Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 14:47   #13921
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

^^^ For prime lens shopping, the best advice I got was, use your kit lens at 35mm for a couple of days, and 50mm for a couple of days and see which ones you like better. I found that 50mm was too tight for me. Because of crop lens, the 35mm itself acts like 50mm.

I use the prime lens mainly for portrait or night time photography. The 1.8 aperture comes in really handy in these situations. I find the 18mm to be good for day time landscape photography where smaller F stop is needed.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 19:53   #13922
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 599
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ For prime lens shopping, the best advice I got was, use your kit lens at 35mm for a couple of days, and 50mm for a couple of days and see which ones you like better. I found that 50mm was too tight for me. Because of crop lens, the 35mm itself acts like 50mm
I am sure you meant FOV here= Field Of View
For me, the FOV at 50mm on my D7000 suits better for portraits than that on my D810. But then I can get a bit closer to the subject when shooting with it to get the FF advantage and IQ from my D810 sensor. As an all purpose lens, I have 24-120 F4 which I rarely use though.

Just saw one of my field reports getting published on NR. The link here : http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/23/ur...d-report.aspx/
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 06:37   #13923
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 3,474 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Guys,

Looking at buying a DSLR by mid February.

I am total newbie in the field of photography. So as a beginner can i buy the Canon EOS 1200D (check screen shot for deal).

What I get:

Body
18-55 lens
55-200 lens
8gb memory card
DSLR bag
I am not sure if the combination is worth it. They are packing two old lenses in the kit.

If it's the 1200D, I suggest the combo below:
http://www.canon.co.in/personal/prod...anguageCode=EN

Last edited by vb-san : 1st February 2016 at 06:38.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 08:57   #13924
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I am sure you meant FOV here= Field Of View
For me, the FOV at 50mm on my D7000 suits better for portraits than that on my D810. But then I can get a bit closer to the subject when shooting with it to get the FF advantage and IQ from my D810 sensor. As an all purpose lens, I have 24-120 F4 which I rarely use though.

Just saw one of my field reports getting published on NR. The link here : http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/23/ur...d-report.aspx/
Congratulations re Nikon Rumors.

Re: 50 mm for portraits - D7000 over D810? Surprised :-)

Btw, with practice, tracking with the 200-500mm has become easier, even with the AF system of the D7100. With newer/more powerful AF bodies, things should be much better. And since I started working out a bit, the lens seems as light as my old 70-300mm VR lol.

Name:  DSC_9177.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  DSC_7594.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  115.8 KB

Last edited by nilanjanray : 1st February 2016 at 09:08.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 13:04   #13925
BHPian
 
vikash49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 137
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Btw, with practice, tracking with the 200-500mm has become easier, even with the AF system of the D7100. With newer/more powerful AF bodies, things should be much better. And since I started working out a bit, the lens seems as light as my old 70-300mm VR lol.
Hi Nilanjan,

A friend is keen on upgrading from his 70-300VR to a better lens for wildlife. He will be using it on his D7100 and wants to stick to Nikon. So the available options are the the AFS 200-500VR and the AFS 80-400VR.

Since you've extensively used both in the wild, would appreciate your quick comparo between the two on the below points:

AF Speed
AF Accuracy
Sharpness
VR Effectiveness

Thanks in advance!
vikash49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 13:41   #13926
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Nilanjan,

A friend is keen on upgrading from his 70-300VR to a better lens for wildlife. He will be using it on his D7100 and wants to stick to Nikon. So the available options are the the AFS 200-500VR and the AFS 80-400VR.

Since you've extensively used both in the wild, would appreciate your quick comparo between the two on the below points:

AF Speed
AF Accuracy
Sharpness
VR Effectiveness

Thanks in advance!
They are more or less equal re all these aspects, the difference is marginal - not worth splitting hairs about.

The main difference is that the 80-400 is a more flexible/ one size fits all lens, and also lighter and easier to carry and handhold. The 200-500 is larger and heavier, a more specialised lens.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 13:58   #13927
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 599
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Re: 50 mm for portraits - D7000 over D810? Surprised :-)
I wouldn't even touch a Dxxx for portraits with the likes of D810 in my possession. I might get a 85/1.8 for portraits. I was just talking about my preferred FOV.

Last edited by M35 : 1st February 2016 at 13:59.
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 18:29   #13928
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

A question for dSLR gurus who are familiar with the aperture equivalence argument.

Attach 50mm F/1.8 to a FF dSLR and manually set it at F/1.8 - ISO200 - 1/100sec.
Attach 25mm F/1.8 to a m4/3 mirrorless and manually set it at F/1.8 - ISO200 - 1/100sec.

Now point both cameras from the same vantage point towards the same frame, and click. Do note they will have same FOV.

Will both cameras take similarly exposed images or does the FF camera take 2 stop brighter image than the m4/3 camera?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 18:44   #13929
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

The FF has an effective aperture of 50/1.8 = 28 mm. The other lens has it at 25/1.8=14mm. So the FF should be overexposed by 2 stops.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 19:39   #13930
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The FF has an effective aperture of 50/1.8 = 28 mm. The other lens has it at 25/1.8=14mm. So the FF should be overexposed by 2 stops.
You mean the 50mm F/1.8 allows 4 times more light than 25mm F/1.8 lens?

I agree FF receives 4 times more total light than m4/3 because it has 4 times more surface area. But is the intensity of light falling on both sensors different?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 19:44   #13931
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean the 50mm F/1.8 allows 4 times more light than 25mm F/1.8 lens?

I agree FF receives 4 times more total light than m4/3 because it has 4 times more surface area. But is the intensity of light falling on both sensors different?
Exposure will be same. Depth of field will be different. Noise will be appx 2 stops worse given same sensor technology.

Edit: this is an ideal question for DPReview. You will get 1000 responses. And have 100 people arguing

Last edited by nilanjanray : 1st February 2016 at 19:53.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 20:14   #13932
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 977
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread



Apologies if it has been already shared before.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 20:25   #13933
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I agree FF receives 4 times more total light than m4/3 because it has 4 times more surface area. But is the intensity of light falling on both sensors different?
I believe the intensity ( amount of light falling per unit area ) would be slightly higher on the FF.

The FF sensor area is 3.5 times that of the 4/3rd, whereas the total light falling is 4 times.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st February 2016 at 20:27.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 20:56   #13934
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Exposure will be same. Depth of field will be different. Noise will be appx 2 stops worse given same sensor technology.
I agree, and here is why...

Let me slightly change the lens specs to make the math simpler.

We know aperture diameter = FL/f-stop

If I shoot the same frame from same distance using FF and m4/3, this is what happens:

FF using 200mm - F/4 = Aperture -> 50mm dia -> total light is PI*625
m4/3 using 100mm - F/4 = Aperture -> 25mm dia -> total light is PI*156.5

By shooting the same frame from same distance using same F-stop, MFT gets only 25% of the light. But m4/3 sensor only has 26% surface area of FF. So the light density remains roughly same, so exposure is same.

Now let's look at ISO for the noise calculation. Noise depends on pixel density.

Resolution => image size
image-size/sensor-size = pixel density. [and FF is 4 times larger area]

If the resolution is kept same, m4/3 will have 4 times more pixel density, which means 2-stop more noise.

But, m4/3 rarely has the resolution of FF cameras. When FF has 24MP, same gen m4/3 has 16MP. So it is more like 1 stop more noise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I believe the intensity ( amount of light falling per unit area ) would be slightly higher on the FF.

The FF sensor area is 3.5 times that of the 4/3rd, whereas the total light falling is 4 times.
The m4/3 sensor has 26% of FF sensor area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_T...d_aspect_ratio

Last edited by Samurai : 1st February 2016 at 21:00.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 23:20   #13935
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

But, m4/3 rarely has the resolution of FF cameras. When FF has 24MP, same gen m4/3 has 16MP. So it is more like 1 stop more noise.
Would be appx 1.6X more noise, maybe a little less in practical terms.

A DX sensor has 1.5x times more noise than a similar FX sensor - theoretically.

What it means when shooting: when using a FX body, I put auto ISO limit at ISO 6400, when using a DX body, I put auto ISO limit at ISO 3200.

ISO 3200 shot from a DX. The DX shot required a lot more effort to process.
Name:  DSC_21892.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  225.9 KB

ISO 6400 shot from a FX
Name:  DSC_2057bw.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  91.7 KB

Last edited by nilanjanray : 1st February 2016 at 23:27.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 128 26th June 2015 20:49
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks