Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th November 2013, 14:46   #12331
BHPian

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We don't go unconventional for the sake of it, but we are attracted by some unique feature set and VFM. I have a petrol SUV, run a software company in a village, use Olympus gear... none of them I regret.
I have a diesel MUV (SUV for me), used to be a Software Professional, quit to set up a Music Studio and use Olympus gear.....out of which i regret only the third one.

....doesn't mean that my skills have outgrown the current gear.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 14:50   #12332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
and use Olympus gear.....out of which i regret only the third one.

....doesn't mean that my skills have outgrown the current gear.

-- Torqy
What other lenses did you buy other than the kit lens?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 14:55   #12333
BHPian

Quote:
What other lenses did you buy other than the kit lens?
I have the Twin Lens Kit. Body + 17.5-45mm + 40-150mm.
Didn't buy anything after that......not even a 50mm.
For sometime i drooled at 50-200, 12-60.....and then E-5.

-- Torqy
Old 24th November 2013, 15:33   #12334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the Twin Lens Kit. Body + 17.5-45mm + 40-150mm.
Didn't buy anything after that......not even a 50mm.
For sometime i drooled at 50-200, 12-60.....and then E-5.

-- Torqy
See... you never owned any high grade lens, not even the 14-54mm that I use as my walkaround lens on e-500. The 40-140mm was my only non-high grade and which I use the least. You can't judge a dSLR family while using only their budget lenses. I had the 12-60, 50-200mm and 50mm, which are considered among the finest lenses ever made (according to DPreview).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPreview
The Olympus Zuiko Digital 50mm F2.0 Macro is a lens which we've held in high regard ever since we started using it for our reviews of Four Thirds camera bodies, and subjecting it to our full optical test suite shows precisely why. Certainly in terms of the studio results, it's the nearest we've yet found to a technically perfect lens (although it's important to appreciate that we haven't yet tested any comparable short tele macros for other formats). It's impressively sharp right across the frame even wide open, shows no significant lateral chromatic aberration or vignetting, and is near-perfectly corrected for distortion. Real world results not only bear this out, but also show that the lens maintains image quality across the entire focus distance range, making it suitable for macro, portraits and general-purpose short telephoto use alike - no mean feat at all. And in design terms it's compact and reasonably lightweight, yet solidly build and weatherproofed, providing a combination of features unmatched by any other manufacturer.

So in summary we have a lens which, despite its design flaws, offers a winning combination of optical quality and solid build in a compact package. The greatest strength of the Four Thirds system undoubtedly lies in the optics, and the 50mm F2.0 macro ranks alongside the likes of the Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD as one of the finest lenses of its type currently available from any manufacturer.
Source: Olympus Zuiko Digital 50mm F2.0 Macro Lens Review: 4. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPreview
Of course the 12-60mm has a hard act to follow, as the spiritual successor to the highly regarded 14-54mm F2.8-3.5, which was the standard kit lens for the E-1.

Indeed the Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD is quite simply a superb lens, which can lay claim to being one of the very best standard zooms currently available. This is a design which would have been almost unimaginable even five years ago; a 5x wideangle to telephoto zoom which, though the use of some exotic optics, manages to perform almost flawlessly across its entire range, and throws in some impressive macro performance too.

Indeed Olympus have managed to surpass the already excellent 14-54mm with a lens which is demonstrably sharper at all focal lengths and generally shows less chromatic aberration, whilst extending the range at both ends.
Source: Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
In addition to this, they also have super high grade lenses, which most us can't afford anyway. I wonder how those lenses performed...
Old 24th November 2013, 15:50   #12335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

You call Sony/Oly users unconventional then what would you call Pentax users like me?
The Pentax K3 is droolworthy, apart from the AF system (as per reviews). I am hoping it forces Canikon to pull up their socks regarding the 7D Mk2 and D400.

For wildlife shooters it is difficult to look beyond Canikon for multiple reasons. Autofocus, long lens ecosystem, renting...

On a separate note: as per Thom Hogan, only Canon and Nikon have profitable camera divisions. Rest all are losing money - Sony, Ricoh, Olympus. Hope R&D spend doesn't decrease for the industry overall. Bad for us consumers.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 15:58   #12336
BHPian

Quote:
See... you never owned any high grade lens, not even the 14-54mm that I use as my walkaround lens on e-500. The 40-140mm was my only non-high grade and which I use the least. You can't judge a dSLR family while using only their budget lenses. I had the 12-60, 50-200mm and 50mm, which are considered among the finest lenses ever made (according to DPreview).
Yes, exactly why i don't own any of them. I figured (too late) that their better lenses (f2.8 or bigger) are all out of reach. I love available light. But my E-500 demanded ideal light conditions always and disappointed me with the ISO. Then i read about E-5....but the uncertainty about Four Thirds and the un-affordability put me off.

I should've done my homework.....never had that habit anyway.

-- Torqy
Old 24th November 2013, 17:46   #12337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I love available light. But my E-500 demanded ideal light conditions always and disappointed me with the ISO.
Well, that's exactly why I switched to OMD-EM5 and sub F/2 lenses.

Now I mostly shoot lowlight photographs without flash. Check this series: http://samurai.smugmug.com/Travel/Ja...ood-Experience

I have not used flash or tripod in the above album.
Old 24th November 2013, 18:29   #12338
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to barge in: I bought a Nikon FE as my first SLR, and picked up a couple (actually three) lenses from the photographer from whom I had bought it. Most of the equipment has been manufactured before/around my birth. And it still works good.

After a year and a half maybe, I went for a used D40 (from one of the TBHP members) and got a kit lens with it. The best thing is the D40 takes all my manual lenses, although I have to set it to manual-everything mode. Except when I am shooting sports or moving objects, I don't need the autofocus much - and I don't shoot sports.

Just because the D40 can take almost any Nikon lens, I could hunt for used manual lenses and get some good ones at a bargain. If I ever went away from either Nikon or Cannon to Olympus or Pentax or Sony, I am not sure there would be used lenses available at all. The cost of assembling a good kit over a period of time would simply be too much.

So if you want to use different lenses and don't want to spend a fortune on it, it would make sense to stick to the two big brands in the camera industry.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:24   #12339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
So if you want to use different lenses and don't want to spend a fortune on it, it would make sense to stick to the two big brands in the camera industry.
Why don't you go a step forward? If you are ok with manual mode, you can connect any Canon/Nikon/Sony lenses to 4/3 or m4/3 bodies using adopters.
Old 24th November 2013, 20:06   #12340
BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's exactly why I switched to OMD-EM5 and sub F/2 lenses.

Now I mostly shoot lowlight photographs without flash. Check this series: http://samurai.smugmug.com/Travel/Ja...ood-Experience

I have not used flash or tripod in the above album.
Nice pics @Samurai.
I got a chance to use a 7D with 85mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 2.8......and fell in love.

Old 24th November 2013, 22:42   #12341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you go a step forward? If you are ok with manual mode, you can connect any Canon/Nikon/Sony lenses to 4/3 or m4/3 bodies using adopters.
Right now getting the adapters would be an additional hassle I don't have to undertake. Not that you aren't right, but it's just a bit easier.
Old 24th November 2013, 23:48   #12342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Pentax K3 is droolworthy, apart from the AF system (as per reviews). I am hoping it forces Canikon to pull up their socks regarding the 7D Mk2 and D400.

For wildlife shooters it is difficult to look beyond Canikon for multiple reasons. Autofocus, long lens ecosystem, renting...
For us Pentax users the AF system of K-3 has vastly improved from current K-mount cameras. Probably not in the league of Nikon, but definitely on par with Canon. I myself don't shoot that much wildlife, so I'm fine with this drawback. Plus with photos like this I keep reminding myself that skill is more important than the equipment .

The DSLR Thread-20130609coyotehills0121-copy.jpg

I was planning to upgrade my humble old K-x to K-3 this year but I'm already out of my gadget budget for the year.

Last edited by Gandhi : 24th November 2013 at 23:53.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 23:57   #12343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Plus with photos like this I keep reminding myself that skill is more important than the equipment .
The eternal truth and something many of us find hard to accept.

As the famous Birbal story goes the best camera is the one you have with you at the moment. Once the moment passes a better camera too couldn't help you capture it.
Old 25th November 2013, 06:41   #12344
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I started to build my gear with the following specs and I'm looking for suggestion for essentials that I need to carry in my kit bag. (list anything you believe, grip - lens that will value add my kit).
Note: I'm planning to do a documentary hence video is another important thing that I would like to achieve.

Currently owned:
Canon 5D Mark II (loaded magic lantern)
Canon 17-40mm F/4 L USM
Canon Speedlite 550EX
SanDisk - Extreme 32GB CompactFlash
Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG

Wish list:
Canon EF 300mm L IS F/4
Zeiss or Canon EF 50MM F/1.4
Canon EF 85mm L F/1.2 II
Atomos Ninja-2
Rode RTG-3 Microphone
TASCAM DR-60D (least priority)
Glidecam hd 4000 steadycam with stabilizer vest
Sennheiser EW100 / SK100 Wireless Microphone Sender/Receiver - Suggest me what frequencies are accepted in India and any particular model to look.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 13:33   #12345
Senior - BHPian

I am mot sure if you should at all go for a DSLR for a video documentary.

Just one suggestion: have a few memory cards ready. Depending on the circumstances you may shoot a lot of footage and may not have ready access to a PC to edit it. This also depends on the size of the video file created by the cam and the resolution used.