Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 02:13   #361
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,124
Thanked: 835 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I struggled with 2Mbps from Airtel for years, finally asked them for an upgrade to 16Mbps but apparently its "technically infeasible". I got so mad I switched to ACT's FTTH service with the 25Mbps/60GB plan. Check out the speed I get now!
Just one word to say.....OMG!!!
Didn't you get the whole 2Mbps on Airtel??
How much do you pay now to ACT.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 12:17   #362
BHPian
 
ajitkommini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 483
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Just one word to say.....OMG!!!
Didn't you get the whole 2Mbps on Airtel??
How much do you pay now to ACT.
Well I used to get around 1.5 to 2 most times. Other than that airtel service quality was good. But I now need higher speed for stuff like google TV. I'll post more details about this in a separate thread. The cost for my act plan is around 1400 per month. Around the same as airtel.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 03:34   #363
BHPian
 
anmolbedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 58
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I am in Tokyo right now and getting speeds upto 64 mbps in my hotel on free Wifi. Amazing.
anmolbedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 08:12   #364
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,435
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I struggled with 2Mbps from Airtel for years, finally asked them for an upgrade to 16Mbps but apparently its "technically infeasible". I got so mad I switched to ACT's FTTH service with the 25Mbps/60GB plan. Check out the speed I get now!
Good to see this. But please keep all your Airtel closure documents, settlement account proofs etc for at least 2-3 years minimum. Suddenly one day you may a notice that you have not paid a bill for a certain time period when in realty you have closed the account!

Another important that I also realised quite some time back is till the time we feel the need we dont go back to look at what more is available. Also we only go when we fell we need to upgrade. Lets say if we are happy with the current service (Bandwidth in this case) we dont care much. We just keep it status quo and keep paying the bills. What has happened in the meanwhile is since technology has scaled, the price we pay for our current service has gone down. And for the same price we can potentially get better service. So from that point we should also be looking out. Even if not changing the provider, look for a better service from the same provider at least.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2013 at 08:40.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 10:44   #365
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Well I used to get around 1.5 to 2 most times. Other than that airtel service quality was good. But I now need higher speed for stuff like google TV. I'll post more details about this in a separate thread. The cost for my act plan is around 1400 per month. Around the same as airtel.
Do let us know your experience with Act. I currently live in JP Ngr and am on Airtel 1050 2mbps/30gb plan. For some reason they say due to some cabling issue they cannot upgrade the plan.

Act sounds interesting however I see a lot of bad reviews and complaints.
http://broadbandforum.co/forum/178-act-broadband/
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 10:58   #366
BHPian
 
ajitkommini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 483
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good to see this. But please keep all your Airtel closure documents, settlement account proofs etc for at least 2-3 years minimum. Suddenly one day you may a notice that you have not paid a bill for a certain time period when in realty you have closed the account!

Another important that I also realised quite some time back is till the time we feel the need we dont go back to look at what more is available. Also we only go when we fell we need to upgrade. Lets say if we are happy with the current service (Bandwidth in this case) we dont care much. We just keep it status quo and keep paying the bills. What has happened in the meanwhile is since technology has scaled, the price we pay for our current service has gone down. And for the same price we can potentially get better service. So from that point we should also be looking out. Even if not changing the provider, look for a better service from the same provider at least.
Thanks for the tip about keeping records. I will do that. Although I'm not planning to cancel the Airtel account entirely. I'll keep the landline telephone and maybe some minimal broadband as well just as a backup for the ACT one. So I'll continue to get bills from Airtel, just smaller ones. Your second point is a good one. I definitely was quite satisfied with my Airtel connection until I realised what else was available! makes one think what else one's missing out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Do let us know your experience with Act. I currently live in JP Ngr and am on Airtel 1050 2mbps/30gb plan. For some reason they say due to some cabling issue they cannot upgrade the plan.

Act sounds interesting however I see a lot of bad reviews and complaints.
http://broadbandforum.co/forum/178-act-broadband/
Yeah I did see some negative comments. I guess it varies depending on the area and who the local provider is etc. Right now I have both connections active while I evaluate the ACT one. For the same reason I didnt opt to pay 6 months bill in advance etc. (although if I did I could have got the router for free or 25GB extra download limit per month).
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:08   #367
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,435
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Thanks for the tip about keeping records. I will do that. Although I'm not planning to cancel the Airtel account entirely. I'll keep the landline telephone and maybe some minimal broadband as well just as a backup for the ACT one.
It happened with a friend of mine with another service provider. So I kept my records for at least 2-3 years. This was the case of a mobile service change. And sure enough I got a lawyer notice after 2 years of some bill I had not paid. I just mailed back the scanned copy of termination report and there it stopped!

Quote:
Your second point is a good one. I definitely was quite satisfied with my Airtel connection until I realised what else was available! makes one think what else one's missing out on.
Again happened to me. I had the 512kbps unlimited for 2-3 years quite some time back and was happily oblivious to the fact that world had changed and people were getting 1Mbps +. I refused the change saying, I did not need the Bandwidth. But when I realized the price for this was lower than what I was paying, it was an eye opener! Now I constantly keep looking for whats happening. At least its good to know what value of the service is for the money we pay, what its really worth !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 15:07   #368
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Be Very Very Cautious Before Getting Act

My ACT story has been painful to say the least.
PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS BEFORE YOU GO WITH THESE GUYS.

This has been the timeline (dates might be off by a day or two):
May 21st: I applied for the connection. The sales rep came to my house and collected approximately Rs. 4100/- for their 50mbps plan, 250 GB Plan. I was told I will be getting the connection in the next 7 working days
May 25th-May 29th: I didn't hear anything from ACT. Thus, I called them back. They did not even have my customer ID. The sales representative from Cox Town, had not filed my application. His name is Manju (+919945595541)
May 29th: I repeatedly kept calling Manju (who didn't even answer my calls once after taking the advance), and Customer Service. I kept Manju's number on repeat dial. After 50+ calls, finally he SMSd back saying that he will get his part done. I finally received a text from ACT saying that they received my money. I was given a new date (7 working days more)
June 4th - June 11th: I called up ACT customer service again, since I hadn't heard anything from them. I posted on their FB page, and must have called customer service at least 20 times. (average of 2-3 times daily). Again, nothing! The nodal officers' number doesn't work. Everyday I was given the same answer : In the mornings - "sir, today evening it will be done for sure", and in the evening - "sir, tomorrow morning it will be done for sure"
June 12th: Finally, I could reach Kiran (Nodal officer), who promised the connection would be done in 24 hours (I had also e-mailed Kiran)
June 13th: I get the connection at my home. 18 working days (24 normal days) after paying the deposit. This is not where the story ends.
July 2nd: In the night, the connection stops working.
July 3rd: Early morning I call up CS, file a complain. I am told that the connection will be fixed within 24 business hours
July 4th-July 5th: I hear nothing from ACT at all. I called up CS every day - and I am given the same answer "sir, they are fixing it right away. It will be done in a few hours". On July 5th, I lost patience, and refused to hang up till the guy escalated the call. He escalates the call to Kiran (Nodal officer). Kiran promises to call back in 10 minutes. In couple of hours, the issue is fixed, and my internet is up and running again. I am told, this will never happen again.
July 6th: Evening: Internet stops working again!
July 7th: I call up CS. They tell me that the issue will be fixed permanently this time. The issue is resolved later in the day (at around 7 PM)
July 9th (Today): I notice in the morning that my internet is down again. I call up CS again. They tell me that the issue will be resolved today, permanently. I try to reach Kiran, but he is unavailable.

Thankfully I didn't disconnect my Airtel 4mbps (I wanted ACT since Airtel doesn't have 16mbps in my area). I will wait for a few days, and if the next 2 weeks I face the same connectivity issues - I will disconnect the line. I will strongly advise people to not go for ACT.

Is this entire company out there to rob us with false claims? I just checked online reviews, and I don't seem to be the only one facing such issues.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 9th July 2013 at 15:31.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 15:43   #369
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,009
Thanked: 9,463 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Again happened to me. I had the 512kbps unlimited for 2-3 years quite some time back and was happily oblivious to the fact that world had changed and people were getting 1Mbps +. I refused the change saying, I did not need the Bandwidth. But when I realized the price for this was lower than what I was paying, it was an eye opener! Now I constantly keep looking for whats happening. At least its good to know what value of the service is for the money we pay, what its really worth !
This is EXACTLY the same that I have experienced. I was happily paying a rental of 1400+ for 2Mbps, 10GB FUP limit plus additional charges for Land line calls for more than 3 years since I upgraded to 2Mbps only to learn from a relative that he just got a new connection installed with 30GB FUP and 8Mbps at just 1150 Per month from Airtel!!

Every month I would buy 2 GB extra as that 10GB FUP was never enough and my total bill per month would run anything between 1800-2100 including taxes.

This is when I realised I am simply spending more and then I called up Airtel to change my plan and they say they have something for 1125, 2Mbps, 30 GB FUP with 300 Rs calls free! I asked them if they can give me 5Mbps and they told it was not feasible.

After using Airtel for 7 years, within the next 4 hours of my call, got a Hathway connection at 5Mbps, 30GB FUP for 927/- Including taxes. I have retained the Airtel connection with a basic rental of 400 only for Landline since its a number that I may need to carry wherever I go.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th July 2013 at 15:45.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 19:26   #370
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,420
Thanked: 2,064 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Anyone using the MTNL FTH at Delhi? The plans seem good - http://mtnldelhi.in/FTTH/promo_090212.html. But, I guess, it is not available at all locations.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 22:05   #371
BHPian
 
ulhas.ahirrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

My frustration is getting a broadband connection itself. Airtel does not have a port available in my area, Tikona is full of horror stories, Reliance, ACT, Hathway, BSNL none of them provide service in my area. I am using MTS dongle, that sucks too! I live near Godrej apartment - Hebbal. All 3G options are goof but expensive for my usage 15 GB+.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 22:17   #372
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

My happy story with bsnl broadband came to an end.
For more then 1 week Link is down and comes up only for few hours in a day.
Registered complaint several times but whenever bsnl personal turns up the link is up.

Seeing the logs I can see there no response from ppoe server. I can not be at home to attend this issue and my parents are at home during the week days.
In the last visit to my home the technician termed it as modem problem and showed the connection working by connecting another modem.
This is height of incompetence as he does not have my username and password.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 23:27   #373
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,242
Thanked: 1,212 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I was delighted to get an email from Beam Cable a couple of days back saying that my 20 mbps plan has been upgraded free of cost to 25 mbps with immediate effect. Further, the FUP limit has been raised to 70 GB from the earlier 40 GB. I pay Rs 1660 per month for this scheme.

I guess we guys in Hyderabad have the best broadband in the country.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 09:32   #374
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Anybody using Hathway in Thane area can share the contact details of Hathway please ? I'm on MTNL at present and the service is a big big neusance. The speeds are pethatic and the connection keeps going down intermittantly. When you call up the technician, he goes by the book and does the steps of resetting blindly. If you call up the phone help, same response. I'm really fed up with MTNL and need to change to a better service provider.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 11:42   #375
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,515 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Would like some feed back from Rail Wire users in Cochin? I know their Bangalore service is outstanding.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes, My Service - Digital interactions, fast service and service plans up to 200,000 km dZired The Indian Car Scene 3 20th July 2016 16:05
new internet connection dadudeonfire Shifting gears 21 16th October 2005 00:52
Internet : Connection speed vs download speed!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 16 21st May 2005 03:59
How fast is your internet connection? dan400 Shifting gears 1 12th August 2004 17:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks