Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th May 2013, 00:37   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Laptop performance enhancement by cleaning air cooled network (Heat sink)

With a little motivation from this thread and a few Youtube videos to help dismantle my Inspiron 6400, I finally got around to clean the insides of my laptop.
Here is my experience in words-

Well, everything went well, and indeed, after years of regular use, there was a lot of dust inside the laptop near the cooling fan and the heat sink. I cleaned all of that by blowing compressed air.

After everything was done, I tried to switch ON the laptop but it would start for a moment with the keyboard lights lighting up but it would then die after 5 seconds.

After a few nervous minutes I realised that I might not have placed the processor chip the way it should have been. And indeed, after opening it up again, I realised the processor chip was NOT seated properly.

Placed it in just fine, started assembling the laptop again, and prayed that everything goes fine. Hit the power button and YES! It comes to life.

Everything works fine, in fact, I am posting on the forum using the same laptop.

NOTABLE DIFFERENCE-

Recently, while watching TV episodes on VLC, I experienced heavy stutter and "clicks" in audio and video both. Also, when I hit the spacebar to pause the video, it would keep stuttering for a few seconds and then pause; same would be the case when I hit play again.

After cleaning, the clicking noises while playing videos is gone, the videos play butter smooth, the laptop is running cooler and most importantly, the videos pause right at the moment I hit the spacebar

Also, there is absolutely no zero-noise now using my headphones.

Thumbs up to the OP to start such a thread and for motivating me to fix my laptop myself.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote