Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:20   #766
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 781 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
2wire is reporting my ACT connection has a "download" speed of 956 Kbps. While a torrent is current downloading at 8.8 Mbps. I think I'll stick to speedtest.net !
Could be that 2wire server is slow. If you have 100Mps connection, to download at 100Mps, the server must serve the content at 100Mps . There isn't many servers that will serve a single client at that speed.
But it is possible to download at 1 Mbps from 100 servers and your aggregate speed is 100 Mbps.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 17:22   #767
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 884 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

This is what I get with my You Broadband 100 Mbps connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4949935920.png

It was installed today. Still have a BSNL ADSL 16 Mbps connection that I will use in parallel for a few months as a fall back.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th December 2015 at 17:30.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 23:57   #768
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This is what I get with my You Broadband 100 Mbps.
That is awesome. I requested them to up me to 100Mbps but got no response and I took up Cherrinet instead as a second connection. Right now Cherrinet is down and I have shifted my router to use my Youbroadband line. I feel Youbroadband is more consistent in speed and reliability in the fiber form. It was the worst isp in the initial coaxial cable form that I was provided.
I am likely to disconnect Cherrinet and switch back full time to Youbroadband by Jan end.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 00:16   #769
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

My ACT Broadband FUP (75GB) is getting exhausted too fast. I'd crossed 75GB by 24th Dec !

I've kept tab daily this month & keep wondering how it sometimes has massive jumps even though I wouldn't have used much that day. & Its not even that any data is being sync'd with other devices.

I'm concerned coz I actually rationed & limited my usage this month. Anyway, I bought extra data with "RESET FUP" option but even that is exhausted now!

The speed is good when its 30mbps, but then 512kbps feels like being crippled.

Requested they allow a switch option of sorts so we can use internet at 512kbps when I'm not consuming.

Tired of perpetually waiting at their call center numbers & apparently theres NO other way of filing a complaint!

False responses on Twitter didn't shock me as much as seeing the kind of crap their "official account" was tweeting!

Any suggestions what to do? & how to further track internet usage?
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 09:01   #770
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 781 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Tired of perpetually waiting at their call center numbers & apparently theres NO other way of filing a complaint!
I got this message on my phone. When you send the message, they will register the complaint and provide you the number. Usually they will resolve in a day.
Quote:
Dear Patron, You can now register your service related complaints through your registered mobile no. Just Type <TC COM> and send it to 9945999459 as SMS.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 09:17   #771
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Any suggestions what to do? & how to further track internet usage?
check your router to see if you have metering available there as an option. I have 125Gb with Cherrinet and I seem to exhaust this within 20 days. However I do download stuff. I do have this metering option on my router and plan to check this when my next months cycle starts.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 09:17   #772
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 884 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
That is awesome. I requested them to up me to 100Mbps but got no response and I took up Cherrinet instead as a second connection. Right now Cherrinet is down and I have shifted my router to use my Youbroadband line. I feel Youbroadband is more consistent in speed and reliability in the fiber form. It was the worst isp in the initial coaxial cable form that I was provided. I am likely to disconnect Cherrinet and switch back full time to Youbroadband by Jan end.
These guys have installed a fibre optic cable to one of the housing colony buildings and have pulled a 4 core Ethernet network cable from their aggregator switch into my home. It is fast alright!

But I have read a lot of negative feedback on YBB and am still retaining my BSNL connection as a backup for a few months. Will stop the ADSL service if YBB turns out to be reliable. Plan to use a 3G/4G dongle as a backup thereafter.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 10:21   #773
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
These guys have installed a fibre optic cable to one of the housing colony buildings and have pulled a 4 core Ethernet network cable from their aggregator switch into my home. It is fast alright!
I have the aggregator at the side of my house and the power to it is from one of my outside bulb sockets. I have a 2 pair Ethernet cable coming into my hall from the switch. I wired this myself as I had the key to their switch for some time. I get 20Mbps consistent speed up and down on a 12Mbps subscription. In the past 6 months or so I have had little downtime with YBB but they are an unprofessional lot compared to other providers. It's best to retain a backup with any of these guys.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 10:44   #774
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 884 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
In the past 6 months or so I have had little downtime with YBB but they are an unprofessional lot compared to other providers. It's best to retain a backup with any of these guys.
Yes, I definitely plan to have a backup. The blokes who came over to configure the connection didn't seem very professional to me. Gave me a time slot and turned up 1-2 hours later. A very typical Indian attitude where one doesn't value the time of others.

Believe it or not BSNL has been reliable for nearly all of the approx 9.5 years that I've been using it. But the VDSL DSLAM at the local exchange seems to be a bit flaky and drops the link every once in a while. Their exchange engineer had given me a heads-up about this behavior before I went in for a speed upgrade from 8 to 16 Mbps. Unfortunately BSNL's BB prices have been on an upward march with no corresponding increase in speed or data allowances which makes it lesser VFM today that it was in the past. It is this inflationary trend which made me consider other providers.

Anyways, fingers crossed with YBB. As of now it's a great speed upgrade and VFM for the money paid. I signed up for a 3 month connection to test it out and told them very specifically about the bad feedback I had been reading. Let's see how things go. I'll probably wind up with either a low(er) speed BSNL DSL connection or a data dongle as a backup for YBB.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th December 2015 at 10:45.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:14   #775
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
That is awesome. I requested them to up me to 100Mbps but got no response and I took up Cherrinet instead as a second connection. Right now Cherrinet is down and I have shifted my router to use my Youbroadband line. I feel Youbroadband is more consistent in speed and reliability in the fiber form. It was the worst isp in the initial coaxial cable form that I was provided.
I am likely to disconnect Cherrinet and switch back full time to Youbroadband by Jan end.
Interesting to see user feedback. Keep us posted on how both the Cherrinet and You BB perform. I might take one of them as a backup, and would prefer to have less hassles. Earlier the feedback on You BB was very bad, and response was worse. I had asked them to provide a connection nearly 2 years back, and for a month had no response. I then asked them to cancel it, and had the cheque blocked. If things have improved dont mind giving them another chance!! Also You BB does not give any discounts if we take an annual plan, which is bad. Does You BB use a regular cable router, or something different ? My router allows one of the ports to be used as backup...
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:27   #776
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Earlier the feedback on You BB was very bad, and response was worse. If things have improved dont mind giving them another chance!! My router allows one of the ports to be used as backup...
Do not take the YBB Cable connection as internet. It will be hell for you. If they have fiber in your area, you can take that. It rarely goes down and can be remotely managed and is not prone to cable cuts etc. Their best bang for the buck plan is the 12Mbps at about 2750 per month or near abouts that amount. Take it quarterly and never pay any of these guys advance for a year. It is an unnecessary hassle if their services do go down.
On the fiber plan they provide you an ethernet cable into your home and any normal router will work just fine. On the cable connection, you will need a Cable modem (not a DSL one) that takes in a coaxial cable and gives out an ethernet port to connect to a normal router..
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:40   #777
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,019
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Courtesy free WiFi @ Ola Prime cab ride in Mumbai


Last edited by DCEite : 29th December 2015 at 12:41.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:40   #778
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Do not take the YBB Cable connection as internet. It will be hell for you. If they have fiber in your area, you can take that. It rarely goes down and can be remotely managed and is not prone to cable cuts etc. ......
Thanks for the update. Let me check. But I would assume that if the 60Mbpps then the 100 would also be fiber. It was tempting to see the 100 Mbps to be Rs.1732. And now that you mention, I notice the Fiber plan stating Rs. 2289 per month!!

Also not sure how honest their marketing/sales teams are, and if they are , how knowledgeable!
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 16:47   #779
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 884 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Also You BB does not give any discounts if we take an annual plan, which is bad. Does You BB use a regular cable router, or something different ? My router allows one of the ports to be used as backup...
YBB gives an approximately 10% increase in your data allowance on quarterly, biannual & annual plans. There are no rebates in subscription prices but the extra data makes up for it.

Where I live, YBB uses a FTTP/FTTC implementation with connectivity thru a flat ethernet cable. It is unbelievably thin (like a larger version of the twisted pair telephone cable) and very unlike the 8 core/4 pair rounded ethernet cable we are all used to. This helps them pass the cable thru small spaces. Connectivity options may vary from area to area in your city. Best to check with them.

Interesting thing is Reliance installed fibre optic cable in my building several years ago. I am waiting for them to start their broadband FTTH services in earnest some day. BSNL has also introduced FTTH but prices are prohibitively expensive and it's not available at my residence just yet.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 18:54   #780
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
YBB gives an approximately 10% increase in your data allowance on quarterly, biannual & annual plans. There are no rebates in subscription prices but the extra data makes up for it.

Where I live, YBB uses a FTTP/FTTC implementation with connectivity thru a flat ethernet cable. It is unbelievably thin (like a larger version of the twisted pair telephone cable) and very unlike the 8 core/4 pair rounded ethernet cable we are all used to. This helps them pass the cable thru small spaces. Connectivity options may vary from area to area in your city. Best to check with them.

Interesting thing is Reliance installed fibre optic cable in my building several years ago. I am waiting for them to start their broadband FTTH services in earnest some day. BSNL has also introduced FTTH but prices are prohibitively expensive and it's not available at my residence just yet.
Thanks, have raised a query, let see. I had earlier checked with BSNL, but in chennai, they have provided only in metrozone!!
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes, My Service - Digital interactions, fast service and service plans up to 200,000 km dZired The Indian Car Scene 3 20th July 2016 16:05
new internet connection dadudeonfire Shifting gears 21 16th October 2005 00:52
Internet : Connection speed vs download speed!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 16 21st May 2005 03:59
How fast is your internet connection? dan400 Shifting gears 1 12th August 2004 17:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks