Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:57   #1231
BHPian
 
TSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 214
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

@abhijitaparadh: My friend uses his sigma macro lens (105/2.8) for portraits. But his lens tends to hunt for focus a lot. He eventually ends up in focussing manually. Try the Marco lens before you buy it.
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 20:04   #1232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 194
Thanked: 21 Times
Default RE: 70-200 L f/2.8

i had gone to palika bazaar last week and this camera and lenses shop was selling the 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 for Rs. 85000. he claimed the lense is brand new.

At 85k is it possible that the lense is brand new or would it be a refurbished one that he's selling?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:58   #1233
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default

At 85k you should be able to get that lens with warranty.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:52   #1234
BHPian
 
nishad.hameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Eos 400d Package Need Comments

Hi Friends,

I have been offered 35.5K for the below package. Need your comments on the deal...

Six months old Canon EOS 400D with

1. Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
2. Tamaron 75-300mm f4-5.6 standard zoom telephoto lens
3. Wide angle auto focus lens
4. 2X Telephoto Auto focus lens
5. Power auto digital flash clip-on and slave
6. 58mm 3 Filters Kit(UV - Polarizer - FDL)
7. 4GB Memory Card + Reader
8. Lens Cleaning Kit
9. LCD Protector
10. Magic Lantern DVD Video Tutorial
nishad.hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:23   #1235
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,633
Thanked: 7,169 Times
Default

I think its a good deal if its 6 months old (hope seller has some documentation to prove this), though you might want to wait for experts to comment. Also is this a B&W piece originally.

Do a thorough check before money changes hands.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:40   #1236
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Paalika is suspect. Go to Chandini Chowk camera bazaar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
i had gone to palika bazaar last week and this camera and lenses shop was selling the 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 for Rs. 85000. he claimed the lense is brand new.

At 85k is it possible that the lense is brand new or would it be a refurbished one that he's selling?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 19:26   #1237
BHPian
 
nishad.hameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 14 Times
Default which telephoto lense?

have a choice of below lenses... almost at the same price tag. which one is the best?

1. EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens
2. Tamaron 75-300mm f4-5.6 Standard Zoom Telephoto Lens
nishad.hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:37   #1238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Post Get 55-250 IS or 70-300 IS Instead.

Canon without any doubts. But I doubt how could they be priced similarly. The Tammy is a 125$ lens where as Canon 75-300 sells for close to double the price of the same. And at the same time, I am not sure if the Canon copy is still in production. Get Canon 75-300 IS if possible. You will be stretching the budget, but for a newbie, you will capture better pictures.

If you absolutely insist, read this review first. Get 55-250 in the same budget which takes much better pictures than the 75-300. You may also get better resale value if you want to sell the 55-250.

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
have a choice of below lenses... almost at the same price tag. which one is the best?

1. EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens
2. Tamaron 75-300mm f4-5.6 Standard Zoom Telephoto Lens
PS : TSK - I initially did confuse myself with the original 70-300 & 75-300 offerings from Canon. But my recommendations still holds good for either 70-300 IS which is close to 400+ $$ or 55-250.

Last edited by given2fly : 6th July 2009 at 14:57.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:43   #1239
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,910
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default

I think you are confusing canon 70-300 wth 75-300
Canon 70-300 = Good
Canon 75-300 = Average lens retailing for 7000rs in india, and around 140$ in the US
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:01   #1240
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,974
Thanked: 822 Times
Default

There is a Nikon D 70 FS for sale near my place, The guy is a photographer, he has taken a lot of marriage pics with it, is about 3 years old, has a kit lens and has an extra 300(not very sure) lens that comes along. The cosmetic condition is not that bad, and takes good pics as well, is it a good buy considering the fetures and age.

How much should i quote? And the max amount i should pay for this one, in case i decide to go for it.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 14:39   #1241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

First thing, what is the shutter count. Usually the entry-level DSLRs have a shutter life of 50K - 100K pictures. D70 was an entry level one so I reckon he must have hit close to 20-30K pics. In that case, it may not be worth buying for even less than half the MRP of it. Plus this guy was a wedding photographer, so he may have traveled to far places and may be not well-treated as much as a hobbyist would do.

Still get the quote, the shutter count, the add-on lens info and post it here. We may be able to help you get a right price for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
There is a Nikon D 70 FS for sale near my place, The guy is a photographer, he has taken a lot of marriage pics with it, is about 3 years old, has a kit lens and has an extra 300(not very sure) lens that comes along. The cosmetic condition is not that bad, and takes good pics as well, is it a good buy considering the fetures and age.

How much should i quote? And the max amount i should pay for this one, in case i decide to go for it.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:38   #1242
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,227
Thanked: 13,948 Times
Default

DPreview has given big thumbs-up to Olympus E-620. It has good high ISO performance too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPreview.com
The Four Thirds range has tended to lag a fraction behind the best contemporary APS-C sensor-size DSLRs in terms of absolute performance but make up some of the difference with excellent lenses, feature-packed specifications, and lower sticker prices. This isn't the case with the E-620 - however you look at it, it's up there with the best of them. It doesn't offer the video recording capabilities of some of its contemporaries, but as a dedicated stills camera, it's a pretty compelling package. Built-in Image Stabilization gives it an edge over its rivals if you're buying additional lenses.
Olympus E-620 Review: 31. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 07:16   #1243
BHPian
 
nishad.hameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 14 Times
Default the lenses are used

[quote=given2fly;1372606]Canon without any doubts. But I doubt how could they be priced similarly.


both the lenses are used. that might be the reason for this kind of pricing.
nishad.hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 09:54   #1244
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,974
Thanked: 822 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
First thing, what is the shutter count. Usually the entry-level DSLRs have a shutter life of 50K - 100K pictures. D70 was an entry level one so I reckon he must have hit close to 20-30K pics. In that case, it may not be worth buying for even less than half the MRP of it. Plus this guy was a wedding photographer, so he may have traveled to far places and may be not well-treated as much as a hobbyist would do.

Still get the quote, the shutter count, the add-on lens info and post it here. We may be able to help you get a right price for it.

I have to quote a price to him.

I have read this article before posting this question.

10 things to test before buying a used DSLR | All Day I Dream About Photography
.I need this cam to learn some photography as well, the guy said he will only sell if the price is right, so when i asked him his expectation, he said he does not know. I thought it would be better to ask you guys how much should i quote.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 11:43   #1245
BHPian
 
d_payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 122
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
Hi Friends,

I have been offered 35.5K for the below package. Need your comments on the deal...

Six months old Canon EOS 400D with

1. Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
2. Tamaron 75-300mm f4-5.6 standard zoom telephoto lens
3. Wide angle auto focus lens
4. 2X Telephoto Auto focus lens
5. Power auto digital flash clip-on and slave
6. 58mm 3 Filters Kit(UV - Polarizer - FDL)
7. 4GB Memory Card + Reader
8. Lens Cleaning Kit
9. LCD Protector
10. Magic Lantern DVD Video Tutorial
Let's see:

1. Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Rs. 3000 (used, non-IS)
2. Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 standard zoom telephoto lens - Rs.7000 (used, non-IS)
3. Wide angle auto focus lens - What the hell is this?
4. 2X Telephoto Auto focus lens - What the hell is this, a tele-converter?
5. Power auto digital flash clip-on and slave - more details about this?
6. 58mm 3 Filters Kit(UV - Polarizer - FDL) - what brand? If generic, then not more than Rs.500
7. 4GB Memory Card + Reader - what brand and class? If not Extreme III, then not more than Rs.700
8. Lens Cleaning Kit - Rs.500
9. LCD Protector - Rs.300
10. Magic Lantern DVD Video Tutorial - Free

So total amount for accessories (minus Wide-angle AF and 2X Telephoto) is maximum Rs.12,000.

So he is selling you an used 400D body (10MP sensor) for Rs.23.5k, and Rs.26.5k for the Body + non-IS kitlens

New 1000D comes for Rs.29.5k (b+w) even if you don't look around, with IS kit-lens. That means you're paying only 3k lesser and losing out on a new camera, liveview, sensor-cleaning system, IS lens.

Not worth it.

Please explain what an wide-angle AF and 2X telephoto lenses are. A 2X teleconverter is useless on the 70-300mm IMO, it'll make the f5.6 300mm to 600mm f11! Useless in most circumstances - especially without IS.

Cheers!
Payne
d_payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks