Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th November 2012, 15:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Best Portable Wireless PA system - Outdoor use

Hey guys,

I am looking for a wireless portable PA (public address system) with the intended usage being:

1. Will be used as a public address system to groups of 100 people for about 3 hours at one go (motivational talks etc)

2. Has to be ultra light (will be carried on flights to distant locations)

3. Has to be wireless - least amount of time spent on set-up, and less wires to worry about

4. An internal re-chargeable battery is a great bonus

5. Will only be used as a PA system and NOT for music. So I dont need an iPod dock or a sub.

6. Will be used both outdoors and indoors - but sound quality outdoors like in the hills or near a river for instance (in nature) should be very good

7. I dont mind importing this via Amazon - but getting something in India with warranty support would be nice

8. More the number of speakers (or the option to add more wireless speakers to the unit) the better, so that I can spread the sound around a largish group.

9. I can go upto about 25k INR on the budget. Maybe more if the unit is awesome. Price isnt much of a problem.

What do you guys recommend? Google searches are extremely iffy and I dont seem to find something that tallies everything I need.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Best Portable Wireless PA system - Outdoor use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
...What do you guys recommend?
I guess AHUJA would suit your requirements.

Take a look at these links:

http://www.ahujaradios.com/ProductSp...&id=8&sc_id=54

http://www.ahujaradios.com/ProductSp...&id=8&sc_id=54

The WA 320 is the lightest at 3.0 Kg and comes with a Tie Clip and Hand held Microphone. It shouldn't cost more than 10-12K

Here'a pic of the WA 320

Best Portable Wireless PA system - Outdoor use-ahuja.png
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 22:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks War. But would this actually reach out to an audience of over 100 people sitting outside? You know, like people sitting around in disparate groups under trees and stuff?
Old 6th November 2012, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I doubt. May be you can connect another set of speakers thru' the line out?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 23:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I doubt. May be you can connect another set of speakers thru' the line out?
Thats the problem. Then I'll be dealing with more weight, more wires, extra batteries and more complications.

Just need a single, portable wireless set...
Old 7th November 2012, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Why not get some high volume Fm radios and a FM microphone.

Set all the radios to the microphone frequency and start talking. You can add as many radios as you need.

Should work, right ? And cheap too.
mitrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 12:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Why not get some high volume Fm radios and a FM microphone.

Set all the radios to the microphone frequency and start talking. You can add as many radios as you need.

Should work, right ? And cheap too.
Nice jugaad. But I reckon that the overall clarity and power of these radios will be nowhere close to something built for this purpose. But I might be wrong unless proven otherwise.

Still looking...
Old 7th November 2012, 13:10   #8
BHPian

please mention the area (in sq ft or sq mts) of the event/performance. without which it would not be possible to offer a right solution.
The best option would be to call Ahuja and its ilk, let them understand your requirement and as professionals they would be the best to provide you with a solution.

All the best for your event.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ahuja units should be good enough in open air for about 100-150' with decent audibility in the voice range. Conventional wired ones (with horns) are good till about 600-700' for decent intelligibility. Beyond these distances the intelligibility falls off sharply. Positioning them w.r.t. the audience is crucial, especially considering distance of wireless mic to the unit.

These have tone controls which you can experiment and set for optimal energy efficiency if on batteries (basically cut bass). They mention rechargeable 12V 3.5AH batteries, but not whether they are built in. 2 of these can work in tandem with the same microphone - you just need to set the same frequency on both units. With the right luggage, you should be able to carry 2 of these, incl. external rechargeable batteries, without problems.

Of course, considering the hassle of man-handling luggage, sometimes it is wiser to arrive a day before and hire a car-battery based conventional system from the nearest village - just carry FM wireless mics. You get a person to man the system when you hire one.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 14:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
please mention the area (in sq ft or sq mts) of the event/performance. without which it would not be possible to offer a right solution.
The best option would be to call Ahuja and its ilk, let them understand your requirement and as professionals they would be the best to provide you with a solution.

All the best for your event.
Tough to get a fix on this. See, when you take a group of 100 for a nature walk, they are just gonna sit where they feel fit (but within hearing distance ofcourse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The Ahuja units should be good enough in open air for about 100-150' with decent audibility in the voice range. Conventional wired ones (with horns) are good till about 600-700' for decent intelligibility. Beyond these distances the intelligibility falls off sharply. Positioning them w.r.t. the audience is crucial, especially considering distance of wireless mic to the unit.

These have tone controls which you can experiment and set for optimal energy efficiency if on batteries (basically cut bass). They mention rechargeable 12V 3.5AH batteries, but not whether they are built in. 2 of these can work in tandem with the same microphone - you just need to set the same frequency on both units. With the right luggage, you should be able to carry 2 of these, incl. external rechargeable batteries, without problems.

Of course, considering the hassle of man-handling luggage, sometimes it is wiser to arrive a day before and hire a car-battery based conventional system from the nearest village - just carry FM wireless mics. You get a person to man the system when you hire one.
I'm not quite sold on these. I saw one in action, and it was just not the best. I don't remember what the problem was (I wasn't looking for one then, so these things didn't register), but I remember not being blown away by it.

I just feel there are more sophisticated systems out there, but cannot seem to find them.

Isn't there something with a home theatre system set up style? One small amp/receiver + 4-5 tiny wireless speakers that can be placed at vantage points? That's precisely the thing in my head. Wonder if anyone makes them.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I saw one in action, and it was just not the best. I don't remember what the problem was (I wasn't looking for one then, so these things didn't register), but I remember not being blown away by it. ...
I wouldn't grudge you that! Other than getting one tailor made for yourself with at least 10" speakers (larger the better), you wouldn't be impressed. Maybe the come-down for you would have been lack of bass (6.5" in open air - forget it) and tinny not-so-powerful sound. Couple that with the distortion that is likely to come out when you crank up the volume - no, nothing to be blown away by.

Wireless speakers have a small built-in amplifier. Contrary to what you are expecting, one cannot amplify in a central system and then beam all the power to the wireless speakers. The central system can only beam the signal modulated with an FM transmitter - low power. On the receiving side, the amplification has to happen right next to the speakers. Also, tiny speakers are an anathema to your use-case - they are unlikely to produce sufficient power in open air.

You are unlikely to find an impressive ready-made solution. Sure, there are a few similar ones out there (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...) but unlikely to have 'blow you away' quality. You could, if you check, get a local small PA system maker to rig you up with decent speakers in a wooden cabinet, coupled with an amp, an FM receiver (tuned to FM mic frequency), rechargeable battery (like the ones used in small UPS) and a charger in the same cabinet. Other than the box, everything else is available off-the-shelf. Would cost you less than an imported system.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are unlikely to find an impressive ready-made solution.
Thanks DerAlte. Here's one I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hisonic-portab...d_sim_sbs_MI_2 - This is a full on wireless unit that weighs around 6 kilos in total.

Would much appreciate your feedback on this considering its tech specs. I cannot seem to understand if extra speakers could be connected for larger indoor use.

Would you also let me know what kind of watt outage I should be looking at? Would 75w be enough or should I go for something higher than 150 or 300?

This one seems very interesting too! http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PWMA200...nd-1-Wired-Mic

80 Watts, so its more powerful than the one above, fully wireless, and has a 3.5 mm audio output jack so I can connect it to another amp with more speakers if I need to.

A quick note on this one too from you would be great. Hell, you're gonna help me zero in on the right one :-)

Last edited by DerAlte : 7th November 2012 at 17:48.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Would much appreciate your feedback on this considering its tech specs. I cannot seem to understand if extra speakers could be connected for larger indoor use.
Yes, the first one seems good quality. Pyle, LOL, no it is better to buy directly from Chinese vendors. The second one is no different from the Ahuja Radio units (I have a feeling Ahuja also imports from China).

Difficult to go by power ratings mentioned. Knowing Ahuja, I expect them to have declared true RMS power output (20W RMS). Yet Pyle seems to say 85W - W what? RMS, Peak, Music, what? 20W RMS can be very creatively quoted as 85W (leaving out Peak or Music).

No, the first one is a closed system, i.e. it cannot be expanded to drive more speakers. You will still need to buy more than one piece if you want greater coverage.

Quote:
... has a 3.5 mm audio output jack so I can connect it to another amp with more speakers if I need to.
Uh-oh! No, that is meant to connect a wired microphone (or an electric guitar if you will) to that unit, not as output to another unit.
Old 8th November 2012, 21:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the first one seems good quality.
Thanks Der Alte. So you recommend I get this unit from the tech specs you may have read?

I will run through the specs again to understand clearly what I'm getting into here.
Old 20th November 2012, 21:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

So I read a little line in the introduction to this set: http://www.amazon.com/Hisonic-portab...d_sim_sbs_MI_2 The Hisonic piece. Says that its rated at 70 W peak power. What does peak power mean? PMPO? I've written to them and no answer yet.

Secondly, I've been toying with the idea of getting this too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

A Sennheiser wireless lavalier mic. Supposed to be the best in the business out there. What do I want to do with this?

1. Record top notch quality audio during talks by the speaker with zero interference.
2. Connect this mic to an amp/speaker set like the hisonic one above or anything else that may be in the vicinity so that this doubles up as a speaker mic as well.
3. Totally wireless, so no wires, or big microphones sitting in front of the speaker which are an annoying distraction and disturbs clear view of the speaker.

Are these three things possible with this single lavalier mic? Its expensive, yes, but its a sennheiser...and after using a sennheiser headset for the very first time in my life, I'm kinda sold on them.