Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:50   #12811
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,065
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

One query: I have one 35mm 1.8g lens bought at 7700. I was planning to return it (yet unopened), but seeing the current prices of the lens - mostly at 8.5k everywhere), I am in two minds whether to send it back and get money refunded, or to keep it. I don't need it right now, but can surely see its use in future, so I may have to buy it then.

What would you do in such case? Keep the lens gotten at a good price, or buy it later parhaps costlier when you may need it most?

Last edited by ani_meher : 3rd June 2014 at 15:55.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 09:45   #12812
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 807 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

^^ I guess you are referring to the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 g DX lens. This is worth for every rupee you have spent for this lens. This is awesome in many way that it can even blow out lenses which cost more than 50k. My suggestion would be to retain this.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 11:43   #12813
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Default Sigma 150-500mm

Just received Sigma 150-500mm. It came with a carrying case, lens hood, front & rear caps and a couple of straps [one for the case and the other to be used with the Tripod. It is very heavy and huge. The lens itself is close to 2 kg.

Some pictures, clicked using my iPhone 4S. Using the iPhone camera for the first time, after having purchased it a couple of years ago.

The DSLR Thread-3.jpg

The DSLR Thread-6.jpg
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 11:51   #12814
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Sigma 150-500mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Just received Sigma 150-500mm. It came with a carrying case, lens hood, front & rear caps and a couple of straps [one for the case and the other to be used with the Tripod. It is very heavy and huge. The lens itself is close to 2 kg.

.....
Congrats. I sure it would terrify anyone, who is not into photography .
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:16   #12815
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 1,130 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
^^ I guess you are referring to the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 g DX lens. This is worth for every rupee you have spent for this lens. This is awesome in many way that it can even blow out lenses which cost more than 50k. My suggestion would be to retain this.
I agree, a great little lens to learn on a DX format, and to grow up with. It can even be used as a quality 35mm lens on FX bodies for indoor work where the little vignetting is not noticeable.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 22:15   #12816
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 807 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have a D70, which I want to sell as I have D300 and now D3300. Please PM me if interested.

The D70 is much better than D40 as it has a motor in the body, which allows you to use relatively less expensive; but equally good; D lenses.
Sorry for delayed reply. Somehow missed your post. My friend is keen on D40 because of its light weight. The search is still on and surprisingly we couldn't find one yet.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 00:37   #12817
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 298
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, need your help. I am a complete novice when it comes to camera, though I would like to change that one step a time. First step being, buying a DSLR camera around 30k (25k-35k actually).

Need your valuable suggestions on which camera I should go for.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:24   #12818
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,374
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
First step being, buying a DSLR camera around 30k (25k-35k actually).
Canon 1200D (29k)
or
Nikon D3300 (34k)

Both are pretty good cameras. I would go with D3300 since 1200D does not have sport metering. Or you can buy 1200D and spend rest of the money on a better lens.

Can't go wrong with either for entry level DSLR.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:29   #12819
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,383 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Need your valuable suggestions on which camera I should go for.
Do you plan to seriously get into photogrpahy? Because if yes, its possible that you might outgrow the entry level DSLRs very soon. I would say check out D5200. Its about 37K with the kit lens.It will hold its own for some time.

You can then take your time to learn with kit lens and then slowly decide and plan for what other lens you want to buy.

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2014 at 09:30.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:34   #12820
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,065
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, need your help. I am a complete novice when it comes to camera, though I would like to change that one step a time. First step being, buying a DSLR camera around 30k (25k-35k actually).

Need your valuable suggestions on which camera I should go for.
I too support above post, buy a Nikon D5200. I did not try the D3xxx series, but the canon 1xxx series felt definitely lower than D5200. Luck and patience would get you a price within 35k for kit lens + body + 4/8 gb card + bag.

What camera are you currently using? Do you know about PSAM modes? If not, start reading, otherwise it will be overwhelming to even hold the camera in hand. Though the D5200 clicks wonderful shots in Auto as well, the modes give you superb control over the picture.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 11:08   #12821
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 503
Thanked: 335 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, need your help. I am a complete novice when it comes to camera, though I would like to change that one step a time. First step being, buying a DSLR camera around 30k (25k-35k actually).

Need your valuable suggestions on which camera I should go for.
IF you are not very serious about photography and if your usage is very occasional , you can rent cameras and lenses depending on the availability. It is a never ending expense, but fortunately all the equipment can be rented. Buy a good body with kit lens instead of a very entry level camera. You can always rent lenses when you need them. I would say D5200 is a good choice to begin with.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 13:01   #12822
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 298
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Canon 1200D (29k)
or
Nikon D3300 (34k)

Both are pretty good cameras. I would go with D3300 since 1200D does not have sport metering. Or you can buy 1200D and spend rest of the money on a better lens.

Can't go wrong with either for entry level DSLR.
Thanks Netfreak. I will look into these cameras. If possible, could you please detail on sport metering. I am hearing this term for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you plan to seriously get into photogrpahy? Because if yes, its possible that you might outgrow the entry level DSLRs very soon. I would say check out D5200. Its about 37K with the kit lens.It will hold its own for some time.

You can then take your time to learn with kit lens and then slowly decide and plan for what other lens you want to buy.
Yes ampere. Not in the full fledged manner though, at least for the moment. Operating a DSLR camera with its various modes is a little more complex than what I had anticipated. The D5200 comes to 37.5k with 18-55 lens in Flipkart. I should probably read up a little more on DSLR before picking up a camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I too support above post, buy a Nikon D5200. I did not try the D3xxx series, but the canon 1xxx series felt definitely lower than D5200. Luck and patience would get you a price within 35k for kit lens + body + 4/8 gb card + bag.

What camera are you currently using? Do you know about PSAM modes? If not, start reading, otherwise it will be overwhelming to even hold the camera in hand. Though the D5200 clicks wonderful shots in Auto as well, the modes give you superb control over the picture.
Thanks ani_meher. I currently use a sony coolpix but have been wanting to get my hands on a DSLR for sometime now especially for its modes.

What is the difference between D5100 and D5200? There is a price difference of about 8-9k between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
IF you are not very serious about photography and if your usage is very occasional , you can rent cameras and lenses depending on the availability. It is a never ending expense, but fortunately all the equipment can be rented. Buy a good body with kit lens instead of a very entry level camera. You can always rent lenses when you need them. I would say D5200 is a good choice to begin with.
I probably wont end up doing professional photography, but I want to see how far I will go with this. I understand its not the camera but the person behind it that makes good photographs, but having a better camera has its own advantages, right? I will check out 5200 and as you mentioned, I can always rent lenses if required. Thanks for your inputs.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 13:05   #12823
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,383 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I understand its not the camera but the person behind it that makes good photographs, but having a better camera has its own advantages, right? I will check out 5200 and as you mentioned, I can always rent lenses if required. Thanks for your inputs.
Agreed. But you should also not endup outgrowing your need very soon. Body will last for a long time; at least 5-6 years for a minimum. Hence the need to invest wisely. And since its not that huge a difference, I thought of mentioning.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 13:10   #12824
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 298
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Agreed. But you should also not endup outgrowing your need very soon. Body will last for a long time; at least 5-6 years for a minimum. Hence the need to invest wisely. And since its not that huge a difference, I thought of mentioning.
Yes. Totally agreed. No point buying a camera for 37k and check the market in a couple of years for a new one. I also agree that technology is a fast changing and evolving and what I buy now should be compatible with the new changes for a few years to come. Thanks for your suggestions ampere.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 13:51   #12825
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,374
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Thanks Netfreak. I will look into these cameras. If possible, could you please detail on sport metering. I am hearing this term for the first time.
These provide a good background on metering:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...spot-metering/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

Regarding D5200, it is a good option if you can stretch the budget a bit. Keep in mind that 3 - 4k would be required for accessories as well. I.e.:

1. Camera bag
2. Filter
3. Memory cards
4. Tripod

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 5th June 2014 at 13:54.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks