Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 23:02   #12511
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks. I noticed that later :-)
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 07:21   #12512
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Looking for recommendations for Nikon d610, for portraits with good bokeh. I have the 85mm 1.8g, so I am looking for at least 105mm, but not more than 135mm.
The 105/135 f2 DC lenses look very tempting, but Camshot advises me that they are very tricky to use. One option is the 105 2.8, but I am not into micro, and it may not offer much more than my 85/1.8G.
Which leaves third party possibilities. Any recommendations? What are the downsides of these in the area of AF and TTL flash compatibility?
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:56   #12513
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Picked up the 610 with the 105 2.8 micro. Works very well, but it is a big and heavy lens, and the VR is noisy as it clicks in and out! The kit zoom that comes with the 610 also works quite well, even if not as good as the primes. The 610 offers a very easy upgrade from the d7000, with a very well thought out Auto ISO feature that takes into account lens focal lengths for minimum speed settings.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd February 2014 at 16:58.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 17:42   #12514
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Picked up the 610 with the 105 2.8 micro. Works very well, but it is a big and heavy lens, and the VR is noisy as it clicks in and out! The kit zoom that comes with the 610 also works quite well, even if not as good as the primes. The 610 offers a very easy upgrade from the d7000, with a very well thought out Auto ISO feature that takes into account lens focal lengths for minimum speed settings.
Ahh ... I was going to advise you to look for a used 80-200mm f/2.8D. The 105mm is a superb macro lens and works very well for portraits. Do let me know how your 610 is doing. I bought one recently and it is a such a step up from my D7000 in terms of IQ that I am kicking myself for not having shifted to the FX bandwagon earlier. I use the following for portraits apart from the 80-200,

1. The Tokina 100mm f/2.8
2. The Tamron 180mm f/3.5
3. The 85mm f/1.8 D
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 18:29   #12515
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Early days with the 610, but I don't find to be a huge step up. I was getting pretty good results from the d7000, with primes. The benefit seems to be the larger viewfinder, and ability to exploit shallower DOF, which can be double edged. High ISO pictures do look a lot better though.
I have kept the d7000, so in case of need the 105 2.8 becomes a 160 2.8. And the 85 1.8 does 130 1.8 things. And moving back and forth between the two bodies is very easy, given how similar the control layouts are.
The kit zoom is fine for general use where some compromise with IQ is an acceptable trade off for its benefits.

Last edited by Sawyer : 24th February 2014 at 18:31.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 09:07   #12516
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

For Nikon users, the three 1.8G primes - 35, 50 and 85 are excellent value and very high quality. The 85 is expensive, but great value compared to the 1.4.
The 35 is a DX lens, but even so it gives reasonably good results with FX bodies. Some light fall off in the corners, but not so much that it can't be used. The 50 and 85 are FX lenses, and prices need to be seen in that context.
As long as one isn't looking for real telephoto/ultra wide capabilities, the best value glass in the extensive Nikon lens line up, an opinion reinforced while using the 610.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 10:48   #12517
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For Nikon users, the three 1.8G primes - 35, 50 and 85 are excellent value and very high quality. The 85 is expensive, but great value compared to the 1.4.
The 35 is a DX lens, but even so it gives reasonably good results with FX bodies. Some light fall off in the corners, but not so much that it can't be used. The 50 and 85 are FX lenses, and prices need to be seen in that context.
As long as one isn't looking for real telephoto/ultra wide capabilities, the best value glass in the extensive Nikon lens line up, an opinion reinforced while using the 610.
Nikon has released the new 35mmF1.8 for FX recently, so now you have complete f1.8 trinity for FX sensors.
http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...-35mm-f1-8g-ed
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 13:41   #12518
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Finally Nikon goes Public with D4S

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35835234.html
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 16:44   #12519
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have kept the d7000, so in case of need the 105 2.8 becomes a 160 2.8. And the 85 1.8 does 130 1.8 things..
Small correction, they would effectively be 160mm f4.x (approx) and 130mm f2.8 (approx) respectively in a crop sensor (1.5x) with respect to full frame equivalent. As the crop sensor changes, not only the angle of view changes but also the depth of field would change.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 17:37   #12520
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

No. The light they let in would be the same, and so would the depth of field. DOF only changes if you want to step in closer with a FX body to get the same framing as the crop sensor body with the same lens, and the DOF change is because of the different distance to the subject, not because of sensor size.
Only change is in the angle of view.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 18:47   #12521
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
No. The light they let in would be the same, and so would the depth of field. DOF only changes if you want to step in closer with a FX body to get the same framing as the crop sensor body with the same lens, and the DOF change is because of the different distance to the subject, not because of sensor size.
Only change is in the angle of view.
So you mean to say that a photograph (with same composition) would have same DOF if shot with a 105mm f2.8 lens on a crop sensor and 160mm f2.8 on a FF? I'm not sure if that is how it would be. As your sensor size decreases, your effective DOF also increases compared to full frame. So I think, a 105mm f2.8 lens's photograph on crop sensor would not have the same DOF as 160mm 2.8 lens on FF. What will happen if I replace your 1.5x crop with a 2x mirroless and a 52mm f2.8 lens? Or to go to extreme, if I replace with a P&S sensor and equivalent lens at f2.8? What would happen if I replace the camera to a Large Format?
I'm getting confused in this Circle of Confusion
Regards,
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 19:23   #12522
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
So you mean to say that a photograph (with same composition) would have same DOF if shot with a 105mm f2.8 lens on a crop sensor and 160mm f2.8 on a FF?
I'm getting confused in this Circle of Confusion
Regards,
Quite a common, this confusion!
If you wanted the same composition with different bodies with a given lens, you would have to be at different distances from the subject. The different distances would be the reason for the different DOF. Getting closer would make the DOF shallower.
If you are to stand in the same place, different angles of view on the two bodies/sensors would mean different composition, but the same DOF.
In the example cited by you, again the DOF would be different, because you are using different lenses to get the same composition at the same distance. Not because the sensors are different.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 19:39   #12523
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Quite a common, this confusion!
He he yeah, very common but never clearly understood by most.

Quote:
If you wanted the same composition with different bodies with a given lens, you would have to be at different distances from the subject. The different distances would be the reason for the different DOF. Getting closer would make the DOF shallower.
If you are to stand in the same place, different angles of view on the two bodies/sensors would mean different composition, but the same DOF.
I'm not even talking about the same lens, as you've mentioned you'll have 160mm 2.8 equivalent of full frame with 105mm 2.8 on a dx body, I just merely pointed out that it's not same as having a 160mm 2.8 on Full Frame.

Quote:
In the example cited by you, again the DOF would be different, because you are using different lenses to get the same composition at the same distance. Not because the sensors are different.
So that itself means that your equivalent or effective lens ain't the same anymore, neither the DoF is same even though you have equivalent focal length. That's precisely the point I was trying to make.
Regards,
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 20:02   #12524
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I'm not even talking about the same lens, as you've mentioned you'll have 160mm 2.8 equivalent of full frame with 105mm 2.8 on a dx body, I just merely pointed out that it's not same as having a 160mm 2.8 on Full Frame.
Yes and no. In terms of filling the frame for distant objects in the same manner as the 160mm on FX will, and maximum aperture available for shooting, it is the same. Safe handholding speeds will also be the same.
DOF will not be as shallow, obviously, so no, to that extent only.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 20:34   #12525
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

The above highlights one of the features of the FX format - the ability to throw more of the background out of focus. Along with a large viewfinder. Sensor quality too, but DX sensors are so good these days, that except at higher ISOs, they hold their own quite well.
Indeed, at its current price, a d7000 is a great buy now, with a very high quality sensor, tough build and abundant on body controls compared to the d3xxx and d5xxx bodies. Built in AF motor, and commander function for the built in flash make for an excellent camera, even a year after the d7100 was launched.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks