

1. What is the difference between 18 - 55 IS II and 18 - 55 IS III ?
2. Any news of Canon increasing the prices, the sales person was forcing me to buy it else there would be price hike
3. Is the price mentioned reasonable ? The price includes a 16 GB card, camera, lens and a filter
The price is quite competitive.

Though there may be increase due to Rupee sliding, I do not think so as the market is depressed and the Nikon offerings are decreasing in price.

If you are starting with DSLR and can increase your budget a bit then the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 lens is a better buy
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon-D3200
http://versus.com/en/canon-eos-1100d-vs-nikon-d3200
http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3200-...f-a4d0082e92f9
http://www.flipkart.com/canon-eos-11...f-49ccb15a52c6
As you can see that the Flipkart (for comparison only) prices are within 5 k, and you get lot more features.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:02   #11974
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,468
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Folks,

Want your advice on buying a wide angle lens. We have Nikon D3100. The options are Nikkor 10-24mm, f/3.5-4G ED costing Rs 65K or Tokina 11/16 costing Rs 35K. Confused between the two. Any recommendations as the price difference is quite sharp.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:17   #11975
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Folks,

Want your advice on buying a wide angle lens. We have Nikon D3100. The options are Nikkor 10-24mm, f/3.5-4G ED costing Rs 65K or Tokina 11/16 costing Rs 35K. Confused between the two. Any recommendations as the price difference is quite sharp.
I use the nikkor 10-24mm for landscape shots, so I can vouch for that lens - I find it quite nice to use. I've heard the Tokina range of wide angle lenses is pretty good too. Funny part is - I bought my 10-24 for somewhere around 45k more than 2 years ago. 65k now eh?? Value seems to be appreciating like gold only in India . US prices will be way cheaper. Take a look at this - it seems to be ~800$ there :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...G_ED_AF_S.html

Is it worth 65k when competition is half the price?? Probably no. If you're buying from India, the Tokina or Tamron might be more economical.

If you're keen on not using third party lenses, I'd suggest another thing - wait for a couple of months and pick up the Nikkor from bhphotovideo or some such site in the US. They usually have nice discounts running around thanksgiving season (Oct-Nov). Alternatively, you could even check for refurbished lenses which will be available for ~half the price of new ones.

P.S - I've tried the Sigma and Tamron wide angle lenses, and I've found them to be not-so-satisfactory as far as the autofocus is concerned. They used to keep perpetually 'hunting' for autofocus, quite irritating when we need to take quick shots. No such issues with the nikkor DX 10-24. Not sure about the latest range of Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses though.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd July 2013 at 13:35.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:33   #11976
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,468
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I
Is it worth 65k when competition is half the price?? Probably no. If you're buying from India, the Tokina or Tamron might be more economical.
Thanks Karthik for detailed response. You bet. The cost of lens is much more than the camera itself!!

I think i will wait for thanks giving time and ask some friend going to USA to pick one. It definitely makes sense.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:02   #11977
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
You bet. The cost of lens is much more than the camera itself!!
Nothing wrong with that. The conventional wisdom is spend 30% on body and 70% on lenses, from your camera budget. Lenses hold their value very well, but bodies depreciate fast. Recently I sold a 2.5 year old Olympus m4/3 lens for more than the price I paid. Meanwhile, nobody wants the body even at half price.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 20:21   #11978
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Karthik for detailed response. You bet. The cost of lens is much more than the camera itself!!

I think i will wait for thanks giving time and ask some friend going to USA to pick one. It definitely makes sense.
I am thinking of going for the Tokina 11-16mm. Have been reading great things about it.

Regarding cost of body vs. other stuff: cost of body will eventually be the part of the iceberg above water.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 21:41   #11979
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 742
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Fauji / Nilanjan,

My personal take - I was evaluating the Tokina 11-16 when I was looking for a landscape lens. I finally settled for a Canon 10-22, when I found out the most reviews of the Tokina talked about the bad sun flare effect. Since most landscapes do have the sun in some place or the other, I did not go ahead with the Tokina.

Last edited by nileshch : 26th July 2013 at 21:42.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 21:54   #11980
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I think CA correction with 11-16 Tokina may not be that easy. Are lens profiles available ? But with Canon/Nikon it should be much easier with their native s/w and their own lens.

I had the same debate and later went Canon 10-22.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 22:58   #11981
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 742
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: help on camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I use the nikkor 10-24mm for landscape shots, so I can vouch for that lens - I find it quite nice to use. I've heard the Tokina range of wide angle lenses is pretty good too. Funny part is - I bought my 10-24 for somewhere around 45k more than 2 years ago. 65k now eh?? Value seems to be appreciating like gold only in India . US prices will be way cheaper.
All optics and camera prices have risen after the Japan earthquake because most of these specialized optics & electronics from Nikon/Canon are made in Japan. The Chinese have not been able to crack the manufacturing process yet!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:20   #11982
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think CA correction with 11-16 Tokina may not be that easy. Are lens profiles available ? But with Canon/Nikon it should be much easier with their native s/w and their own lens.

I had the same debate and later went Canon 10-22.
I am aware about the lens flare issues. But currently I am looking for a vfm option.The Tokina or a Sigma uwa is much cheaper
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:37   #11983
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,337
Thanked: 3,838 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think CA correction with 11-16 Tokina may not be that easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am aware about the lens flare issues.
Are we talking about Chromatic Aberration or lens flare?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 12:29   #11984
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 327
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The price is quite competitive.

Though there may be increase due to Rupee sliding, I do not think so as the market is depressed and the Nikon offerings are decreasing in price.

If you are starting with DSLR and can increase your budget a bit then the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 lens is a better buy
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon-D3200
http://versus.com/en/canon-eos-1100d-vs-nikon-d3200
http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3200-...f-a4d0082e92f9
http://www.flipkart.com/canon-eos-11...f-49ccb15a52c6
As you can see that the Flipkart (for comparison only) prices are within 5 k, and you get lot more features.
I am quite stretching my budget while purchasing the 1100D and hence not looking at other SLR's. The prices may be 5k within the range but considering my limited usage and worthless knowledge does it make sense to invest more right at the start.

Also, the sales guy mentioned that 3100/3200 does not have some IS motor which the canon camera has, does it help for a noob like me?

Thanks a lot for replying!
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 12:38   #11985
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 230
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I am quite stretching my budget while purchasing the 1100D and hence not looking at other SLR's. The prices may be 5k within the range but considering my limited usage and worthless knowledge does it make sense to invest more right at the start.

Also, the sales guy mentioned that 3100/3200 does not have some IS motor which the canon camera has, does it help for a noob like me?

Thanks a lot for replying!
I'm too planning to get this; can u pl share the source and price?

Thanks
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks