Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th December 2008, 00:41   #166
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.

Well, places to get video files on the net would be file sharing sites like Rapidshare or P2P networks like Gnutella, Torrents, etc. For finding stuff in Rapidshare, you could check out the indexing sites/rapidshare search sites/mailing groups (yahoo groups, etc). For P2P networks, you will need to download and install the respective client on your comp.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 10:54   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks.

Well, places to get video files on the net would be file sharing sites like Rapidshare or P2P networks like Gnutella, Torrents, etc. For finding stuff in Rapidshare, you could check out the indexing sites/rapidshare search sites/mailing groups (yahoo groups, etc). For P2P networks, you will need to download and install the respective client on your comp.
wow, quite an exercise.. Lets see if I can manage to do that. I checked the player for all the logos printed on top of it, divX is listed there, but no xvid.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 16:10   #168
Senior - BHPian

Thats bad... supports divx but not xvid! Bad deal! I hope it supports the format, but they have omitted its mention for whatever mention.

So, if you do get hold of an xvid file in future, and try to play it on the player, do let us know what happened.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:26   #169
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking to replace my LG DVD player, which has been giving me trouble of late. It's skipping/freezing while playing some DVDs, especially non-original ones. Most original DVDs play well on it.
In any case I am looking to upgrade to an HD-upscaling DVD player. It will be used with a 42" plasma in all probability. Should I opt for one of the HD upscaling DVD players sold by Philips, LG or Samsung? Or should I pump in a couple of extra k's and opt for a Pio DV610?
Does anyone know the current going rates of these players?

Priorites:
- Good HD upscaling capabilities
- HDMI
- Digital audio out, preferably optical (my AV receiver doesn't have HDMI, hence I need this)
- Should be able to play non-original discs, maybe even pirated and scratched ones. I am not in favour of piracy, but the reality is, not everything we watch is an original DVD. I am told that Philips handles these discs the best. How is the Pio in this respect?

Would be great if some existing users of these players can chip in with their feedback.

Last edited by razor4077 : 1st January 2009 at 13:28.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 14:08   #170
BHPian

Please look DV 410 Pioneer, with HDMI and upscale 1080 (please check).

This is a very good set . Plays every thing. Good picture quality (I compared
all the sets avilable in the market. including sony.)

This costs 6.5k in Bangalore. Overall good . but little expensive.

Look for maide in Thailand and not China pc.
bhojraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 18:39   #171
Senior - BHPian

@ Razor - For sasta and sundar, look at Samsung. They are good at upscaling. For something better, check out the Cambridge Audio DV 99.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 19:40   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats bad... supports divx but not xvid! Bad deal! I hope it supports the format, but they have omitted its mention for whatever mention.

So, if you do get hold of an xvid file in future, and try to play it on the player, do let us know what happened.
My Panasonic DVD player has DivX playing capability. But I did not try it for last 1.5 year. Just last week I downloaded DivX encoder from DivX site itself and converted one video to DivX and transferred it to DVD. Then tested it in my laptop with DivX player. It was playing well also the VLC media player showing its format appropriate. Also file has extension .divx. According to my DVD player manual it says DivX file should have extensions .divx or .DIVX or .AVI or .avi. Also I finalized DVD after writing.

But, when I tried to play same DVD in my Panasonic DVD Player it says, this type of disc cannot be played in player.

Is there anything I took wrong step?

Earlier, I tried with XviD format, obviously it did not play in my DVD player. What could be the problem? Any expert who can help me in this regard ?

PS: Sorry for OT posting but I did not want to start a new thread for this
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:06   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

But, when I tried to play same DVD in my Panasonic DVD Player it says, this type of disc cannot be played in player.

Is there anything I took wrong step?

Earlier, I tried with XviD format, obviously it did not play in my DVD player. What could be the problem? Any expert who can help me in this regard ?

PS: Sorry for OT posting but I did not want to start a new thread for this
It may be due to the version of the DivX you are using. You might have encoded in latest version of DiVX and your player might support an older DivX version. I had the same problem in my Philips and I downloaded a firmware update from Philips which solved the problem.

Check the version of DivX your player supports and see what version you encoded into. Also, check if there are any firmware update available on the Pana website.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:45   #174
Senior - BHPian

Purchased a Philips 3996 DVD Player today. Satisfies pretty much all my requirements - plays any region DVD, and handles scratched & non-original discs nicely. Also has a USB 2.0 slot to play movies directly off your pen drive/ flash-based HDD.

Has HD upscaling capabilities, and it came with a free HDMI cable.

Tested the upscaling feature on a Samsung LCD, and there is a discernible difference in video quality while playing at 1080i (my TV is not full HD).

So far, am happy with the purchase. Cost me 3199 bucks.

Last edited by razor4077 : 23rd January 2009 at 20:46.
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
(my TV is not full HD).
I thought you were going TV hunting today?
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 00:38   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
I thought you were going TV hunting today?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1143203

But then, even the PV8 isn't full HD. I can live with 1080i

PS: In case anyone is wondering how the 3996 plays all regions, there is a way to unlock all regions (it is Region 5 by default).
Go to Setup -> Preference Page
Enter 138931 using the numeric keypad
The current region is displayed on the screen. Use the up/down keys to change this to to 0, press OK.

Most shops will actually do this for you when you buy the player. I was in a rush, so couldn't get this done.

Last edited by razor4077 : 24th January 2009 at 00:45.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:12   #177
BHPian

Default suggestions for a DVD player

Hi,
I've been planning to get myself a new DVD player.I want it to be used later on with a home theatre system,whenever I get one in the near future. Budget for the DVD player is around 5k.I have a preferance for philips,but other brands can also be considered.
guys need your suggestions.Btw I will mate it to a Panny 42" plasma,which I guess is HD/HD ready,not sure.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 13:52   #178
BHPian

Default Offtopic: Need remote for Sony Home Theatre DAV-DZ-151KB

Slightly offtopic:
Any idea where can we get the remote for this home theatre model?
Sony Home Theatre DAV-DZ-151KB

Am done with enquiring at all kinds of shops - local ones, sony shop (showroom), Authorised service centre near my house, SP road (in blore), - except for the official service helpline, which gets disconnected after playing music for a while.

I bought one from SP road which looks similar to the one which we had, but it doesnt work with my DVD player (works with the TV tough).
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 19:39   #179
BHPian

Buy a Sony universal remote. Should definitely work with a Sony HT system.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 13:17   #180
Senior - BHPian

Default 1TB Hard Disk+Media Player (including Divx)+Recorder

Guys

Am looking to buy a device that has the following features.

* 1TB Hard Disk
* Media Player (including Divx)
* Recorder (Record TV Programs)

Could you please help me on the choice of models I would have for 10K INR. I can source it from Dubai (Myself) or from USA (Bro can get it).

Here in Dubai I saw a iOmega 1 TB Hard Disk+Media Player for 999 AED. It didn't have recording option though.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote