Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 09:38   #14176
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,123
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi Aroy! Thanks for your reply! I have one more noob question. Will Nikon come with 2 years extended warranty if i buy from amazon?
All sales of cameras in e-commerce are through authorised dealers. Amazon/Flipkart/Snapdeal are just aggregators not dealers. My camera came with an invoice of a dealer in Varanasi!

The warranty policy is
. 1 year by Nikon
. 1 year by Nikon India (it is 4 years by Nikon USA!)
Once you receive your camera, register it on the Nikon Site. If there is any problem within the first month or so, Amazon will replace it without any questions asked.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 13:18   #14177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All sales of cameras in e-commerce are through authorised dealers. Amazon/Flipkart/Snapdeal are just aggregators not dealers. My camera came with an invoice of a dealer in Varanasi!

The warranty policy is
. 1 year by Nikon
. 1 year by Nikon India (it is 4 years by Nikon USA!)
Once you receive your camera, register it on the Nikon Site. If there is any problem within the first month or so, Amazon will replace it without any questions asked.
Thanks Aroy again!! Waiting for the sale on Oct 1st to start so that I can buy the D3300 one. Can't wait actually
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 14:08   #14178
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Haven't had an opportunity to use it myself, but one of my co-safarist (is that even a description?) had it and she had only good things to say about it.

Wow, those are some amazing photos there! Fan for life!
Must be one strong lady. Hope you didn't pick up a fight with her regarding who gets the best position in the vehicle.

Thanks for looking.

Re luck: wildlife photography is 95% patience, 5% action

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Aroy again!! Waiting for the sale on Oct 1st to start so that I can buy the D3300 one. Can't wait actually
Best to go for an Amazon-fulfilled deal. Otherwise returns can be painful.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 14:48   #14179
BHPian
 
Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Must be one strong lady. Hope you didn't pick up a fight with her regarding who gets the best position in the vehicle.
She was carrying a bean bag and almost never lifted it to eye level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Re luck: wildlife photography is 95% patience, 5% action
You can also throw in dim light, someone's body coming in between at exactly the wrong moment, van bumping right when you click, if only that branch wasn't there, why isn't it looking at me, was looking in the wrong direction photographing some mundane stuff, wrong settings carried over from last night, didn't charge the battery as I was too sleepy, the list goes on and on...
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 15:43   #14180
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post

You can also throw in dim light, someone's body coming in between at exactly the wrong moment, van bumping right when you click, if only that branch wasn't there, why isn't it looking at me, was looking in the wrong direction photographing some mundane stuff, wrong settings carried over from last night, didn't charge the battery as I was too sleepy, the list goes on and on...
Very nicely expressed, +1. Let me add:
1. Wrong light or direction of light when you sight an animal. And you can't go to the right place because you are not allowed to leave the track.
2. Wrong season when you get leave
3. Wrong focal length/lens when a creature decides to show itself
4. 0.5-3 seconds to react and shoot, for most interesting shots. God help if you were looking at some PYT in the other safari vehicle, when a tiger decides to charge out of undergrowth, without any warning
5. Cost of travel + safaris + occasional gear rental
6. Cost of antacids when everyone else is getting nice sightings, and you are missing by a couple of minutes

#6 affects me the most.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 15:50   #14181
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 327
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Very nicely expressed, +1. Let me add:
1. Wrong light or direction of light when you sight an animal. And you can't go to the right place because you are not allowed to leave the track.
2. Wrong season when you get leave
3. Wrong focal length/lens when a creature decides to show itself
4. 0.5-3 seconds to react and shoot, for most interesting shots. God help if you were looking at some PYT in the other safari vehicle, when a tiger decides to charge out of undergrowth, without any warning
5. Cost of travel + safaris + occasional gear rental
6. Cost of antacids when everyone else is getting nice sightings, and you are missing by a couple of minutes

#6 affects me the most.
Bunch of non believers*, that is what you guys are.
The essential requirement is "The Gods must be kind...."

* I am no better.
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 17:10   #14182
BHPian
 
Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Very nicely expressed, +1. Let me add:
1. Wrong light or direction of light when you sight an animal. And you can't go to the right place because you are not allowed to leave the track.
2. Wrong season when you get leave
3. Wrong focal length/lens when a creature decides to show itself
4. 0.5-3 seconds to react and shoot, for most interesting shots. God help if you were looking at some PYT in the other safari vehicle, when a tiger decides to charge out of undergrowth, without any warning
5. Cost of travel + safaris + occasional gear rental
6. Cost of antacids when everyone else is getting nice sightings, and you are missing by a couple of minutes

#6 affects me the most.
#4 Very common problem, especially when there is a sighting and the vans flock together!

I've faced #3 in a very dramatic manner when a leopard came so close to the van that at even 150 mm all I was seeing in the viewfinder was some spots. I couldn't go down any further since that was the only lens I was carrying :(

Also lens envy, when you are drooling over someone else's lens and that leopard/tiger/whatever decides to look right at you.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 18:55   #14183
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default D810 or D500 for a safari trip?

I am deliberating. Decided on the D500, but everytime I look at old D810 photos, I suffer from post-decision dissonance. And yes, I did consider the park, season, comfort of wildlife with humans (which equals to expected distance), type of sightings etc. No clear answers. Will be carrying my 200-500 and other lenses.

FPS and AF of a D500. Versus absolute image quality, and animalscapes + landscapes with the D810.

Reprocessed a few old photos while looking at the D810 files. I love D810's metering, especially in interesting light, that give a special feel (special for me) even to ordinary subjects. @Mod: better to leave them here instead of the non-auto image forum, since images need some context.

D810
Name:  NR1_3990.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  267.0 KB

Name:  NR1_3955_00002.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  NR1_3941.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  152.3 KB

Name:  NR1_39642.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  169.5 KB

D500, significantly cropped. ISO 2200, 1/2500s.
Name:  DSC_1910.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  246.7 KB
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 19:49   #14184
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 327
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: D810 or D500 for a safari trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am deliberating.
If you plan to shoot birds then the D500 would have a distinct advantage than the D810. Like the last picture. High fps would help. Quicker focussing too. And BIFs would be easier.

Incidentally, how is the new 200-500 f5.6 VR? Have been meaning to try it out. And i nearly bought the D500. Aborted not since it has any flaw, but since i debated whether i would be 'justified' buying it. May also trade in my old D3s for the D5. Unfortunately, the resale market in India generally, and A'Bad in particular, sucks.

BTW, great capture.
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 22:32   #14185
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

D810 + Nikkor 200-500 F5.6 !

The DSLR Thread-_dsc65243.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2016 at 16:35. Reason: Uploading image as attachment
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:11   #14186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 37
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
You are overthinking, you don't need a tripod to shoot wildlife, unless you are a birder and/or carrying the long prime lenses.

Thanks nilanjanray, the urge to photography wildlife and birds started from a trip to Sikkim in April where i got a chance to do some birding. The trusty d3200 was not able to handle the low light of the cloudy mornings and the 16-300's slow speed wasn't helping. A few photos that i got had a lot of noise at iso 800.

Name:  DSC_0156_small.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0170_small.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0160_small.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  71.2 KB

Will eventually go for a tripod then for birding, after i get used to the feel of the new kit.

As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
http://nilanjanray.in/project/portfo...its-behaviour/

http://nilanjanray.in/project/photo-...dlife-habitat/

With the D7200 and 200-500 you will have one of the best wildlife kits. Happy shooting.
I have been through your portfolio before, really amazing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Wow, those are some amazing photos there! Fan for life!
Rightly said.
shantonob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:27   #14187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All sales of cameras in e-commerce are through authorised dealers. Amazon/Flipkart/Snapdeal are just aggregators not dealers. My camera came with an invoice of a dealer in Varanasi!

The warranty policy is
. 1 year by Nikon
. 1 year by Nikon India (it is 4 years by Nikon USA!)
Once you receive your camera, register it on the Nikon Site. If there is any problem within the first month or so, Amazon will replace it without any questions asked.

Thanks Aroy! I see this message in the Nikon website

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/about/p...merce-advisory

Quote:
We advise you to check the warranty entitlements of the products sold through e-commerce websites/ portals under the brand name ‘Nikon’.
I am concerned about this now!
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:27   #14188
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,123
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Aroy! I see this message in the Nikon website

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/about/p...merce-advisory



I am concerned about this now!
I think that Nikon equipment sold on Amazon is through authorized dealers/retailers. To verify, just check the seller against list on Nikon site of authorised Nikon Dealers.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:40   #14189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I think that Nikon equipment sold on Amazon is through authorized dealers/retailers. To verify, just check the seller against list on Nikon site of authorised Nikon Dealers.
Most of the seller names are weird and some has Nikon has the seller names and thats what the nikon site warns us also. Totally confused.

BTW Tata Croma has this offer here but its pricey for D3300. Should i go for it?

http://www.croma.com/nikon-dslr-d330...t-blk/p/182208
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:55   #14190
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,123
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Most of the seller names are weird and some has Nikon has the seller names and thats what the nikon site warns us also. Totally confused.

BTW Tata Croma has this offer here but its pricey for D3300. Should i go for it?

http://www.croma.com/nikon-dslr-d330...t-blk/p/182208
I have yet to come across any Nikon equipment bought through major e-commerce site being rejected by Nikon.

What you have to do is
. Buy the Camera
. Register it with Nikon, once it arrives.

If the site accepts the registration then it is bought from a genuine dealer. If it is rejected, return it with a note stating the reason. Amazon has a no-questions asked return policy, so you loose nothing.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLR Video Discussion Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 129 18th August 2017 19:07
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:18.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks