Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2013, 09:47   #16
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

I have configured my Foscams to send email on motion detect. If burglars tamper with the camera system atleast you get this alert.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 09:19   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
....During the past few months, I have been concerned quite a lot about safety and security
Nice setup there!

Name:  Outcam2.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  59.5 KB

Just one word of advice, please ensure that your cabling is not visible/ accessible from outside. I can see the cable hanging out in the pics. If there is a blind spot somewhere miscreants can easily snap the cable and disable the cameras. That would make the whole purpose of the setup pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There are a number of ways this can be achieved. The simplest being is to connect the DVR to a computer and then remotely login to that computer via the internet by using something like Teamviewer.
I would not consider Team Viewer as an option at all, mainly because of two reasons. One, you need a computer that is always ON. Two, the video playback thru' team viewer lags a lot. And the video quality is far below the minimum acceptable standards. All this over a 4MBPS connection on both ends.

The best option would be to obtain a static IP and connect your router to your DVR and view it remotely from anywhere in the world using a third party SW.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 09:30   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Nice setup there!

Attachment 1038315

Just one word of advice, please ensure that your cabling is not visible/ accessible from outside. I can see the cable hanging out in the pics. If there is a blind spot somewhere miscreants can easily snap the cable and disable the cameras. That would make the whole purpose of the setup pointless.



I would not consider Team Viewer as an option at all, mainly because of two reasons. One, you need a computer that is always ON. Two, the video playback thru' team viewer lags a lot. And the video quality is far below the minimum acceptable standards. All this over a 4MBPS connection on both ends.

The best option would be to obtain a static IP and connect your router to your DVR and view it remotely from anywhere in the world using a third party SW.
Thanks for the suggestion WarwithWheels! I had thought about this point, but this is on an outdoor wall, with no option for internal cabling and I was forced to route in this manner. What I have done is to mount the camera and cabling at a height of 10 ft, so that it is not accessible too easily. The camera is inside my driveway (within the gates), so hopefully should not be too exposed.

The DVR I have suggested two softwares for Client side access on Android - Asee+ and Naway and unfortunately I can't get either to work!
I have setup my Dyndns account and also port forwarding on the router, but still can't get the remote view yet. Any ideas on what I may be missing..?

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 10:29   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
..What I have done is to mount the camera and cabling at a height of 10 ft, so that it is not accessible too easily. The camera is inside my driveway (within the gates), so hopefully should not be too exposed.
Hmm... you could prolly use at-least a 1/2 inch PVC plumbing pipe ( or good quality Electrical pipe) and mount it on the external wall using clamps which should be quite fool proof. Just give it a thought!

As for the remote viewing, I have been told about the Static IP method only. But there are plenty of other workarounds too which I am not too sure of. May be the IT gurus out here can help us out!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th January 2013 at 10:30.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 11:05   #20
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The DVR I have suggested two softwares for Client side access on Android - Asee+ and Naway and unfortunately I can't get either to work!
I have setup my Dyndns account and also port forwarding on the router, but still can't get the remote view yet. Any ideas on what I may be missing..?

Regards,
Behemoth
Did you actually try accessing this from an external network? I was thinking that my setup was not working too. Then I read somewhere about an issue if you are in the same network on the port forwarding.

Try accessing from your cell 2/3G

Another issue could be multiple routers. If you have two routers then your port forwarding will not work.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 11:14   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you actually try accessing this from an external network? I was thinking that my setup was not working too. Then I read somewhere about an issue if you are in the same network on the port forwarding.

Try accessing from your cell 2/3G

Another issue could be multiple routers. If you have two routers then your port forwarding will not work.
Yes, I did try through my Tata Photon dialer too on my laptop and still doesn't work. I am able to see the ports as open on my Router and also the port forwarding is configured, but still no luck in seeing the video stream.
I have only one router in my setup, so that should also not be an issue.

Before this setup, I was using a standalone IP camera and I could access that using the same port forwarding setup, but with this DVR setup the same settings are not working
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,788
Thanked: 3,411 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Someone had posted these suggestions for networking these type of cameras, if it could help -

Quote:
As far as setup goes, if you understand networking and port-forwarding, these are my recommendations:

1) Do NOT install the software on the CD.
2) Connect the camera by Cat-5 wire to your computer.
3) Login to your router (via browser) and find the IP address assigned to your camera.
4) Login to the camera at that IP address (via browser) and IMMEDIATELY turn OFF the DHCP.
5) Give your camera a fixed IP address on your network and fill in the subnet mask with what you normally use.
6) The Gateway and DNS fields should normally be the IP address of your router.
7) Fill in the SSID, encryption type, and share key used by your wireless network.
8) Pick a 4 digit number to use for the HTTP port number. (I have no idea what "Network Lamp" is so I left it checked.)
9) Disconnect the Cat-5 cable and re-boot the camera.
10) Re-login to the camera at the new fixed IP address to verify that everything's working.
11) Login to your router and set a port-forwarding entry to map to the fixed IP address and HTTP port you gave your camera.
12) Use the "What's My IP" site to find your outside IP address.
13) Enter your outside IP address and HTTP port number into a browser and verify that you can get into the camera from outside your house.
14) You're done.

UPDATE #1:
Under the Mail Service Settings there is a checkbox named "Report Internet IP by Mail". If you check this, when you ISP gives you a new external IP address or when the camera reboots because of a power failure, the camera will email you the current external IP address and port! A very nice feature for those of us who prefer not to use DDNS services.

UPDATE #2:
The best app I've found for viewing IP camera feeds on a smartphone or tablet is IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th January 2013 at 11:26.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 14:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,476 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Cameras can be set through DVR to start recording when they sense motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What happens if I want audio also along with the image? Is that possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
So either one can have motion sensor or cameras, can one have both, or does it need two systems to be installed?
Also, how does one monitor things remotely? While away from home? Is that possible at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
The sensors are fastened to all the windows and doors of the house, can be controlled by mobile phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
...login to that computer via the internet...
A few thoughts and questions, to the experts and those that have installed security systems already:

1. Why would we need to have a constant video recording, rather than multiple still captures (in high resolution) in case any motion is detected? After all, continuous video monitoring may be justified in cases of shops/malls, to prevent shop-lifting etc. This way, I suppose cost of hardware/cabling etc. would be lower - yet we can identify the unauthorized person who triggered the camera(s).

2. In my residential premises, any unauthorized entry/movement at all means I need to know who has entered, and the system has to trigger a remote alarm to notify me, as well as a local alarm to deter the person. How do I do this? Can an IP camera capture high res images, and use my wi-fi to send me a mail immediately with the photos attached?

3. For remote access control systems, can I use a system without fingerprints (perhaps using 4-digit or 6-digit codes), where I can reset and change the codes at will, even remotely? For example, I want my maid to go into the house and clean up once a week while I am not there, but she cannot have free access all the time - so I call her and tell her the code on the phone, and once she is done, I re-change the code to prevent further entry - is this doable?

4. What happens during power outages? Do these systems have any inbuilt backup? For how long? For example, would I be unable to get into my home in case the access control system is not powered up?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 16:38   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

A few thoughts and questions, to the experts and those that have installed security systems already:

1. Why would we need to have a constant video recording, rather than multiple still captures (in high resolution) in case any motion is detected? After all, continuous video monitoring may be justified in cases of shops/malls, to prevent shop-lifting etc. This way, I suppose cost of hardware/cabling etc. would be lower - yet we can identify the unauthorized person who triggered the camera(s).

2. In my residential premises, any unauthorized entry/movement at all means I need to know who has entered, and the system has to trigger a remote alarm to notify me, as well as a local alarm to deter the person. How do I do this? Can an IP camera capture high res images, and use my wi-fi to send me a mail immediately with the photos attached?

3. For remote access control systems, can I use a system without fingerprints (perhaps using 4-digit or 6-digit codes), where I can reset and change the codes at will, even remotely? For example, I want my maid to go into the house and clean up once a week while I am not there, but she cannot have free access all the time - so I call her and tell her the code on the phone, and once she is done, I re-change the code to prevent further entry - is this doable?

4. What happens during power outages? Do these systems have any inbuilt backup? For how long? For example, would I be unable to get into my home in case the access control system is not powered up?
1. I used to prefer constant recording as my old cameras weren't able to sense motion reliably any longer!
+ there's an added advantage of tracking fast moving objects like cars and bikes at high speed before they even trigger the camera to start recording!

You can easily set the cameras to start recording in case anything moves in their FOV!
You can even set the time when you want the cameras to record based on motion sensing or continuous! (eg. Like at night you could set it to motion sensing and during busy hrs of the day you can set continuous mode! The dvr then will switch automatically between the modes based on time)

2. You can set the dvr to sound warning beeps(fairly loud) in case the cameras are triggered to start recording! It even sounds when any camera feed loss is detected!

Foscam ip camera can be set to send you an email on motion detection with a snapshot of what triggered it! You can view live feed on your Android phone from it and hear what's going on! You can even talkback via a speaker on the camera!
No automated alarms though!

3. Best way would be in your case to remotely unlock the door directly via Internet. I'm sure there are systems that can be remotely opened and locked at will but also accept keypad codes!

4. Most of these locks do have a manual override!

Last edited by sohail99 : 14th January 2013 at 17:02.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 17:39   #25
BHPian
 
k2max6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 483
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Any reviews for DLink DCS-930 wifi camera ?
Or any other cheaper options for wireless cameras which can be viewed remotely on ios or android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

3. For remote access control systems, can I use a system without fingerprints (perhaps using 4-digit or 6-digit codes), where I can reset and change the codes at will, even remotely? For example, I want my maid to go into the house and clean up once a week while I am not there, but she cannot have free access all the time - so I call her and tell her the code on the phone, and once she is done, I re-change the code to prevent further entry - is this doable?

4. What happens during power outages? Do these systems have any inbuilt backup? For how long? For example, would I be unable to get into my home in case the access control system is not powered up?
https://lockitron.com/preorder

In case of a power outage you can still enter your home using bluetooth/NFC/ normal key. But remote unlock will work only if your wifi modem has power backup.

Maybe if the next gen takes a 3G sim then power outage won't be a problem but recharging the batteries might be a challenge.

Also check out
http://www.kwikset.com/SmartSecurity.../OverView.aspx

Last edited by k2max6 : 15th January 2013 at 17:59.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 22:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,476 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
...at night you could set it to motion sensing and during busy hrs of the day you can set continuous mode!

Foscam ip camera can be set to send you an email on motion detection with a snapshot of what triggered it!

I'm sure there are systems that can be remotely opened and locked at will but also accept keypad codes!

4. Most of these locks do have a manual override!
@sohail99, k2max6: Thank you so much for your inputs. Cleared a few doubts I had in my mind. Lockitron seems to be an interesting gizmo. Wonder how long it will take for clones to come out in the market for much less.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 17:31   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 59
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

That's a super neat setup there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, I did try through my Tata Photon dialer too on my laptop and still doesn't work. I am able to see the ports as open on my Router and also the port forwarding is configured, but still no luck in seeing the video stream.
I have only one router in my setup, so that should also not be an issue.
Are you able to see the open ports or connect to the particular port on your IP from the internet. Not sure if you have tried already - from the Command prompt or shell (depending on the OS and if protocol is TCP).

> telnet IP-Address Port-number

If the protocol is UDP you can use a port scanner.
animeshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:02   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Excellent ,this came at right time . Thanks for putting it up .

Guys if you can also recommend the brands of the products used it will be better .

1. Can I just have video display without recording(recording HDD can be added later) ? . Just if some one opens the gate, I just switch the video input on remote of TV and the video of camera opens up on TV .

2.How costly at IR video cameras of good resolution compared to normal video cameras ?

Last edited by black12rr : 21st January 2013 at 18:04.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:22   #29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 0
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Excellent ,this came at right time . Thanks for putting it up .

Guys if you can also recommend the brands of the products used it will be better .

1. Can I just have video display without recording(recording HDD can be added later) ? . Just if some one opens the gate, I just switch the video input on remote of TV and the video of camera opens up on TV .

2.How costly at IR video cameras of good resolution compared to normal video cameras ?
A simpler solution that many people has installed like in Karol Bagh, Delhi is to have a doorbell switch (could be wireless one for that matter) at the ground floor near the camera. If someone wants to come in they ring the bell, owner sees the face and opens the gate (electronic gate opener activated via a relay)

hope it helps! and yes really informative post and discussions. was myself thinking of a dIY on this but wanted it in a remote place where power and internet is erratic (for remote viewing purpose). Even 3G is not available there.

Can someone comment on performance of remote viewing (of an IP CAM) over say a 2G (EDGE/GPRS) connection? I guess i could configure it to dump pics on a ftp site in any case if connection is too slow?

Apmeena
apmeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:48   #30
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, I did try through my Tata Photon dialer too on my laptop and still doesn't work. I am able to see the ports as open on my Router and also the port forwarding is configured, but still no luck in seeing the video stream.
I have only one router in my setup, so that should also not be an issue.

Before this setup, I was using a standalone IP camera and I could access that using the same port forwarding setup, but with this DVR setup the same settings are not working
We have a 16 channel DVR (http://q-see.com/products/product_de...id=110&pid=107) installed at our shop. The setup was behind an ADSL modem and a wifi router. I had to port-forward 2 ports for the whole thing to work. The DVR should be accessible from outside along with access to the server inside the DVR that streams the video. The user manual provided along with your DVR should have the details. Now I can watch the shop using my smart phone even on a 2G connection.
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: RTO Hypothecation Removal Process - Step by Step Guide Technocrat On owning a car 345 7th June 2017 16:35
Step by step guide to restoration Ricky_63 Post-War 21 2nd June 2010 10:52
DIY - Step by Step Guide on Replacing Timing Belt in Camry ssanjeev DIY - Do it yourself 14 6th September 2009 01:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks