Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 02:28   #9061
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi,

Not really sure if this question belongs to this thread or the EVIL cameras thread because it is more of a generic question.

I bought a NEX-5 last week; works good, clicks good photos even in my amateurish hands but the problem is that the battery backup is very less.

So, I need to buy another battery to serve as a backup - the problem here is that the original battery from Sony is costing upwards of 5k though smartshoppers.in is selling the same for around 3k.

Is there any other brand that I can go for - have read some good reviews about Zeikos & Synergy brand replacement batteries though they are not directly available in India (but can be shipped via ebay) ?

Or are there any other vendors that I should try in India itself?

Any help in this direction would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

Last edited by jsrakkar : 7th January 2012 at 02:33. Reason: Format Correction
Old 7th January 2012, 02:51   #9062
BHPian

Re: Nikon D4 coming soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Ajay, Nikon D3s is close to this price ($5200 in B&H and not available too) which is doing fantastic in the low light/high ISO category. My only hope is a considerable drop in the price of D3s, so that many could afford that.
+1. IMO the price is on the expected lines given the current prices of D3s. D3s prices should drop considerably in coming months.
Old 7th January 2012, 13:02   #9063
Senior - BHPian

Here is a field report of D4 by Joe Mcnally Shooting the D4! « Joe McNally’s Blog
Old 7th January 2012, 16:41   #9064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
3 lakhs INR! ~!@#$%^&

I fail to understand why this camera should cost close to 6k USD. The mind-boggling resolution and probably the magnesium alloy body is what I feel are 2 factors, but is there anything else out-out-outstanding about this one?
This camera is expected to set new records in low light photography. Of course we need to wait for comprehensive tests. I was refreshing the Nikon and NR sites continously on Jan 6th morning waiting for details. :-) One thing I love about Nikon's pro ranges is that they are excellent in areas that matter most to pros - ruggedness, focus (speed and accuracy) and image quality (low light sensitivity plus colours/contrast). MP count is not critical. I would expect this camera to list at Rs 3.6 to 4L in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
But whatever is said and done, 4 of my friends are waiting with ready cash to grab the first batch of D4
Ah! Those lucky few. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
AFAIK NC filter is a must because the focus scale is calibrated to the NC filter, the moment one takes out NC filter, focus scale becomes useless.
I am sure of the filter being a part of the optical formula but not so clear about the exact role it plays in the system.

The point I was trying to make is that filters don't really screw up image quality provided as you use good quality multicoated filters.

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2012, 20:07   #9065
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a place in Delhi where I could pick up a 50mm Nikon lense tomorow?
Old 7th January 2012, 20:24   #9066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Can anyone suggest a place in Delhi where I could pick up a 50mm Nikon lense tomorow?
here are your options
. Palika Bazaar. There are a few shops selling Nikon, both with and without warranty. The shops on first floor are good.
. Chandni Chowk camera market. All sorts of deals are available starting with official retailers to importers and second hand dealers. But the market is most probably closed on Sunday.
. Official Nikon retailers. You can get the list from Nikon India site.
Old 7th January 2012, 22:54   #9067
BHPian

@Aroy thanks for the prompt reply. Picked it up from palika bazaar, found the af-s version.
Old 7th January 2012, 23:45   #9068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
here are your options
. Chandni Chowk camera market. All sorts of deals are available starting with official retailers to importers and second hand dealers. But the market is most probably closed on Sunday.
While the purpose of the original poster is fulfilled, just wanted to add that most of friends who are seriously into photography go to Pritam's shop at Chandni Chowk. He gives you genuine stuff (is there duplicate stuff in photographic equipment at all? ) both with and without bill.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:33   #9069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
3 lakhs INR! ~!@#$%^&

I don't understand too much technical stuff, but I fail to understand why this camera should cost close to 6k USD. The mind-boggling resolution and probably the magnesium alloy body is what I feel are 2 factors, but is there anything else out-out-outstanding about this one?
Its basically a top end, high speed, weather sealed,light absorbing(going by what the D3s does in the dark, i can only imagine how the D4 will perform in bad light) versatile Professional DSLR and a full fledged movie making camera wrapped into one. More than enough reasons for it to be priced at $6000, if it can rake in good returns for the professional. It is the only DSLR that gives out an uncompressed full HD HDMI output, which can be recorded using an external recorder, say like the Atmos Ninja. This is going to be a game changer for small production houses and independent film makers/cinematographers and Directors of photography, who uptill now swore by the 5D Mark2 and the 7D. They are great for what they offer, but high amounts of rolling shutter and crappy .h264 compression sometimes got in the way in certain conditions of shooting. The D4 changes all that with uncompressed output and a multitude of features like controlling the camera through an ipad, facial focus tracking in video mode, reduced rolling shutter etc. If anyone wants to get a pro Nikon body just for photography, then this is the ripe time to look for a used D3s. Plenty will surface in no time.

Check out the quality of the video output from the D4 here. Notice how, the out of focus areas, despite youtube compression, looks excellent, without too much artifacting. One of the biggest issues I used to face in production with the 5D or the 7D, was artifacting in the out of focus areas.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ge&h=OAQGQpxBg

This is a game changer for a lot of us who earn out bread making productions!

@Shajufx
Make it 5. I just sold my D3s today and pre ordering the D4.

Cheers,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 8th January 2012 at 05:40.
Old 8th January 2012, 07:55   #9070
Senior - BHPian

Torqueguru

That was some detailed piece of info. Wiki kind of stuff. THANKS! Your handle should be CamGuru instead. :-)

Why don't we have a new thread dedicated to D4? If its an outstanding camera like you guys say, it should stand out then.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:49   #9071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post

I just sold my D3s today and pre ordering the D4.

Cheers,
TG.

Congrats on the new equip!

Now,I am curious to know what the wise old man Rudra Da has to say about the D4
Old 8th January 2012, 18:42   #9072
BHPian

I dont know if this is the right place for my query but i need some advice. I am a complete noob when it comes to cameras and photography! I have a canon P&S, ixus 105.When it comes to video recording its good in bright conditions but average to poor in low light. I wanted to buy a good camcorder to take good videos in low light/ dimly lit room or outdoors .But since a camcorder takes only 3.3 MP still photos(medium range ones). I am in two minds , whether to go for a DSLR like the Sony SLT A-33/35 or similar or just stick with a decent handycam like the Sony cx130E and make do with my P&S for low light still pics.

I wanted to know Whether a DSLR can give the same low light performance of a camcorder, with non blurry videos? I am not interested in the great zooming powers of a camcorder. I know that most people choose a DSLR primarily for still photos and a camcorder for videos but i dont want to carry both! budget is around 30k rs/500$. can get from the US also if needed.

Appreciate if any one can clear my doubts.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:21   #9073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
When it comes to video recording its good in bright conditions but average to poor in low light. I wanted to buy a good camcorder to take good videos in low light/ dimly lit room or outdoors .But since a camcorder takes only 3.3 MP still photos(medium range ones). I am in two minds , whether to go for a DSLR like the Sony SLT A-33/35 or similar or just stick with a decent handycam like the Sony cx130E and make do with my P&S for low light still pics.

I wanted to know Whether a DSLR can give the same low light performance of a camcorder, with non blurry videos? I am not interested in the great zooming powers of a camcorder. I know that most people choose a DSLR primarily for still photos and a camcorder for videos but i dont want to carry both! budget is around 30k rs/500$. can get from the US also if needed.

Appreciate if any one can clear my doubts.
A DSLR will give better low light image/video, if it manages to focus well in low light. Also, there's the issue of rolling shutter if there is much panning or subject movement. A camcorder has a small P&S style or smaller sensor, so image quality isn't great, but it is optimized for video capture vs DSLRs. So a DSLT like the Sony A33/A35 is better for video than pure DSLRs and suits your need better, check DPReview.com for the review, image capture is a little worse than DSLRs but video capture is better.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 21:46   #9074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
A DSLR will give better low light image/video, if it manages to focus well in low light. Also, there's the issue of rolling shutter if there is much panning or subject movement. A camcorder has a small P&S style or smaller sensor, so image quality isn't great, but it is optimized for video capture vs DSLRs. So a DSLT like the Sony A33/A35 is better for video than pure DSLRs and suits your need better, check DPReview.com for the review, image capture is a little worse than DSLRs but video capture is better.
But is the still photography of the A33/35 equal to the Nikon d3100 or canon 550d with stock kit?? I have checked reviews on cameralabs and they dont find the still image quality bad.Its on par with the above mentioned competitors even though it falls in the EVIL category,though they dont mention much about night time performance.I wanted to know if the low light image quality is hampered due to Translucent Mirror Technology?

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2012, 22:00   #9075
BHPian

Yes, it is slightly worse in low light as I said compared to pure DSLRs of similar vintage, but the images I did see were quite good , though not the same scene comparison out in the open/real world. The partial reflection does reduce the light available to the sensor but the sensor tech is newer, so it isn't that much of a drawback.You can see the equivalent studio scene at high ISO, it's not that far off from the Canon/Nikon equivalents but I'd say a variety of different scenes is needed to be really sure. For purely stills, I'd still prefer a DSLR, but for those with significant video capture requirement, this fits the bill a little better as video recording is quite a bit better than DSLRs.

Sony SLT-A35 Review: 11. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks