Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th March 2006, 12:23   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Default Strong Magnets Near Laptops/ Electronics

I was just about to put a speaker box in my car See here (Speaker box for my WagonR)

And just a thought crossed my mind, would it damage my laptop if I keep it next to the speakers in the boot?

If I bring the 6"x9" speakers any nearer than 2 feet of my CRT monitor, the screen starts to darken and twist. Just to say that the magnets are very powerful.

I believe the most vulnerable part is the Hard Disk.... whats your take?
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, i used to keep my music system Speakers near my desktop. The screen used to distort and bend in corners, and also twists. My monitor didnt suffer any permament problem though.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 12:45   #3
BHPian

Thumbs down

I had a similar problem with strong magnet near laptop.

I had my laptop on my desk one of my relatives kid was having and playin with a strong magnet near my laptop.

And also rubbing all around laptop where ever he was getting the magnet stuck.

Wat happened in some time was i noticed the screen got hanged when i restarted the system it got stuck while loading winxp.

After various tries i cudnt get it on. so i gave 2 the service guy.

They told me that the Hard Disk is corrupted and has Bad Sector's on it.

So i have 2 change the Hard Disk.

Its better to be safe and not getting magnets near 2 electronic items i.e Laptops & Mobile Phones.
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 12:53   #4
BANNED

it is always better to avoid nearness to magnets for such gadgets.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 14:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

i tihnk some speakers are magnetically shielded. its better not to take a risk with ur laptop though cos if the HDD gets screwed all ur data.............gone
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Laptop shouldn't be that much affected. The most affected would be TV/CRT monitors....
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 12:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Avoid getting magnets near any magnetic device. that includes magnetic tape, hard disks, CRTs, and even some HD based MP3 players.

However most mobile phone are not affected.

I should say a distance of about 6" should be safe. most commercial magnets dont have signifincant effect beyond 4". 6" will allow for some safety margin.

Magnetic Media (Hard disks and tape) can get damaged beyond recovery. That means even data recovery might not be possible.

CRT however will return to normal once the maget is moved and at best will require degaussing.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 16:39   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

A couple of days back I managed to break an old HDD I had. The maganet that I pulled out of it, is small yet VERY powerful.
BY MISTAKE stuck it onto the refrigerator and it won't come off!.... the only way was to slide it to the edge and then get a proper grip... but in the process scratching the paint!

Well, any ways coming to the point .... after doing some more googleing, just came to a conclusion...
1) If the laptop is on then never bring a magnet near the HDD area... else its gone for sure.
2) Even if its off... the damage can easily be done.. but less probability than if its ON.

Thanks for your inputs...
Old 27th March 2006, 16:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

The magnet was NdFeB.
Old 27th March 2006, 17:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Well, i used to keep my music system Speakers near my desktop. The screen used to distort and bend in corners, and also twists. My monitor didnt suffer any permament problem though.

When this happens, take the magnet\device causing the magentic field away, then switch the monitor off and switch it back again. This should degauss your monitor. If this does not work, degauss your monitor using the Menu option on your monitor.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

I would say, if you love your laptop enough, dont put it in the boot! Put it right next to you on the seat and make it wear a seatbelt. I'm sure it takes a lot of hard knocks sitting in the boot. It deserves better. And this also solves your problem!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 20:00   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

... LOL... Rehaan... I do love my loptop... but then its not mine!... its official . Nevertheless I never keep it in the boot... unless we are 4 office guys in the car.... then that comes to 4 laptops. So then all 4 are dumped into the boot.

BTW we do have a lot of HDD crashes.
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

My thinkpad often travels in the boot usually dumped on top of whatever else in the the boot. so far no crashes. we have 3 thinkpads between us (2 T41p and 1 R50) so i guess we've been lucky unless it is the IBM disk protection at work.
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:57   #14
BHPian

Just keep any magnetic media (hard disks...floppies....tapes) away from any strong magnets.

IIRC CRT's also get distorted due to magnets
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote