Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th October 2015, 00:06   #721
BHPian

Default How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Buffering? What buffering lol. Waiting to download stuff? Nah, ain't nobody got time for that!
Nice! And here I was happy with 20mbps on Youbroadband fiber
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 10:52   #722
BHPian

Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Gosh, I'm jealous of you! Enjoy!

Question: with speeds like this, if you can't connect a PC or laptop directly to ACT but need to use Wi-Fi in-between, what kinds of Wi-Fi speeds do you get? I'd think though ACT is providing such incredible speeds, the Wi-Fi would be throttling it.
I have not checked this. but when it was 60Mbps, I used to get 60 - 72 Mbps. Normally, for a small home, and not too many connections we should not see too much of a drop in speed. At home, 2 mobiles and 2 tabs would be connected most of the time. That said I use Asus RT-AC87U which has theoretical speed of 450 Mbps.

These days any router supporting the 802.11n could support up to 300Mbps. If you are using a 802.11 a/b/g it could impact the speeds if the available internet speeds are quite high.

Also it depends on what we use these speeds for.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 27th October 2015 at 11:06.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 18:15   #723
BHPian

Anyone using CherryNet? I got a call from them for 100Mbps at 1499+taxes. Tempted! I am on Youbroadband Fiber and am happy as I pay about 900rs for 20Mbps today, with very little downtime. My plan is actually 12Mbps, but I get 20, maybe because of less subscribers in my area.
Old 27th October 2015, 19:46   #724
Senior - BHPian

I think Chennai is now the new broadband capital of India. What do you guys say?
Looks like they are just tapping directly to the undersea cable out there.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 19:51   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
That said I use Asus RT-AC87U which has theoretical speed of 450 Mbps.
Thanks. According to the Amazon India website, this router has a data rate of 2334 Mbps and is priced at Rs. 27.5 k ! Both astonishing numbers!

ACT is not available in my area. Airtel is the only reliable provider, and they cap out at 8 mbps; any increase in speed will only come from an expensive upgrade of infrastructure which they will not do.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 20:28   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think Chennai is now the new broadband capital of India. What do you guys say?
Looks like they are just tapping directly to the undersea cable out there.
I still think its Bangalore, but Chennai is catching up. Just check the Airtel plans in Bangalore for comparison. ACT is changing the game here. The problem is as long as there is no competition everyone is happy to provide sub-standard services. Now with ACT and Cherrynet competing with each other, and challenging others, the service providers are now forced to wake up. I would not have thought of going to a cable network had I not experienced Beam in Hyderabad. And when I came to Chennai, I found the reliable players like Airtel and BSNL not interested in providing competitive plans, while other players like You and few others had a poor reputation of customer service and actual speeds. I also liked the Cherrynet way of implementation where they terminate the optic cable at our location, rather than having a twisted pair or cat5 cable coming to our location, unfortunately they are not available in my street, and they had no plans to expand!! So not sure how good they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Thanks. According to the Amazon India website, this router has a data rate of 2334 Mbps and is priced at Rs. 27.5 k ! Both astonishing numbers!

ACT is not available in my area. Airtel is the only reliable provider, and they cap out at 8 mbps; any increase in speed will only come from an expensive upgrade of infrastructure which they will not do.
I always take those speed with loads of salt, and to be realistic I cannot test if the quoted speeds are supported. So I am happy if there is some headroom above the speed of what my ISP provides me. Otherwise its a fantastic router.

ACT is trying to aggressively expand. So if they start seeing queries from a location then they might expand if its viable and they get more business. Initially they were available towards south chennai in areas like Adyar, now they have started at anna nagar as well. It might be a good idea to keep polling them from time to time to check if they plan to expand into your area.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 11:53   #727
BHPian

I hope this is the right thread, I am terminating the broadband on my airtel as I dont use it anymore and am now entrenched with Youbroadband. It is very stable and good speed after they switched me to fiber, from Cable. Can anyone suggest the most basic airtel landline plan that I can switch to so I can retain the landline? I am in Chennai. Airtel site lists a plan Voice 350-Airtel/TN/21 - which will work out to about 420-450 a month, but I think the minimum TRAI plan of 180+taxes is what I am looking for. Couldnt find that on their site or it is well hidden...
Old 28th October 2015, 14:02   #728
BHPian

ACT just upgraded me to a 100 mbps line with 200 GB FUP; no additional monthly charges !

Name:  11224721_10100224440199695_8613793182534567324_n.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  12.0 KB
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 16:10   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
ACT just upgraded me to a 100 mbps line with 200 GB FUP; no additional monthly charges !
And here in Pune we feel happy with the Airtel 8mbps 40gb (1mbps thereafter) plan. A 100mbps with 200gb FUP is insane. What are the monthly charges for this? I pay 1150 with tax for 8mbps.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 16:18   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
And here in Pune we feel happy with the Airtel 8mbps 40gb (1mbps thereafter) plan. A 100mbps with 200gb FUP is insane. What are the monthly charges for this? I pay 1150 with tax for 8mbps.
With tax its 2279. This happened very suddenly in Chennai, one day we're struggling with 2Mbps lines and suddenly 40-50 mbps becomes the norm over night. 100 is fantastic. What really makes me happy is that I get what I pay for. When 60 was promised speed tests always came back with 58-61 and now after the upgrade test results are all above 90.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-untitled.png
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 23:18   #731
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense using 8.8.8.8 as DNS with a Hathway Cable internet connection? A friend has a Hathway connection and the other day his connection was behaving flakily. A small number of sites were accessible and most weren't. So I thought it might be a DNS issue. So on his Wifi router I checked the DHCP settings. The two DNS entries were set to 0.0.0.0 & 0.0.0.0 - I don't know how that works but I guess it must redirect to the default DNS of the provider. Anyway, I changed the first entry to 8.8.8.8 and rebooted the router and everything started working. So is it good idea to keep it at 8.8.8.8 & 0.0.0.0 or should I change it back to both 0.0.0.0 now that 0.0.0.0 seems to be working fine? Which is better?

Last edited by carboy : 29th October 2015 at 23:26.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 06:25   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Does it make sense using 8.8.8.8 as DNS with a Hathway Cable internet connection?
I always use the 8888 Dns as primary and 8844 as secondary. Wouldn't need the service provider dns usually.
Old 30th October 2015, 18:32   #733
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm facing issues with ACT broadband for not taking their box off of my house even after having requested since 2 weeks.

The way the wiring has been done directly to the meter, it often fuses off, also, that section of my building is looking bad.

Requesting them isn't working even after repeated calls. Any idea what else I can do ? I thought of cutting off their cables to other buildings, but will that be too extreme ?
WorkingGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 20:32   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Requesting them isn't working even after repeated calls. Any idea what else I can do ? I thought of cutting off their cables to other buildings, but will that be too extreme ?
Switch of the power to their box. Remove the power cable from your meter. You probably shouldn't cut the cables as it could cause unnecessary tension. Also put a lock on your meter box, if possible.
Old 1st November 2015, 11:16   #735
Senior - BHPian

I am on ACT Blaze. Per month it is Rs 1,049 and with service tax, final amount comes to Rs 1,195. During renewal, I opted for 12 month package (Rs 14,350). The benefits are,
1) Additional 2 months (13th & 14th months) free
2) Extra 25 GB every month free.

So in effect, I am paying Rs 1,025 for 75 GB per month, on 30 Mbps line.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote