Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 12:10   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Wireless Home Networking

Hey guys, till now a wifi router has just been something to connect to the Internet with. But now after reading up a bit and doing some research there seem to be many possibilities with it. So right now at home, I have a desktop, a few cellphones, an iPad, a wifi enabled tv (need to buy the dongle for it) and an age old router.

Today I picked up the netgear n900. And now my confusion starts. Someone in the house is buying a MacBook pro soon, I just started using the iPad (first apple product lol) and there is an iPhone 4 too, which is not used by me. Now I'm getting a home theatre in which the amp will support networking, either denon or marantz. Also I am planning on getting the next iPhone as and when it comes out.

Now my main question is whether I should switch this netgear for the apple airport extreme? Here is what I want to be able to do, but I have no clue how, what software to download or what else to buy.

I download all my music and tv shows and movies on my desktop which is running windows. I plan on getting a wifi dongle for this and connecting it to wifi too.

Here is theoretically what I want to be able to do. I want the files I download on my pc, to be available to the MacBook, the iPad, iPhones, and also my home theatre. Now music I know will get synced through the desktop and iPad (don't want to sync it with others since I only use iPad and not the MacBook or iPhone), but what about the movies I download or tv shows?

So say I am in the home theatre room, I want to see a list of my downloads on the iPad and choose what to play on the home theatre. Will I also need apple tv for this? Or some other device to connect to the av receiver in order to allow streaming?

Or say I'm on my pc, I want to be able to stream something from that to the
Samsung tv in my room. Will I again need some other software for that?

Now the Audio of my tv is connected to a 5.1 in my room, say from my iPad I want to play songs on the tv, or maybe on the home theatre, will that be possible?

If you see my main need is for Audio sharing between my desktop and iPad, and video sharing between desktop, tv, iPad, home theatre, MacBook etc. the MacBook and iPhone will have their own library of music to sync since they are used by a different person.

Now the first thing I need to know is, whether to switch the netgear n900 for the airport extreme, or will all this work fine with the netgear?

Secondly what other devices will I need? I know I have to buy wifi dongles for my desktop And tv. Now when my av receiver comes, it will have an Ethernet port, now will I just need to get that connected to the wifi network or again purchase another device like apple tv to allow streaming over the network. If so what device is best for me?

Thirdly what software will I need? For the apple devices I know iTunes will sync music. For videos and tv shows what do I do? Will iTunes sync movies tv shows I've not bought off the iTunes store, and added from other sources to my library? Also what software to stream stuff to my Samsung tv from the desktop or iPad?

Guys really really appreciate any help, believe me after asking so many questions if anyone can clear the full thing up for me I will be indebted to you for a long time. Thanks again, sorry for the long confused post.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:43   #2
BHPian
 
Y@SH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 355 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Hi Akshay,
Since you will be using your apple devices Its the best to buy Apple router i.e the Airport Extreme + Airport Express. It will seamlessly sync all your data with your ipad/iphone. But I dont think it will work with windows. Its the best if you download all the data on your macbook and then sync it across your iDevices. You will need to connect the Airport Express with your amp and play using AirPlay & the airport extreme will work as your router for wifi and share your data from your Macbook to say your iPad.
Have a look here.
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Features - Hard Drive Sharing
Apple - AirPort Express - Features - AirPlay
Understanding Home Sharing
Apple - iTunes - Inside iTunes - Share your iTunes library with others by using Home Sharing.

Last edited by Y@SH : 30th May 2012 at 12:49.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,463
Thanked: 688 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Cant you use one single server for all your storage?
Also, make sure your wireless supports highest speed spec so that there is no lag while accessing it from TV.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:19   #4
BHPian
 
BBR_SHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

I believe your A/V receiver becomes the centre point for what you want to accomplish. The capabilities of your receiver will dictate the feasibility of your desired setup. For example, Denon 3312 supports Denon Remote App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (available in AppStore), Airplay wireless music, multi-zone etc etc.
BBR_SHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 21:00   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Hi Akshay,
Since you will be using your apple devices Its the best to buy Apple router i.e the Airport Extreme + Airport Express. It will seamlessly sync all your data with your ipad/iphone. But I dont think it will work with windows. Its the best if you download all the data on your macbook and then sync it across your iDevices. You will need to connect the Airport Express with your amp and play using AirPlay & the airport extreme will work as your router for wifi and share your data from your Macbook to say your iPad.
Have a look here.
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Features - Hard Drive Sharing
Apple - AirPort Express - Features - AirPlay
Understanding Home Sharing
Apple - iTunes - Inside iTunes - Share your iTunes library with others by using Home Sharing.
Airport is compatible with windows. Thanks for the articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Cant you use one single server for all your storage?
Also, make sure your wireless supports highest speed spec so that there is no lag while accessing it from TV.
Everything will be downloaded onto my desktop as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
I believe your A/V receiver becomes the centre point for what you want to accomplish. The capabilities of your receiver will dictate the feasibility of your desired setup. For example, Denon 3312 supports Denon Remote App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (available in AppStore), Airplay wireless music, multi-zone etc etc.
The receiver I get will have AirPlay and these apps.

Now I've been reading up quite a bit myself and I've understood how the apples will function. But what I want to know is how do I share the stuff I don't have in iTunes? Say an mkv or mpg file of a movie, can I add this to my iTunes library? Or does iTunes only allow you to add movies and tv shows purchased from them? (sorry for this dumb question, I'm travelling otherwise would have checked on my iTunes)

Also say I want to play something on my tv which is Samsung, that is just on the wifi network but not connected to any of the devices. To play from my desktop I will have to get some easy share software I think, but is there any way to control what I play on the tv from my iPad?

Now for my av receiver which will be in another room altogether, it is AirPlay compatible so I know I can play music on it from my apple devices. But again what about tv shows and video, will I need apple tv for that? Again what about the stuff I download myself, will that work with apple tv or will I need to buy another streaming device like say a Roku box?

Thanks for the replies guys.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 21:17   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

So it's a mix n match. Is your TV DLNA enabled? Win machines can act as DLNA servers out of the box.
There's a software on Mac (bought separately) that will bring DLNA capabilities to the Mac.
Using that you could stream to any device from any device. Provided they are talking DLNA.

My ps3 was used (as a DLNA client) to stream photos, music and videos from Mac or pc to my tv.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 01:16   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
So it's a mix n match. Is your TV DLNA enabled? Win machines can act as DLNA servers out of the box.
There's a software on Mac (bought separately) that will bring DLNA capabilities to the Mac.
Using that you could stream to any device from any device. Provided they are talking DLNA.

My ps3 was used (as a DLNA client) to stream photos, music and videos from Mac or pc to my tv.
So yes im pretty sure my tv will be dlna compatible once I get the wifi dongle for it. As will the av receiver that I get. So basically once user up my pc as the dlna server I can choose whether to play my downloaded mkv or avi files on the tv or home theatre. And if I get the dlna app I can use my iPad as the controller for that. Am I right? So no need to buy apple tv or any such thing.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 06:30   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
And if I get the dlna app I can use my iPad as the controller for that. Am I right? So no need to buy apple tv or any such thing.
What do you mean by controller?
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 07:53   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
What do you mean by controller?
Something like the remote app by apple. So ill be able to see the contents of my library on the iPad and choose what movie I want to play.

On a separate note, I went and bought the airport extreme, exchanged the netgear for it. And ordered a 2 tb hdd which I'll connect to the router and use as a kind of central hdd for the house, moving all downloads there.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:20   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Guys, I'm back home, just set up the Airport Extreme today. Now I set it up using airport utilities for windows. The internet part is working fine since its connected to my modem through ethernet. Its apparently in bridge mode. I've connected a 2tb Seagate HDD to the Airport, but its not accessible through my PC and neither though my macbook pro. Its formatted in NTFS. I've tried map network drive but it still doesn't connect. The HDD is recognized in airport utility but it just does not show on the computers.

What can I do?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,748
Thanked: 6,752 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So yes im pretty sure my tv will be dlna compatible once I get the wifi dongle for it.
I am not so optimistic in this aspect. Basically the DLNA stuff is half baked in all these implementations. Please check the certification that your product has in terms of explicit DLNA capabilit on wireless. The product will have both stamps - but necessarily does not mean both together. DLNA works on LAN ports in most cases.

If you can tell me the product name, we can have a check for the same.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:45   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am not so optimistic in this aspect. Basically the DLNA stuff is half baked in all these implementations. Please check the certification that your product has in terms of explicit DLNA capabilit on wireless. The product will have both stamps - but necessarily does not mean both together. DLNA works on LAN ports in most cases.

If you can tell me the product name, we can have a check for the same.
Thanks, but that is secondary for now. Can get Apple TV or any other similar box to make my video streaming work. I want to tackle one thing at a time now. Any idea on the Hard drive problem posted above?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,748
Thanked: 6,752 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thanks, but that is secondary for now. Can get Apple TV or any other similar box to make my video streaming work. I want to tackle one thing at a time now. Any idea on the Hard drive problem posted above?
I am not a fan of Apple, and hence not much info on Apple stuff
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 17:16   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Finally have made some progress. Re-formatted the drive to Fat32, and it showed up on my desktop. I'm assuming it will work on my macbook also, haven't tried it yet. But what a relief. Transferring and my movies and tv shows to that hard drive now.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 18:04   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Wireless Home Networking

Akshay, the best option is to use an apple TV. Since you already have the following

1. Ipad - use it as a multimedia remote
2. New home theatre - that must have an optical audio input or hdmi input
3. PC - that can store all your music, movies, pics etc
4. TV with internet capabilities

Config it
1. Apple tv to LCD tv via hdmi and apple tv to home theatre with optical audio
2. apple tv to lcd tv via hdmi and audio o/p from tv to home theatre

option 1 is better coz you can play all music on your ipad or pc (via remote app) on your home theatre without switching on tv.

you can convert all your media to apple formats, play movies on demand from your pc on your lcd tv.

I ve got a setup similar to this. Infact if you do buy a new tv, add in another apple tv (5K) that can provide your media content.

Apple tv also has online radio and movie on demand.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Please use caution and common sense when meeting people via forums/social networking! madbullram Shifting gears 38 26th July 2010 08:25
The Great Social Networking Site Poll RuffRyder Shifting gears 35 20th November 2009 14:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks