Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Your Choice?
Google Drive 14 33.33%
Dropbox 17 40.48%
SkyDrive 10 23.81%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th September 2015, 14:26   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Cloud Storage For Music?

Google Play Music is available in India for uploading your own music. The store functionality is not yet in India. You can still sign up for Play Music, pay 2$ a month for 100GB google storage and upload all your songs. You can even stream them to your Android or iOS devices. This is what I am using now.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 17:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Google drive does not have deduplication. Which means if you upload the same set of files it still copies them into Drive as filename (1).mp3. Very frustrating.

Streaming would be great, but primarily want to back them up. Budget would be free or a maximum of 2-3$ a month. About 50GB should suffice for now.
For storage you can get a Virtual server for 15$ P/A with 80GB storage in US and also use it as a VPN(I can help in setting it up) or go with what venu suggested. Let me know if you are interested.
atulsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 18:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Any online storage i would think about the legal way of aquiring the music in the first place. If all your music are digital paid downloads, cloud service will be good.

Else your options are taking multiple backups in portable drive. The drive prices have come down so much that a 256gb usb stick i last picked for 40$ in a sale. That stores QUITE a number of songs.

There are services that you pay by month to rent space for entire system back up. Uploading and saving is one step, but recovering and restoring takes weeks sometimes based on the size.

You can try flickr for 1TB free. They do store audio files but run copyright and may block the songs.

My back up is on Hard drives and one copy few BD disks. I usually simply take one more copy on these BD disk at the end of a year or two to refresh the back up.

I have also created my own NAS (FREENAS) and that does automatic back up which also provides me option to replace the drives when they are dead without losing content.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 14:50   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

Quote:
I have a huge collection of music that I've collected over years (~50GB) and want it backed up. Any suggestions?
Likewise! I'm now on Google Drive's 1 TB plan and have simply placed my iTunes folder & files within Google Drive.

You should do the same.

Quote:
Google drive does not have deduplication. Which means if you upload the same set of files it still copies them into Drive as filename (1).mp3. Very frustrating.
I honestly prefer it this way.

Either ways, you should remove duplicates via your music software, and not your cloud backup. For instance, in iTunes, there's a menu option to list duplicates.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 16:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Microsoft Onedrive for Business

How many are using it?
Nifty program but extremely poorly implemented.

So last week I realized that my laptop's entire hard disk has been filled!
Pinpointed the problem to Microsoft Onedrive for Business application.

It creates a local cache (no, I am not talking about your local folder!), which is order of magnitude larger in size compared to the local Onedrive folder.

The resolution was deletion of all the cache files.

Several people have raised the issues, but looks like Microsoft is behaving like a proverbial ostrich and refuses to acknowledge and address the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=officeitpro

https://www.towfeek.se/2014/12/offic...-size-problem/
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote