Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 10:07   #13276
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Thanks once again.

Nikkon 300 mm F4 AF-S + Nikon TC 14EII or Tamron 150-600 for wildlife/birding?

The former is a quality prime glass and the 14E doesn’t seem to degrade the IQ. The combo costs close to 1 lakh.No VR and a maximum reach of 420 mm on FX. A f5.6 lens @ 420mm.

There are many positive reviews on Tamron 150-600. Convenience of a zoom + reach up to 600mm. It is about 10-15k cheaper I guess, not a deal breaker though. Are there any quality issue with this lens on the Nikon bodies reported?
I personally use the 300mm f/4. I used to have a Sigma 150-500 but did not like the quality of pictures I was getting. I do have a 1.4 TC, a Kenko one though. I have shot with the 300mm f/4 and Nikon 1.4 TC, but prefer my shots without the extra glass. I am not too sure about the Tamron 150-600mm. The extra reach is a good thing to have. I have been hearing rave reviews about this lens, but will be wary of giving a recommendation till I have shot with it. Third party lenses also suffer from QC issues so you will need to be lucky or persistent or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute
The event is just a 4 hour event and the crowd size is pretty small compared to standard Indian wedding crowd size.
Carry your kit lens and ditch the 50. Take a shot of the hall at 18-20mm before and after the ceremony. And at all other times keep the 70-200 on. Be wary of obstructions from enthusiastic guests and relatives as you will have to stand a bit off to frame your shots. I would have preferred to have the 24-70 instead.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 11:08   #13277
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 544
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys after almost shortlisting this,
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR,

came across this lens which seems to be another allrounder.

Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX II AF 12 - 24 mm f/4 for Nikon Digital SLR

Which one should I choose. As a recap, this will be on my D5100 accompanying 50mm since I do not have the kit lens.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 19:31   #13278
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys after almost shortlisting this,
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR,

came across this lens which seems to be another allrounder.

Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX II AF 12 - 24 mm f/4 for Nikon Digital SLR

Which one should I choose. As a recap, this will be on my D5100 accompanying 50mm since I do not have the kit lens.
This is a confusing ask. You are comparing a general purpose zoom with a wide angle one. What is your purpose in buying a new lens? If you ask me, the Tokina might be a better choice as it will complement your 50. But it is no all rounder.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 20:30   #13279
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I used to have a Sigma 150-500 but did not like the quality of pictures I was getting....Third party lenses also suffer from QC issues so you will need to be lucky or persistent or both.
I own a Sigma 150-500 at present.

Since I will be using the lens on my FX body, I am a bit concerned about the maximum reach of 420mm [ 300 F4 + 14E] even with TC. I also heard the latest Nikon TC 14E III is not compatible with 300 F4.

Is lack of VR a deal breaker as I will be shooting handheld mostly ?
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 21:21   #13280
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 544
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
This is a confusing ask. You are comparing a general purpose zoom with a wide angle one. What is your purpose in buying a new lens? If you ask me, the Tokina might be a better choice as it will complement your 50. But it is no all rounder.
As mentioned earlier, I just have the 50mm which is good for portrait. I am looking at a better replacement for the 18-55 kit lens which I skipped to purchase. The lens i am looking should be a all rounder like 18-140mm
My need of lens is for landscape
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:27   #13281
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I own a Sigma 150-500 at present.

Since I will be using the lens on my FX body, I am a bit concerned about the maximum reach of 420mm [ 300 F4 + 14E] even with TC. I also heard the latest Nikon TC 14E III is not compatible with 300 F4.

Is lack of VR a deal breaker as I will be shooting handheld mostly ?
Not too sure about the TC 14E III. But I always shoot handheld. And get reasonably good shots even without VR. The flying heron has been taking recently. Handheld, No flash, No TC, No crop. 1/400s, f/4.0, 400ISO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
As mentioned earlier, I just have the 50mm which is good for portrait. I am looking at a better replacement for the 18-55 kit lens which I skipped to purchase. The lens i am looking should be a all rounder like 18-140mm
My need of lens is for landscape
The Tokina would be ideal for the purpose of landscapes. But there still is a focal length mismatch. Being an allrounder with greater reach is a totally different question / proposition. Very difficult to judge between 24mm and 140mm at the long end. If you want more flexibility in terms of reach, then the 18-140, 18-105 or even the 18-270 (Tamron) are good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-20141025-065828-lowres.jpg  

typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:54   #13282
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,120
Thanked: 992 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

If you are only going to shoot at long distances, the 300mm+TC14 will give better IQ. If your subjects are going to be at variable distances, then a zoom is a better choice.

Please note that a sharp lense - 300+TC14 on a 24MP sensor, is much better than a soft 600mm. The crop in the former case will be much sharper.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:54   #13283
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 544
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post

Very difficult to judge between 24mm and 140mm at the long end. If you want more flexibility in terms of reach, then the 18-140, 18-105 or even the 18-270 (Tamron) are good enough.
Point noted and taken. Ignored 18-105 since 18-140 is the successor. Will look at 18-270 too.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 20:15   #13284
BHPian
 
venuvedam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 125
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

How do I achieve infinite focus with the 18-55 canon lens? I want to shoot something like the miniature photography with car models and real cars interspersed. That requires a camera that can focus at infinity.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 23:38   #13285
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 326 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
How do I achieve infinite focus with the 18-55 canon lens?
Assuming that you have a crop sensor, this combination should work.

Set aperture to f/5.6 and focus distance to 24mm. With that, everything for 5 meters to infinity will be in focus.

More combinations here : http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...l-distance.htm

This is called "Hyperfocal" distance and is a very useful calculation for landscapes. There are various Apps / Sites to do the calculation.

This distance in a picture:

Name:  hyperfocaldistilluste1384292815855.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  13.2 KB
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 15:51   #13286
BHPian
 
venuvedam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 125
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Assuming that you have a crop sensor, this combination should work.

Set aperture to f/5.6 and focus distance to 24mm. With that, everything for 5 meters to infinity will be in focus.

More combinations here : http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...l-distance.htm

This is called "Hyperfocal" distance and is a very useful calculation for landscapes. There are various Apps / Sites to do the calculation.

This distance in a picture:

Attachment 1305519

Thank you. Will try this and update here.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 18:18   #13287
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,521
Thanked: 8,443 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Basic question on Adobe Camera Raw:

How does it stand against the native RAW process tools from Camera guys (Canon, Nikon etc) e.g. DPP. I was of opinion that its always best to use native S/W to process RAW files before importing them into processing. If that line of thought is correct where do tools like Adobe Camera RAW come in?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 22:47   #13288
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,822
Thanked: 2,375 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Basic question on Adobe Camera Raw:

How does it stand against the native RAW process tools from Camera guys (Canon, Nikon etc) e.g. DPP. I was of opinion that its always best to use native S/W to process RAW files before importing them into processing. If that line of thought is correct where do tools like Adobe Camera RAW come in?
Pretty close nowadays. I have been reading that the gap has been narrowing with every version.

I have been holding off on switching to Lightroom, or Photoshop. Will have to do it soon. Nikon NX-D is inferior to NX2. If I upgrade to D810 or any newer camera, I will no longer be able to use the NX2 special features.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 8th November 2014 at 22:55.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 23:08   #13289
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,521
Thanked: 8,443 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Pretty close nowadays. I have been reading that the gap has been narrowing with every version.

I have been holding off on switching to Lightroom, or Photoshop. Will have to do it soon. Nikon NX-D is inferior to NX2. If I upgrade to D810 or any newer camera, I will no longer be able to use the NX2 special features.
Thats not the question I was asking. Mother S/W like Aperture, LR, PS are the core softwares. Here I was referring to RAW pre-processing. Adobe also has its own RAW processing. How does that stand against Native Canon/Nikon solutions?
The data flow is :

Camera -> RAW -> RAW to TIFF -> Aperture/LR/PS etc.

Now I thought RAW to TIFF is always better in Canon (DPP) or Nikon. Instead of Adobe.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 23:24   #13290
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,822
Thanked: 2,375 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats not the question I was asking. Mother S/W like Aperture, LR, PS are the core softwares. Here I was referring to RAW pre-processing. Adobe also has its own RAW processing. How does that stand against Native Canon/Nikon solutions?
The data flow is :

Camera -> RAW -> RAW to TIFF -> Aperture/LR/PS etc.

Now I thought RAW to TIFF is always better in Canon (DPP) or Nikon. Instead of Adobe.
When I replied, I was referring to RAW processing. The pre TIFF stage.

My comment about NX-D vs NX2 was an add-on ramble.

Another ramble: if this is true: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/03/ni...ns-maybe.aspx/

- I would sell my D7100 and buy this in a heartbeat.

A D810 + D9300 (or whatever) - will be a very nice combo when shooting wildlife + nature.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks