Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 11:53   #12121
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

As per DXOmark the sensor of Canon 70D is behind that of D7100. 70D seems to be a great allrounder (stills + video + live view AF + fancy features) while D7100 retains its lead as the best crop-sensor camera for still IQ.

The wait for D400 continues. Either that or D800E or D7100.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:32   #12122
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 343
Thanked: 602 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi All,

I am here to ask a noobish question on selecting a DSLR. I hope to buy it anytime next month. I am new to DSLRs and I was earlier using a basic P&S. I had earlier intended to buy a Canon EOS 550d / 600d but after looking at Nikon D5100, it became my choice because it had better reviews in the web world. But now I have started looking out on Canon EOS 650d and Nikon D5200. I have almost like fixed on D5200 for the reason that it has better reviews again. I intend to use it for some extended time like 5-7 yrs by upgrading the lens alone.

If anyone can tell me I am on the right track, it will be great. Suggestion/comments/criticism welcome.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:36   #12123
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,786
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

I need the lowest price source for a Nikon 40mm f2.8 Micro (Macro) Lens for my D5200. Do let me know if anyone has information on the same. Thanks...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:41   #12124
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,786
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
But now I have started looking out on Canon EOS 650d and Nikon D5200.
You seem to be on the right track. Though 650D has now been replaced by 700D which is a better camera and the first ones around with a touchscreen. Each group (Nikon and Canon) has its own set of fanboys. I was always a Canon man but went in for the D5200. You have to choose the basic camera first with research because then you are stuck with it and will eventually be building a collection of lens around it. Nikon D7000 (now replaced by D7100) is also a good choice at nearly the same cost as a D5200 as it has a better mag alloy body though it is heavier too.

Bottomline: You should not go wrong with a D5200 as it is the winner of most reviews and shootouts worldwide and is the top prosumer SLR as on date.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:47   #12125
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,348
Thanked: 8,158 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
If anyone can tell me I am on the right track, it will be great. Suggestion/comments/criticism welcome.
If you are looking at 650D/700D, I would suggest 600D and spend the money saved on lenses. That would work out much better. The improvements to 650/700D over 600D I think are more on video, swivel screen etc rather than optics to a large extent.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:58   #12126
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,482 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
If anyone can tell me I am on the right track, it will be great. Suggestion/comments/criticism welcome.
Any reason why you are not considering mirrorless option?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:57   #12127
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Hi All,

I am here to ask a noobish question on selecting a DSLR. I hope to buy it anytime next month.
I would get the cheapest body to be found, and spend the rest on lenses/flashes, gradually. In Nikon, the d3100, with the 18-55 kit lens for starters, even new, is at a great price for performance point now . Keep it for a few years, and then, if necessary, upgrade the body keeping all other equipment in play. If you remain keen on photography then.

If you are into indoor pictures, the sb400 is a great flash for the money as well, with bounce capability. A 3100, 18-55 VR kit lens and the 400 can yield pictures that will be limited only by your capabilities for quite a while.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:26   #12128
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I had earlier intended to buy a Canon EOS 550d / 600d but after looking at Nikon D5100, it became my choice because it had better reviews in the web world.

I intend to use it for some extended time like 5-7 yrs by upgrading the lens alone.
Buddy, being in the middle east gives you source one cheaper than India for sure. As per my experience and interactions with photography friends, choice of Nikon or Canon is very subjective. Both makes good cameras. If you are not in a haste, try if you can experience both and decide on. Our buddy Vysakh uses Nikon, his feedbacks will help too. I shoot with Canon, more than happy to help being a beginner just like you.

If you are serious about photography, I doubt whether you can live with the same DSLR body for 5 - 7 years. You would upgrade for some new technology which will become handy for the type of photography you mature on . 3 years is a more relistic target usage.

Being a beginner, do not invest too much rather invest in what you actually need for maturing to an intermediate catagory. Then swap what you dislike with what you like better. Just my opinion.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:53   #12129
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I need the lowest price source for a Nikon 40mm f2.8 Micro (Macro) Lens for my D5200. Do let me know if anyone has information on the same. Thanks...
What's the best price you've got yet? Camshot price is 15,250/-. http://camshot.in/lens_fixed_nikon.html

@voyageur: You may also wait for a while. Read this: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/08/29/ru...-cameras.aspx/

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 3rd September 2013 at 16:04.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 09:41   #12130
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 343
Thanked: 602 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You seem to be on the right track. Though 650D has now been replaced by 700D which is a better camera and the first ones around with a touchscreen. Each group (Nikon and Canon) has its own set of fanboys. I was always a Canon man but went in for the D5200. You have to choose the basic camera first with research because then you are stuck with it and will eventually be building a collection of lens around it. Nikon D7000 (now replaced by D7100) is also a good choice at nearly the same cost as a D5200 as it has a better mag alloy body though it is heavier too.

Bottomline: You should not go wrong with a D5200 as it is the winner of most reviews and shootouts worldwide and is the top prosumer SLR as on date.
Hi Dkaile,

Thanks for the info mate, the last I can stretch my budget is D5200. Being a beginner I really don't want to spend a fortune on a DSLR. But being a Bhpian you can understand, how important it is. Of all the reviews I read, In canon 600d vs Nikon D5100, D5100 was the winner and same applies to D5200 over 650d (correct me if I am wrong). So I guess if things go right I must be aiming for D5200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are looking at 650D/700D, I would suggest 600D and spend the money saved on lenses. That would work out much better. The improvements to 650/700D over 600D I think are more on video, swivel screen etc rather than optics to a large extent.
Dear Ampere,

Thanks for the advise, I actually intend to buy Nikon D5200 if I aim at the class of 650D/700D for the reason that in a couple of websites I have read reviews of D5200 being better. I am totally new to DSLRs world and please correct me if I am wrong. Also if I intend to go for 600d range, I would still prefer D5100 because of the same above mentioned reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any reason why you are not considering mirrorless option?
I am totally clueless of mirrorless cams. If you can throw some light into the same, I will be grateful to you sam. But the reason why most of the people discard DSLR is that they need to take their time out to learn stuff and changing lens is hectic for them. I have no issues like that. I am open to learn and willing to spend time to make adjustments to get a good snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I would get the cheapest body to be found, and spend the rest on lenses/flashes, gradually. In Nikon, the d3100, with the 18-55 kit lens for starters, even new, is at a great price for performance point now . Keep it for a few years, and then, if necessary, upgrade the body keeping all other equipment in play. If you remain keen on photography then.

If you are into indoor pictures, the sb400 is a great flash for the money as well, with bounce capability. A 3100, 18-55 VR kit lens and the 400 can yield pictures that will be limited only by your capabilities for quite a while.
Thanks Sawyer for the advise, I hope I will be taking outdoor shots too, so that is the reason why I considered canon or nikon. The same went through my mind on buying a cheap body and investing on the lens. But then I had this another thought of buying a slightly better D5200 and using it for another 4-5 yrs with proper upgradation of lens. I was aiming something around Inr 45-50k mas when I stretched my budget. But I am still having a second thought on spending such a money on DSLR, when I am just a beginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Buddy, being in the middle east gives you source one cheaper than India for sure. As per my experience and interactions with photography friends, choice of Nikon or Canon is very subjective. Both makes good cameras. If you are not in a haste, try if you can experience both and decide on. Our buddy Vysakh uses Nikon, his feedbacks will help too. I shoot with Canon, more than happy to help being a beginner just like you.

If you are serious about photography, I doubt whether you can live with the same DSLR body for 5 - 7 years. You would upgrade for some new technology which will become handy for the type of photography you mature on . 3 years is a more relistic target usage.

Being a beginner, do not invest too much rather invest in what you actually need for maturing to an intermediate catagory. Then swap what you dislike with what you like better. Just my opinion.
Hey Jacs, How are you man ? Thanks for your words of support as usual. I have been constantly disturbing vaishak on the same. He is a Nikon fan and he suggested me D5100. He is our photography guru anyways. In middle east too there is not so much of difference in the price of DSLR, but if there is some event like DSF or Gitex then things would be different. I am waiting for the Gitex which will be held next month.

I also really dont want to spend much on DSLR, since I am just a beginner. My intentions to buy a D5200 or 650d/700d was because then I wouldn't need to upgrade the body for like 4-5 years. But you rightly pointed out the fact that technology improves every single minute. Every single review of D5200 says its absolute vfm product. I was astonished by the reviews that I even planned of streching my budget.

Your suggestions are welcome man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
What's the best price you've got yet? Camshot price is 15,250/-. http://camshot.in/lens_fixed_nikon.html

@voyageur: You may also wait for a while. Read this: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/08/29/ru...-cameras.aspx/
Thanks Ajay for the link, but my budget is strictly limited and I believe D5300 will any day cost more than D5200.

Last edited by voyageur : 4th September 2013 at 09:43.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 09:48   #12131
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,482 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I am totally clueless of mirrorless cams. If you can throw some light into the same, I will be grateful to you sam. But the reason why most of the people discard DSLR is that they need to take their time out to learn stuff and changing lens is hectic for them. I have no issues like that. I am open to learn and willing to spend time to make adjustments to get a good snap
Mirrorless cameras are functionally same as dSLR, but much smaller in size. Many dSLR owners have been moving into mirrorless these days. Check our mirrorless thread in the same section.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 09:59   #12132
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Thanks Sawyer for the advise, I hope I will be taking outdoor shots too, so that is the reason why I considered canon or nikon. The same went through my mind on buying a cheap body and investing on the lens. But then I had this another thought of buying a slightly better D5200 and using it for another 4-5 yrs with proper upgradation of lens. I was aiming something around Inr 45-50k mas when I stretched my budget. But I am still having a second thought on spending such a money on DSLR, when I am just a beginner.
A 3100 with the 18-55 kit lens, and a sb400 flash will set you back by around 31k. That to my mind is the best use of 31k at this time. Obviously, you can spend more, but at a beginner stage, a 3100 is more than good enough for some years. With some experience, you can decide on lens addition, still without breaking the 50k limit - you might even get a couple of prime lenses within that total budget that will last through subsequent body changes. The extra capability afforded by the lenses is of more picture taking value that spending more on a more expensive body up front. The thing to remember is that while manufacturers bring in newer models every 12-18 months, improvements that translate into better visible picture quality take 5-6 years, maybe more, to come about - it is a process of evolution now, not revolution, notwithstanding the fancy marketing. The irony is that even bodies like the 3100 are capably of 50k pictures - most people never touch that limit in their hurry to upgrade, and leave a lot of value unused, succumbing to upgraditis.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 14:55   #12133
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 343
Thanked: 602 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Mirrorless cameras are functionally same as dSLR, but much smaller in size. Many dSLR owners have been moving into mirrorless these days. Check our mirrorless thread in the same section.
Thanks sam Will surely go through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A 3100 with the 18-55 kit lens, and a sb400 flash will set you back by around 31k. That to my mind is the best use of 31k at this time. Obviously, you can spend more, but at a beginner stage, a 3100 is more than good enough for some years. With some experience, you can decide on lens addition, still without breaking the 50k limit - you might even get a couple of prime lenses within that total budget that will last through subsequent body changes. The extra capability afforded by the lenses is of more picture taking value that spending more on a more expensive body up front. The thing to remember is that while manufacturers bring in newer models every 12-18 months, improvements that translate into better visible picture quality take 5-6 years, maybe more, to come about - it is a process of evolution now, not revolution, notwithstanding the fancy marketing. The irony is that even bodies like the 3100 are capably of 50k pictures - most people never touch that limit in their hurry to upgrade, and leave a lot of value unused, succumbing to upgraditis.
Its so true that we don't use up all the feautres of our camera. Its really true. Even if I buy 3100 or 3200 or a EOS 600D, I will be still in the learning phase taking basic pics. So if I buy something good in that range, I can concentrate more on lens. Thanks mate. One of my earlier doubts were Canon or Nikon but now I have realized both are almost equal.

When I saw you write A 3100, I mistook it for powershot a3100
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:07   #12134
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Thanks sam Will surely go through it.



Its so true that we don't use up all the feautres of our camera. Its really true. Even if I buy 3100 or 3200 or a EOS 600D, I will be still in the learning phase taking basic pics. So if I buy something good in that range, I can concentrate more on lens. Thanks mate. One of my earlier doubts were Canon or Nikon but now I have realized both are almost equal.

When I saw you write A 3100, I mistook it for powershot a3100
I'd second Sawyer here with the recommendation. But I'd suggest Nikon 5100 instead. 5100 + 18-55 lens + SB400 will still cost you less than 35k. The difference in price between 3100 and 5100 is not much but 5100 has the same high quality sensor as D7000 so its a good deal.

Am I confusing you even more or what BTW, I use a mirrorless (Olypmus OM-D) just like Samurai.

Last edited by joslicx : 4th September 2013 at 16:08.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:47   #12135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Am I confusing you even more or what
That's what I was trying to avoid - talk of the 5100 and someone would say that the 3200 at the same price is the better deal!
All good cameras, but the sensible way is to define a budget and live within it.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 128 26th June 2015 20:49
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks